DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is Portugal The Next "Shoe To Drop" In Europe? | ZeroHedge
- US Destroyer Fired Warning Shots At "Harassing" Iranian Fast-Attack Ship | ZeroHedge
- Leaked Memo Exposes George Soros' Plan To Overthrow Putin & Destabilise Russia | ZeroHedge
- FBI Admits Clinton Used Software Designed To "Prevent Recovery" And "Hide Traces Of" Deleted Emails | ZeroHedge
- Four More Mega-Banks Join The Anti-Dollar Alliance | ZeroHedge
- Paul Craig Roberts: Trump Vs. Hillary Summarized | ZeroHedge
- "Bad Cop" Fischer Spoils "Good Cop" Yellen's Party: Stocks Plunge, VIX Spikes | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This is the state of the global ad economy so far this year... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- 15 ways product designers would change the human body | Business Insider
- The Google of China has unveiled its new all-electric, self-driving car | Business Insider
- Messaging apps are now bigger than social networks | Business Insider
- Paypal is probably making the right move but the market... | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek