Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Babson's Warning | ZeroHedge
- President Obama Explains Why He Is Sending 10x More Troops To Fight Ebola Than ISIS - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Is Crimea a Short-Term Gain for Putin, but Long-Term Loss for Russia? | Financial Sense
- Strong Dollar Undermines Precious Metals | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: September 17 | ZeroHedge
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- Let’s See if it Has Legs | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How Online Video Advertising Is Chipping Away at Television’s Supremacy | TheStreet.com
- If You Drive Less Than 9,480 Miles Per Year, It's Cheaper To Take An Uber... | Business Insider
- Gerrard rescues Liverpool as Arsenal suffer | Business Insider
- This Chart Tells You Why VCs Are Screaming Over Startups Burning Cash | Business Insider
- Virginity worth $5,000, Chinese court rules | Business Insider
- REPORT: Apple's Next Major Product Unveiling Is Coming Next Month (AAPL) | Business Insider
- DONALD TRUMP: I 'May' Save Atlantic City After All | Business Insider