DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Pettis: Capital Flooding Into US as Global Trade Environment Deteriorates | Financial Sense
- Eurozone Equities: Political Risks versus Strong Macro Crosscurrents | Financial Sense
- Orgy Enthusiast Bill Maher Defends Statutory Rape On Several Occasions - "The Crime Is That We Didn't Get It On Videotape" | ZeroHedge
- Break Up The USA? | ZeroHedge
- Who's Contributing How Much To Financing NATO? | ZeroHedge
- Is Weakening Breadth Warning of a Pullback or Major Top? | Financial Sense
- Retired Green Beret Exposes How Secretive Non-Profit Organizations Erode The United States | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This is the surefire way to maximize your Social Security benefits | Business Insider
- Someone draped a 'refugees welcome' banner on the Statue of Liberty... | Business Insider
- The ruble is tumbling after Russia's unemployment rate jumps | Business Insider
- This is by far the best travel pillow I've ever used | Business Insider
- 6 ways this tool takes the drama out of picking your next credit card | Business Insider
- How much it costs to buy a 30-second ad on UK television | Business Insider
- A ‘Game of Thrones’ star has been cast as the lead in ABC... | Business Insider