Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Lawrence Wilkerson: "The American 'Empire' Is In Deep, Deep Trouble" | ZeroHedge
- Tanker Rates Soar As China Hoards Saudi's "Cheap" Oil Amid Biggest Price Cut Since 2012 | ZeroHedge
- Deutsche Bank Boosts German GDP Forecast Due To "Surge In Immigration" | ZeroHedge
- Emerging Market Meltdown May Plunge Global Economy Into Recession | ZeroHedge
- Syria Ground War Imminent? U.S. Accuses Russia Of Launching Syrian Land Campaign | ZeroHedge
- How Did Picasso Create 50,000 Works of Art? | Altucher Confidential
- The Oil Price Shock – A Boon, or a Harbinger of Disaster? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Trian becomes a top GE investor | Business Insider
- Top 25 shake-up: Gators up, 'Dawgs down, Buckeyes still 1... | Business Insider
- Jack Dorsey is the best (and maybe only) choice for Twitter CEO (TWTR) | Business Insider
- Westwood calls to 'Save Venice' at Paris fashion show... | Business Insider
- 19 books to read if you want to get rich | Business Insider
- Jennings' 51-yard TD helps Giants seal 24-10 win... | Business Insider
- Several VW engineers admit to installing cheat device... | Business Insider