Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Where Candidates Fear To Tread - Pervasive Racketeering Is Destroying America | ZeroHedge
- Obama Authorizes "Defensive" Airstrikes Against Assad Regime In Syria | ZeroHedge
- US Shale: How Smoke And Mirrors Could Cost Investors Millions | ZeroHedge
- Billary Clinton And The Perfection Of Consumerist Narcissism | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Economy Crashes To 2-Year Low; China Stocks Plunge, Asian Stocks Test 2015 Lows | ZeroHedge
- Twin Trillion-Dollar Bubbles Prompt Dramatic Rise In Non-Mortgage Debt | ZeroHedge
- Is it Time to Load Up on Gold? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Drugs group Shire says bids $30 bn for rival Baxalta | Business Insider
- Europe's industry was a little stronger than expected in July | Business Insider
- Myanmar rescuers race to flood zones, 46 dead | Business Insider
- How Martin Luther King Jr. convinced a... | Business Insider
- Two killed in New Hampshire carnival tent collapse | Business Insider
- 9 things you should know before signing up for your first spin class | Business Insider
- Construction spending barely budged in June | Business Insider