Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trump Slams "Disrespectful" North Korea After Unsuccessful Missile-Test, Warns Situation Is "Bad" | ZeroHedge
- Biggest Inflows Into European Stocks Since 2015, Just As The Economic Pullback Begins | ZeroHedge
- Interview With Louis-Vincent Gave: US Likely to Underperform for Years | Financial Sense
- UC Davis Rolls Out "Morning After Pill" Vending Machines - "It Encourages Responsibility" | ZeroHedge
- High-Yield Bond A-D Line | Financial Sense
- Rising Rates and Shrinking Balance Sheets Pose Risks Ahead | Financial Sense
- Le Pen Names Nationalist As Prime Minister In Last Minute Bid To Boost Votes | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Fyre Festival expectations vs. reality — here's what attendees... | Business Insider
- Here's how to make sure you're... | Business Insider
- My 'uniform' lets me travel for weeks with just a carry-on — here's... | Business Insider
- 18 of the most powerful Harvard graduates alive | Business Insider
- OBAMA: Here's what I miss most about the White House | Business Insider
- Fistfights and flying chairs: Macedonia parliament violence over new... | Business Insider
- Secretary of State Tillerson: The UN must act... | Business Insider