Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Headwinds for the U.S. and U.K. Economies | Financial Sense
- Broken Stocks, Battered Bullion, & Bruised Crude | ZeroHedge
- You Should Be on Drugs | iBankCoin.com
- Shift in Quality Spectrum Argues We’ve Entered Later Innings of Bull Market | Financial Sense
- Investors Intelligence: Initiation of Strong New Uptrend | Financial Sense
- DEATH TO VLADIMIR PUTIN | iBankCoin.com
- Oil Breaks Below $80 | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- One Stock Is Responsible For 109 Points Of The Dow Rally | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Asia shares rally after US growth figures | Business Insider
- 10 Things In Advertising You Need To Know Today | Business Insider
- This App Predicts When You're Going To Die | Business Insider
- FORGET GOLD: Here Are 11 Odd Items People Use To Store Their Wealth | Business Insider
- A Detailed Look At How Americans Travel Within The US | Business Insider