Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Obama Calls Obamacare Disaster 'A Starter Home', Republicans Should Be The Bulldozer" | ZeroHedge
- Trump Says He'd Love To Fight "Mr. Tough Guy" After Joe Biden's "Behind The Gym" Threats | ZeroHedge
- EM Reflation Confirming Indicator Raises a Red Flag | Financial Sense
- Wall Street Reacts To Apple's Disappointing Earnings | ZeroHedge
- Global Stocks, US Futures Drop On Apple Disappointment, Sliding Crude | ZeroHedge
- Deutsche Bank Reports Unexpected Q3 Profit, But Wall Street Yawns Asking For More | ZeroHedge
- Europe's Central Bank Is in a Bind Over Bonds | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- Nintendo is betting it can sell 2 million of its new gaming machines in... | Business Insider
- 12 of the greatest ways famous people wanted to be remembered on their... | Business Insider
- Everything you wanted to know about chatbots but were... | Business Insider
- Deutsche Bank's earnings call was the most brutally honest, angsty thing we've... | Business Insider
- 7 of the best productivity secrets I learned from the woman who wrote... | Business Insider
- Best Buy is bringing back free shipping for holiday... | Business Insider