Covered Call Picks (CLSN,MBI,GMCR,MCP,AGO)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $7.58. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $7.86.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $8.56. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.5.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $28.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.47. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Assured Guaranty Ltd (AGO) is currently trading at $13.9. Its 52 week range is between $9.22 and $19.04.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fitch Downgrades Japan To A From A+ | ZeroHedge
- Caught On Tape: Dramatic Video & Images From The Mount Everest Avalanche | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Gets Cold Feet:"It Is Difficult To Predict How Negative The Market Reaction To Grexit Would Be" | ZeroHedge
- Bad News About Oil Prices | Financial Sense
- How The Fed Creates Zombies In One Simple Flow Chart | ZeroHedge
- Cybersecurity Companies in the "Military-Internet Complex" | Financial Sense
- Implications of the Secular Stagnation Debate | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Here's everything we know about Tesla's big... | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- Barca guarding against complacency in La Liga title push | Business Insider
- How corporations turned into political beasts | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- ASEAN warns Chinese actions 'may undermine... | Business Insider