Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- French Economy Minister To Resign On Tuesday | ZeroHedge
- The Search for Yield and Emerging Markets | Financial Sense
- What the New SEC Money Market Fund Regulations Mean for the Financial System | Financial Sense
- "Good News Is Bad News" Again - Confidence Surge Sparks Stock, Oil Purge | ZeroHedge
- Metabolizing Japan, the World's Oldest Nation | Financial Sense
- Massive Debt Bubble in Ireland and Globally Sees Wealthy Diversify Into Gold | ZeroHedge
- ADP Continues Weakening Trend As Goods-Producing Jobs Shrank... Again | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This accessory has helped stem the decline of the tablet... | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- Fasten your seat belts — it's about to get wild in the... | Business Insider
- Philippine president called 'The Punisher' uses puppet show to... | Business Insider
- Trump speaks at a 7th-grade level — here's how other politicians compare... | Business Insider
- Florida police release chilling 911... | Business Insider
- The new tallest building in Thailand looks like a pixelated image in mid-download | Business Insider