IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Republicans Blast Hillary: "Not Even Nixon Destroyed The Tapes" | ZeroHedge
- "We're Just One Archduke Away..." | ZeroHedge
- Germanwings Co-Pilot Head Been Treated For "Suicidal Tendencies" In The Past | ZeroHedge
- The Titanic Sinks At Dawn | ZeroHedge
- BiG DouCHe SPoTTeD... | ZeroHedge
- The Death of Hope and Belief | ZeroHedge
- Mainstream Economists' Random Excuse Roulette | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Total sells Nigerian oil field stake for $569 mn | Business Insider
- Brazilian giants take bite out of world food sector | Business Insider
- Inflation three years out always ends up at 1.9% | Business Insider
- 7 timeless lessons from Bill Gates' favorite business book... | Business Insider
- The Final Four is set — and Kentucky is the overwhelming favorite to win it all | Business Insider
- 15 mega-yachts worth a total of $5.5 billion — and the lucky men who own them | Business Insider
- 5 simple internet safety tips from one of Google's information... | Business Insider