IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Yuan Rising: China Surpasses Japan To Claim Number Four Spot In Most Used Global Currencies | ZeroHedge
- Optimistic Narrative for China? | Financial Sense
- Southeast Asia’s High Speed Rail Network | Financial Sense
- The Phrase That Launches Recessions | ZeroHedge
- IMF Cuts Global Growth For The Fourth Time In 12 Months... But That's Not The Biggest Problem | ZeroHedge
- How The Chinese Will Establish A New Financial Order | ZeroHedge
- The Liquidations Begin: Three Hedge Funds Shut Down After Summer Rout | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Europe's highest court just rejected the 'safe harbor'... | Business Insider
- DuPont CEO Kullman steps down, company lowers guidance | Business Insider
- The incredible story of the... | Business Insider
- This obscure organic burger chain should make Shake Shack, Five Guys, and... | Business Insider
- How to get the iPhone you want, even if it's sold... | Business Insider
- The 5 countries with the most top-ranked colleges for computer... | Business Insider
- Twitter wants to be the main place you get news with a new feature called Moments | Business Insider