Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Central Banks Are "Malicious Tools Of Wholesale Cultural Destruction" | ZeroHedge
- The Hidden Agenda Behind Saudi Arabia’s Market Share Strategy | ZeroHedge
- NWO (revisited again and again)... | ZeroHedge
- Amid Low Oil Prices, OPEC's Divisions Deepen | Financial Sense
- Caught On Tape: 800 Angry Farmers Storm Greek Ministry, Beat Cops With Shepherd's Sticks | ZeroHedge
- The Urban Bubble in Commercial Real Estate | Financial Sense
- The Recognition Of China's NPLs Has Begun: A Chinese Bad Loan Is Trying To Find A U.S. Buyer | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- We spent a night out on the town with Tablelist, the app that can get you into... | Business Insider
- TED CRUZ: Obama shouldn't appoint Justice Scalia's successor | Business Insider
- Chicago's pension problem has reached a 'boiling point' | Business Insider
- Civilian casualties in Afghanistan have hit record highs | Business Insider
- Here’s everything you should consider before buying a new tablet | Business Insider
- These were the tallest skyscrapers completed in 2015 | Business Insider
- Google and Alphabet's 20 most ambitious moonshot projects | Business Insider