Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Pending Home Sales Drop In March - Stagnant For 2 Years | ZeroHedge
- McClellan: "Gobs of Liquidity" to Fuel Markets Higher | Financial Sense
- Ontario Finally Moves to Douse Real Estate Inferno | Financial Sense
- Peso Plunges As White House Plans NAFTA Withdrawal Executive Order | ZeroHedge
- Populism and the Long-Term Debt Cycle | Financial Sense
- US Consumers Tap Out: Credit Card Defaults Surge To 4 Year High And It's Getting Worse | ZeroHedge
- Measuring Hard and Soft Power in a Potential War With North Korea | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Pentagon: Two US service members killed fighting ISIS in... | Business Insider
- What it takes to be accepted to Harvard Business School, from a current student who... | Business Insider
- A fraud expert reveals 4 body language 'hotspots' that show if... | Business Insider
- Republican lawmakers urge Trump stay in the Paris climate agreement,... | Business Insider
- The amount of space junk around Earth has hit a critical point — and it could... | Business Insider
- A small investment bank you've probably never heard of is killing it in... | Business Insider
- You’ve been reading 'resting b---- face' all wrong - here's what... | Business Insider