DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Collapse Of Western Democracy | ZeroHedge
- Brexit Portfolio Strategy Analysis & Why ETFs Suck (Video) | ZeroHedge
- Tesla Tumbles After Fatal "Auto Pilot" Car Crash | ZeroHedge
- Venezuela: Mired in Crisis, With No Clear Path Ahead | Financial Sense
- No June Swoon, Bye Bye in July? | Financial Sense
- Four Charts that Worry Investment Experts | Financial Sense
- China: Has Policy Reflation Lost Momentum? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Jessica Williams is leaving 'The Daily Show' | Business Insider
- 17 of the best bottomless brunches in New York City | Business Insider
- The publisher of 'Mein Kampf' is going to donate... | Business Insider
- This year's wildfires are earlier, more frequent, and bigger... | Business Insider
- Facts about today's teens' technology, social media use and sex | Business Insider
- RYAN CAVES: House speaker tells GOP he will allow vote on gun measure, source says... | Business Insider
- 9 of the best men's loafers for every occasion | Business Insider