Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Issues Americans Think Are Worth A Government Shutdown | ZeroHedge
- Populism and the Long-Term Debt Cycle | Financial Sense
- Tesla's Musk Aspires to Create "Counter for Skynet" | ZeroHedge
- This Is What Americans Spent The Most Money On In The First Quarter | ZeroHedge
- Don't Show President Trump This Chart | ZeroHedge
- Meet Danny Moses: The Frontpoint Trader Who Actually Put "The Big Short" Trade On | ZeroHedge
- Who Really Controls The Gold Price? (The Answer Is Quite Surprising) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Intel earnings show growing IoT revenue (INTC) | Business Insider
- Here's why the prime minister of the... | Business Insider
- $70,000 buys you the greatest Corvette ever made (GM) | Business Insider
- Trump played golf 19 times in his first 100 days — here's why American... | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- A $14.5 billion hedge fund is crushing it | Business Insider
- Consumer confidence unexpectedly dips | Business Insider