Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Treasury Vol Crashes To 2016 Lows | ZeroHedge
- With Janet Yellen Just Hours Away, Directionless Markets Wait For A Signal | ZeroHedge
- Vice Chairman Of South Korea Conglomerate Lotte Hangs Himself Hours Before Criminal Probe | ZeroHedge
- Goldman: "Yellen Remarks Point To Higher Odds Of September Hike", Market Disagrees | ZeroHedge
- At least 1 Dead, Multiple Injured In Major Explosion At Belgian Sports Complex | ZeroHedge
- How to Leave the European Union | Financial Sense
- The 5 Incredible Things To Do To Live A Charmed Life | Altucher Confidential
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 9 hidden Xbox One features only power users know about (MSFT) | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- THE PAYMENTS INDUSTRY EXPLAINED: The Trends Creating New Winners And Losers In The Card... | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- This 'head hammock' could take airplane naps to... | Business Insider
- Something odd is going on in the market, and it could be setting us up for a... | Business Insider
- Walmart, Kroger, and Dollar General are slashing prices | Business Insider