Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Madonna: "I Have Thought An Awful Lot About Blowing Up The White House" | ZeroHedge
- German Press: "That Was No Presidential Speech; That Was A Declaration Of War" | ZeroHedge
- Twitter Storms and Trade Wars | Financial Sense
- Peso Is Surging Ahead Of Inauguration After "Tough Stance" Chatter From Mexico | ZeroHedge
- Secular Shift in Interest Rates? | Financial Sense
- Morgan Stanley CEO James Gorman 2016 Pay: $22,500,000 | ZeroHedge
- Real Markets Are Not 'Pop Economics' | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A dermatologist reveals the biggest mistake men make with their skin... | Business Insider
- STOCKS CLIMB: Here's what you need to know | Business Insider
- 9 kitchen essentials for the ultimate Super Bowl party setup | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- 4 rituals from the philosophy of Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius that will... | Business Insider
- CUT THE CORD: Here's a guide to every live... | Business Insider
- There are two money moves every parent should make before having... | Business Insider