Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Wide Spreads to Keep in Mind | iBankCoin.com
- China’s Credit Markets Under Pressure | Financial Sense
- Cramer Vs. Klarman - You Get What You Pay For | ZeroHedge
- Weekly Sentiment Report: Is There Another Rabbit in the Hat? | ZeroHedge
- Another East-Ukraine City Falls To Pro-Russian Protesters As Ukraine Denies Sending Troops To Crimea | ZeroHedge
- NatGas Nightmares & The Descending Deep State | ZeroHedge
- Ukraine - NATO, the EU, and the US vs. Putin | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- How A 20-Something CEO Running A $2 Billion Company Got Mark Cuban To Become His... | Business Insider
- California's Budget Is Looking Massively Better Than Expected, And It's A Great Sign For GDP... | Business Insider
- Obama Advisor: US Won't Recognize Crimea Annexation | Business Insider
- Russian Forces Seize Another Military Airport In... | Business Insider
- '300' Sequel Takes Down DreamWorks Animation's 'Peabody... | Business Insider
- Lena Dunham Offers 'SNL' Cast Sex Advice During Opening... | Business Insider