Michael Moore's "Capitalism: A Love Story" Opens October 2nd
Moore's latest movie, Capitalism: A Love Story was screened this weekend at the Venice Film Festival. This time around, Moore attempts to make a citizen's arrest of AIG (NYSE:AIG) executives, and puts tape around the New York Stock Exchange building, declaring it a crime scene. He also asks Wall Streeters for advice on healing the nation. One man's quick reply: "Don't make any more movies."
By Richard Corliss (CNNMoney.com/FORTUNE) -- "Capitalism" has lots of statistics, like the Rasmussen poll that showed only a slight majority of young adults prefer capitalism to socialism. But this is a lecture from a charismatic comedian of a professor; he makes his points with gag movie references and quick visual puns.
In "Capitalism," when the narrator of a 1950s instructional film about ancient Rome's use of gladiatorial games "to keep the idle citizens entertained," he tosses in a shot from American Idol. (Idle, Idol.) Running a clip from the 1977 "Jesus of Nazareth," Moore puts new words in the Messiah's mouth so that Jesus now tells a supplicant, "I am sorry, I cannot heal your preexisting condition."
Moore does give a little time to those on the other side. As a carpenter hammers pasteboard over the facade of a foreclosed home, he observes, "If people pay their bills, they don't get thrown out." Wall Street Journal editorial board member Stephen Moore gets about a minute to explain why capitalism is great and democracy isn't.
Sometimes Moore lavishes attention on adversaries just because they're so much fun. Peter Zalewski, founder of Condo Vultures, which buys up defaulted homes on the quick and cheap, tells the filmmaker, "What's the difference between me and a real vulture? I say that's simple: I don't vomit on myself."
Toward the end, Moore shows the jubilation in Chicago's Grant Park the night Barack Obama was voted President. Two days before that election, Moore said of Obama, "The Republicans aren't kidding when they say he's the 'most liberal' member of the Senate. ... He is our best possible chance to step back from the edge of the cliff."
Here's the trailer for Capitalism: A Love Story:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- GHoST IN THe SMeLL... | ZeroHedge
- Jim Rogers Warns, The Fed "Has No Clue... Will Ruin Us All" | ZeroHedge
- "Something Stinks Here" - CrowdStrike Revises, Retracts Parts Of Explosive Russian Hacking Report | ZeroHedge
- Second Foundation: Empire Crumbling | ZeroHedge
- A Big Tailwind for the Stock Market Has Now Dissipated | Financial Sense
- If Evelyn Farkas Resigned in 2015, How Did She Have Access to Trump-Russian Intelligence? | ZeroHedge
- Trump Signs Executive Order Rolling Back Obama's Climate Policies: Who Benefits The Most? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Traders are betting against another company to capitalize on Sears... | Business Insider
- Most work emails are opened within 6 seconds — here's how it affects your productivity | Business Insider
- Wells Fargo agrees to pay $110 million to settle customer accounts lawsuit | Business Insider
- SpaceX is about to try a 'potentially revolutionary' rocket launch — here's... | Business Insider
- A Russian billionaire with business ties to Paul Manafort says he's... | Business Insider
- Former Hillary Clinton press secretary says the campaign was blindsided by the... | Business Insider
- THE SELF-INSTALLED SMART HOME REPORT: Why current smart home device owners are appealing to tech companies | Business Insider