DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Happy Days Are Not Here Again | ZeroHedge
- One Part Of The Economy Is Booming: The Underground/Cash-Only Sector | ZeroHedge
- Gary Dorsch: “Hundreds of Billions” in Defaults if Commodity Crash Continues | Financial Sense
- Bill Gross Sues PIMCO "Cabal" Over Ouster, Seeks "Hundreds Of Millions", Blames El-Erian | ZeroHedge
- The Real Reason For The Refugee Crisis You Won't Hear About In The Media | ZeroHedge
- "Neutralizing" John Lennon: One Man Against The "Monster" | ZeroHedge
- Zweig Breadth Thrust Signal | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- USA Today just used Facebook's new... | Business Insider
- House GOP to vote for new speaker, but won't be last... | Business Insider
- Platini calls reports of a 90-day suspension 'insidious... | Business Insider
- North Korea readies massive anniversary celebration | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- The story of the year in global markets has been a 'negative... | Business Insider
- 'Walking Dead' creator explains his original... | Business Insider