Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- After That, I Knew it was Gonna Be a Loooong Summer | iBankCoin.com
- "Terminal State Of Broken" | ZeroHedge
- Check Out These Hot Looks Before Your Hot Weekend in the Hamptons | iBankCoin.com
- Breakout in Bond Yields Foreshadows Possible Economic Acceleration | Financial Sense
- Anthony Weiner To Prop Up NYC Mayoral Campaign With Many More Naked Pictures Of Himself | ZeroHedge
- Emerging Problems | iBankCoin.com
- A Close Examination of the Reversal | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Anonymous Actually Intimidated The US Government Into Shutting... | Business Insider
- Crane Operator Accidentally Hits Tree, Knocks Out Power To A Third Of Vietnam | Business Insider
- Photos Of The New Nokia Lumia 928 (NOK, MSFT) | Business Insider
- UBS: Here Are 5 Assets That Look Like Their In A Bubble | Business Insider
- The Material That Protects The Space Shuttle From Heat Is Amazing | Business Insider
- This Week's Volatility Reflects A Major Change In The Market's... | Business Insider
- Fox News President Blasts Obama Administration's 'Attempt To Intimidate Fox... | Business Insider