DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Manufacturing PMI and Output Back in Contraction | Financial Sense
- The 'Modest' Economic Implications Of Obama's Immigration Policy Changes | ZeroHedge
- Oil Slumps To 4 Year Low Ahead Of OPEC, Eurozone Yields New Record Lows: Summary Of Overnight Events | ZeroHedge
- Are Low Rates Responsible for High Valuations | Financial Sense
- Swiss Yes Vote Possible - First “Gold Rush” Of 21st Century? | ZeroHedge
- Global Economies Will Dictate Rate Hike Timing | Financial Sense
- "We Are A Nation Built On The Rule Of Law" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ebola vaccine promising in first human trials: NIH | Business Insider
- Cricket greats say Australia-India Test should go ahead | Business Insider
- Who Needs Thanksgiving? Black Friday Sales Are Soaring Overseas | TheStreet.com
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before European Markets Open | Business Insider
- Lacklustre Japan data paints gloomy picture for Abenomics... | Business Insider
- South Korea current account surplus expands in October | Business Insider