DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Rand Paul Blocks Extension Of Patriot Act, Future Of Illegal NSA Spying On Americans In Limbo | ZeroHedge
- ABC's of the AIIB | Financial Sense
- In Unprecedented Move, California Farmers With Guaranteed Rights Cut Water Use By 25% | ZeroHedge
- "New Silk Road" Could Change Global Economics Forever, Part 1 | ZeroHedge
- Is Greece Still a Country if Someone Else Owns Its Assets? | Financial Sense
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Increased Again in April | Financial Sense
- Bank Of England Accidentally E-mails Top-Secret Brexit Plan To Newspaper | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- These are Europe's top 20 business schools | Business Insider
- Taking one year to teach English in South Korea completely changed my life | Business Insider
- 40 courses every golfer should play in their lifetime | Business Insider
- BlackBerry cuts more jobs as it changes its focus from phones (BBRY) | Business Insider
- The only 3 knives you need in your kitchen | Business Insider
- Five global banks just proved that no... | Business Insider