Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Flashpoint: White House Confirms Russian Presence In Syria, Warns It Is "Destabilizing" | ZeroHedge
- Goldman: "No Rate Hike In September" | ZeroHedge
- US Equity Futures Mini-Flash-Crash As Japanese Econ Minister Opens Mouth | ZeroHedge
- Is It Over Yet? | ZeroHedge
- August Payrolls Miss, Rise Only 173K, Even As Prior Revised Higher; Hourly Earnings Rise More Than Expected | ZeroHedge
- Is This Where The US Recession Is Hiding? | ZeroHedge
- No, China Is Not Crashing | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- After a 5 year hiatus, Google is trying to bring its services back to China (GOOG, GOOGL... | Business Insider
- Watch this compilation of insane stunts from the Blue... | Business Insider
- Some men's rights activists are... | Business Insider
- Intel’s gum-sized compute stick is really cool but won’t be a blockbuster hit (INTC... | Business Insider
- The tech CEO whose resignation letter went viral has found a new job | Business Insider
- Maine Dunkin' Donuts: Free coffee for 'Deflategate... | Business Insider
- Wade leads Australia rally against England | Business Insider