Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bubblenomics And The Future Of Real Estate | ZeroHedge
- IMF Cuts US GDP From 2.0% To 1.7% As US Retail Sales Forecast Slashed From 4.1% To 3.6%: Winter Blamed | ZeroHedge
- Foster’s: Australian for Breakout | iBankCoin.com
- US Manufacturing PMI Drops, Biggest Miss On Record | ZeroHedge
- Initial Jobless Claims Plunge to Jan 2006 Lows, Government Warns Of "Seasonal Volatility" | ZeroHedge
- Flattening Out | iBankCoin.com
- DOE, Intel Work to Keep ‘Moore’s Law’ From Expiring | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How Does GPS Work? | Business Insider
- REVIEW: Amazon's New Fire Phone Has Some Fun Features, But You're Going To Miss All... | Business Insider
- 9 Insider Tips On Acing A Harvard Business School Interview | Business Insider
- The FAA Just Extended Ban On American Air Carriers For Israel's Major International Airport... | Business Insider
- Why Apple Stock Is Gaining Today | TheStreet.com
- This Eye-Popping Chart Of Ex-US Companies Shows Why People Are Freaking Out About... | Business Insider
- These Maps Will Show You When The Hottest Day Of The Year Hits Your Town | Business Insider