Covered Call Picks (ONTY,AMRN,RIMM,CTIC,ZNGA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ONTY||Oncothyreon Inc||4.13||5||1.1||25.40%||January 2013|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||2.1||17.20%||January 2013|
|RIMM||Research In Motion Ltd||11.9||12||1.2||9.80%||January 2013|
|CTIC||Cell Therapeutics Inc||1.36||1.5||0.1||9.60%||January 2013|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.49||2.5||0.2||9.60%||January 2013|
Oncothyreon Inc (ONTY) is currently trading at $4.13. Its 52 week range is between $3.35 and $9.23.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Research In Motion Ltd (RIMM) is currently trading at $11.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $17.96.
Cell Therapeutics Inc (CTIC) is currently trading at $1.36. Its 52 week range is between $1.14 and $8.25.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.48. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- When Buybacks Fail... | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: October 6 | ZeroHedge
- One True Measure Of Stagnation: Not In The Labor Force | ZeroHedge
- Solid 3 Year Auction Prices At Lowest Yield Since April | ZeroHedge
- Russia Escalates Syria Proxy War: Threatens Full Naval Blockade Of Syria | ZeroHedge
- NIRP, Its Likelihood and Effect on Commodities | Financial Sense
- Mapping Yellen and the Global Landscape | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Latest: Syria launches ground push amid Russian... | Business Insider
- 7 award-winning scientific studies that are too weird to believe | Business Insider
- Tom Hanks finds student's ID card, sends tweet to find... | Business Insider
- Carter: US not cooperating with Russia against Islamic... | Business Insider
- Tesco has scrapped the sale of its Dunnhumby data and loyalty unit — without Tesco it had... | Business Insider
- One GIF says everything about how fast the new Microsoft laptop is | Business Insider
- Some Syrians chart pre-approved path to European asylum | Business Insider