Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Truth About Gold As an Investment (What Bubblevision "Experts" Conveniently Overlook) | ZeroHedge
- "The Market Knows It's Over" Jim Rogers Warns "We're All Going To Suffer" | ZeroHedge
- Falling Oil Prices Not The Reason For America's Economic Woes | ZeroHedge
- Momo Bad News: JPM's Quant Guru Kolanovic Confirms Tech Bubble Has Burst... Again | ZeroHedge
- Deutsche Bank Selling Resumes After CEO Assures Employees Bank Is "Absolutely Rock Solid" | ZeroHedge
- Sweden Arrests 14 For Plotting To Attack Migrant House With Axes, Iron Pipes | ZeroHedge
- Nine Dead, Hundreds Injured As German Trains Collide Head On | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This tropical hotel lets you stay in luxurious beach bungalows feet above the... | Business Insider
- FBI accuses lawyers of manipulating evidence for convicted... | Business Insider
- Twitter just hit a new all-time low (TWTR) | Business Insider
- EMC CEO promises that Michael Dell will not raid VMware's cash (VMW) | Business Insider
- BERNIE SANDERS DEFEATS HILLARY CLINTON IN NEW HAMPSHIRE | Business Insider
- This GIF shows how big the world's 10 largest economies will be in... | Business Insider
- What to do on Valentine's Day in New York City | Business Insider