DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Goldman's FOMC Post-Mortem: "Slightly Hawkish Tilt" | ZeroHedge
- China PMI Jumps To 2 Year Highs (Jobs Contract For 27 Months), Japan PMI Slips (Jobs Worst In 11 Months) | ZeroHedge
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- Momentary Delight | iBankCoin.com
- It…Was a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood | iBankCoin.com
- Lifting the Gassy Stench | iBankCoin.com
- Payrolls Watch: July Challenger Job Layoffs Surge Most In Over 2 Years | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- GDP Was Strong, but 'Don't Jump in Front of the Train' to Buy Stocks | TheStreet.com
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- How Kraft Foods Saved Tang From Obscurity | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- How An Oil Engineer Discovered Auto-Tune And Changed The Music Industry Forever | Business Insider
- The Fabulous Life Of Billionaire Mark Zuckerberg | Business Insider