Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Focus on Earnings | Financial Sense
- Why Japan May Matter More Than Tapering | Financial Sense
- Potential Danger Signal | Financial Sense
- The Politics of Adjustment | Financial Sense
- Bubbles, Bubbles Everywhere | Financial Sense
- Worst. Congress. Ever | ZeroHedge
- Euthanasia of the Economy | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Thank You, Congress! | Business Insider
- This Website Advertises A Bunch Of Jobs That Pay In Bitcoin | Business Insider
- Bitcoin Just Rocketed past $1,000 Again | Business Insider
- Sorry, Libertarians — Inequality Does Matter | Business Insider
- BUDGET DEAL REACHED — Here's What You Need To Know | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Here's What The Bears Get Dead Wrong About This Controversial Corporate Profits Chart | Business Insider