Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Fed Just Found Its Next Excuse Not To Hike Rates | ZeroHedge
- "It's Hard To Believe" - Establishment Stunned As Trump Gains 'Wealthy, Well-Educated' Voters | ZeroHedge
- Why The Hard-Sell For The "Self-Driving" Car? | ZeroHedge
- Lies, Lies, & OMG More Lies... | ZeroHedge
- Q1 GDP Advance Estimate at 0.5%, Worse Than Mainstream Forecasts | Financial Sense
- It's The Debt Stupid: Scotiabank Warns "At Some Point 'The Future' Becomes 'Today'" | ZeroHedge
- "A 2015-like Market Crash In Chinese Commodities Is Inevitable" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Donald Trump: 'If I lose, I don’t think you will... | Business Insider
- A 4,000-person IBM team dedicated to decoding... | Business Insider
- This giant pile of skulls tells a tragic story of American history | Business Insider
- This guy got Windows 95 running on an Apple Watch (AAPL, MSFT) | Business Insider
- How to make a mint julep | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett explains the problem with one of his favorite... | Business Insider
- Heineken's Global Brew Master reveals a seismic change in the beer industry... | Business Insider