DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Monday Humor: Go 'West' Young Men | ZeroHedge
- Playing the Chinese Trump Card | Financial Sense
- Market Recap Aug 31, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- The Alarming Regularity of 6 and 7-Sigma Events Illustrates Why a Deep Understanding of Banker-Induced Fraud is a Necessity | ZeroHedge
- Is This Man Responsible For China's Stock Market Crash? | ZeroHedge
- Tricky Tricky | iBankCoin.com
- Rigor Mortis Of The Robo-Machines | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How to control your iPhone with your head | Business Insider
- Thai prime minister says main suspect in bombing arrested... | Business Insider
- Google has a sleek new logo | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (GOOG, AAPL, HP, MSI) | Business Insider
- Congolese warlord 'keen to prove innocence at war... | Business Insider
- The oil crash has 'everyone on pins and needles' in Texas (USO, OIL... | Business Insider