Covered Call Picks (CLSN,ALXA,KERX,OCZ,PPHM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||7.82||8||1.6||20.50%||January 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.49||5.5||1||18.20%||January 2013|
|KERX||Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc||2.77||3||0.5||16.20%||January 2013|
|OCZ||OCZ Technology Group Inc||1.9||2||0.3||13.20%||January 2013|
|PPHM||Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc||1.23||1.5||0.2||12.20%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.82. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.49. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $9.9.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $2.77. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $5.19.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.9. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Peregrine Pharmaceuticals Inc (PPHM) is currently trading at $1.23. Its 52 week range is between $0.39 and $5.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Hedge Fund CIO Explains Why Most Missed The Oil Rally | ZeroHedge
- Massive Jump in New Home Sales, 17-Sigma Event | Financial Sense
- With The Lowest Volume Since Q1 2014, The Global M&A Boom May Be Over | ZeroHedge
- Northwest Territorial Mint Scandal: Investors Had Fair Warning On This Blowup As Well | ZeroHedge
- South Africa's Standard Bank Victim Of "Perfectly Coordinated Attack" In Japanese ATM Scam | ZeroHedge
- Why I’m Not Scared Of Wall St Anymore… | Altucher Confidential
- Frontrunning: May 24 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- 13 public-speaking mistakes you should avoid at all costs | Business Insider
- Modern management practices... | Business Insider
- It hasn't been this bad for US manufacturing since the financial crisis (USD... | Business Insider
- U.K. moves closer to cashless payments | Business Insider
- China is micromanaging its economy with its 5-year-plan, US... | Business Insider
- What the woman who created the real 'Money Monster' thinks about George... | Business Insider