DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Trillion Dollar Bet | iBankCoin.com
- Will Ukraine Retake the East From Separatists? | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap August 29, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Middle-East 'Frenemies' | ZeroHedge
- Q2 GDP Revised Upward | Financial Sense
- And The Best Performing Asset In August Was... | ZeroHedge
- Gold Lock Down Despite Aggressive Plan To Ban Russia From SWIFT, Terrorism & War Risk; Palladium At Multi-Year High Over $900 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How To Switch Off iCloud So Hackers Can't Find Your Naked Photos (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Serena, Pennetta set-up US Open quarter-final clash | Business Insider
- This Is The Best Evidence We’ve Seen For The Gigantic 5.5 Inch iPhone 6 | Business Insider
- Greenberg: Parsing an Irrational Defense of Williams-Sonoma | TheStreet.com
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know Today (AAPL, MSFT, GOOG, TWTR)... | Business Insider
- When Is The iPhone 6 Coming Out? Probably September 19... (AAPL) | Business Insider
- New test fast-tracks diagnosis for malaria | Business Insider