DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- As Fracking Expands, So Does Opposition – Even In Texas | Financial Sense
- Apple's Quarter In Charts | ZeroHedge
- Testing Out the Booths at the Market’s Summer Fair | iBankCoin.com
- Malaysia PM Announces MH17 Black Boxes Will Be Handed Over Shortly | ZeroHedge
- Rising Wages Where? Real Wages Post First Annual Decline Since 2012 | ZeroHedge
- With 1 Week Left Until Argentina's 'D'efault-Day, Judge Blasts "Judgments Are Judgments" | ZeroHedge
- Russia Touts South Stream Pipeline As Europe’s Gas Lifeline | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Market Wrap: CPI... | StreetInsider.com
- Mixing Alcohol With Energy Drinks Makes Us Want To Drink More | Business Insider
- Why Chasing 'Extrinsic Goals' Can Wreck Your Happiness | Business Insider
- The 10 Best Tequila Drinks on the Planet | TheStreet.com
- This Cutting-Edge Driving Simulator Helps Prevent Car Crashes Before They... | Business Insider
- Murdoch Not Likely To Raise Time Warner Bid Immediately, Source Says | Business Insider
- Google, Verizon, Samsung, And Others Want To Make New York City Pay Phones Useful Again... | Business Insider