Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Kind of a Weird Day | iBankCoin.com
- Late Night Stock Market Setups for Tuesday | iBankCoin.com
- Lots to Digest This Morning | iBankCoin.com
- Treasury "Out" Of GM For $10.5 Billion Loss (Claims 768% ROI) | ZeroHedge
- So, This is How Lululemon Just Announced the Firm’s New CEO | iBankCoin.com
- Here’s to Capitulation! | iBankCoin.com
- Weekly Look | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- GM To Name First Ever Female CEO — Mary Barra (GM) | Business Insider
- A Democratic Congressman Lost $18 Million In An Investment Fraud Scheme | Business Insider
- The Global Economy In Two Lines | Business Insider
- Marissa Mayer's Biggest Game Changer Yet | TheStreet.com
- China Expresses Regret Over Extended South Korean Air Defense Zone | Business Insider
- It's Going To Be A Huge Week For Apple | Business Insider
- This Brilliant Stop Motion Video Only Uses Photos Taken With Google Glass | Business Insider