DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The US Endgame? Creating A Climate That "Could Easily Be Transformed Into War" | ZeroHedge
- BiLDeRBeRG NeWS... | ZeroHedge
- Is The World Getting Crazier, But We No Longer Notice? | ZeroHedge
- What Are The Three Signs Of A "Disorderly" Currency Market: Richard Koo Explains | ZeroHedge
- Gold & Silver Surge To New Cycle Highs After China Strengthens Yuan By Most In 11 Years | ZeroHedge
- Is Wall Street Cyber Secure? | Financial Sense
- Warning: Hawkishness Ahead | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A crucial test event for the Rio Olympics 'endangered the safety of... | Business Insider
- Faraday Future's business partner wants to dominate Silicon... | Business Insider
- Americans aren't feeling good about the future | Business Insider
- Republicans are trying to downplay the chaotic protests at Trump... | Business Insider
- The incredibly successful life of Drake — music's most polarizing icon who made $40 million in... | Business Insider
- A German city has come up with an ingenious solution for bumbling texting... | Business Insider
- The 25 highest-paying jobs you can get without a college degree | Business Insider