Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Saudi Arabia Still Calling the Shots | Financial Sense
- Oil Prices Continue to Define Geopolitics | Financial Sense
- The Wrong Idea About Inflation | Financial Sense
- Big Four Economic Indicators Near Stall Speed | Financial Sense
- Maxed Out? Benefits of Further Easing Questioned in Japan as Economic Costs Increase | Financial Sense
- Sir John Templeton Life Story | iBankCoin.com
- "We Have Everything Under Control" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Why the Oil Glut Is a Big Win for Consumers, Industrial Stocks Like Goodyear, Dow | TheStreet.com
- The Rams Fooled Everyone With A Genius Trick Punt Return Touchdown | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- This Amazing Brooklyn Startup Office Looks Like A Jungle Gym | Business Insider
- Investors eye Reebok buy from Adidas for 1.7 bn euros | Business Insider
- Eight-goal Southampton thrash Sunderland, Chelsea press... | Business Insider