IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Forget the Sept. '15 Fed Tightening – There Has Been a Stealth Tightening Since Sept. '14 | Financial Sense
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- US Debt In The Age Of Unrestrained Central Banking | ZeroHedge
- Three Drivers of the Capital Markets in the Week Ahead | ZeroHedge
- The Crisis in Which Central Banks Lose Control Has Already Begun | ZeroHedge
- Saturday Cinema with Le Fly: Glenngary, Glen Ross | iBankCoin.com
- Since 2014 Foreign Central Banks Have Withdrawn 246 Tons Of Gold From The NY Fed | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 5 killed, 24 injured in attacks in southeast Turkey | Business Insider
- Latin music academy protests Trump's immigration... | Business Insider
- South Sudan fighting persists as cease-fire approaches: UN... | Business Insider
- Apple is reportedly planning a big increase in the price of the new... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- 10 years after Hurricane Katrina, here's why New Orleans still faces... | Business Insider
- Officials urge residents to stay prepared tropical storm | Business Insider