Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Forex Monopoly | ZeroHedge
- Caterpillar Retail Sales Decline For 43 Consecutive Months | ZeroHedge
- With Italy's Bank Stress Test "A Near-Term Risk", Who Is Most Exposed? | ZeroHedge
- Dallas Fed Outlook Contracts For 19th Straight Month With Wages Crashing To Sept 2013 Lows | ZeroHedge
- Furious Sanders Supporters, Angry Media, Blistering Chaos Marks First Day Of Democratic Convention | ZeroHedge
- Hillary Clinton Is In Deep Trouble: "Hordes Of Wall Street Executives" Descend Upon Philly | ZeroHedge
- Silver Spikes Back Into Green After Overnight Slump | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A volcano near Rome is showing signs that a massive eruption is brewing | Business Insider
- Watch Sarah Silverman call out 'Bernie or Bust'... | Business Insider
- 11 things that will make you sound dumb in a job interview | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- This is why your saliva can't quench your thirst when it's hot... | Business Insider
- MORGAN STANLEY: These 7 stocks are going up soon | Business Insider
- ... | Business Insider