Warning Shot for Stocks: Payroll Tax
Mastery moved to 90% cash this week as we watched stocks continually bump up against but not push over the Dow Jones 14,000 mark. Today we get news from Wal-Mart (WMT) that Feb. sales were a 'total disaster'. The numbers for U.S. retail sales are also down. Finally the impact of the Jan. Payroll Tax cut are being felt and it will soon make its way to Wall Street and our stocks.
We hate to be Negative Nancy's but these types of headlines just add more to what we've already said this week in Where will Stocks Go from Here?. All the problems mounting for stocks can't be ignored and we believe its why the Dow won't cross 14,000 this month. We would love to be wrong but the signs are pointing to a minor correction in stocks and we want you prepared.
THE WAL-MART WOES
Bloomberg reported that Jerry Murray a VP of Finanace from Wal-Mart said in n email to other execs:
In case you haven’t seen a sales report these days, February MTD sales are a total disaster...The worst start to a month I have seen in my ~7 years with the company.
Wal-Mart (WMT) shares are down 2.4% today on the news. That's a big warning shot Fellow Masters. If things aren't good for Wal-Mart then expect other retailers to follow suit.
U.S. retail sales inched up 0.1% last month from December, after gains of 0.5% in each of the prior two months. Now that we all are 2% poorer via the payroll tax cut we all have less to spend. This isn't a big story yet and maybe it will blow over. However if the media continues to remind us that our economic worries are not over and it all comes back to haunt us expect the selling to ensue.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Drivers, Beware: The Costly, Deadly Dangers Of Traffic Stops In The American Police State | ZeroHedge
- "Bad News Is Bad News"? 30Y Yield Plunges Under 3.00%, Stocks & USD Slide After GDP Miss | ZeroHedge
- New York Mayor de Blasio Demands A Federal Bailout For Puerto Rico | ZeroHedge
- Bill Gross Explains (In 90 Seconds) How It's All A Big Shell Game | ZeroHedge
- Fed Reporter Pedro Da Costa Is Leaving The Wall Street Journal After Asking Yellen "Uncomfortable" Questions | ZeroHedge
- Trade Like A Market Wizard - An Interview With Mark Andrew Ritchie | ZeroHedge
- EP 123: Tom Rath – What Can You Do Better Than Anyone Else? | Altucher Confidential
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 13 most popular apparel brands by age | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- Brazil raises key interest rate to 14.25% to curb... | Business Insider
- Slack's first product manager shares how to build a $2.8 billion company | Business Insider
- Ridley Scott, Jean-Marc Vallee head Toronto filmfest... | Business Insider
- Barclays profit jumps awaiting new boss | Business Insider
- Royal Dutch Shell to cut 6,500 jobs on oil price slump | Business Insider