Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Paul Craig Roberts: "Truth Is Washington's Enemy" | ZeroHedge
- When QE Leads To Deflation: A Look At The "Confounding" Global Supply Glut | ZeroHedge
- Earnings & Events On Tap | iBankCoin.com
- US May Use Cyberattacks As Offensive Weapon, DoD Says | ZeroHedge
- Rising Police Aggression A Telling Indicator Of Our Societal Decline | ZeroHedge
- Gold, The SDR, & BRICS | ZeroHedge
- Our Financial Future: Infinite Greed Meets A Funny Thing Called Karma | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- NYPD thanks Swedish cops on vacation for breaking up... | Business Insider
- Deutsche Bank to cut costs by 3.5 bn euros by 2020 | Business Insider
- Elon Musk's Twitter account was hacked (TSLA) | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- The ECB is NOT planning to cut Greek banks off | Business Insider
- You had 'one' job, BlackBerry — company makes a grammar gaffe in its... | Business Insider