DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Robot Kills Worker At German Car Factory | ZeroHedge
- Trading Stocks - It's Easier Than Farmwork... And Porn | ZeroHedge
- Cost Of "War" With ISIS Hits $9.2 Million Per Day | ZeroHedge
- Secret Court Permits NSA To Keep Collecting Our Data | ZeroHedge
- The Troika Turns Europe Into A Warzone | ZeroHedge
- June Payrolls Increase By 223K, Less Than Expected; Unemployment Rate Drops To 5.3% | ZeroHedge
- Have the Saudis Miscalculated the Impact of Lower Crude Prices on US Production? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The violence in 'Arkham Knight' isn't very graphic, but it almost... | Business Insider
- Research suggests there are 4 types of introverts — find out which best describes you | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- One Belarusian company reportedly started paying its employees in sour... | Business Insider
- Why a founder on track to take his company public... | Business Insider
- Yelp is tanking on a report that it's no longer looking to sell (YELP) | Business Insider
- Here's when all your favorite TV shows are returning this fall | Business Insider