Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- On February 7, 2009 Bernanke Admitted What It Was All About | ZeroHedge
- It’s Shocking Because It’s Normal | iBankCoin.com
- Dow's Worst Day Since January Despite Crude Buying Panic | ZeroHedge
- Hubris Hangover? Stocks, Bonds, & Bullion All Red | ZeroHedge
- Bottom in Oil and Energy Stocks Looks Suspicious | Financial Sense
- The Good Doctor Has Made Another Biotech Purchase | iBankCoin.com
- GDP Shocker: Atlanta Fed Calculates Q1 Growth Of Only 1.2% | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A new, slimmer MacBook Air with a better screen may be coming this... | Business Insider
- BofA Merrill Lynch dealmaker Harry McMahon is resigning after 32 years | Business Insider
- Lumber Liquidators cancels conference presentation, tells investors it... | Business Insider
- Kerry briefs wary Gulf ministers after Iran nuclear talks... | Business Insider
- Here's how to dress like the power couple from 'House of Cards' | Business Insider
- Google’s about to start putting ads in its app store — here’s what... | Business Insider
- APPLY NOW: Business Insider is hiring evening news reporters | Business Insider