Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Undercurrent of Currency Issues | Financial Sense
- Merkel Accuses Facebook, Google Of "Distorting Perception", Wants Access To Algorithms | ZeroHedge
- Bonds Are Signaling BIG Trouble is Ahead | ZeroHedge
- "Obama Calls Obamacare Disaster 'A Starter Home', Republicans Should Be The Bulldozer" | ZeroHedge
- Bond Bloodbath Sinks Stocks As Dollar Spikes To 9-Month Highs | ZeroHedge
- Too Many Tired Bulls | Financial Sense
- Paul Craig Roberts Explains "What's At Stake In The Election" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- THE SMARTWATCH REPORT: Forecasts, adoption trends,... | Business Insider
- Marco Rubio's high-end data team sounds off on Donald Trump: 'He won'... | Business Insider
- Microsoft just revamped MS Paint — and it lets anyone create 3D designs | Business Insider
- Apple's plan to own your TV is becoming clear (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Microsoft is taking on Amazon’s $970 million Twitch acquisition — here's why it... | Business Insider
- Majors that don't typically pay well made a significant... | Business Insider
- Mike Bloomberg defends Wall Street banks, says Trump supporters are not... | Business Insider