IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- How Trump Wins The Debate | ZeroHedge
- Italy Is The EU's Weakest Link | ZeroHedge
- Keith Scott's Family Release Video Of Police Shooting | ZeroHedge
- Five Killed At Washington State Mall; Manhunt For Gunman Continues | ZeroHedge
- Dead People Are Voting In The Key Swing State Of Colorado | ZeroHedge
- It's Official: America Is Not The Greatest Country On Earth... It's 28th! | ZeroHedge
- Merkel Rules Out Bailout For Deutsche Bank: Depositor Bail-In Coming Up? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Charlotte congressman on protesters: 'They hate white... | Business Insider
- America's spies have their own version of Wikipedia — here's what it... | Business Insider
- American manufacturing slipped more than expected | Business Insider
- 'I didn't quote facts':... | Business Insider
- Bill and Hillary Clinton reportedly just bought the house next-door to their... | Business Insider
- Disney, not Salesforce, should be the company looking to buy Twitter,... | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek