Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Happens When Central Banks Become Major Buyers in the Stock Market? Case Study: Japan | Financial Sense
- New Home Sales Soar Most Since 2007 Driven By Southern Sales Surge | ZeroHedge
- Bretton Woods: RIP | Financial Sense
- Goldman Calls It For Oil: "OPEC Freeze Insufficient To Support Prices; The Price Rally Should Stall" | ZeroHedge
- Whirled Politics: Would you rather be Trumped or Pillaried? | ZeroHedge
- THe UGLY AMeRiKaN... | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: August 23 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Norway's tunnels are so huge that they have full-size underground roundabouts | Business Insider
- ... | Business Insider
- Researchers have created technology that can talk to Wi-Fi | Business Insider
- A new cyber-security threat is called brainjacking | Business Insider
- Verizon is making a foray into the 'game changer' technology Wall Street... | Business Insider
- There's an easy way to tell if you've picked the right barbershop | Business Insider
- It's a terrible time to buy a new PlayStation 4 | Business Insider