Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- OIL DOWN THE DRAIN FOR XMAS | iBankCoin.com
- Something Appears To Be Going On With Gold | ZeroHedge
- Core Durable Orders Drop Most Since Polar Vortex, Core CapEx Lowest Since May | ZeroHedge
- For The World's Largest Rig Operator, The "Recovery" Is Now Worse Than The Post-Lehman Crash | ZeroHedge
- The New Home Sales Farce: Department Of US Economic "Data" Revisions Full Frontal | ZeroHedge
- Consumer Confidence Surprises to the Downside | Financial Sense
- "Failed" Bund Auction At Record Low Yield And All Other Key Overnight Events | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 10 Biggest Poker Players In Silicon Valley | Business Insider
- Bomb rocks busy market in Nigeria's Maiduguri:... | Business Insider
- A Fatal Medieval Disease Still Kills Thousands Of People Every Year | Business Insider
- Here Are Some Of The Crazy Things Best Buy Does To Prepare For Black Friday | Business Insider
- Benedict Cumberbatch And The Cast Of 'The Imitation Game' Have... | Business Insider
- These Are America's Secret Elite Warriors | Business Insider
- Spotify Is Your New Nightmare For Breakups | Business Insider