Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Woodstock Of Crony Capitalism | ZeroHedge
- Lessons from Japan: Decades of Decay, Endless Monetary Expansion | Financial Sense
- Obama Admits Couldn't "Convince Americans Of Recovery", Bashes 'The Big Short' | ZeroHedge
- It's The Debt Stupid: Scotiabank Warns "At Some Point 'The Future' Becomes 'Today'" | ZeroHedge
- The Full Story Behind Bloomberg's Attempt To "Unmask" Zero Hedge | ZeroHedge
- Candidates Confirm: No Crash This Year | Financial Sense
- Exit the Dragon – China’s Debt Is Everyone’s Problem | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Mobile gaming is about to become the undisputed king of the jungle | Business Insider
- 'You didn't know if he was in his pajamas': Fox News anchor '... | Business Insider
- ISIS is now running car dealerships and fish... | Business Insider
- The Canadian government slighted the indigenous community... | Business Insider
- Joe Biden just made a surprise visit to Iraq to try to help settle its political crisis | Business Insider
- Microsoft just locked people out of using Google with a key... | Business Insider
- 'There is a conflict': A power struggle may be... | Business Insider