IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- McClellan: "Gobs of Liquidity" to Fuel Markets Higher | Financial Sense
- Consider Yourselves Lucky You're Not A Canadian FX Trader | ZeroHedge
- Trump Individual Tax Plan To Have 3 Brackets: 35%, 25%, & 10% | ZeroHedge
- Ontario Finally Moves to Douse Real Estate Inferno | Financial Sense
- French Establishment Mount The Ramparts Against Le Pen | ZeroHedge
- French Bond Investors Skeptical That Election Risk Is Over | ZeroHedge
- US Consumers Tap Out: Credit Card Defaults Surge To 4 Year High And It's Getting Worse | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- House Republicans are trying to bring down Obamacare —... | Business Insider
- Rockets owner left his seat in the middle of a play to go yell at a... | Business Insider
- Under Armour's shoe business has ground to a halt — and it could spell... | Business Insider
- The EU granted protection to 700,000 asylum-seekers last... | Business Insider
- R&B singer Ne-Yo just invested in a radical Silicon Valley... | Business Insider
- This is why Barack Obama shouldn't take Wall Street speaking fees | Business Insider
- The founder of the Germany engineering... | Business Insider