Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ken Rogoff: Is This As Good As It Gets For This Generation? | ZeroHedge
- Meanwhile In Socialist Utopia... | ZeroHedge
- Nobel Peace Prize Winning Caption Contest | ZeroHedge
- Stocks: October 2007 vs. March 2014 | Financial Sense
- The Fallacy Of Forward Guidance In 4 Charts | ZeroHedge
- Can the United States Rule the (Energy) World? | Financial Sense
- Mid-term Election Cycle Forecasts April Market Peak | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The States That Love Wine The Most [MAP] | Business Insider
- RANKED: The Investment Banks Raking In The Most Fees On Wall Street | Business Insider
- Here's How 2 Passengers Were Able To Board The... | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- Here's An Aerial View Of Oil Slicks... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- The Truth About The Soda Machines At South By Southwest | Business Insider