Volatility: Out for Lunch
The VIXY, VIX is taking a break and along with it the iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) continues to sink to new lows daily. The question becomes will the VIX and VXX bounce back? Should we be afraid or just ignore the warning and buy up everything?
Great 2 second analysis on the state of the VIX comes from Larry Conners at TradingMarkets.com. Here's what he has to say:
Is The VIX Too Low?
A lot has been written recently about how low the VIX is, how it has to go higher, and therefore the market has to drop. The reality is it’s not true.
If you look at the bull market from 1995-1999, you will see a steady rise in the VIX during that bull market run. Higher long-term VIX levels do not equate to lower stock prices.
Also, as you can see from the statistics below, the VIX has spent over half of its time over the past two decades (from 1992 through Tuesday) between 10-20. So the level it’s at today is very, very normal.
This doesn’t mean the VIX won’t spike from here (it certainly can). What it does mean is that those who are saying the VIX has to rise, or the market has to drop, are simply guessing and not looking at the historical facts.
Bottom line: Enjoy the break in volatility Masters, its time to enjoy the ride.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How Bad Could It Get? US Government Order Of 160,000 HazMat Suits Gives A Clue | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Are On THE Line | ZeroHedge
- Rick Santelli Slams Central Bank Intervention For "Taking The Voters Out Of The Game" | ZeroHedge
- Does Surging Demand For Gold & Silver Coins Signal A Bottom? | ZeroHedge
- PIMCO Liquidations Begin; And So Does The Retaliation: All Bill Gross Tweets Deleted | ZeroHedge
- Spilling Over | iBankCoin.com
- The Hong Kong Protest: What It's All About | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- eBay Shares Explode Higher After PayPal Spinoff News (EBAY) | Business Insider
- Pinterest Is About To Start Acting A Lot More Like Facebook (FB) | Business Insider
- Fannie And Freddie Shares Are Collapsing, And That's Bad News For Some... | Business Insider
- Royals Manager Is Getting Destroyed Even Though His Team Had A Historic... | Business Insider
- You'll Need An iPhone And A Dedicated App In Order To Download Apps For The... | Business Insider
- The Guy Who Raised $55,000 On Kickstarter To Make Potato Salad Threw A Big Party To... | Business Insider
- Watch An F-15 Sniper Wipe Out... | Business Insider