Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- EU Parliament President Tells Greece:Time For Another Puppet Government | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Stocks Plummet Despite Government Threats To Shorts, Europe Lower, US Closed | ZeroHedge
- A Beginning but No End | Financial Sense
- Earnings Preview - Second Quarter 2015 | Financial Sense
- Greeks Turn To Bitcoin To Dodge Capital Controls | ZeroHedge
- BofA's Dire Prediction: Only Direct Government Buying Can Save China Stocks Now | ZeroHedge
- Crude Slides After US Oil Rig Count Rises For First Time Since December | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Tesla is at another crossroads (TSLA) | Business Insider
- See if you can you spot the subtle ways these tech... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions 7/2: (... | StreetInsider.com
- How President Roosevelt tricked the Supreme Court into creating a minimum wage | Business Insider
- The 'terrifying' moment in 2012 when YouTube changed its entire philosophy | Business Insider
- The most fascinating analyst note we've read about China in weeks isn... | Business Insider
- The internet tried to give a homeless man $5,000 but he... | Business Insider