Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "The Time Is Now" For Markets To Price In China's Next Slowdown, A Gloomy Morgan Stanley Warns | ZeroHedge
- Governments Are Tightening the Noose on Tax Evasion | Financial Sense
- Disruptors of Financial Technology | ZeroHedge
- For First Time Since World War II, "Right-Wing, Anti-Immigrant, Euroskeptic" Set To Become President Of Austria | ZeroHedge
- Governments Create Monopolies And Cause Worker-Exploitation, Not Free-Markets | ZeroHedge
- Iran Mocks Obama Again, Test-Fires 2 More Ballistic Missiles | ZeroHedge
- Dramatic Time-Lapse Animation Showing America's Absurd Million Dollar Home Bubbles | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Angry Birds' knocks 'Captain America' off the top spot... | Business Insider
- The US is fully lifting its lethal arms embargo in Vietnam | Business Insider
- David Letterman says retirement has ruined his self-esteem | Business Insider
- Fully understand the Fintech Ecosystem with this report | Business Insider
- The family of a baseball legend is suing 'Big Tobacco’ over his death from... | Business Insider
- Here's a super-quick guide to what traders are talking about right now | Business Insider
- Yahoo says Marissa Mayer faced 'specific security threats... | Business Insider