Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Sorry Folks, The North Koreans Hacked The "Global Recovery" | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: December 18 | ZeroHedge
- Dollar Consolidates as Oil Slide Continues | Financial Sense
- Previewing 2015... And 2014, And 2013, And 2012, And 2011, And 2010 | ZeroHedge
- Will Yellen Learn from Greenspan? | ZeroHedge
- Swiss Central Bank Plunges Into NIRP, Sends Deposit Rates Negative, Scrambles Against Safe-Haven Capital Flight | ZeroHedge
- The Annotated History of US Dollar Debauchery | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- SONY: No VOD Distributor Will Release 'The Interview' | Business Insider
- Google's Search Ad Policies Cost This Company $1 Million (... | Business Insider
- BitTorrent Really Wants To Circulate 'The Interview' | Business Insider
- Warming leads to more run-ins with polar bears | Business Insider
- Russians Are Flooding Out Of London's... | Business Insider
- Nike’s Storming Q2 Earnings Show It Is On Its Way... | Business Insider
- Why BlackBerry Shares Are Falling, Despite a Surprise Profit | TheStreet.com