DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trump Promises "Insurance For Everybody" In Obamacare Repeal | ZeroHedge
- Proposed Tax Changes and How to Benefit from Them | Financial Sense
- Why The Stock Market Has Soared (And We'll All Soon Know What It's Like To Be A Madoff Client) | ZeroHedge
- Howard Marks: "So Much For The Experts" | ZeroHedge
- Ray-Ban Maker Luxottica To Merge With French Esilor, Creating $49 Billion Eyewear Giant | ZeroHedge
- Indexing Lunacy | ZeroHedge
- At Least 20 Killed (6 Children) After Turkish Airlines 747 Crashes Into Kyrgyzstan Residences | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Anti-Trump protesters are gearing up ahead of... | Business Insider
- Iraqi special forces are closing in on... | Business Insider
- Trump's nominee for... | Business Insider
- These are the 10 safest low-cost airlines in the world for 2017 | Business Insider
- Ice has encrusted this desert city — and it looks like... | Business Insider
- This $100 million monstrous excavator can dig up 240,000 tons of rock a day | Business Insider
- 'The weak players are leaving the... | Business Insider