Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Recession vs. Wealth Inequality | Financial Sense
- Australia’s Housing Bubble: Myth, or Ticking Time Bomb? | Financial Sense
- "It Could Never Happen Here" - America Is Not Greece | ZeroHedge
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- IMF Bolsters Greek "No" Vote, Says Country Needs Much Bigger Debt Haircut | ZeroHedge
- The Troika Turns Europe Into A Warzone | ZeroHedge
- Is This Why 'Europe' Is Now Trying To Crush Greece? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Someone is creating fake websites on the dark web to try to lure in... | Business Insider
- US train with toxic chemicals derails, catches fire | Business Insider
- Tesla sets a new record for car deliveries in second... | Business Insider
- This disgusting video shows the mysterious science of... | Business Insider
- 3 factors are brewing the perfect storm for shark attacks | Business Insider
- Djokovic, Serena, Sharapova eye Wimbledon last 16 | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton's leading opponent just drew a massive, 10,000-person crowd | Business Insider