Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Final Four is Set | iBankCoin.com
- The Monetary Approach Reigns Supreme | Financial Sense
- Fed's Bullard: Raise Rates or Face ‘Devastating’ Bubbles | Financial Sense
- Why We Feel So Poor (In Two Charts) | ZeroHedge
- The Bubble Machine Is Complete: Soaring Stocks Push Investors Into Bonds Whose Issuers Buy More Stocks | ZeroHedge
- Australia To Start Taxing Bank Deposits | ZeroHedge
- Saudi Arabia and Iran Compete in Yemen | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Prince Bishop wins Dubai World Cup | Business Insider
- Microsoft just dropped two trailers for 'Halo 5' and... | Business Insider
- British Prime Minister David Cameron is obsessed with a bizarre 1970s... | Business Insider
- Air Canada plane crash lands at Halifax airport, 23... | Business Insider
- Yemen's Hadi will not return to Aden 'for now': FM | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- 'The Jinx' is eerily similar to the 1998 documentary ‘The Thin Blue... | Business Insider