Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Three Perspectives on Falling Oil Prices | Financial Sense
- "The Economic Outlook Keeps Getting Better And Better" Says Fed President Who Last Week Unveiled QE4 | ZeroHedge
- New Tesla Model S May Have Us Rethink Electric Cars | Financial Sense
- ECB Unleashes (Covered) Bond Buying Program, Sovereigns Sell Off | ZeroHedge
- Guess Who Wasn't Shorting Treasurys | ZeroHedge
- Plunging Oil Prices a Game-Changer for Major Pipeline Projects | Financial Sense
- Staring Into the Big Blue Abyss | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 13 Things Successful People Do In The Last 10 Minutes Of The... | Business Insider
- Microsoft Might Launch A Smartwatch In A Few Weeks (MSFT) | Business Insider
- Bill Simmons Returns, Doesn't Call Out ESPN, Says He Was Bored So He Came Up With A New Way... | Business Insider
- Nearly Eight Years Into The Drug War, These Are Mexico's 7 Most Notorious... | Business Insider
- CHARTS: Guys Like Women In Their Early 20s Regardless Of How... | Business Insider
- Here's The 'But' The Bulls Are Hanging On To | Business Insider
- For many journalists Ebola's invisible threat... | Business Insider