Covered Call Picks (CLSN,MBI,GMCR,MCP,AGO)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.58. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.86.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $8.56. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.5.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $28.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.47. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Assured Guaranty Ltd (AGO) is currently trading at $13.9. Its 52 week range is between $9.22 and $19.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US Real Estate: The Lay of the Land | Financial Sense
- The FDIC Reiterates and Corroborates My "F@ck the Fundamentals" Message fron the Fed | ZeroHedge
- Haidt-Speak - Coddling, Cry-Bullies, & Ending The Micro-aggression Culture | ZeroHedge
- The Future Of Cannabis | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: Why Is The US Hanging Turkey Out To Dry? | ZeroHedge
- Turkey Drops "Independence" From Central Bank Mandate As NATO's Favorite Autocrat Strikes Again | ZeroHedge
- Chief Of Russian Air Force Accuses Turkey Of Coordinated Ambush On Downed Jet | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (AAPL, FB) | Business Insider
- Obama eyes chance to make mark, at last, on climate change... | Business Insider
- 19 people ill in E. coli linked to Costco chicken salad | Business Insider
- British foreign secretary meets Tunisian leader after... | Business Insider
- This tiny chip could charge your iPhone much faster | Business Insider
- Patti LaBelle spent Thanksgiving with the guy whose viral video helped her sell $2... | Business Insider
- White House undergoes holiday lockdown after man jumps... | Business Insider