Warning Shot for Stocks: Payroll Tax
Mastery moved to 90% cash this week as we watched stocks continually bump up against but not push over the Dow Jones 14,000 mark. Today we get news from Wal-Mart (WMT) that Feb. sales were a 'total disaster'. The numbers for U.S. retail sales are also down. Finally the impact of the Jan. Payroll Tax cut are being felt and it will soon make its way to Wall Street and our stocks.
We hate to be Negative Nancy's but these types of headlines just add more to what we've already said this week in Where will Stocks Go from Here?. All the problems mounting for stocks can't be ignored and we believe its why the Dow won't cross 14,000 this month. We would love to be wrong but the signs are pointing to a minor correction in stocks and we want you prepared.
THE WAL-MART WOES
Bloomberg reported that Jerry Murray a VP of Finanace from Wal-Mart said in n email to other execs:
In case you haven’t seen a sales report these days, February MTD sales are a total disaster...The worst start to a month I have seen in my ~7 years with the company.
Wal-Mart (WMT) shares are down 2.4% today on the news. That's a big warning shot Fellow Masters. If things aren't good for Wal-Mart then expect other retailers to follow suit.
U.S. retail sales inched up 0.1% last month from December, after gains of 0.5% in each of the prior two months. Now that we all are 2% poorer via the payroll tax cut we all have less to spend. This isn't a big story yet and maybe it will blow over. However if the media continues to remind us that our economic worries are not over and it all comes back to haunt us expect the selling to ensue.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Empty Shelves & Madness (In America): A Minor Winter Storm Drove People Into "Panic Buying Of Food And Basics" | ZeroHedge
- Trump To Take "Four Or Five" Executive Actions On Day One | ZeroHedge
- California Governor Jerry Brown Admits To $1.5 Billion "Math Error" In State Budget | ZeroHedge
- Does Michael Moore Matter Anymore? An Open Letter From One Filmmaker To Another | ZeroHedge
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: A December Bounce | Financial Sense
- What Can Americans Learn from Chinese Government Propaganda? | ZeroHedge
- Declassified CIA Memos Reveal Probes Into Gold Market Manipulation | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- One of Wall Street's top Japan... | Business Insider
- Trump hasn't been sworn in yet, but Mexico is already... | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Here's why you should be terrified if Apple buys Netflix | Business Insider
- An open letter to Treasury Secretary nominee Steven Mnuchin | Business Insider
- ... | Business Insider
- One of the smartest minds in the bond market talks us through... | Business Insider