Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Venezuela's Transformation To Socialist Utopia Is Nearly Complete As Its Factories Grind To A Halt | ZeroHedge
- The Baltic Dry Index Collapses To 18-Month Lows; Worst July Since 1986 | ZeroHedge
- In Potentially "Lethal Blow" For Obamacare, US Appeals Court Finds Insurance Subsidies Invalid In Most States | ZeroHedge
- How Effective Have The Fed's QE Programs Been? | ZeroHedge
- Congressional Hearing On Hedge Fund Tax Evasion Through "Fictional Derivatives" - Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
- Gold Dumped (Pre-CPI) And Pumped (Post-CPI) | ZeroHedge
- Malaysian Airlines In Hot Water Again, This Time For Flying Above War-Torn Syria | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Can You Identify These Brands By Their Signature Fonts Alone? | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Japan Is Now The Walmart Of The World Economy | Business Insider
- A Boston Hedge Fund Just Made $950 Million On One Stock Today (PBYI) | Business Insider
- Dick's Sporting Goods Cuts 400 Jobs Since Americans Are Less... | Business Insider
- Apple Blatantly Ignored The Basic Rules Of Retail When Opening Stores | Business Insider
- Tripoli's International Airport Has Turned Into A Surreal Battleground [PHOTOS] | Business Insider