IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trump Issues An Ultimatum To House Republicans: Vote On Friday Or Obamacare Stays | ZeroHedge
- Ivanka Trump Gets West Wing Office, Access To 'Classified Information' | ZeroHedge
- Thursday Humor: Medicare Part G? | ZeroHedge
- FHFA Home Price Growth Weakest Since Nov 2013 | ZeroHedge
- Wikileaks Releases "NightSkies 1.2": Proof CIA Bugs "Factory Fresh" iPhones | ZeroHedge
- Watch Live: Gorsuch Takes The Stand For Day 3 As Republicans Mull "Nuclear Option" | ZeroHedge
- Former Attorney for George W. Bush, Richard Painter, Says Alt-Right Websites Are Guilty of Treason | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The GOP's healthcare bill is on the brink as House showdown vote looms | Business Insider
- 'Sleep with one eye open': Schools in Honduras are... | Business Insider
- Scalable Capital Review 2017: Fees, Returns, Investing Services & Competitors | Business Insider
- This strange-looking device sticks to your neck to help you de-stress and sleep better | Business Insider
- A 28-year-old CEO named to Forbes 30 Under 30 shares his favorite question to ask in a job... | Business Insider
- Here's how 'Power Rangers' costumes have evolved over the past 20 years | Business Insider
- Heartland farmers that helped elect Trump are now... | Business Insider