Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 3 Things: If You Don't Like It Change It | ZeroHedge
- When Europe Gets Greece’s Jingle Mail: Dealing With Default | Financial Sense
- Are You Guilty Of Crimes Against Young Americans? | ZeroHedge
- 572 Reasons Why The Fed Is Terrified To Hike: "One Rate Cut Every Three Trading Days" | ZeroHedge
- Thousands Gather At McDonald's Headquarters Demanding Higher Wages | ZeroHedge
- Stall Speed Economy – Get Used to It | Financial Sense
- Artist's Rendering Of Obama's Iraq Strategy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- 'Shark Tank' investor Barbara Corcoran reveals the worst... | Business Insider
- There's one problem with Jeb Bush's criticism... | Business Insider
- Science says these 9 tactics will help you win any argument | Business Insider
- Business Insider is hiring a senior research analyst in New... | Business Insider
- BlackBerry cuts more jobs as it changes its focus from phones (BBRY) | Business Insider