IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Every One Wants Dollars (Again) | ZeroHedge
- Here Is The Only Thing You Need To Know As Goldman's|New York Fed's Bill Dudley Testifies To The Senate | ZeroHedge
- The Astonishing Rise of Central Bank Fear | ZeroHedge
- Summing It All Up In 1 Surreal Chart | ZeroHedge
- The Breakdown Of International Cooperation | ZeroHedge
- Forex Scandal Exposes Difficulty of Financial Regulation | Financial Sense
- The Levered Canary In The Coalmine: High Yield Is Flashing A "Sell Signal", Says Barclays | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Judge approves $450 mn deal in Apple ebook suit | Business Insider
- By The Time Europe Finally Gets Around To Breaking... | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Here’s The Biggest Problem With The New ‘Hunger Games’ Movie | Business Insider
- The Stage Is Set For An Epic Finish At The World... | Business Insider
- 10 Surprising Things That Are Worth Less Than Apple | TheStreet.com
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider