DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Hofstra University Unveils "Trigger Warning" For Tonight's Debate | ZeroHedge
- Watch This Key Level | Financial Sense
- Oil Pops After Crude Inventories Unexpectedly Drop | ZeroHedge
- I Prefer Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton (Video) | ZeroHedge
- BaNZai7 DeBaTe PReVieW... | ZeroHedge
- The Growth of the Anti-Establishment Movement Outside the West | Financial Sense
- Caught On Tape: Hackers Take Control Of A Moving Tesla From Miles Away | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Blizzard’s Jeff Kaplan talked to us about 'Titan,' the years-... | Business Insider
- HBO's new show 'Westworld' is set in a mind-bending robot theme park | Business Insider
- Why Trump's performance on the 'most important night of the whole campaign... | Business Insider
- 7 of the best watches you can buy for under $100 right now | Business Insider
- Business executives in Texas say the US economy is still a 'big... | Business Insider
- Trump's campaign manager: 'He was quite a gentleman'... | Business Insider
- A woman who has reviewed over 40,000 résumés says these are... | Business Insider