Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Meanwhile At The DNC In Philly... | ZeroHedge
- Fund Managers at Highest Cash Levels in 14 Years | Financial Sense
- The Looming Shortage in Government Bonds | Financial Sense
- The Real Message From Asset Inflation | ZeroHedge
- "Politically Correct" German MP Demands Probe Over Police Shooting Of Axe-Wielding Jihadist | ZeroHedge
- Bernie Supporters Boo, Jeer After Call To Vote For Clinton-Kaine | ZeroHedge
- The Market For Lemons, The Market For Bullshit, And The Great Cascading Credence Crash Of 2016 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 8 reasons living in a city is terrible for you | Business Insider
- Fans dressed as Harley Quinn are taking Comic-Con by storm | Business Insider
- Scientists mapped the human brain like a... | Business Insider
- Jarring photos show just how empty the stands were for NASCAR's Brickyard 400 | Business Insider
- Judge bans Uber use of background checks in NY lawsuit | Business Insider
- Here are the star traders trying to become the hedge fund honchos of tomorrow | Business Insider
- Victoria's Secret is ignoring a massive shift in the lingerie industry, and it... | Business Insider