Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Un-Pax Americana: Where One Can Find US Special Ops Around The Globe | ZeroHedge
- Let’s Play Catch the Falling Knife Game | iBankCoin.com
- Second Quarter Outlook | Financial Sense
- Q2 GDP 'Excuse' Emerges: Up To 16,000 West Coast Port Truckers Go On Strike | ZeroHedge
- A Global Deleveraging Crisis Is at Our Doorstep | ZeroHedge
- Rising Police Aggression A Telling Indicator Of Our Societal Decline | ZeroHedge
- Japan Retail Sales Plunge Most Ever On Base Effect, Widespread Economic Weakness | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Nepal quake toll rises to 4,310: official | Business Insider
- BP results just smashed expectations | Business Insider
- Coach is getting crushed after announcing a sales miss and store closures (COH) | Business Insider
- Gold and silver are surging (GLD, SLV) | Business Insider
- Photos show Baltimore devolving into chaos as riots... | Business Insider
- Facebook quietly dumped Skype | Business Insider
- Tim Cook dropped a major clue about Apple’s next big product (AAPL) | Business Insider