Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Who is RBS? Royal BS... or the Royal Bank of Scotland | ZeroHedge
- Positive Outlook Change for Chinese Stocks Could Have Bullish Implications for Commodities | Financial Sense
- Guess Who The Dirtiest Dirty Shirt Is | ZeroHedge
- Russia Adds Two More Warships To Mediterranean Task Force Near Syria | ZeroHedge
- These Four Should Be on Your Screens | iBankCoin.com
- The Greatest Trick Alcoa Ever Pulled Was Convincing the World Other Aluminum Stocks Didn’t Exist | iBankCoin.com
- Theory of Interest and Prices in Paper Currency Part II (Mechanics) | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Google Clouds Amazon's Advantage | TheStreet.com
- Social Context Can Make You Seem Like A Genius Or A Dunce | Business Insider
- The Oklahoma Tornado May Have Been Up To 600 Times More Powerful Than... | Business Insider
- Commutes Into NYC Will Be Delayed All Week After Friday's Train Crash | Business Insider
- MARISSA MAYER: Here's Why I Just Bought Tumblr For $1.1... | Business Insider
- Herbalife's Stock Is Ripping | Business Insider
- LIVE: Tim Cook Defends Apple's Tax-Avoiding Policies To The Senate (AAPL) | Business Insider