Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Brief Overview from my Perch | iBankCoin.com
- Gold Edging Closer to Long-Term Bearish; Beware of Blind Spots! | Financial Sense
- Japanese Bonds Tumble Most In 3 Months As Ito Says GPIF Should Cut Holdings | ZeroHedge
- President Obama Explains How Great The Economy Is (Just Don't Tell The Fed) - Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
- Those "Too Big To Stay In Jail" Walk: The "GE Three" Go Free | ZeroHedge
- Five Stocks Not Clowning Around on Your Smoke Break | iBankCoin.com
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- There's Three Other Important Economic Datapoints That Are Coming Out Today | Business Insider
- Carl Icahn Just Fired A New Missile At Apple To Get It To Return More Cash To Shareholders (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Pre-... | StreetInsider.com
- Here Are The Four US States That Are Expected To Contract Over The Next Six... | Business Insider
- The Secret Memo That Led To The James Bond Movies | Business Insider
- Suddenly Things Have Gotten A Little More... | Business Insider
- Kim Jong-un's Uncle And Former... | Business Insider