DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A Different Assessment of Risk | ZeroHedge
- E-Commerce With Chinese Characteristics | Financial Sense
- Shell’s Prelude, the World’s Largest Ever Floating Vessel, Hits the Sea | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap December 3, 2013 | FundMyMutualFund
- A Dogmatic Slumber | ZeroHedge
- Late Night Stock Market Setups for Wednesday | iBankCoin.com
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Fast and Furious' Actress Gal Gadot Cast As Wonder Woman In '... | Business Insider
- How To Keep Your Spouse On Budget | Business Insider
- 2014 Will Be Filled With Political Landmines In The Emerging Markets | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- How To Wear A Tie For Every Work Occasion | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- These Dazzling Pictures Will Make You Appreciate The UN Like Never Before | Business Insider