DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- ECB Hires Blackrock For ABS-Buying Advice; Crushes Idea Of Upcoming QE | ZeroHedge
- Gold Is the Money of Kings, Debt the Money of Slaves | Financial Sense
- New Position PSEC Takes A Day One Nosebleed | iBankCoin.com
- Ukraine Again Says It Has Destroyed Russian Military Vehicles, Market No Longer Cares | ZeroHedge
- Perfect Strangers United | iBankCoin.com
- Why Americans Are So Sensitive To Even The Smallest Increase In Prices | ZeroHedge
- The DSKing Of Christine Lagarde: IMF Head Formally Charged In Fraud Probe | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Mother Of Kidnapped American Journalist Steven Sotloff Makes Emotional Plea To... | Business Insider
- THE PROGRAMMATIC ADVERTISING REPORT: Real-Time Bidding Is Taking Over The Digital Ad... | Business Insider
- Tiffany's Is Rallying (TIF) | Business Insider
- Erdogan to be sworn in as Turkey's new president | Business Insider
- 11 Rare Apps That Were Yanked From Apple's App Store | Business Insider
- Oi S.A. (OIBR) Said Seeking Partners for TIM Breakup (... | StreetInsider.com
- Obama Is Pursuing A 'Sweeping' International Climate Agreement —... | Business Insider