Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Catalysts for Higher Global Bond Yields | Financial Sense
- Crisis Averted: China Calls Taiwan Phone Call A "Gimmick" As It Lodges Diplomatic Protest | ZeroHedge
- 70% Of Immigrants Admitted Under Obama's "Minor Refugee" Program Are Actually Adults | ZeroHedge
- Trump Team Confirms Dakota Access Support Has "Nothing To Do With Personal Investments" In Pipeline Builder | ZeroHedge
- Stagnation and the OECD's Solution | Financial Sense
- This Is The "Most Dangerous Moment In Human History," Stephen Hawking Warns | ZeroHedge
- Will Rand Paul Fight Fake News With a Filibuster? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Twitter bought a small, virtually unknown startup to get... | Business Insider
- Trump's new cabinet pick Wilbur Ross reportedly served as head of a... | Business Insider
- We got to see how IBM's Watson supercomputer could help diagnose a... | Business Insider
- A serial entrepreneur reveals her 3 key... | Business Insider
- Brexit is already hurting UK fintech | Business Insider
- Here's how you could boost your tax refund before the year ends | Business Insider
- 'The casualty figures are staggering': Nearly 2,000... | Business Insider