Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Tumble Tuesday: Stocks Slide On Sanctions Blowback Fears, Dollar Jumps | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Give Up Post-FOMC Gains, Dollar Drops, Gold Flat | ZeroHedge
- Base Bottom for a Base Miner | iBankCoin.com
- Yellen Capital Humiliated After First Facebook And Now Twitter Surge Higher: TWTR's Quarter In Charts | ZeroHedge
- Peter Schiff And Doug Casey On The "Real" State Of The Economy | ZeroHedge
- Italian Police Grab $150 Million Assets From Nomura For Defrauding Government | ZeroHedge
- Canadian Doctor Quarantines Himself Over Ebola Fears After Returning From Liberia | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- STOCKS FALL, RUSSIA HIT WITH FRESH SANCTIONS: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ... | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Why You Weigh Less In The Morning Than At Night | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Yum! Brands Sinks After Disclosing China Probe (YUM, MCD) | Business Insider
- GDP SURGES 4% IN Q2 (SPX, DIA, QQQ, TLT, VIX) | Business Insider