Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Changing Trends: Stocks, Bonds, Gold, the U.S. Dollar, and Oil | Financial Sense
- Five Countries Most Affected by the Oil Price Crash | Financial Sense
- Paranoia And Purges For Venezuela As Oil Misery Continues | ZeroHedge
- The Recovery, Unemployment, and Earnings Are All Based on Fraud and Accounting Gimmicks | ZeroHedge
- Grant Williams: Why The Smart Money Is So Nervous Now | ZeroHedge
- Obama Decrees Ban On Ammo For The Most Popular Rifle In America | ZeroHedge
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Lloyds just posted a MASSIVE 325%... | Business Insider
- This simple chart paints a perfect picture of how 'House of... | Business Insider
- Top GOP operative calls Scott Walker 'kind of a dumba--... | Business Insider
- Most of the NBA's highest-paid players aren't worth it | Business Insider
- A perfectly round 'anti-smartphone' is coming out later this year | Business Insider
- This dress looks white and gold to me, but Google says it's... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek