IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Will Yellen Shock Today?" | ZeroHedge
- August 2016 Vice Index: Is Vice Spending Slowing? | Financial Sense
- US Trade Deficit Shrinks On Biggest Spike In Food & Beverage Exports In History | ZeroHedge
- Another Warning Sign | ZeroHedge
- Gold Wins In Three Out Of Four Scenarios, Macquarie Warns "None Of Them Are Good For The Economy" | ZeroHedge
- July New Home Sales Soar to 12.4% Month-over-Month, Surprises Forecast | Financial Sense
- Q2 GDP Revised Lower To 1.1%, As Expected, Even As Personal Consumption Rises | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- One crucial thing you're overlooking when you try to... | Business Insider
- Walmart, Kroger, and Dollar General are slashing prices | Business Insider
- The Raiders just made another big move in their push to relocate to Las Vegas | Business Insider
- 14 signs you're secretly the boss' favorite | Business Insider
- A 31-year-old who's been traveling the world for 5 years explains how she affords it... | Business Insider
- A college professor wrote a biting explanation for why so many professors are... | Business Insider
- BuzzFeed draws a line between church and state | Business Insider