IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- An Upside Down World | Financial Sense
- One Month Later - Brexit Post-Mortem | ZeroHedge
- Get Ready For America's New $29 Trillion Debt | ZeroHedge
- Turkey Surrounds, Blocks Access To NATO's Incirlik Airbase Amid Speculation Of Second Coup | ZeroHedge
- Great Graphic: How the US Recovery Stacks Up | Financial Sense
- US Oil Rig Count Rises At Fastest Rate Since Jan 2010 | ZeroHedge
- What Now? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 5 habits that will help you free up time for a side job | Business Insider
- An acoustic buoy just detected one of the planet... | Business Insider
- The 12 worst money habits and how to break them | Business Insider
- Native ads will drive 74% of all ad revenue by 2021 | Business Insider
- The US military is returning a huge parcel of land back to Japan | Business Insider
- Disney's Maker Studios — home to PewDiePie — is laying off 'about 30' staff... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek