Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold, Silver, & Weed | iBankCoin.com
- The Mexican Peso & Brazilian Real Are Collapsing | ZeroHedge
- The US Economy In Two Pictures | ZeroHedge
- This Is Why The ECB's QE Will Work, According To The ECB | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap Jan 29, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- CME Hikes Silver Margins By 11% | ZeroHedge
- While We Wait for Yet Another FOMC Statement... | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This software could be better at hiring than any human | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Stop Using Exclamation Points At Work! | Business Insider
- This chart shows all of the versions of Russia's fifth-generation... | Business Insider
- The new Candy Crush? Chinese language apps make... | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek