IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Despite Russian Warnings, US Will Deploy A Battalion To Ukraine By The End Of The Week | ZeroHedge
- BLuE DReSS SHaDoW... | ZeroHedge
- Lehman Moment For Austrian "Bad Bank" Means Worse Coming | ZeroHedge
- Could Oil Prices Plummet A Second Time? | ZeroHedge
- The Market is Simply NOT Expecting This to Happen in China | ZeroHedge
- Yellen’s Patience Is Market’s Gain | Financial Sense
- Jim Puplava on U.S. Recession, Fed Rate Hikes, and Short-Term Correction | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 things you need to know before the opening bell (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Peter Thiel favors pot legalization and says it... | Business Insider
- Tracking the Americanization of the NHL since the 'Original Six' | Business Insider
- A ‘House of Cards’ actor lied to keep one of the biggest secrets of season 3 | Business Insider
- Aston Martin's top-secret Lagonda Taraf super-sedan is... | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com