Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Five Stocks to Consider Putting on Your Ship | iBankCoin.com
- Wall Street To The Rescue?? | ZeroHedge
- RuSSia: EXPoSeD To THe WoRLD'S CoNTeMPT... | ZeroHedge
- Seth Klarman On "Born Bulls", Bitcoin, & "The Truman Show" Market | ZeroHedge
- Looking Past Ukraine | Financial Sense
- US Guided-Missile Destroyer Truxtun Has Entered The Black Sea | ZeroHedge
- Gazprom Warns Of "Repetition Of 2009 Gas Situation" In Ukraine | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Truth About 'The Most Interesting Man In The World' | Business Insider
- Dear BlackBerry Shorts: You Have Been Warned (Twice) | TheStreet.com
- GROVER NORQUIST: Here Are The Only 6 Republicans Who Can Win In 2016 | Business Insider
- This One Video Shows Why The A-10 Is Loved By US Troops — And Totally Feared By The Enemy | Business Insider
- Awesome Parody Video Replaces The 'Jurassic Park' Velociraptors With Cats | Business Insider
- Square Figured Out Which US Cities Had The Most Generous Tippers | Business Insider
- California's Severe Drought Could Last For More Than A Century | Business Insider