DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- All Major US Equity Indices Are In The Red Post-QE3 | ZeroHedge
- Brazil's Economy Is On The Verge Of Total Collapse | ZeroHedge
- BABA Bye Bye: Chinese MegaCap Plunges Below Post-IPO First Print | ZeroHedge
- 94% of Leading Economic Indicators Showing Positive Growth for the U.S. | Financial Sense
- Greece should Ice the Troika! | ZeroHedge
- Within 3 Days Hence, The Market Will Be Much Higher | iBankCoin.com
- The Algos Say Buy Oil | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Lamplighters keep London's history burning | Business Insider
- Sharapova out to end decade of Serena dominance | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- The Ebola Epidemic Is Finally Slowing | Business Insider
- This Tech Platform Is Allowing Brands To Scale Native Advertising In A Big Way | Business Insider
- Jack Dorsey Unleashed A Massive Tweetstorm To Defend... | Business Insider
- This Business Card Is The Stretched... | Business Insider