Covered Call Picks (CLSN,MBI,GMCR,MCP,AGO)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.58. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.86.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $8.56. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.5.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $28.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.47. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Assured Guaranty Ltd (AGO) is currently trading at $13.9. Its 52 week range is between $9.22 and $19.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why Millennials Are Behind: They Earn 20% Less Than Boomers Did At The Same Age | ZeroHedge
- Beijing Responds: Tells "Relevant Parties" In The U.S. That "One China" Principle Is Non-Negotiable | ZeroHedge
- Oil Slides After Saudis Suggest Early End To OPEC Deal | ZeroHedge
- Debunking Loretta Lynch's One-Sided 'Chicago Cops Are Racist Villains' Statistics | ZeroHedge
- Trump's Delusion: Halting Eurasian Integration And Saving 'US World Order' | ZeroHedge
- A Trade War That Cannot Be Won | Financial Sense
- Trump Team Will Not Attend Davos: "Would Betray Populist-Fueled Movement" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- He 'ought to be careful': Trump chief of staff issues... | Business Insider
- GUNDLACH: Here's how we'll know the bond bull market is dead... | Business Insider
- Trump's plan for taxes may have some unintended consequences | Business Insider
- CIA director: Trump equating intelligence community... | Business Insider
- Trump may kick reporters out of the White House by moving press... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek