IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "What If Berlin And Frankfurt Do Not Budge" - How Varoufakis Saw The "Worst Case Scenario" | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Slump Into The Red After IMF Comments | ZeroHedge
- Need I Remind You: I HATE Repeats | iBankCoin.com
- Frontrunning: July 2 | ZeroHedge
- Fed Whisperer Hilsenrath Hints: Despite Jobs Miss, Yellen Will Hike In 2015 | ZeroHedge
- The German Press Does It Again: "Give Me The Money Or I Shoot" | ZeroHedge
- Secret Court Permits NSA To Keep Collecting Our Data | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- America's 'Plan B' for Iran comes with one huge problem | Business Insider
- 11 timeless lessons from a book that changed billionaire CEO... | Business Insider
- Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak says Steve Jobs movie trailer is '... | Business Insider
- Someone is creating fake websites on the dark web to try to lure in... | Business Insider
- This immersive art installation simulates a thunderstorm — and it's pretty... | Business Insider
- Solar Impulse reaches two-thirds of way from Japan to... | Business Insider
- 3 factors are brewing the perfect storm for shark attacks | Business Insider