Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AEGR,ALXA,SRPT,GMCR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||5.43||5.5||1.6||28.50%||November 2012|
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||2.3||16.50%||November 2012|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.63||6||0.8||14.20%||November 2012|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||32.9||33||3.9||11.90%||November 2012|
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||22.5||23||2.5||11.10%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $5.43. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.55.
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $13.97. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $5.63. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $14.8.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $32.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $22.53. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $96.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Primer For Indebted Students: Here Are Your Options | ZeroHedge
- Don Coxe: Bull Market in Bonds Now Ending - Risks Ahead | Financial Sense
- Police Takedown 101: U.S. Vs UK | ZeroHedge
- New Homes Sales Surprise Forecast | Financial Sense
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Real Retail Sales | Financial Sense
- Mario Draghi's Slippery Downward Slope | ZeroHedge
- The Happiness Industry: How Government And Big Business Manipulate Your Moods For Profit | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Putin's dream of reuniting the Russian empire is falling apart | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton is mocking herself with these 'Everyday... | Business Insider
- America's most reliable cars come from these two automakers | Business Insider
- The behind-the-scenes footage of 'Mad Max: Fury Road'... | Business Insider
- 139 grave sites, 28 trafficking camps found in Malaysia | Business Insider
- The US has a brutal group in the Women's World Cup, but it might not even matter... | Business Insider
- George Lucas was scared to death to shoot this epic scene in ‘Attack of the Clones’ | Business Insider