Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- December Macro Update: Employment Growth Is Decelerating | Financial Sense
- North Dakota Tribes, Activists Win After US Denies Permit Needed To Complete Dakota Access Pipeline | ZeroHedge
- After ISIS Machete Attack, Ohio Students Still Unable To Say The Word "Terrorist" | ZeroHedge
- Wall Street Analysts Are Slowly Losing It | ZeroHedge
- As Dakota Celebrates, Trump Advisors Propose Privatizing Oil-Rich Indian Reservations | ZeroHedge
- 10 Reasons You Should Quit Your Day Job But Not Your Day Dream | Altucher Confidential
- The Deepening Of The Deep State | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Bryce Harper reportedly wants a $400 million contract and now it sounds... | Business Insider
- A 'Westworld' site has an Easter egg hidden in it hinting at the return of a... | Business Insider
- Here's what happened the last time Howard Schultz stepped down as... | Business Insider
- Investors are turning to Japan as the US and Europe... | Business Insider
- China's demographic future has a big problem | Business Insider
- North Carolina governor Pat McCrory concedes, handing election to Democrat Roy Cooper... | Business Insider
- George Lucas finally saw 'Rogue One,' and he really liked it | Business Insider