Covered Call Picks (GRPN,MMR,MCP,FSLR,ARNA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $3.99. Its 52 week range is between $3.68 and $27.78.
McMoRan Exploration Co (MMR) is currently trading at $12.73. Its 52 week range is between $7.76 and $16.57.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $9.79. Its 52 week range is between $9.4 and $42.9.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $24.79. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $51.89.
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $7.6. Its 52 week range is between $1.27 and $13.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Which Director Are Politicians Listening To About Ebola? | ZeroHedge
- Market Boosted by Caterpillar (CAT) Earnings | Financial Sense
- Dow Is Up 110 Points, Visa Is 120 Of Them | ZeroHedge
- Shadow Banking Assets Increase By $5 Trillion To Record $75 Trillion, 120% Of Global GDP | ZeroHedge
- Fly Buy: $TRIP | iBankCoin.com
- Broken Market (Worse Than 2013 Nasdaq Blackout) Just Fails To Send S&P Back Over 2,000 | ZeroHedge
- In Memoriam: Abenomics | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Miami Heat Rookie James Ennis' Dunk Is Already A Candidate For NBA... | Business Insider
- Nintendo Wants To Get Into The Healthcare Business With A Bedside Sleep Monitor | Business Insider
- GOLD BREAKS $1,200 | Business Insider
- Japan's Nikkei 225 index soars over 5% after BoJ easing... | Business Insider
- Stock Market Today: Stocks Rise as Investors Digest 3.5% GDP Growth, More Hawkish Fed | TheStreet.com
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Royal Bank of Scotland sets aside £400m for forex probes | Business Insider