DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Algos Spooked After Yellen Says "Almost All Participants" See 2015 Rate Hike | ZeroHedge
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Industrial Production | Financial Sense
- $1 Trillion In Global CapEx At "Unambiguous" Risk As A Result Of Crude Crash | ZeroHedge
- Recent Hindenburg Omens Signaled Caution, Now What? | Financial Sense
- The Real Crisis Will Be North of $100 Trillion | ZeroHedge
- What is China’s Banking System Telling Us? | ZeroHedge
- Charts Show 28 Seriously Troubled Mega-Banks: 24 of Them in Europe | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A Hindu Monk Says Wealth Is A Good Thing — Unless You Make This One Mistake | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- The US Is Ready To Blame North Korea For The Sony... | Business Insider
- 15 Overlay Maps That Will Change The Way You See The World... | Business Insider
- Researchers 'Averaged' The Faces Of 400 CEOs — Here's The Prototypical... | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- Brent Crude Oil Is Holding Below $60 | Business Insider