Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bridgewater Calculates How Much Time Central Banks Have Left | ZeroHedge
- Consumer Confidence Highest Since Recession | Financial Sense
- The Problem With Helicopter Money | Financial Sense
- Janet Yellen On The Fed Buying Stocks: "Maybe In The Future, Down The Line..." | ZeroHedge
- How The 'Deplorables' Can Save America | ZeroHedge
- Bonds Are a Potential Powder Keg in the “New Normal” | Financial Sense
- "Ominous Shades Of 1987" - HSBC Shows Why 17,992 Is The World's Most Important Number | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Renault just revealed a stunning electric supercar concept — here's everything we know about it | Business Insider
- 9 new photos from HBO's newest show 'Westworld' tease a mysterious thriller | Business Insider
- The 'Mrs. Doubtfire' house is on sale for $... | Business Insider
- The 27 colleges where engineering students... | Business Insider
- The $6 trillion opportunity in the IoT | Business Insider
- J.J. Abrams promises movies for 'Portal' and 'Half... | Business Insider
- Congress just passed the first rape-survivors' bill of rights | Business Insider