Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Asia-Pac Stocks Head For Worst Losing Streak In 12 Years | ZeroHedge
- Is Crimea a Short-Term Gain for Putin, but Long-Term Loss for Russia? | Financial Sense
- NSA Warns "Bad Guys Are Everywhere" As Spooks Run Afoul Of German Laws Again | ZeroHedge
- An Independent Scotland? | Financial Sense
- Babson's Warning | ZeroHedge
- 4 C’s That Could Change The Financial World As We Know It, Again | ZeroHedge
- PaLiN FaMiLY BRaWL... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What's Keeping the Fed From Raising Short-Term Interest Rates | TheStreet.com
- The 100 Best Companies For Working Moms | Business Insider
- Sean Connery Is Mysteriously Absent From The... | Business Insider
- 100 million people saved from hunger over last decade: UN... | Business Insider
- Pre-... | StreetInsider.com
- Moscow hails Ukraine self-rule olive branch for east | Business Insider
- TULIPMANIA: The True Story Of How A Country Went Totally Nuts For Flower Bulbs | Business Insider