Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What If Prosperity Breaks Out? | Financial Sense
- Market Cap to GDP: The Buffett Valuation Indicator | Financial Sense
- Jobs Report Not as Positive for the Economy as Some Think | Financial Sense
- Obama, The 'Fiddling' Optimist | ZeroHedge
- US Offers Immunity To Junior FX Manipulators In Exchange For Ratting Out Their Seniors | ZeroHedge
- Germany Wins | ZeroHedge
- The Most Hated Bull! | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 5 Stocks Under $10 Set to Soar | TheStreet.com
- The Most Expensive Celebrity Homes In New York City | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- The Soccer Rule That Americans Always Get Wrong | Business Insider
- We Visited Zendesk's Sleek New Office, Where Reception Doubles As A Bar | Business Insider
- 15 Apps For Your iPhone That Are Better Than The Ones Apple Made (AAPL) | Business Insider
- The Problem With Mobile Phone... | Business Insider