Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Greece €400 Million Short For Wage And Pension Payments, Rushes To Pass Troika-Friendly Laws | ZeroHedge
- A Global Deleveraging Crisis Is at Our Doorstep | ZeroHedge
- Gold, Silver, Copper, & Crude Are Soaring On Heavy Volume | ZeroHedge
- US Data and Fed to Drive the Dollar in the Week Ahead | ZeroHedge
- Being There | Financial Sense
- Is Nigel Farage The UK Election's "Kingmaker"? | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap Apr 27, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Half of world's rural populations cannot access... | Business Insider
- Jon Stewart is shocked Oklahoma finally accepted scientific evidence that... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- The creator of Edward Snowden documentary... | Business Insider
- Tim Duncan has played in an incredible number of games | Business Insider
- Greek PM sees EU-IMF loan deal by early May | Business Insider
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (AAPL, GOOG) | Business Insider