IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Night Owl Open Forum | iBankCoin.com
- A Natural Time of Year | iBankCoin.com
- Artist's Impression Of The Difference Between ISIS & America's Strategy In The Middle East | ZeroHedge
- These Are The Warships Attacking Syrian Militants From Afar | ZeroHedge
- The US Is Now 50% More Unequal Than Ancient Rome (And That Includes Slaves) | ZeroHedge
- Chicago PMI Misses As New Orders & Production Slump | ZeroHedge
- How Much Longer Can the Global Trading System Last? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Apple Could Owe Over $8 Billion In Unpaid Taxes (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Stocks With International Exposure Have Been Underperformers (DIA, SPY, QQQ, TLT, F) | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Tracy Morgan Blasts Walmart For Blaming Truck Accident On... | Business Insider
- Here's Where The US Really Gets It Oil From | Business Insider
- Clovis Shares Higher on Improved Outlook for Lung Cancer Drug | TheStreet.com
- Microsoft Is Opening A Store A Few Blocks From... | Business Insider