DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Davidowitz: Retailers in 'Survival Mode' as Headwinds Multiply | Financial Sense
- Peak Insanity: This "Trophy Apartment" In Manhattan Is Going For A Cool $250 Million | ZeroHedge
- China Sends Yellen Another Warning, Fixes Yuan At Lowest In Over Five years | ZeroHedge
- Mizuho CEO Warns Japan Sales Tax Delay Is "Admission Abenomics Has Failed" | ZeroHedge
- Will We Never Learn? The Economic Lessons From Venezuela's Current Collapse | ZeroHedge
- The Fascinating Story Of How The Petrodollar Was Born And Lived In Secrecy For Over 40 Years | ZeroHedge
- "It's Unbearable" 50-Year-Old German Woman Rages "I Have Lost All My Trust In The State" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The fintech industry explained: The trends disrupting the world... | Business Insider
- The federal government has squashed merger activity this year | Business Insider
- NATE SILVER: Warriors have a 69% chance to win the NBA Finals | Business Insider
- This high-tech luxury appliance store could be the future of retail | Business Insider
- How the Golden State Warriors won Game 6 and... | Business Insider
- Here's how the Internet of Things will... | Business Insider
- 10 things you need to know today (spy, spx, qqq, dia, jazz, cpxx, vz) | Business Insider