IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Next Big Catalyst for Stocks/Commodities | Financial Sense
- Hyperinflation Looms As 'Black Market' Egyptian Pound Crashes To Record Low | ZeroHedge
- "Obscene" Pentagon Folds Under Political Pressure - Stops Seeking Veteran Bonus Repayments | ZeroHedge
- "Obama Calls Obamacare Disaster 'A Starter Home', Republicans Should Be The Bulldozer" | ZeroHedge
- ObamaCare Architect Admits "The Law Is Working As Designed" As Premiums Spike | ZeroHedge
- EM Reflation Confirming Indicator Raises a Red Flag | Financial Sense
- Tax Foundation Analyzes Tax Plans: 10-Year GDP (Trump +6.9%, Hillary -2.6%), Wage Growth (Trump +5.4%, Hillary -2.1%) | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A rare look inside the Monte Carlo Casino, the world's most spectacular place to gamble... | Business Insider
- The 'Afghan girl'... | Business Insider
- Jack Dorsey is staying silent about the Twitter sale rumors (TWTR) | Business Insider
- Turkey says its military operations in Syria won... | Business Insider
- An education expert says reading to kids makes them more curious than giving them... | Business Insider
- The Cheesecake Factory has great news for the US economy (CAKE) | Business Insider
- Notorious Liberian warlord 'General Buttnaked' wants money to... | Business Insider