Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Americans - The New Second-Class Citizens | ZeroHedge
- Peak Petro-State - The Oil World In Chaos | ZeroHedge
- The "System" Won't Survive The Robots | ZeroHedge
- Wells Fargo Reintroduces 3% Down Mortgages | ZeroHedge
- US Services PMI Tumbles, Misses By Most On Record "Dealing Blow To Q2 Rebound Hopes" | ZeroHedge
- Five Years Later, TEPCO Still Can't Locate 600 Tons Of Melted Radioactive Fuel | ZeroHedge
- Daiwa: "Round Two Of China Capital Outflows Is About To Begin" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Sears may sell 4 of its iconic brands (SHLD) | Business Insider
- 3 reasons why you shouldn't freak out about China just yet | Business Insider
- STATE DEPARTMENT: Hillary Clinton 'did not comply' with government... | Business Insider
- ... | Business Insider
- These pieces of furniture can fold to become two-... | Business Insider
- The most extravagant places tech billionaires go to vacation | Business Insider
- Scientists say men with one intriguing characteristic... | Business Insider