DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Fake News" Site Threatens Washington Post With Defamation Suit, Demands Retraction | ZeroHedge
- Italian Government Prepares To Nationalize Monte Paschi | ZeroHedge
- CNBC Shills Attempt to Derail the Farage Train, But Fail Miserably | ZeroHedge
- Trump’s Shot Across China’s Bow | ZeroHedge
- The Diference Between The Greatest And… Everyone Else | Altucher Confidential
- Pentagon May Receive Over $600 Billion Despite Hiding Additional $125 Billion ‘Waste’ | ZeroHedge
- France: Decomposing In Front Of Our Eyes | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Amazon’s new grocery store highlights a huge hole in... | Business Insider
- New Pokémon are coming to Pokémon GO — here's what we know so... | Business Insider
- Senate Republicans are not on board with privatizing... | Business Insider
- Crude oil is losing its OPEC rally | Business Insider
- The CEO of United Technologies just let slip an... | Business Insider
- The wildest part of Klay Thompson's monster 60-point... | Business Insider
- A doctor shares 6 research-backed ways to fend off the winter blues | Business Insider