Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Did Goldman Just Call The Top Of The "Strong Dollar" Trade | ZeroHedge
- The End of the Bull Market? | Financial Sense
- "This Won't Remain Confined In Greece" | ZeroHedge
- "Greece Is Bear Stearns. Italy Is Lehman" - 7 Quick Points On Europe | ZeroHedge
- Swiss Franc Slumps Most Since September 2011 | ZeroHedge
- Spot The Uber Arbitrage | ZeroHedge
- The Joyflation Of The Superbowl | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- FBI Agent Explains How Russia's Foreign Spy Operations... | Business Insider
- Fighting Serena stays alive at Aussie Open as... | Business Insider
- Obama to be guest of honour at India's Republic Day... | Business Insider
- Radical Leftists Are About To Take Control Of Greece | Business Insider
- Argentina's President Wants To Dissolve The Country... | Business Insider
- There Are Insanely Long Lines At New York City Supermarkets Ahead Of The Blizzard | Business Insider
- Natalie Portman sits in on retro space-age Dior fashion... | Business Insider