Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Argentina Defaults | ZeroHedge
- Janet Yellen Confronts Bernanke About Emerging from His Shadow | iBankCoin.com
- Geopolitics and Markets | Financial Sense
- LiaR IN The HoLe! | ZeroHedge
- Boots On The Ground In Ukraine: "I Needed To See This For Myself" | ZeroHedge
- ADP Tumbles From June Exuberance, Misses 3rd Of Last 4 Months | ZeroHedge
- Obama Infuriates Republicans With Latest Plan To Deport Fewer Illegal Immigrants | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 19 Most Outrageous Things Johnny Manziel Has Ever Done | Business Insider
- American Families Haven't Made Much Of A Comeback Since The Great Recession | Business Insider
- Twitter Rating Cut to 'Sell' at Pivotal Research | TheStreet.com
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- Retailer Removes Mannequin With Visible Ribcage After Customers Complain | Business Insider
- Ravens PR Person Writes An Open Letter About How Great Of A Guy Ray Rice Is | Business Insider
- 7 Reasons Why Life Is Better In Switzerland Than America | Business Insider