Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- We Have Entered The Mania Phase: Market Complacency Has Never Been Higher | ZeroHedge
- Argentina’s Growing Dependency on Beijing | Financial Sense
- MeMORiaL DaY 2015: THe LaND OF THE FRee | ZeroHedge
- GDP Seasonal Adjustment: There’s No Smoking Gun | Financial Sense
- Bonds - Managing Duration and Interest Rate Risk | Financial Sense
- Arab Spring 2.0: Wahhabis Go Nuclear | ZeroHedge
- Bank Of England Accidentally E-mails Top-Secret Brexit Plan To Newspaper | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Iraq forces 'attack IS east of Ramadi' | Business Insider
- Two years before... | Business Insider
- Poles to vote in presidential cliffhanger | Business Insider
- A new short movie claims to be 'The World's Most Relaxing Film' — see... | Business Insider
- IS seizes Iraqi side of key Syria border crossing | Business Insider
- California beach town cleans up after pipeline rupture | Business Insider
- Federer brings curtain up on French Open | Business Insider