Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Egypt Is On The Edge Of Full Blown Civil War | ZeroHedge
- NYSE Margin Debt: A 1.6% Decline From Last Month's Record High | Financial Sense
- Secret Court Permits NSA To Keep Collecting Our Data | ZeroHedge
- Varoufakis Will Resign If Referendum Passes, Says Would Rather "Cut Off Arm" Than Sign | ZeroHedge
- The Superpower Conundrum - The Rise and Fall of Just About Everything | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Stocks Plummet Despite Government Threats To Shorts, Europe Lower, US Closed | ZeroHedge
- 17 Year Federal Judge Savages 'War On Drugs': "This Is A War I Saw Destroy Lives... Makes No Sense" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- India's adoption industry faces reform | Business Insider
- 9 reasons why you should book your next trip to Switzerland | Business Insider
- In New York City and Chicago, the smart city is here — and it's keeping track of... | Business Insider
- Asia markets on back foot ahead of Grece vote | Business Insider
- VAROUFAKIS: If Greece votes 'Yes... | Business Insider
- One Belarusian company reportedly started paying its employees in sour... | Business Insider
- This map shows 4,000 years of world history | Business Insider