DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Central Bankers Are Killing Capitalism" Odey Warns, Moving Politics "Fast To Extremes" | ZeroHedge
- Celebrating 45 Years Of Phony Money | ZeroHedge
- Gold In Bull Market – "Every Reason For It To Continue" - Frisby In Money Week | ZeroHedge
- "Game Over" - Nintendo Crashes Most Since 1990 After Admitting "Limited Earnings Impact" From Pokemon Go | ZeroHedge
- Obama's "Deeply Disappointed" Half-Brother Will Vote Trump Because "He Speaks From The Heart" | ZeroHedge
- With Kuroda Under Pressure To Increase Stimulus Again, Dissenters Appear | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: July 25 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China isn't the only one building islands in the South China Sea | Business Insider
- A 'Game of Thrones' actor showed up to Comic-Con looking completely... | Business Insider
- THE BLOCKCHAIN REPORT: Why the technology behind Bitcoin is seeing widespread investment and early... | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today | Business Insider
- Here's why you should spend 5 minutes in total silence every morning | Business Insider
- Bernie Sanders is drowned with boos after telling his supporters they must... | Business Insider
- One of New York's top real estate tycoons is selling his Hamptons mansion... | Business Insider