Leaving Las Vegas When it Comes to Real Estate
High end homes in Las Vegas are facing repo and the city has the highest foreclosure rates in the nation. Even the rich are hurting in Vegas.
Nicolas Cage, the Oscar-winning star of “Leaving Las Vegas,” bought a seven-bedroom home with a panoramic view of the city’s casino-lined Strip in 2006 for $8.5 million. By January 2010, it was in foreclosure.
The next owner, who property records show paid $4.2 million, has put the house on the market for $7.9 million -- an “unrealistic” price, according to Zar Zanganeh, the broker handling the listing.
“It’s sad,” Zanganeh said, his high-heeled boots clacking on the marble floor as he gave a tour of the 14,000-square-foot (1,300-square-meter) mansion featuring a six-person steam shower and a closet the size of a small apartment. “There’s a lot of inventory, a lot of homes like this waiting for an owner.”
A growing number of high-end homes are selling at a loss or facing repossession by lenders in Las Vegas, which already has the highest rate of foreclosure filings among large U.S. cities. The wave of defaults that began with subprime borrowers and the unemployed has spread to upscale homeowners who see no point of staying even if they can afford to. Continue>>
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- Russia Deploys Tactical Drones In The Arctic, Exposes Rarely-Seen US Spy Satellite Images | ZeroHedge
- Cybersecurity Companies in the "Military-Internet Complex" | Financial Sense
- Rising Police Aggression A Telling Indicator Of Our Societal Decline | ZeroHedge
- A Global Deleveraging Crisis Is at Our Doorstep | ZeroHedge
- The Virtual Immunity Of The Well-Connected: Gen. Petraeus Edition | ZeroHedge
- EVeRY MaN'S NiGHTMaRe... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 things you need to know before the opening bell (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ, AAPL, DB, IGTE, COCO,... | Business Insider
- WHERE ARE THEY NOW? The biggest NFL Draft busts ever | Business Insider
- The most troubling thing about Russian hackers reading... | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton's campaign says this new... | Business Insider
- Death toll from Nepal earthquake passes 1,000: police | Business Insider
- Here's why eggs are so good for you | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek