Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Just How Crowded Is The "Long Dollar" Trade? The Answer In One Chart | ZeroHedge
- Trump Promises "Insurance For Everybody" In Obamacare Repeal | ZeroHedge
- World Bank: Trump to Boost US Economic Growth and Commodities | Financial Sense
- Florida Airport Shooter Claims He Carried Out Attack For ISIS | ZeroHedge
- Oil Slides After Brazil Denies Saudi Production Cut Request | ZeroHedge
- CoLD WaR NuT JoB... | ZeroHedge
- Gold Price Up Through 'Key' $1207 Level as 'Brexit Means UK Out of Single Market' | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Dark, cold days may have been what actually drove the dinosaurs extinct | Business Insider
- Mattis is right, here's why NATO is not obsolete | Business Insider
- This futuristic apartment transforms five rooms into one | Business Insider
- Here's what it's like to earn a six-figure book... | Business Insider
- Ford's CEO reveals his plan for the company's biggest transformation in history... | Business Insider
- This clever billboard coughs at people who smoke nearby | Business Insider
- The CEO of a $3.9 trillion fund giant has a message for... | Business Insider