Stocks to Buy under $1
If only you could buy 1,000 shares of some wonderful stock that is under one buck and 3 years later its worth a fortune. Mastery puts it all on the line and recommends a few stocks under $1 that include THQ Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI), Jones Soda Co. ( USA ) (NASDAQ:JSDA), and FuelCell Energy, Inc. (NASDAQ:FCEL).
These three stock picks are volatile, risky and could be de-listed if they don't get back above $1 in due time. The only exception to this is FuelCell which is at $1.48 but started 2012 at 90 cents. First off the Masters don't buy stocks under a dollar that have been delisted from the major exchanges. If you are playing with the OTC BB penny stocks be prepared for an entirely different animal. That being said let's kick off things with the strongest candidate of the three.
FuelCell Energy (FCEL) has gone on an incredible ride since the start of the year rebounded some 70%. However in the past 12 months FCEL is down 28% yet its never recovered from its $10 2008 share price. FuelCell is in the business using high temperature fuel cells to generating clean electric power done in the U.S., Canada, South Korea, Germany, and Japan. Over the last six months, insiders were net buyers of 180,000 shares, which represents about 0.14% of the company’s 128.68 million share float.
Earlier this week FuelCell raised $34.5 million from a public offering of 23 million shares of common stock. The company offered the stock at $1.50 per share, with a net to FuelCell of $32.1 million after expenses. FCEL is up 4 cents today at $1.52.
Poor Jones Soda (JSDA) is back to 45 cents and not much has changed since we talked up the company on March 9th. The stock has dropped another 5 cents since we last checked in, recall that (March 8th) Jones Soda reported a Q4 2011 loss of to $2 million (6 cents per diluted share). That's more than their $1.8 million (loss of 6 cents per share) in the same quarter a year earlier. The good news is revenue increased 9% to $3.4 million from the year-earlier quarter.
On March 8th we said:
Mastery believes good things could happen to the company in the long run however it requires a huge leap of faith as a shareholder. ... We like the stock at 40 Cents and will wait to buy as such.
We'll hold out for another 5 cents.
We mentioned THQ Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI) a few weeks ago and the stock has done nothing since then. THQ traded in the $30 range back in 2007 but has since been reduced to a penny stock. THQ has had some success with its Saints Row 3: The Third video game. The company reported on Jan 25th Saints Row 3 had shipped 3.8 million units globally and are expecting to ship between five and six million units lifetime on the title. However THQ shares went from 75 cents on Feb 2nd to 53 cents the next day on Feb 3rd after the company's 2012 guidance missed the Street.
Bottom line: All these stocks are a gamble but they are fun to throw some discretionary bucks at. Let it ride with Mastery prefering in order of 'best bang for your buck': FCEL, JSDA, then THQI.
STOCKS UNDER $1
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stocks Bounce, Bonds Bid, But Gold Soars To Best Year Since 1980 | ZeroHedge
- Bob Janjuah Explains All That Is Wrong With The Financial System (And Remains Bearish) | ZeroHedge
- Puerto Rico Defaults On $2 Billion In Debt Payments | ZeroHedge
- ISIS Mastermind Behind Istanbul Terrorist Attack Was A "Refugee" Protected By Europe | ZeroHedge
- "Deutsche Bank Poses The Greatest Risk To The Global Financial System": IMF | ZeroHedge
- Brexit: What to Expect After the EU-UK Membership Vote | Financial Sense
- Two Warning Signs That This Bounce is Not to Be trusted | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Disney is making an undeniable shift from the little screen... | Business Insider
- Nintendo's mysterious new console is coming next year — here's everything we know | Business Insider
- These are some of the weirdest weapons that the TSA has confiscated from passengers | Business Insider
- Here's where you're most likely to run into wildlife that could kill... | Business Insider
- This is Saudi Arabia's 'Achilles' heel' | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Stocks are ripping for the third day in a row (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ, HSY, MDLZ, TLT, IWM) | Business Insider