Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- LIBOR Scapegoat Found Guilty, Sentenced To 14 Years | ZeroHedge
- With The S&P 2% From All Time Highs, Wall Street Bearishness Is More Extreme Than March 2009 | ZeroHedge
- AAPL Down 15% From Highs - Worst Drop In 30 Months | ZeroHedge
- Thoughts About Chinese Stocks, Reserves, and SDR Inclusion | Financial Sense
- Energy Sector Weighs on Market as Selloff Continues | Financial Sense
- Fed's Lockhart Sends Stocks Reeling; Dollar, Bond Yields Soaring | ZeroHedge
- Here's Why Apple Just Entered A Correction | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The US government may be partly to blame for skyrocketing... | Business Insider
- Here's when you're probably getting married | Business Insider
- China caught the US 'with our pants down' — and the Obama... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- Samsung now lets you buy movies, apps, and games through your... | Business Insider
- An unstoppable problem is making it nearly impossible for the world to produce... | Business Insider
- A lone hacker is earning as much as £64,000 per month just by sending... | Business Insider