DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Martin Armstrong Asks "Will We Have Another 'Waco' In Nevada?" | ZeroHedge
- Before and After Effects of Drugs | iBankCoin.com
- GM Admits Multiple Federal Criminal Probes Under Way | ZeroHedge
- Gold Slammed To Fresh 10-Week Lows Below Key Technical Level | ZeroHedge
- Durable Goods Beat On Surge In Boeing Orders, Capital Goods Orders Ahead Of Expectations | ZeroHedge
- Exactly Like 7 Years Ago? 2014 Is Turning Out To Be Eerily Similar To 2007 | ZeroHedge
- Putin Says "Use Of Force In Ukraine Will Have Consequences" As Column Of Military Vehicles Seen Heading Toward Border | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's How One Man Traveled To More Than 30 Countries Using Credit Card... | Business Insider
- Etsy Just Bought Boutique Electronics Startup Grand St. | Business Insider
- 9 Animated Maps That Will Change The Way You See The World | Business Insider
- Q&A: Cover's Andrew Cove On Improving The Payment... | Business Insider
- We Recreated The Pepsi Challenge To See What People Really Like | Business Insider
- The iPad Has Hit A Wall | Business Insider
- 7 Maps Of Florida That Will Change The Way You See The Sunshine State | Business Insider