Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Crosscurrents “R” Us | Financial Sense
- BeYoND THe IRoN DoMe... | ZeroHedge
- "US Will Feel Tangible Losses," Russia Prepares To Unleash Retaliatory Trade Wars | ZeroHedge
- Risk Off As Employment Costs Surge: This Is Where Wages Supposedly Rose The Most | ZeroHedge
- Deteriorating Breadth Warned of Pullback, Now Hinting at Near-Term Bottom | Financial Sense
- Why The 10Y Yield Is Heading To 1.5% In 1 Simple Chart | ZeroHedge
- Why the ECB Cannot and Will Not Be Able to Create Growth in Europe | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Bank of America's Continuing Pain Will Be Patient Investors' Gain | TheStreet.com
- Everyone Is Mocking One Quote From Argentina's Economy Minister | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Fight Between Toronto, Buffalo, And Some Famous Names Will Make The Bills The Most Expensive... | Business Insider
- Jim Cramer's Top Stock Picks: WM LOCO IP | TheStreet.com
- Android Is Absolutely Crushing The Smartphone Market — And It’s Not Even Close... | Business Insider