Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Brexit: What to Expect After the EU-UK Membership Vote | Financial Sense
- After Three Years, This Remains The Best Trading Strategy | ZeroHedge
- No June Swoon, Bye Bye in July? | Financial Sense
- Don't Count Out Donald Trump Yet | ZeroHedge
- Brexit Leaves Markets in Upheaval | Financial Sense
- Why Barclays Thinks The V-Shaped Recovery Is Dead: "Massive Redemptions Are Coming" | ZeroHedge
- Bernie Sanders: The World Is Rejecting Globalization | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 5 fictional military leaders we’d actually follow into combat | Business Insider
- The perfect Android phone is coming | Business Insider
- How to train yourself to be mentally tough | Business Insider
- This Mr. Potato Head isn't the most perfect spud — and that'... | Business Insider
- In an 'unprecedented step,' Airbnb is suing San Francisco because... | Business Insider
- Kroger joins Walmart, Home Depot in suing Visa (KR, V, MA, WMT, HD) | Business Insider
- 14 ways to waste your money on a summer trip | Business Insider