DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Wealth Inequality Is Not A Problem, It’s A Symptom | ZeroHedge
- Equity Futures Open Higher, Retrace 50% Of Losses On USDJPY Kneejerk | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap October 17, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Oil Prices Continue to Define Geopolitics | Financial Sense
- Big Misses for Retail Sales, NY Manufacturing | Financial Sense
- Sweden Deploys Army, Air Force, Navy Near Stockholm Over Reported Damaged Russian Sub; Moscow Denies | ZeroHedge
- "Ebola Cruise" Returns To Texas After Suspected Healthcare Worker Cleared | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Criticism, praise follows Catholic Church's gays... | Business Insider
- The Untold Story Of How Steve Jobs Re-Introduced His Signature Design Style To Apple... | Business Insider
- Why The Euro Crisis Is Far From Over | Business Insider
- Iraq MPs finally approve defence, interior ministers | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Why Democrats Aren't Boasting About Their Biggest... | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek