Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Robots Will Soon Take Over Building London Skyscrapers Says CEO of Large UK Construction Firm | Financial Sense
- The Growth of the Anti-Establishment Movement Outside the West | Financial Sense
- 'Angry' Davids Vs. 'Complacent' Goliaths: Social Revolution Looms | ZeroHedge
- Janet Yellen Testimony Live Feed: Five Key Things To Look For | ZeroHedge
- A Force For Good? | ZeroHedge
- What A Commodity Trading Legend Is Buying Ahead Of The Next Crisis | ZeroHedge
- The Debate Results - Who Won? Who Lost? Who Was The Mystery Third Debater? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why beard oil is the most important product every guy with facial hair should use | Business Insider
- 4 unexpected ways bad employees destroy companies | Business Insider
- There's a strong chance that oil may never rebound | Business Insider
- It's not the oil slump that's pushing energy... | Business Insider
- Saudi stocks are tanking after... | Business Insider
- 12 surprising psychological reasons someone... | Business Insider
- Donald Trump faces a debate trap | Business Insider