U.S. Stocks at Record Highs: Time to Sell?
The S&P 500 finally crossed and stayed above the 2,000 mark to close the week. It's inevitable that various financial publications are out with the classic headline "time to sell", blah, blah, blah. So what to do?
If you have made some great gains this year, by all means cash out. After all, smoke if you got em. However most of us have not made fantastic gains in 2014. The S&P 500 is only up 8% YTD it's a great run but most of it has been done starting in Q2. If you sell out now you risk not cashing in on more gains should the bulls keep charging. On the flipside all the bearish predictions of a 10% correction could come ASAP and wipe out our portfolio. Damned if you do... damned if you don't scenario.
PUT DOWN YOUR TOYS
How about this option -- Reduce your individual stock holdings and put that money into a bundled S&P 500 ETF such as the ProShares Ultra S&P500 (ETF) (NYSEARCA:SSO). Bet on the average not individual names. Volume (actual number or stocks being traded) has not been crazy that's why its tough to believe the bullish run will keep going. Just take a look at the TLT, iShares 20+ Year Treasury Bond (TLT) it's up an incredible 17% this year. Volatility has also cooled and is close to touching the 2014 low (this can be traded using the crazy VXX). The Dow Jones is only up 3% in 2014, that's it. The S&P 500 is up 8% which is awesome but it's been a bumpy ride getting to this point. The Media is just running the story because we finally have a record high in the S&P 500.
Bottom line: Just a few charts to help bring us all back to reality. A pause if anything is ready to hit the major indexes (S&P 500, Dow Jones, NASDAQ). Take a five minute break as Dark Helmet suggests. Take out some insurance for a possible pullback and prepare for at most another 3 to 4% rally in the S&P 500 until Dec (however expect stocks to trade sideways). That's best case scenario.
All charts below:
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- 19 Surprising Facts About The Messed Up State Of The US Economy | ZeroHedge
- New Tesla Model S May Have Us Rethink Electric Cars | Financial Sense
- And Here is Opportunity | iBankCoin.com
- Chain Store Sales Growth Worst Since 2010 (Or Why "The Fed Turned The Market Around") | ZeroHedge
- Dummies Guide To President Obama's Early Warning System | ZeroHedge
- Is It All About Ebola After All? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Canadian Lawmakers Tweeting From Parliament: 'Mom I'm Okay I... | Business Insider
- Lay's Is Going To Start Selling Wasabi Ginger Chips — Here's What They Taste... | Business Insider
- US cautiously optimistic after no new Ebola in 5 days | Business Insider
- These Are The Four Most Likely Outcomes To The War In Syria | Business Insider
- India's forgotten widows defy taboos to celebrate... | Business Insider
- Alibaba stock sale lifts Yahoo profit | Business Insider
- London’s Rich People Are Becoming Completely Unhinged About Their Mansions... | Business Insider