Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Oil Bounce Extends After US Oil Rig Count Continues To Plunge | ZeroHedge
- Turkish Shootdown of Russian Jet: What You Need to Know | ZeroHedge
- US-Backed Rebels Release Video Of Dead Russian Pilot | ZeroHedge
- Volkswagen Admits To Equipping Audis, Porsches With Second Illegal Defeat Device | ZeroHedge
- US Taxpayer Faces $230 Million Loss As Spain's 'Solyndra' Files For Creditor Protection | ZeroHedge
- Let It Snow - California Drought Recovery Remains "Extremely Unlikely" | ZeroHedge
- Global Stocks Rebound As Geopolitical Tensions Subside; Europe Surges On Report Of More ECB Easing | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A 5th person has been arrested over the hack of TalkTalk on 'suspicion... | Business Insider
- Tony Robbins on the easiest way to change... | Business Insider
- Obama honoring Streisand, Spielberg, Sondheim and more | Business Insider
- Bills WR Easley leaves game for concussion test | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- Ben Carson's campaign: 'He doesn't stand behind' his comments... | Business Insider