Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Inside the Market's Mind: Investment’s Hard Problem...and Why It Can’t Be [Quantitatively] Eased | Financial Sense
- Jim Grant: "Gold Is The Ultimate Inoculation Against Harebrained Central Bankers" | ZeroHedge
- A Slow Summer Afternoon Note from ChessEye Risk Management About The Process | iBankCoin.com
- A-D Line Divergence Again | Financial Sense
- The Case for a Bull or Bear Market in Two Charts | Financial Sense
- All of the Countries which the U.S. “Regime Changed” – Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya – Have Descended into Brutal Chaos | ZeroHedge
- Canadian Doctor Quarantines Himself Over Ebola Fears After Returning From Liberia | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- John Boehner Unloads On 'Embarrassed,' 'Deceitful,'... | Business Insider
- Why Rite Aid Stock Is Down Today | TheStreet.com
- 21% Of Americans Spend More On Their Cell Phones Than On Groceries | Business Insider
- Two Former McDonald's Executives Are Leading A Fast-Food Revolution | Business Insider
- 9 Unfair Advantages That Help People Get Ahead | Business Insider
- Here's Wall Street's Three-Word Summary Of Everything | Business Insider
- How Will Cisco Systems Stock React to This Analyst Action? | TheStreet.com