Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US Debt of $20 Trillion Visualized In Stacks Of Physical Cash | ZeroHedge
- Surge in Global Economic Surprises, Business Confidence Continues | Financial Sense
- What Is CrowdStrike? Firm Hired By DNC Has Ties To Hillary Clinton, A Ukrainian Billionaire, And Google | ZeroHedge
- The Sad State Of America's Infrastructure In One Infographic | ZeroHedge
- Turkish Hackers Threaten To Wipe Millions Of iPhones; Demand Ransom From Apple | ZeroHedge
- A Big Tailwind for the Stock Market Has Now Dissipated | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: March 24 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here are the 11 fastest-growing apps in the US | Business Insider
- Amy Schumer has dropped out of the Barbie movie | Business Insider
- 'It's full steam ahead': The Trump family... | Business Insider
- 12 words that are more familiar to women than men | Business Insider
- 15 terrible conversation starters you should avoid in a job... | Business Insider
- Marine Le Pen says she may lift Russia sanctions if... | Business Insider
- I tested out the newest version of Kim Kardashian's... | Business Insider