Warning Shot for Stocks: Payroll Tax
Mastery moved to 90% cash this week as we watched stocks continually bump up against but not push over the Dow Jones 14,000 mark. Today we get news from Wal-Mart (WMT) that Feb. sales were a 'total disaster'. The numbers for U.S. retail sales are also down. Finally the impact of the Jan. Payroll Tax cut are being felt and it will soon make its way to Wall Street and our stocks.
We hate to be Negative Nancy's but these types of headlines just add more to what we've already said this week in Where will Stocks Go from Here?. All the problems mounting for stocks can't be ignored and we believe its why the Dow won't cross 14,000 this month. We would love to be wrong but the signs are pointing to a minor correction in stocks and we want you prepared.
THE WAL-MART WOES
Bloomberg reported that Jerry Murray a VP of Finanace from Wal-Mart said in n email to other execs:
In case you haven’t seen a sales report these days, February MTD sales are a total disaster...The worst start to a month I have seen in my ~7 years with the company.
Wal-Mart (WMT) shares are down 2.4% today on the news. That's a big warning shot Fellow Masters. If things aren't good for Wal-Mart then expect other retailers to follow suit.
U.S. retail sales inched up 0.1% last month from December, after gains of 0.5% in each of the prior two months. Now that we all are 2% poorer via the payroll tax cut we all have less to spend. This isn't a big story yet and maybe it will blow over. However if the media continues to remind us that our economic worries are not over and it all comes back to haunt us expect the selling to ensue.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Paul Craig Roberts Explains The Stakes For Trump And All Of Us | ZeroHedge
- "It's Unfair" - Hispanic Workers Upset After Being Fired For Absence On "Day Without Immigrants" | ZeroHedge
- "Bucket Economics" For Global Macro Investing | ZeroHedge
- President of Finland: Putin Not So Bad, NATO Lame, Greatest Threats To Europe Are Terrorism And Migration | ZeroHedge
- Was The Catalyst Fund Really The Catalyst? | ZeroHedge
- China Responds To Fed Jawboning March "Live" - Weakens Yuan, Spikes Money Market Rates | ZeroHedge
- Trump and the Fed | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Iraqi forces launch a fresh offensive in Mosul | Business Insider
- Trump told members of his golf club to... | Business Insider
- The 20 biggest Oscar upsets of all time, ranked | Business Insider
- Trump launches another blistering attack on media while he and chief... | Business Insider
- The US is going after the highest-profile Venezuelan target yet —... | Business Insider
- BAML: This is the most overcrowded trade | Business Insider
- Malaysia is searching for 4 more North... | Business Insider