Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Aug 31 - Fed Mester: US Economy Can Support Rate Increase | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Firms Edging Out Samsung and Apple in the Smartphone Industry | Financial Sense
- Clash, Mesh, Rattle... Thud | Financial Sense
- The Future of the Internet Is at Risk | Financial Sense
- Is China Dumping US Treasuries? | Financial Sense
- Chinese Stocks Open Down Hard As PBOC Strengthens Yuan By Most Since 2010 & Default Risk Hits 2-Year High | ZeroHedge
- Why the End of China's “Strong Yuan” Policy Matters to Global Markets | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Chris Brown is being sued by a fan who claims to have been shot at one of his... | Business Insider
- London's newest private members' club will be full of accountants | Business Insider
- One of the government agents tasked with taking down Silk Road pleads guilty to... | Business Insider
- The big new feature on the next iPhone could solve... | Business Insider
- Right-wing party exits parliamentary coalition in Ukraine... | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton's defense of her personal email server just got... | Business Insider
- Official index: China manufacturing falls to 3-year low | Business Insider