IPO of 2014 that is a Buy (SYF)
GE is breaking up GE Financial, thus today's IPO that went unnoticed Synchrony (NYSE:SYF).
General Electric (GE) is also worth a look. Any time a solid company does a spinoff the usual result is positive for both companies. Most investors know this is a classic play and most times the best way to unlock shareholder value is to create new companies. Last year the opportunity was AbbVie (ABBV) and Abbott Lab (ABT) which over the last 12 months have gained 17% and 15% respectivley.
The spinoff is part of GE's plan to shrink its financial unit GE Capital. GE has been focusing more on industrial products like jet engines, medical equipment and oil and gas drilling equipment.
The IPO "furthers our goal to position GE Capital as a smaller, safer specialty finance leader," said CEO Jeff Immelt.
Synchrony provides store credit cards for retailers, such as Wal-Mart, J.C. Penney and Amazon.com. It also operates an online bank, which it is expanding to increase deposits and use the money to fund its credit business.
Shares of Synchrony, which are trading on the NYSE under the symbol "SYF," were unchanged at $23 in afternoon trading after rising to $24 earlier.
Bottom line: Add both SYF and GE to your watch list.
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL (SYF)
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- It’s Good to Be the King Dollar | iBankCoin.com
- What Is the VIX Fear Index Telling Us Now? | Financial Sense
- Alibaba Breaks For Trading At $92.70, Rises Over $99.50, Hits Same Market Cap As Walmart, Drops | ZeroHedge
- Slippery When Wet | iBankCoin.com
- $BABA’s Little Red Candle | iBankCoin.com
- How Does the Stock Market Perform During Rate Hikes? | Financial Sense
- Alibaba Open Indication Puts Its Market Cap Greater Than Facebook, Verizon, JPMorgan, Just Under Wal-Mart | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- China's Special Forces In Hong Kong Go Through A Ridiculous Training Regimen... | Business Insider
- This 3D Printer Is Specifically Made To Work In Zero-Gravity In Space | Business Insider
- This Old Photo Marks The Beginning Of The Crucial Partnership Between... | Business Insider
- What 21 Extremely Successful People Were Doing At Age 25 | Business Insider
- 'Keg is tapped' -- Oktoberfest opens to toast... | Business Insider
- Why One Of The NBA's Best Free Agents Still Hasn't Signed With A... | Business Insider