Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The S(chizophrenic) & P(sychotic) 500 | ZeroHedge
- DoRKa THe GeeK... | ZeroHedge
- Global Markets Up on PBOC Move | Financial Sense
- North Carolina Man's Obituary "Respectfully Asks That You Not Vote For Hillary In 2016" | ZeroHedge
- China Floats QE Trial Balloon, PBoC May Launch LTROs | ZeroHedge
- Despite Urges And Threats, Greece Remains Defiant, Won't "Budge On Red Lines" Even As Russia Denies Gas Deal | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap Apr 20, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Zulu king denies triggering South Africa attacks | Business Insider
- Tim Tebow is signing with the Eagles | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- IBM: We are KILLING it in our hottest, most important markets (IBM) | Business Insider
- HBO just picked up Vimeo's original series about pot dealers | Business Insider
- Greece will not cross 'red lines' on debt talks:... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek