Warning Shot for Stocks: Payroll Tax
Mastery moved to 90% cash this week as we watched stocks continually bump up against but not push over the Dow Jones 14,000 mark. Today we get news from Wal-Mart (WMT) that Feb. sales were a 'total disaster'. The numbers for U.S. retail sales are also down. Finally the impact of the Jan. Payroll Tax cut are being felt and it will soon make its way to Wall Street and our stocks.
We hate to be Negative Nancy's but these types of headlines just add more to what we've already said this week in Where will Stocks Go from Here?. All the problems mounting for stocks can't be ignored and we believe its why the Dow won't cross 14,000 this month. We would love to be wrong but the signs are pointing to a minor correction in stocks and we want you prepared.
THE WAL-MART WOES
Bloomberg reported that Jerry Murray a VP of Finanace from Wal-Mart said in n email to other execs:
In case you haven’t seen a sales report these days, February MTD sales are a total disaster...The worst start to a month I have seen in my ~7 years with the company.
Wal-Mart (WMT) shares are down 2.4% today on the news. That's a big warning shot Fellow Masters. If things aren't good for Wal-Mart then expect other retailers to follow suit.
U.S. retail sales inched up 0.1% last month from December, after gains of 0.5% in each of the prior two months. Now that we all are 2% poorer via the payroll tax cut we all have less to spend. This isn't a big story yet and maybe it will blow over. However if the media continues to remind us that our economic worries are not over and it all comes back to haunt us expect the selling to ensue.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- BofA Capitulates: "The Trump Put Is Over", It's Time To Sell Small Caps | ZeroHedge
- Trader: Trump Tax Plan Likely To Send S&P To New Record Highs "No Matter What He Says" | ZeroHedge
- China Launches First Domestically-Built Aircraft Carrier | ZeroHedge
- Earnings-palooza - AMZN, GOOGL, MSFT, SBUX, INTC, GPRO, EXPE | ZeroHedge
- UN To Trump: Obamacare Repeal Would Violate "International Law"; Would Also Be Racist | ZeroHedge
- JPM Cuts Q1 GDP Forecast To Just 0.3% | ZeroHedge
- How To Start Over At 40 | Altucher Confidential
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Trump's plan calls for the repeal of a tax that once cost him $31 million | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- A former US Marine has been arrested in Tijuana... | Business Insider
- ExxonMobil ordered to pay $20 million for air pollution at Houston plants | Business Insider
- Amazon crushed its earnings (AMZN) | Business Insider
- A Harvard doctor just won $1 million for a project that could prevent the next deadly... | Business Insider
- The Acura NSX supercar has some innovative cupholders | Business Insider