Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Don’t Expect an Oil Price Rebound This Side of 2017 | Financial Sense
- Have You Figured it Out Yet? | iBankCoin.com
- DOJ Launches Criminal Investigation Into Deutsche Bank Russian Trades | ZeroHedge
- Fed's Lockhart Sends Stocks Reeling; Dollar, Bond Yields Soaring | ZeroHedge
- This Is Your "New Economy": These 10 Startups Are Valued At $156 Billion On $4 Billion In Revenue | ZeroHedge
- One Furious Greek Sums It All Up: "My Country & Its People Are Falling Apart" | ZeroHedge
- Another One Bites The Coal Dust - Alpha Natural Files For Bankruptcy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Western sanctions are hitting Russia harder than people realized | Business Insider
- NOW HIRING: Business Insider is looking for a retail intern | Business Insider
- Scott Walker has tens of thousands of dollars... | Business Insider
- Uneven Man United look for winning balance | Business Insider
- This map shows Neiman Marcus stores and the number of super-rich people who live nearby | Business Insider
- Parents are complaining that Jessica Alba's Honest Company... | Business Insider