Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Big Four Economic Indicators See Strong Advance | Financial Sense
- Democrats Told "Don't Mention 'Economic Recovery' - It's A Political Loser" | ZeroHedge
- 85% of Pension Funds to Fail in Three Decades | Financial Sense
- The Secret World Of Gold | ZeroHedge
- Don’t Bet on Treasury Rally to Continue | Financial Sense
- Two Measures of Inflation | Financial Sense
- Reports Are Not Yet Confirming Slowdown Was All Weather Related | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Here's A Quick Guide To What Traders Are Chatting About Right Now | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the... | StreetInsider.com
- These Guys Confess To Their Worst Mistakes Made During Tech Job Interviews | Business Insider
- Trading Radar for 04/10: Rite... | StreetInsider.com
- Teenager Shot After Cutting Line At Foot... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek