IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Welcome To The Oligarch Recovery: 82% Of US Construction Is Luxury Units | ZeroHedge
- The Fed's Computer Model Of The US Economy "Sees Little Slack" (And A Big Clue From Gartman) | ZeroHedge
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Real Retail Sales | Financial Sense
- Meanwhile, Mass Layoffs Continue For America's Miners | ZeroHedge
- Housing Recovery - Real Or Memorex | ZeroHedge
- Tick Tock, The Greek Time Bomb Is About To Go Off | ZeroHedge
- When Europe Gets Greece’s Jingle Mail: Dealing With Default | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Cameron makes British reform case to EU peers | Business Insider
- I sequenced my DNA at a community lab in Brooklyn — and what I learned surprised me | Business Insider
- This chart shows that HP is still in pretty rough shape (HPQ) | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Apple is planning a major international launch for its... | Business Insider
- Russia is making moves in Iraq | Business Insider