IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- No Consensus on Rate Environment, Alibaba Misses | ZeroHedge
- Q4 Earnings Shaping Up Weakly | Financial Sense
- Bill Gross Slams Broken Capitalism: "Policymakers Must Promote A Future Which Offers Hope As Opposed To Despair" | ZeroHedge
- Is a Major Bear Market in Stocks Ahead? Important Signs to Watch | Financial Sense
- The Homebuilder Hope Trade Deja Vu | ZeroHedge
- WHeN PLuNDeR BeCoMeS A WaY OF LiFe... | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: January 28 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Is A Triple-Barreled Soviet Space Gun With An... | Business Insider
- The Two Words That Made The Fed's Statement Dovish | Business Insider
- Police bullet fragments killed Sydney cafe siege victim | Business Insider
- Bill Gates Took A Shot At Google's Immortality... | Business Insider
- We're Now Getting A Sense Of The New Gambling World Order | Business Insider
- New Ukraine peace talks to take place Friday | Business Insider
- Where To Find The Best Sushi In Tokyo | Business Insider