Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Spot The Odd Continent Out: Total Bank Assets As % Of GDP | ZeroHedge
- Is Peak Oil to Blame for Riots in Syria? | Financial Sense
- Is EVERY Market Rigged? | ZeroHedge
- Theory of Interest and Prices in Paper Currency Part II (Mechanics) | Financial Sense
- FiNaNCiaL TeRRoRiSM AND PoLiTiCaL SeX MaP... | ZeroHedge
- Daily Market Recap | Financial Sense
- Putin’s Power Play - How It Will Change the Uranium Sector | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Koch Brothers Have Buried An Area The Size Of A City Block... | Business Insider
- ABC Reporter 'Regrets' Incorrect Reporting In His Bombshell... | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- 15 Enterprise Tech Rock Stars You've Never Heard Of But Should Know | Business Insider
- Astronaut Chris Hadfield Did Some Pretty Weird Stuff To Get Attention In Space | Business Insider
- The Story Of A Boy Whose Tempter Tantrum Led To A Venture-Backed Food Startup | Business Insider
- Maximum Security Prison Guard Shares The Most Disturbing Parts Of His Job | Business Insider