Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Universities Feel the Gales of Creative Destruction | Financial Sense
- CPI Prints Smallest Possible Increase In September Even As Beef Prices Surge 17% In 2014 | ZeroHedge
- Caught On Tape - Some Folks Jumped The White House Fence, Again | ZeroHedge
- Big Four Economic Indicators Show Possible Rollover | Financial Sense
- Schizophrenic Silver Slammed On Surging Volume | ZeroHedge
- How The Federal Reserve Is Purposely Attacking Savers | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Sachs Is Buying Carl Icahn's "High Yield Bond Bubble" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Stocks Are Falling — Dow Down 120 (DIA, SPY, QQQ, TLT, IWM, BA, DDD, YHOO, ABBV, SHPG) | Business Insider
- Marvel Had The Best Response To 'The Avengers' Sequel Trailer... | Business Insider
- Dicker: With Low Oil Prices, Which Companies Should You Buy? | TheStreet.com
- 3 Dead After Small Plane And Helicopter Collide At Maryland... | Business Insider
- Man with 'Islamic extremist leanings' attacks NY... | Business Insider
- Billionaires Are Reportedly Paying $4,000 For A Titanium Toothbrush | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek