IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bill Ackman is Back: Pershing Square Posts 10% Gain in November | ZeroHedge
- Doom & Gloom? Perhaps Not | Financial Sense
- Students Demand "Sanctuary" From Immigration Laws, Student Loan Debt, And Finals | ZeroHedge
- Tomorrow's Vote In Italy Will Be A "Wide-Ranging F**k Off", And It's Just The Start... | ZeroHedge
- The Eurodollar Market: It All Starts Here | ZeroHedge
- Meet The Competitors In Italy's Referendum | ZeroHedge
- Judicial Watch Asks Court To Unseal Videos Of Depositions In Hillary Clinton Email Case | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 10 most popular Christmas ads on YouTube in 2016 (GOOG) | Business Insider
- Katie Holmes reveals the message to her daughter Suri in her new movie | Business Insider
- 10 things I wish someone had told me when I was 20 | Business Insider
- At least 11 people have died in a hotel blaze in Pakistan | Business Insider
- Italy's far-right 5-Star Movement says it's ready... | Business Insider
- 'THE UNITED STATES IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS':... | Business Insider
- A Vikings lineman found an ingenious way to promote a business venture for... | Business Insider