Leaving Las Vegas When it Comes to Real Estate
High end homes in Las Vegas are facing repo and the city has the highest foreclosure rates in the nation. Even the rich are hurting in Vegas.
Nicolas Cage, the Oscar-winning star of “Leaving Las Vegas,” bought a seven-bedroom home with a panoramic view of the city’s casino-lined Strip in 2006 for $8.5 million. By January 2010, it was in foreclosure.
The next owner, who property records show paid $4.2 million, has put the house on the market for $7.9 million -- an “unrealistic” price, according to Zar Zanganeh, the broker handling the listing.
“It’s sad,” Zanganeh said, his high-heeled boots clacking on the marble floor as he gave a tour of the 14,000-square-foot (1,300-square-meter) mansion featuring a six-person steam shower and a closet the size of a small apartment. “There’s a lot of inventory, a lot of homes like this waiting for an owner.”
A growing number of high-end homes are selling at a loss or facing repossession by lenders in Las Vegas, which already has the highest rate of foreclosure filings among large U.S. cities. The wave of defaults that began with subprime borrowers and the unemployed has spread to upscale homeowners who see no point of staying even if they can afford to. Continue>>
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Memo To WSJ: The CRomnibus Abomination Was Not "A Rare Bipartisan Success" | ZeroHedge
- 5 SCaRY WoRST CaSe SCeNaRioS... | ZeroHedge
- Socialist On The Line Caption Contest | ZeroHedge
- Philly Fed Crashes From 21-Year High; Employment, New Orders Collapse | ZeroHedge
- Michael Lewis: "8 Things I Wish For Wall Street" | ZeroHedge
- Energy Stocks & Credit Decouple As Significant "Short Squeeze" Lifts Market | ZeroHedge
- The Terrorist Hackers Win: Sony Pulls Release Of "The Interview" Due To Fears Of "9/11-Style Retaliation" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Nigerian Currency Has Been Getting Absolutely Demolished | Business Insider
- Russians Are Now Panic-Buying As Many American Dollars As They Can | Business Insider
- Here's What Marcus Samuelsson Considers To Be His Biggest Mistake | Business Insider
- This Impatient Passenger Deployed The... | Business Insider
- There Was An Elaborate Hoax To Convince Wharton Students They Had To Do Community... | Business Insider
- 55 Amazing Things That Happened In 2014 | Business Insider
- The App That Makes It Incredibly Easy For Hackers To Break Into Your iPhone Just Got... | Business Insider