Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Kissinger Warns of “Fatal Mistakes” on Sanctions, Russia, Cold War | Financial Sense
- How Have Our Forecasts Played Out This Year? | Financial Sense
- China Manufacturing PMI and Output Back in Contraction | Financial Sense
- 21 Facts That Prove That Government Dependence Is Out Of Control In America | ZeroHedge
- What Does Oil Say About the True State of the Global Economy? | ZeroHedge
- Philly Fed Explodes To 21 Year Highs, Beats By 10 Standard Deviations | ZeroHedge
- The Levered Canary In The Coalmine: High Yield Is Flashing A "Sell Signal", Says Barclays | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Format Your Data In Seconds With These Excel Shortcuts | Business Insider
- Trouble in Casinoland: Caesars, Revel, Trump Entertainment Resorts | TheStreet.com
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Streetinsider.com's Hot... | StreetInsider.com
- The Microsoft Engine That Nailed The World Cup Is Making NFL Playoff... | Business Insider
- Market Wrap: CPI Flat in Oct.; Best Buy... | StreetInsider.com
- HBO CEO: Director Mike Nichols Was A Legend | Business Insider