Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fourth Turning - Politicians Driving The World Towards War | ZeroHedge
- Experts See Low Oil Prices for Decades to Come as US Shale Boom Goes Global | Financial Sense
- European HIV Infections Hit Record High, CDC Blames "Migrants And Refugees" | ZeroHedge
- Kurt Kallaus: Still No Recession; Expect Mild Acceleration in 2016 | Financial Sense
- How A Secretive Elite Created The EU To Build A World Government | ZeroHedge
- Has Deflation Been Defeated? | Financial Sense
- Which Assets Have Priced In A Chinese Economic Collapse? Barclays Explains | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Britain is learning to love debt again — and the Bank of England is... | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Singer Sinead O'Connor 'threatens suicide'... | Business Insider
- No. 8 Ohio State tops No. 12 Michigan 42-13 with ground... | Business Insider
- ICYMI in NFL's Week 12: Gronk injured; Pats lose to... | Business Insider
- Burkina Faso to hold elections to replace transitional... | Business Insider
- Japan's Hanyu smashes mystical 300-point mark | Business Insider