DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 2015: The Last Christmas In America | ZeroHedge
- Kurt Kallaus: Still No Recession; Expect Mild Acceleration in 2016 | Financial Sense
- The Bitcoin Universe Explained | ZeroHedge
- Here's How To Trigger A Bank Run | ZeroHedge
- Market Panics After Arrest Of Brazilian Lawmaker: "Never Have We Had So Little Certainty About Tomorrow" | ZeroHedge
- How A Secretive Elite Created The EU To Build A World Government | ZeroHedge
- Serial Bubbles Mean Serial Crashes... and the Next One Will Dwarf 2008 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 13 things mentally strong people don't do | Business Insider
- George Lucas hasn't looked at the internet in 15 years — this is why | Business Insider
- BlackBerry is leaving Pakistan for 'security reasons' (BBRY)... | Business Insider
- Millennials are making their parents' shoe brands cool again | Business Insider
- The Latest: Leaders, activists gather for climate talks | Business Insider
- US stocks are little changed in early trading after... | Business Insider
- AP Top 25: Oklahoma up to No. 3, Clemson-Alabama still 1-2... | Business Insider