Covered Call Picks (CLSN,MBI,GMCR,MCP,AGO)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.58. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.86.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $8.56. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.5.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $28.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.47. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Assured Guaranty Ltd (AGO) is currently trading at $13.9. Its 52 week range is between $9.22 and $19.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- When You're Not Around: Setting Your Family Up for Success | Financial Sense
- No Do Overs | iBankCoin.com
- BEAR TRAP | iBankCoin.com
- Testosterone in the Financial Markets | ZeroHedge
- Here Come The Boots On The Ground: US Troops Heading To Eastern Europe | ZeroHedge
- Ex-Morgan Stanley Chief Economist Admits "Fed Is Distorting Markets" | ZeroHedge
- A Summary Of What Hedge Funds Are Buying And Selling | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know This Morning (NFLX, AAPL,... | Business Insider
- After-Hours... | StreetInsider.com
- 9 Tricks Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, And Other Top Execs Use To Run Meetings | Business Insider
- Putin Has Taken Control Of Russian Facebook | Business Insider
- How To Execute Perfectly One Of The Most Annoying Tasks When Cooking Fish | Business Insider
- SOCIAL INSIDER: Facebook Ad Performance... | Business Insider