DirecTV CEO Chase Carey and his Moustache are leaving as Liberty merger nears
DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) is losing CEO Chase Carey to its old owner, News Corp. (NASDAQ:NWS), just as the satellite broadcaster readies to merge with an offshoot of John Malone’s Liberty Media Corp. (NASDAQ:LMDIB). So what sealed the deal? An amazing Moustache.
Mr. Carey, 55 years old, succeeds President and Chief Operating Officer Peter Chernin, who is leaving the company when his contract expires at the end of June. Mr. Carey will assume the same titles, effective July 1. News Corp. said Mr. Carey is expected to join the company's board as deputy chairman.
Mr. Carey's return continues the News Corp. executive shuffle sparked by the February disclosure of Mr. Chernin's departure. Mr. Chernin, a well-regarded executive, oversees News Corp.'s television and film production and serves as Mr. Murdoch's point man for Wall Street.
Mr. Carey's departure comes at an important juncture at DirecTV. Liberty Media Corp., the conglomerate controlled by cable mogul John Malone, last year acquired effective control of the satellite broadcaster. Liberty recently disclosed plans to put its DirecTV stake and other assets into a separate public company.
The most important news of all? The Masters are looking forward to watching Chase Carey's moustache evolve, here's a recap:
The Early Days
What we have to look forward to -- The Golden Years
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- U.S. Equity Valuations: To Be Dismissed? | Financial Sense
- ECB Will Cut Rates To Minus 3%: JP Morgan | ZeroHedge
- As The Battle For Tikrit Begins, A Map Of Who Controls What | ZeroHedge
- How the West Got Hooked On “Humanitarian War” | ZeroHedge
- On February 7, 2009 Bernanke Admitted What It Was All About | ZeroHedge
- The Market is Simply NOT Expecting This to Happen in China | ZeroHedge
- What the Latest Payroll Data Really Means for the Labor Market | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Meet the richest person in 34 major countries around the world | Business Insider
- Facing storm, Clinton calls for release of her emails | Business Insider
- THE BEACONS FAQ: Everything you need to know about beacons and Apple's iBeacon... | Business Insider
- Lumber Liquidators shares are exploding higher — and one analyst is betting the company... | Business Insider
- The hottest delivery startup out of San Francisco is growing like crazy | Business Insider
- Greeks bearing grudges rip up Brussels diplomatic... | Business Insider
- BofA Merrill Lynch dealmaker Harry McMahon is resigning after 32 years | Business Insider