Covered Call Picks (CLSN,MBI,GMCR,MCP,AGO)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.58. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.86.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $8.56. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.5.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $28.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.47. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Assured Guaranty Ltd (AGO) is currently trading at $13.9. Its 52 week range is between $9.22 and $19.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Making Sense of the Latest Unemployment Data | Financial Sense
- 3 Things: Oil Trouble | ZeroHedge
- Virtu Revenue In Peril: Reuters, BATS Launch Crackdown On Algo FX Manipulation | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Sachs Predicting $45 Oil by October | Financial Sense
- How Healthcare Is Dooming the U.S. Economy (Three Charts) | Financial Sense
- "Welcome To The Contraction": Q1 GDP Drops By 0.7%, Corporate Profits Crash | ZeroHedge
- "The Greek Endgame Is Here": Probability Of IMF Default Now 70%, Says Deutsche Bank | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (GOOG, AAPL, AMZN... | Business Insider
- A 'substantial issue' could give the Boston Bomber his... | Business Insider
- The Cavaliers have been just as dominant as the Warriors since... | Business Insider
- Analyst: Oracle 'has been behaving irrationally' towards Workday (ORCL,... | Business Insider
- Take a tour of the $367 million jet that will soon be called Air Force One | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Malaysia believes 139 bodies in migrant graves: minister | Business Insider