Covered Call Picks (DVAX,CSCO,FB,NFLX,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DVAX||Dynavax Technologies Corp||4.74||5||0.5||10.50%||November 2012|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||16.9||17||0.5||2.80%||November 2012|
|FB||Facebook Inc||19.9||20||0.6||2.80%||November 2012|
|NFLX||Netflix Inc||79.6||80||1.8||2.30%||November 2012|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||24.4||24.5||0.5||2.20%||November 2012|
Dynavax Technologies Corp (DVAX) is currently trading at $4.74. Its 52 week range is between $2.67 and $5.34.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $16.85. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.3.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $19.86. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $79.61. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Meet Andorra: Europe's Next Failed State | ZeroHedge
- Saudi Arabia and Iran Compete in Yemen | Financial Sense
- Can Money Flows Push Equity Prices Much Higher? | Financial Sense
- Gold Prices 'Somewhat Bearish' After Short-Covering Rally | Financial Sense
- Watch the Internals for Tickery | iBankCoin.com
- #AskBen: Welcome To Twitter @BenBernanke | ZeroHedge
- The Latest "Conspiracy Theory" In Iraq: Accusations Emerge That US Is Aiding ISIS | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why I just bought a load of Ocado stock | Business Insider
- Hedge funder Steve Cohen is starting a venture capital fund | Business Insider
- There's a good reason 'The Walking Dead'... | Business Insider
- Everything we're expecting from Jay Z's press... | Business Insider
- Finding housing in New York City is stressful — here's the strategy I've used | Business Insider
- 'The Walking Dead' spinoff may finally tell us how the zombie apocalypse... | Business Insider
- DEAL OF THE DAY: save 50% on these premium noise-canceling headphones | Business Insider