Leaving Las Vegas When it Comes to Real Estate
High end homes in Las Vegas are facing repo and the city has the highest foreclosure rates in the nation. Even the rich are hurting in Vegas.
Nicolas Cage, the Oscar-winning star of “Leaving Las Vegas,” bought a seven-bedroom home with a panoramic view of the city’s casino-lined Strip in 2006 for $8.5 million. By January 2010, it was in foreclosure.
The next owner, who property records show paid $4.2 million, has put the house on the market for $7.9 million -- an “unrealistic” price, according to Zar Zanganeh, the broker handling the listing.
“It’s sad,” Zanganeh said, his high-heeled boots clacking on the marble floor as he gave a tour of the 14,000-square-foot (1,300-square-meter) mansion featuring a six-person steam shower and a closet the size of a small apartment. “There’s a lot of inventory, a lot of homes like this waiting for an owner.”
A growing number of high-end homes are selling at a loss or facing repossession by lenders in Las Vegas, which already has the highest rate of foreclosure filings among large U.S. cities. The wave of defaults that began with subprime borrowers and the unemployed has spread to upscale homeowners who see no point of staying even if they can afford to. Continue>>
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- One Dead, 14 Injured After Ohio Nightclub Shooting; Shooter At Large | ZeroHedge
- "Troubled" London Attacker Visited Saudi Arabia 3 Times, Told Friend "I Want Some F**king Blood" | ZeroHedge
- "If They Want To Blow It Up, They Can" - How Republicans Can Hobble Healthcare Without Repeal | ZeroHedge
- Households' Equity Ownership Reaches 30% - It's Statistical Noise | Financial Sense
- Bill Maher Shuts Down Conspiracy Theorist Louise Mensch And MSNBC’s Chris Hayes Over Islam – Twice! | ZeroHedge
- Cook County Illinois Suffers Largest Population Drop In Entire US | ZeroHedge
- New Hedge Fund Fee Structures Reveal Traditional Model On Verge Of Collapse | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China: Even if we're... | Business Insider
- A new California housing law may offer an opportunity for '... | Business Insider
- Inside the stunning new headquarters of a New York design startup that creates... | Business Insider
- Rolex unveiled a new watch that's shinier than anything we've seen... | Business Insider
- There's a reason the job market doesn't feel like it... | Business Insider
- Gunman surrenders after fatal shooting on Las Vegas Strip | Business Insider
- 'United, or not at all': EU leaders meet... | Business Insider