U.S. Stocks at Record Highs: Time to Sell?
The S&P 500 finally crossed and stayed above the 2,000 mark to close the week. It's inevitable that various financial publications are out with the classic headline "time to sell", blah, blah, blah. So what to do?
If you have made some great gains this year, by all means cash out. After all, smoke if you got em. However most of us have not made fantastic gains in 2014. The S&P 500 is only up 8% YTD it's a great run but most of it has been done starting in Q2. If you sell out now you risk not cashing in on more gains should the bulls keep charging. On the flipside all the bearish predictions of a 10% correction could come ASAP and wipe out our portfolio. Damned if you do... damned if you don't scenario.
PUT DOWN YOUR TOYS
How about this option -- Reduce your individual stock holdings and put that money into a bundled S&P 500 ETF such as the ProShares Ultra S&P500 (ETF) (NYSEARCA:SSO). Bet on the average not individual names. Volume (actual number or stocks being traded) has not been crazy that's why its tough to believe the bullish run will keep going. Just take a look at the TLT, iShares 20+ Year Treasury Bond (TLT) it's up an incredible 17% this year. Volatility has also cooled and is close to touching the 2014 low (this can be traded using the crazy VXX). The Dow Jones is only up 3% in 2014, that's it. The S&P 500 is up 8% which is awesome but it's been a bumpy ride getting to this point. The Media is just running the story because we finally have a record high in the S&P 500.
Bottom line: Just a few charts to help bring us all back to reality. A pause if anything is ready to hit the major indexes (S&P 500, Dow Jones, NASDAQ). Take a five minute break as Dark Helmet suggests. Take out some insurance for a possible pullback and prepare for at most another 3 to 4% rally in the S&P 500 until Dec (however expect stocks to trade sideways). That's best case scenario.
All charts below:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- New Home Sales Miss As Median Price Drops To Lowest In 13 Months | ZeroHedge
- Russia Says Turkey's Attack On Jet Was "Planned Provocation" As Ankara Moves Tanks Near Syrian Border | ZeroHedge
- Ackman Loses Over $100 Million In Early Trading As More Valeant Questions Emerge | ZeroHedge
- Oil Bounce Extends After US Oil Rig Count Continues To Plunge | ZeroHedge
- "There Are No More Dollars In The Central Bank": Argentina's New President Confronts Liquidity Crisis | ZeroHedge
- Oil Jobs Lost: 250,000 And Counting, Texas Likely To See Massive Layoffs Soon | ZeroHedge
- US Services Economy Surges To 7-Month Highs (As Manufacturing Hits 2 Year Low) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Obama set to pardon "Honest" and "Abe"... | Business Insider
- Bears D holds up late; Packers seek answers in passing... | Business Insider
- Heat grows on US for independent probe into MSF... | Business Insider
- Turkey releases recording of warnings to Russian plane | Business Insider
- Android is the world's largest mobile platform — but it has to... | Business Insider
- Adolescent deaths from AIDS tripled since 2000: UNICEF | Business Insider
- John Deere warns that 2016 will be worse than this year for the farming business (DE)... | Business Insider