IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Overheard At The Trumpsgiving Day Parade | ZeroHedge
- The FDIC Reiterates and Corroborates My "F@ck the Fundamentals" Message fron the Fed | ZeroHedge
- Diversification Is For Dummies - The Nifty Nine Never Mattered More | ZeroHedge
- Gold Plunges Below "Crucial Level", Lowest Since Oct 2009 On $2 Billion Notional Flush | ZeroHedge
- Mark Dice Confronts America's Zombie Shoppers | ZeroHedge
- Salting The Economy To Death | ZeroHedge
- "Mysterious" Fire Hits Argentine Ministry Of Finance, Destroys Years Of Prior Regime's Files | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Russia vows to follows all WADA recommendations on doping... | Business Insider
- Notorious warlord seeks comeback, leverage in Afghanistan... | Business Insider
- How designers around the world photoshopped this model when they were told to... | Business Insider
- TRUMP NATION: We tried to answer the 3 questions everyone has about... | Business Insider
- Ward leads No. 21 Houston to 52-31 win over No. 16 Navy | Business Insider