Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Mainstream Economists Just Don’t Get it: Bank of America Merrill Lynch Edition | Financial Sense
- A 14 Year Old Explains Why Socialism Fails | ZeroHedge
- Defiant Tsipras Addresses Nation, Urges "No" Referendum Vote | ZeroHedge
- June 26 Silver Flash Crash: A Forensic Analysis | ZeroHedge
- How China Lost an Entire Spain in 17 Days | ZeroHedge
- Bull Market Pause or Top? Clues from the Credit Markets | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: July 1 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Reds outfielder Billy Hamilton is on pace to do something MLB hasn't... | Business Insider
- Scientists just discovered a simple way to eat healthier and lose weight, no... | Business Insider
- Why ZIP codes have 5 numbers — and what they each mean | Business Insider
- Small investment banks are killing the big banks (GS, MS) | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Canada approves Cirque du Soleil sale to US, Chinese... | Business Insider
- LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner explains his No. 1 management principle | Business Insider