Warning Shot for Stocks: Payroll Tax
Mastery moved to 90% cash this week as we watched stocks continually bump up against but not push over the Dow Jones 14,000 mark. Today we get news from Wal-Mart (WMT) that Feb. sales were a 'total disaster'. The numbers for U.S. retail sales are also down. Finally the impact of the Jan. Payroll Tax cut are being felt and it will soon make its way to Wall Street and our stocks.
We hate to be Negative Nancy's but these types of headlines just add more to what we've already said this week in Where will Stocks Go from Here?. All the problems mounting for stocks can't be ignored and we believe its why the Dow won't cross 14,000 this month. We would love to be wrong but the signs are pointing to a minor correction in stocks and we want you prepared.
THE WAL-MART WOES
Bloomberg reported that Jerry Murray a VP of Finanace from Wal-Mart said in n email to other execs:
In case you haven’t seen a sales report these days, February MTD sales are a total disaster...The worst start to a month I have seen in my ~7 years with the company.
Wal-Mart (WMT) shares are down 2.4% today on the news. That's a big warning shot Fellow Masters. If things aren't good for Wal-Mart then expect other retailers to follow suit.
U.S. retail sales inched up 0.1% last month from December, after gains of 0.5% in each of the prior two months. Now that we all are 2% poorer via the payroll tax cut we all have less to spend. This isn't a big story yet and maybe it will blow over. However if the media continues to remind us that our economic worries are not over and it all comes back to haunt us expect the selling to ensue.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- When The Line Between Halloween & Real Life Terror Gets Blurred | ZeroHedge
- Universities Feel the Gales of Creative Destruction | Financial Sense
- What Unilever just Said About Consumers Around the World: “It’s Really Tough out There” | ZeroHedge
- Futures Bounce On Stronger Europe Headline PMIs Despite Markit's Warning Of "Darker Picture" In "Anaemic" Internals | ZeroHedge
- Spanish Tenants Wake Up To The Horror Of A Wall Street Landlord | ZeroHedge
- 25 Banks Said To Fail European Stress Test, 10 In Talks On Capital Shortfall | ZeroHedge
- Taking A Spin | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Billionaires Are Reportedly Paying $4,000 For A Titanium Toothbrush | Business Insider
- Netflix’s Next New Show Looks Shrouded In Mystery | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Sony Has Just Made The Most Beautiful Ad Of The Year — Capturing Bubbles As They Turn Into... | Business Insider
- Use These Tips To Be Happier At Work | Business Insider
- Slack Defends Facebook Rooms, Says Their Apps Are Not The... | Business Insider