DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Overnight Carry-Driven Futures Ramp Pushes Stocks Just Shy Of New Record | ZeroHedge
- Weekly Sentiment Report: Is There Another Rabbit in the Hat? | ZeroHedge
- Trip Down Memory Lane: The Full Ukraine Crisis Timeline | ZeroHedge
- 50% Profit Growth and Historical Realities | Financial Sense
- Celebrating China's First Bond Default: Copper Limit Down, Yuan Crashes Most In Six Years | ZeroHedge
- Ukrainian Drone Captures Video Of Russian Troops Fortifying In The Crimea | ZeroHedge
- 4 Trade Ideas For Tuesday | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- CHART: 3 MLB Teams Have Spent More Than $1 Billion On Players Since Last Making The Playoffs | Business Insider
- The Top 30 Free Agents In The NFL | Business Insider
- Russian Forces Seize Another Military Airport In... | Business Insider
- The Good and Bad From One Airline's Overpriced Business Class Cabin | TheStreet.com
- How 'The... | Business Insider
- Sheryl Sandberg Enlisted Beyoncé For A 'Lean In'... | Business Insider
- Neil deGrasse Tyson: Here's What Happens To Your Body In Space | Business Insider