DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Unfolding Economic Crisis in Europe | Financial Sense
- Great Graphic: Shifting Center of World Economy | Financial Sense
- U.S. Retail Offsets Eurozone Weakness | Financial Sense
- The Average Hedge Fund Is Down -1% YTD, And The Redemption Requests Are Now Flooding In | ZeroHedge
- The Need To Escape Collapsing Empires | ZeroHedge
- S&P 500 "Most Overbought" Since Feb 2012 | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Chelsea pull away, Toure rescues Man City | Business Insider
- Elon Musk On Tesla's Gigafactory: We Didn... | Business Insider
- 17 Thanksgiving Hacks For The Best Meal Of Your Life | Business Insider
- Dutch teen remanded after mum rescues her... | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- The Sleek Panther Drone Is The Perfect Way To Start Flying [55% Off] | Business Insider
- Brazil slams media 'manipulation' on Petrobras... | Business Insider