DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Sanders Slams Hillary As Wall Street Puppet Ahead Of Critical New Hampshire Primary | ZeroHedge
- North Korea Launches Long-Range Rocket | ZeroHedge
- "Folly For The Ages": After Buying Back 63 Million Shares At $83, Hess Just Sold 25 Million Shares At $39 | ZeroHedge
- Krinsky on Stock Market: Primary Trend Has Shifted to the Downside | Financial Sense
- Ukraine Bonds Crash After Economy Minister Resigns Over "High-Level Corruption" | ZeroHedge
- Facebook's War On Freedom Of Speech | ZeroHedge
- 70% Of Jobs Added In January Were Minimum Wage Waiters And Retail Workers | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How one Colombian family allegedly helped 'El Chapo... | Business Insider
- Steve Jobs was one of the greatest procrastinators ever —... | Business Insider
- This Polaroid camera is a fun and simple way to make your photos feel a little more... | Business Insider
- THE WIRELESS CARRIERS REPORT: Industry shake-... | Business Insider
- Ryan Reynolds is the best thing about ‘Deadpool’ and that’s really all the... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Here's everything you should know before buying a diamond ring | Business Insider