Covered Call Picks (CLSN,MBI,GMCR,MCP,AGO)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.58. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.86.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $8.56. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.5.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $28.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.47. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Assured Guaranty Ltd (AGO) is currently trading at $13.9. Its 52 week range is between $9.22 and $19.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Next Shoe Just Dropped: Court Denies Attorney-Client Privilege | ZeroHedge
- Consumer Confidence Collapses In Japan | ZeroHedge
- The Real 'Reset' Button | ZeroHedge
- We Again See Real Estate As Best Investment | Financial Sense
- US, And Global, Military Spending Summed Up In One Chart | ZeroHedge
- U.S. to Foreign Officials: Stop Buying U.S. Treasuries | Financial Sense
- De-Escalation Off: US Deploys Troops To Poland | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- There's A Horrific Law In Iran That Lets The Bereaved... | Business Insider
- White House Refuses To Comment On Petition To Deport Justin Bieber | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the... | StreetInsider.com
- PAYMENTS INSIDER: PayPal On NFC — Wal-Mart Remittances — Worldpay... | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- This Weird, Super-Efficient Ax Solves An Engineering Problem Most People Don't Even Know... | Business Insider