Michael Moore's "Capitalism: A Love Story" Opens October 2nd
Moore's latest movie, Capitalism: A Love Story was screened this weekend at the Venice Film Festival. This time around, Moore attempts to make a citizen's arrest of AIG (NYSE:AIG) executives, and puts tape around the New York Stock Exchange building, declaring it a crime scene. He also asks Wall Streeters for advice on healing the nation. One man's quick reply: "Don't make any more movies."
By Richard Corliss (CNNMoney.com/FORTUNE) -- "Capitalism" has lots of statistics, like the Rasmussen poll that showed only a slight majority of young adults prefer capitalism to socialism. But this is a lecture from a charismatic comedian of a professor; he makes his points with gag movie references and quick visual puns.
In "Capitalism," when the narrator of a 1950s instructional film about ancient Rome's use of gladiatorial games "to keep the idle citizens entertained," he tosses in a shot from American Idol. (Idle, Idol.) Running a clip from the 1977 "Jesus of Nazareth," Moore puts new words in the Messiah's mouth so that Jesus now tells a supplicant, "I am sorry, I cannot heal your preexisting condition."
Moore does give a little time to those on the other side. As a carpenter hammers pasteboard over the facade of a foreclosed home, he observes, "If people pay their bills, they don't get thrown out." Wall Street Journal editorial board member Stephen Moore gets about a minute to explain why capitalism is great and democracy isn't.
Sometimes Moore lavishes attention on adversaries just because they're so much fun. Peter Zalewski, founder of Condo Vultures, which buys up defaulted homes on the quick and cheap, tells the filmmaker, "What's the difference between me and a real vulture? I say that's simple: I don't vomit on myself."
Toward the end, Moore shows the jubilation in Chicago's Grant Park the night Barack Obama was voted President. Two days before that election, Moore said of Obama, "The Republicans aren't kidding when they say he's the 'most liberal' member of the Senate. ... He is our best possible chance to step back from the edge of the cliff."
Here's the trailer for Capitalism: A Love Story:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chinese Economy Crashes To 2-Year Low; China Stocks Plunge, Asian Stocks Test 2015 Lows | ZeroHedge
- Citadel Barred From Trading In China After Regulator Accuses "Automated Trading" Unit Of Manipulation | ZeroHedge
- Here's The Bad News That Nobody Is Telling You About The Record Lows In Initial Jobless Claims | ZeroHedge
- American (Predatory) Capitalism Explained In 130 Seconds | ZeroHedge
- US Police Kill 118 People In July, Highest Monthly Total Of 2015 | ZeroHedge
- This Coal Mine Valued At $630 Million In 2011 Just Sold For One Dollar | ZeroHedge
- LIBOR Scapegoat Found Guilty, Sentenced To 14 Years | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Beijing is shutting factories and ordering... | Business Insider
- Some Americans refuse to give up on Confederate flag | Business Insider
- 2 Turkish soldiers killed, 24 wounded... | Business Insider
- A college student who still uses a flip phone explains why everyone else is missing out | Business Insider
- This man will pay you $10,000 to find him a girlfriend | Business Insider
- The GOP civil war has quietly exploded back into the open — and it could get... | Business Insider
- US-led warplanes are going after ISIS' most devastating weapon | Business Insider