DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Forget "Lower For Longer", The Fed's New Message Is "Sooner But Slower" | ZeroHedge
- Market Jumps On Today's Central Bank Verbal Plunge Protection, Courtesy Of Mario Draghi | ZeroHedge
- The Window For The iBC Investor Conference Is Closing | iBankCoin.com
- Hoist The King’s Flag | iBankCoin.com
- China, Europe & Earnings at Home | Financial Sense
- Yale Researcher: 12% Of Liberia's Most Populous County May Have Ebola By December 15 | ZeroHedge
- Let Oil Be Your Guide | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Incredible Star-Shaped Superyacht Will Cost Half A Billion Dollars | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- 15 Must-Have Apps For Your New iPad (APPL) | Business Insider
- The Single Most Important Risk To Stock Market Investors | Business Insider
- The World's Second Biggest Retailer Is Getting Hammered As Profits Collapse 90% | Business Insider
- Twitter Needs to Show Mass Appeal to Really Win Over Wall Street | TheStreet.com
- Canada shooter planned to go to Syria: police | Business Insider