Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- U.S. Dominates Globe in Biofuel Production | Financial Sense
- Dollar Pares Initial Gains, French Government Implodes | Financial Sense
- Does France Need A 21st Century Revolution? | ZeroHedge
- Key Events In The Coming Week | ZeroHedge
- Preemptive Move on Rates Still Unlikely | Financial Sense
- More Sanctions: Europe Will Ban Purchase Of Russian Bonds; However Russian Gas Exports Remain Untouched | ZeroHedge
- Were European Bonds Mispriced in 2012 or are they Now? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Weekend Is Over In Asia And Stocks Are Mostly Down | Business Insider
- Pakistan military leaders to meet after deadly clashes | Business Insider
- Food Prices Have Begun Skyrocketing In Parts Of Russia | Business Insider
- Why Bank of America, Citi, JPMorgan, Wells Fargo Still Face Hurdles | TheStreet.com
- Kenyan commandos on frontline of poaching war | Business Insider
- Abercrombie & Fitch's Sales Decline Is Hammering the Stock | TheStreet.com
- Rick Perry's Account Deleted An Incendiary Tweet Mocking The DA At The... | Business Insider