Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why Am I Still In the Stock Market? | Financial Sense
- Is the Death of the US Bull Market Imminent? | Financial Sense
- A Strong Dollar May Not Be as Bad as Feared | Financial Sense
- Of Bonds & Bankers: Impossible Things Are Commonplace | ZeroHedge
- Gold, The SDR, & BRICS | ZeroHedge
- Presenting De-Dollarization In One Simple Map | ZeroHedge
- Election ‘Chaos’ In UK Could Trigger ‘Lehman Moment’ For Pound | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Arsenal aim to redraw lines of Chelsea rivalry | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Volvo has installed a luxury lounge in its new XC90 SUV | Business Insider
- For tech entrepreneurs, hustle is... | Business Insider
- Turn's CEO Bill Demas is out and sources say the ad-tech company has cash issues | Business Insider
- Health care inflation for America's senior citizens is out of control | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek