Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- More Lukewarm Econ Data to Match Q1 Earnings | Financial Sense
- Saxo Warns Further Upside For Crude Hard To Achieve After Market "Change Of Focus" | ZeroHedge
- Uncertain Global Growth and Policy Environment | Financial Sense
- Futures Rebound As Crude Regains $45 On Canada Fears; Turkey Hammered | ZeroHedge
- Sell in May and Buy Back Higher in November | Financial Sense
- Is Wall Street Cyber Secure? | Financial Sense
- The Central Bank War On Savers - The Big Lie Beneath | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 3 plays in sports everybody will be talking about today | Business Insider
- Gundlach takes a hatchet to the Fed | Business Insider
- JPMorgan just made a big change in its giant investment bank | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Here's how payments companies are using... | Business Insider
- These 5 movies on Netflix will open your eyes about how food is really made | Business Insider
- How to use Venmo, the app that young people are using to replace cash | Business Insider