Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What A Commodity Trading Legend Is Buying Ahead Of The Next Crisis | ZeroHedge
- A Force For Good? | ZeroHedge
- $356 Billion Fund Manager: "Now Is The Most Treacherous Time Ever. I've Never Seen This In My Career" | ZeroHedge
- Debate Post-Mortem: Rematch Required As Commentators Split On Debate Winner, Markets Give Hillary Nod | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Wipe Out Post-Fed Gains As Deutsche Dread Batters US Banks | ZeroHedge
- WA Goes After Pre-Crime: Gun Confiscation Proposed For Those "Likely To Commit Violence In The Near Future" | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: September 26 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A record 84 million TV viewers watched the first... | Business Insider
- BMW will return to Le Mans in 2018 (F) | Business Insider
- Russia's new education minister wants to mandate... | Business Insider
- FedEx reveals anticipated holiday delivery trends (FDX) | Business Insider
- I'm a 22-year-old New Yorker who makes $32,000 a year — here's what I spent... | Business Insider
- There are reports of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones still catching fire in China | Business Insider
- IAB interviews pros on virtual reality's potential | Business Insider