Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Squeeze Continues... "Most Shorted" Stocks Are Screaming Higher | ZeroHedge
- John Hussman On The Federal Reserve's Two Legged Stool | ZeroHedge
- This Is The 7500 Square Foot Soho Loft That Just Sold For $27 Million | ZeroHedge
- Eyeing Pipeline, Russia Forgives North Korean Debt | ZeroHedge
- Turning Points | Financial Sense
- Who is Playing for a House of Cards? | iBankCoin.com
- Another Constructive Day | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A Horribly Embarrassing Image for Tim Cook and Apple | TheStreet.com
- Here's A Quick Guide To What Traders Are Chatting About Right Now | Business Insider
- This Is What It's Like To Work For Billionaire Microsoft Co-Founder Paul Allen... | Business Insider
- The 9 Silliest Photos Of President Obama At Today's Easter Egg Roll | Business Insider
- Woman Who Accused GitHub Founder Says She Was Forced Out Because She... | Business Insider
- I'm No Chef, But Here's How I Made The Perfect Steak At Home | Business Insider
- 5 Rocket Stocks Worth Buying This Week | TheStreet.com