Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Can a National Quasi-Religion (Pro Sports) Go Broke? | Financial Sense
- What Is the Bond Market Telling Us? | Financial Sense
- Key Events In The Coming Week | ZeroHedge
- The Market Doesn’t Know How Stupid You Are | iBankCoin.com
- Japanese Household Spending Slumps 5.9%; Cries for More Monetary Stimulus | Financial Sense
- Spain Sells First-Ever 50 Year Bonds At 4% Coupon | ZeroHedge
- Q2 GDP Revised Upward | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Frustrating Boston Scientific Is Not What the Investor Ordered | TheStreet.com
- Why Bank of America, Citi, JPMorgan, Wells Fargo Still Face Hurdles | TheStreet.com
- Apple Has Reportedly Partnered With American Express, Visa, And Mastercard For... | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- 'Shark Tank' Investor Reveals Mark Cuban's Strategy On The Show And The... | Business Insider
- Top 10 News for 8/25... | StreetInsider.com
- Here’s What It's Really Like To Work With Mark Zuckerberg At... | Business Insider