Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Unwind Of QE Means The "S&P Should Be Trading At Half Of Its Value", Deutsche Bank Warns | ZeroHedge
- "They Just Don't Want A Job" - The Fed's Grotesque "Explanation" Why 94.6 Million Are Out Of The Labor Force | ZeroHedge
- Volkswagen: A Decade Of Deception - Full Chronology | ZeroHedge
- The Farce Is Complete: Stocks Soar Most In 4 Years As US Job Market Disintegrates | ZeroHedge
- Treasury Yields Are Crashing | ZeroHedge
- The US Has Added Three Times More Foreign-Born Workers Than Native-Born Since December 2007 | ZeroHedge
- The 80/20 Rule Is Crushing The Economy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's how many people die from terrorism compared to... | Business Insider
- The Republican Party chair hinted at a major potential electoral change... | Business Insider
- Imperfect All Blacks not worried yet at World Cup | Business Insider
- ‘The Martian’ is basically ‘Cast Away’ in space — and that’s a great thing | Business Insider
- High unemployment and inflation make these 18 countries the most 'miserable... | Business Insider
- Here's why Rosetta's comet looks like a duck | Business Insider
- Guatemala mudslide leaves 56 dead, hundreds still missing... | Business Insider