Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is George Soros Betting On The Long-Term Future Of Coal? | ZeroHedge
- Forget China - Oil Price Is Main Driver Of Market Turmoil | ZeroHedge
- US Stays Solid Amid Global Quakes | Financial Sense
- The Oligarch Recovery: Low Income Americans Can't Afford To Live In Any Metro Area | ZeroHedge
- Market Recap Aug 31, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- Exposed: The New American Way Of Life | ZeroHedge
- WTI Crude Tumbles To $43 Handle Despite EIA Lowering Production Estimates | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here’s the full speech Kanye West gave at the VMAs that everyone is talking about | Business Insider
- Here are all the winners from the MTV Video Music Awards | Business Insider
- A bizarre custody case in New... | Business Insider
- I tried the buzzy San Francisco restaurant where ‘robots’ serve you quinoa and it blew my mind | Business Insider
- The war room, the street: 2 responses to Baltimore violence... | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (YHOO, GOOG,... | Business Insider
- Thai prime minister says main suspect in bombing arrested... | Business Insider