Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Assange's Lawyer Provides An "Out": Says Conditions Not Met For Extradition Deal | ZeroHedge
- Initial Claims Crash To 44 Year Lows But Over 700,000 More People Are On Jobless Benefits Since Trump Was Elected | ZeroHedge
- Will 'Dull Draghi' Talk Up Downside Risks? - ECB Press Conference Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- US Financial Markets - Alarm Bells Are Ringing | ZeroHedge
- Donald Trump, Betsy DeVos and School Choice | Financial Sense
- Jamie Dimon's 2016 Pay: $28,000,000 | ZeroHedge
- Here Were the Biggest Winners and Losers During Obama's Reign of Terror | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The stock market is booming, but Trump can't take all the credit... | Business Insider
- How World War III could begin in Latvia | Business Insider
- Google quietly stopped publishing monthly accident... | Business Insider
- It's National Cheese Lover's Day — here’s how to take your fondue to... | Business Insider
- The dollar bull market will stay intact in 2017 | Business Insider
- TRUMP: Defeating ISIS 'will be our highest priority' | Business Insider
- How the GOP's tax plan could affect the real-estate market | Business Insider