Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- THE COURRECTION HAS ENDED | iBankCoin.com
- Friday Humor And Epic Trolling: Joe LaVorgna Says Q1 GDP Actually Rose 1.2% (If Seasonally Adjusted Some More) | ZeroHedge
- Virtu Revenue In Peril: Reuters, BATS Launch Crackdown On Algo FX Manipulation | ZeroHedge
- Super-Tanker Surge Signals More Crude Carnage To Come | ZeroHedge
- ABC's of the AIIB | Financial Sense
- 10 Things We Had To Unlearn That Our Children Won't | ZeroHedge
- Putin Slams US Over FIFA Arrests: "Another Blatant Attempt By The US To Meddle Outside Its Jurisdiction" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China's most wanted fugitive is in US custody after being caught with a... | Business Insider
- Mass deaths of rare Kazakhstan antelopes stir... | Business Insider
- Google working with Levi Strauss to make smart clothes | Business Insider
- Get ready for Amazon milk and cereal, as company... | Business Insider
- 'Ebola will return', veteran scientist warns | Business Insider
- Top 10... | StreetInsider.com
- Here's the incredible story behind the guy who was just sentenced to life... | Business Insider