Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- PaLiN FaMiLY BRaWL... | ZeroHedge
- The Ebola Epidemic Silver-Lining: IMF Bailouts For Everyone | ZeroHedge
- 4 C’s That Could Change The Financial World As We Know It, Again | ZeroHedge
- Babson's Warning | ZeroHedge
- August Retail Sales Rose Broadly | Financial Sense
- 'Janus' Yellen And The Great Transition From Risk-On To Risk-Off | ZeroHedge
- How Financial Bubbles Fester And Burst - Even As The Fed Says Not To Worry | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- NASA Is About To Do Something It Hasn't Done In 40 Years | Business Insider
- Trading Radar for... | StreetInsider.com
- This Show About Sick Teens In A Swanky Hospital Is One Of Fall’s Best New TV Series | Business Insider
- Virginity worth $5,000, Chinese court rules | Business Insider
- Nate Silver Is Going To War Against A Rival Election Forecaster | Business Insider
- Ashley-Cooper and Genia return for Wallabies | Business Insider
- 'NO' VOTE HOLDS STEADY IN FINAL SCOTTISH INDEPENDENCE POLL | Business Insider