Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Verbal Deflation: FOMC Statement Has Fewest Words In Over A Year | ZeroHedge
- DEATH TO VLADIMIR PUTIN | iBankCoin.com
- Prepping for the Big Screen | iBankCoin.com
- How Long Can The Shale Revolution Last? | ZeroHedge
- A Glimpse Inside The FX "Cartel's" Chat Rooms | ZeroHedge
- Santelli Slams The Fed As "Weak-Data"-Dependent; Lacy Hunt Warns "We're Not On The Right Path" | ZeroHedge
- Algos Please Ignore: Citi Slashes Previously Reported Net Income Due To "Legal Investigations" Over FX Rigging Probe | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How An Oil Engineer Discovered Auto-Tune And Changed The Music Industry Forever | Business Insider
- German Unemployment Takes An Unexpected Plunge | Business Insider
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Just Came Out As Gay (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Man Who Mysteriously Disappeared From A Broncos Game Found 114 Miles Away After Walking For 5 Days... | Business Insider
- Afghanistan's Opium Industry Now Employs More People Than Its Military | Business Insider
- 25 years on, Germany's east-west divide still palpable | Business Insider
- Check Out These Mesmerizing Photos Of Ceramic Poppies Spilling Out From The Tower Of... | Business Insider