Leaving Las Vegas When it Comes to Real Estate
High end homes in Las Vegas are facing repo and the city has the highest foreclosure rates in the nation. Even the rich are hurting in Vegas.
Nicolas Cage, the Oscar-winning star of “Leaving Las Vegas,” bought a seven-bedroom home with a panoramic view of the city’s casino-lined Strip in 2006 for $8.5 million. By January 2010, it was in foreclosure.
The next owner, who property records show paid $4.2 million, has put the house on the market for $7.9 million -- an “unrealistic” price, according to Zar Zanganeh, the broker handling the listing.
“It’s sad,” Zanganeh said, his high-heeled boots clacking on the marble floor as he gave a tour of the 14,000-square-foot (1,300-square-meter) mansion featuring a six-person steam shower and a closet the size of a small apartment. “There’s a lot of inventory, a lot of homes like this waiting for an owner.”
A growing number of high-end homes are selling at a loss or facing repossession by lenders in Las Vegas, which already has the highest rate of foreclosure filings among large U.S. cities. The wave of defaults that began with subprime borrowers and the unemployed has spread to upscale homeowners who see no point of staying even if they can afford to. Continue>>
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Florida Man Arrested After Limping From Pawn Shop With AK-47s Stuffed Down His Pants | ZeroHedge
- The Future Is Served: Meet Moley the Robot Master Chef | Financial Sense
- Virtu Revenue In Peril: Reuters, BATS Launch Crackdown On Algo FX Manipulation | ZeroHedge
- Robots on Verge of Replacing Human Anesthesiologists | Financial Sense
- Humiliated McDonalds To Stop Reporting Monthly Sales | ZeroHedge
- Initial Jobless Claims Rise, Miss Expectations - Gone Nowhere Since The End Of QE3 | ZeroHedge
- Enough With the Greeks Already | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Pre-... | StreetInsider.com
- Mystery of holes in Swiss cheese cracked after a century | Business Insider
- Mark Zuckerberg: Facebook Amber Alerts have already saved a child | Business Insider
- Google’s genius futurist has one theory that he says will rule the future — and... | Business Insider
- Apple exec: 'The car is the ultimate mobile device... | Business Insider
- 'Dementor' wasp, giant stick insect among new... | Business Insider