Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fastest Pace Of Withdrawals From JPM's Gold Vault In Over A Year | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap October 22, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Revisiting Truth's Moment | ZeroHedge
- United States Of China: In Which States Is Your Landlord Most Likely To Be Chinese | ZeroHedge
- Five Stocks Playing Strong Hands Today | iBankCoin.com
- Taking A Spin | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How One Woman Built A Multimillion-Dollar Cupcake Business With Just $33... | Business Insider
- Microsoft's Surface Found A Lifeline (MSFT) | Business Insider
- Sears Plans To Close Stores And Lay Off Workers | Business Insider
- Market Volatility Is No Reason To Freak Out | Business Insider
- Billionaire Steve Cohen Wants 57 Of His Ex-Wife's Emails From 2006 | Business Insider
- Hazmat Suit Maker Shares Are Going Wild Again (LAKE) | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek