IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold And The Grave Dancers | ZeroHedge
- Monsters Of Ukraine: Made In The USA | ZeroHedge
- Quantum Geopolitics | Financial Sense
- Head Of Collapsed Mt.Gox Exchange Arrested With Half A Billion In Bitcoin Still Unaccounted | ZeroHedge
- Dramatic Footage: How Venezuelans Get Milk Powder | ZeroHedge
- Is This The Most Successful Trade Of The Last Decade? | ZeroHedge
- Don't Exaggerate Significance of SNB's Loss | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Joe Biden is reportedly considering challenging Hillary | Business Insider
- I don't know how people survive the internet without password apps like this | Business Insider
- Migrant journeys cross in Channel citadel | Business Insider
- 'Veterans' Ledecky, Franklin lead US charge at... | Business Insider
- Ledecky retains 400m freestyle world title | Business Insider
- The report that helped ignite Deflategate was wrong — and the Patriots want to know why... | Business Insider
- A radical group of teachers is asking 8-year-olds to answer life's... | Business Insider