DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Mapping Income Mobility: The Best (And Worst) Places To Grow Up | ZeroHedge
- Meet The FBI's Secret 'Eye In The Sky' Overseeing The Baltimore Riots | ZeroHedge
- Dollar Better than Gold? Ask Venezuela | ZeroHedge
- Hong Kong 'Loophole' May Have Flooded China With Radioactive Japanese Foods | ZeroHedge
- In The New Paranormal, Junk Bonds Are A "Haven Asset" | ZeroHedge
- Baker Bros Does it Again | iBankCoin.com
- How The Shanghai Composite Can Rise 461% From Here | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Twitter may be giving one of its newer executives more power | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Apple has an amazing opportunity to completely change TV if it... | Business Insider
- CRISTIANO RONALDO: How the world's highest-paid soccer star spends his... | Business Insider
- Spain's unemployment is falling at the fastest... | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- Carly Fiorina is fundraising off of her domain name mishap | Business Insider