Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dallas Mayor Files Lawsuit To Block Withdrawals From "Insolvent" Police Pension After "Run On The Bank" | ZeroHedge
- Our "Gaslight" Financial System | ZeroHedge
- Dollar Comes Back Bid, but Still Vulnerable to Corrective Pressures | Financial Sense
- The Aftermath of the US Election And Its Implications Moving Forward | Financial Sense
- UN Agrees To Stop Reporting Iraqi Casualties After Military Complains | ZeroHedge
- Core Durable Goods Orders Contract For 22nd Straight Month - Longest Non-Recessionary Streak In US History | ZeroHedge
- Technical Risk Management Rules (Video) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 21st Century Fox CEO James Murdoch pressed on whether Fox News is really... | Business Insider
- Elizabeth Warren is backing a hot investing... | Business Insider
- Legal marijuana is having an unexpected effect on the beer industry — and Anheuser... | Business Insider
- Germany's twisty new nuclear fusion machine just passed a critical test | Business Insider
- 12 innovative car keys taking driving to a whole new level | Business Insider
- Seth Meyers: Why Trump's foreign policy is already dangerous | Business Insider
- Uganda's first 'Lord's Resistance Army' warlord goes... | Business Insider