Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Uber's CEO Wants You To Know He's "Ashamed" Of Leaked Video Footage; Says He Needs To "Grow Up" | ZeroHedge
- Global Stocks, US Futures Surge, Bonds Tumble On "Presidential" Trump Speech, Hawkish Fed Speakers | ZeroHedge
- Romania's Unrevolutionary Revolution | ZeroHedge
- The Cultural Purge Will Not Be Televised | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: February 28 | ZeroHedge
- Shilling: We're Already in a Trade War with China | Financial Sense
- Trump Accuses Obama Of Being Behind Protests, Leaks | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Personal spending misses, personal income beats | Business Insider
- J.J. Abrams thinks Mark Hamill deserves an Oscar for his work in 'Star Wars:... | Business Insider
- Uber CEO Travis Kalanick apologizes for treating a driver '... | Business Insider
- The men of 'Moonlight' are the new faces of Calvin Klein's... | Business Insider
- Trump: The Oscars screwed up because 'they were focused so hard on politics' | Business Insider
- Voting rights lawyer says White House will no longer... | Business Insider
- The quest to find new drugs to treat Alzheimer'... | Business Insider