IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Four Horsemen of the Retirement Apocalypse | Financial Sense
- Democrats Suggest Invoking The 25th Amendment Unless Trump "Gets A Grip" | ZeroHedge
- North Korea's Regime In Jeopardy After China Bans All Coal Imports | ZeroHedge
- US Manufacturing Jumps to 33-Year High | Financial Sense
- Anti-Trump Rally in NYC Silent During Muslim Call to Prayer | ZeroHedge
- The Unthinkable Just Happened In Spain | ZeroHedge
- Eurozone Equities: Political Risks versus Strong Macro Crosscurrents | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- THE IoT 101 REPORT: Your essential guide to the... | Business Insider
- THE US FINTECH REGULATION REPORT: How the US regulatory environment is holding back the... | Business Insider
- Watch a US-led airstrike knock an ISIS vehicle off the road near the... | Business Insider
- Why the Nazis studied American race laws for inspiration | Business Insider
- An anesthesiologist explains the biggest... | Business Insider
- Here are all the controversial things the Trump administration has done... | Business Insider
- A major mystery of the new 'Star Wars' movie 'The Last Jedi... | Business Insider