Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold Edging Closer to Long-Term Bearish; Beware of Blind Spots! | Financial Sense
- Sunday Morning Charts | iBankCoin.com
- Janet Yellen, a 'White Dove'? | ZeroHedge
- Analysts Line Up to Declare “Decline & Fall” of Gold After 2.6% Tumble | Financial Sense
- Republicans Soar Above Democrats In National House Races | ZeroHedge
- Will the “Least Loved” Bull throw a “Taper Tantrum?” | Financial Sense
- And the Winner Is… | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- IBM's Jeopardy-Winning Supercomputer Will Power A 'Cognitive, Expert Personal Shopper'... | Business Insider
- 18-Year-Old Cancer Survivor Invents A New Way To Throw A Football, Wins $... | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Here's Why 'The Internet Of Things' Will Be Huge, And Drive Tremendous... | Business Insider
- The Navy Created These Incredible 'Then Vs. Now' Photos Comparing Pearl Harbor... | Business Insider
- ANALYST: Here Are 5 Reasons I Just Went... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek