Covered Call Picks (CLSN,MBI,GMCR,MCP,AGO)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.58. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.86.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $8.56. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.5.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $28.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.47. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Assured Guaranty Ltd (AGO) is currently trading at $13.9. Its 52 week range is between $9.22 and $19.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "They'll Return To Their Countries In A Wooden Coffin": Iran, Syria Warn Saudis, Turks Against Ground Troops | ZeroHedge
- "A Key Technical Indicator Just Rang The Bell On The Cyclical Bull Market" | ZeroHedge
- Paths of Glory | ZeroHedge
- An Exasperated John Kerry Throws In Towel On Syria: "What Do You Want Me To Do, Go To War With The Russians?!" | ZeroHedge
- New ETFs Directory with Category Lists and Simple Search | FundMyMutualFund
- North Dakota's Economy Has Been "Completely Devastated" By Oil's Collapse | ZeroHedge
- Gold to Beat Stocks? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The coolest 17 people on the internet right now,... | Business Insider
- Oil rig count plunges for 7th straight week (USO, WTI, OIL, VDE) | Business Insider
- 24 signs you have a terrible boss | Business Insider
- GitHub is undergoing a full-blown overhaul as execs and employees depart — and we have the... | Business Insider
- A staple wardrobe item for American women is getting a huge... | Business Insider
- Watch the 18-year-old tennis player once sponsored by Bill Ackman hit a killer trick shot | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek