Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Greeks Vote In "Holy Moment" - Live Updates | ZeroHedge
- Recession vs. Wealth Inequality | Financial Sense
- Events Continue to Conspire Against The Fed | Financial Sense
- More Sellside Reactions To The Greek Referendum | ZeroHedge
- Greferendum Results In Landslide "No" Victory | ZeroHedge
- Cash On A Greek Bank Account? *Poof* It’s Gone! | ZeroHedge
- A Look at the Condition of Prices that will Absorb the Greek Referendum Results | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This chart shows how the cost of cable has exploded over time (TWC, CMCSA, VZ, DTV) | Business Insider
- ISIS video purports to show mass execution of Syrian soldiers in historic... | Business Insider
- French pride fizzes as UNESCO lists Champagne... | Business Insider
- Tongan king crowned in traditional ceremony | Business Insider
- The coolest science guys on YouTube predict the next big discoveries —... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Woods goes bogey free for first time since 2013 | Business Insider