Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- From Dollar Daze to Dollar Days | Financial Sense
- European Stocks Tumble After EU Slashes Growth, Inflation Guesses | ZeroHedge
- A Currency War That Europe And Japan Can't Afford To Lose | ZeroHedge
- Eight "New Normal" Charts That Are Insanely Abnormal (And Dangerous) | ZeroHedge
- "Bankers Will Choose To Fly Instead Of Die" - Why Bill Gross Thinks Helicopter Money Is Imminent | ZeroHedge
- Pro-Brexit Leader Jokes "Keep Sending Obama Over" After Surge In Polls | ZeroHedge
- 'Kill! Kill! Kill! - How China Recruits For Its Massively Underpaid Army | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This is how billionaire Steve Cohen got into trading stocks... | Business Insider
- Check out the Canadian airliner that's trying to challenge Boeing (DAL, BBD.B) | Business Insider
- Police around the country are 'woefully short'... | Business Insider
- Beyoncé just made a major investment in the juice business — and it's not... | Business Insider
- The smartwatch market just received an encouraging sign (AAPL) | Business Insider
- We tried the $150 'platinum' doughnut that's infused with tequila — here... | Business Insider
- The St. Louis Fed has the best explanation so far of why negative... | Business Insider