Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Market Breaks As Stocks Explode Higher On Algo-Triggering Headline | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Alan Greenspan: QE Failed To Help The Economy, The Unwind Will Be Painful, "Buy Gold" | ZeroHedge
- Broken Market (Worse Than 2013 Nasdaq Blackout) Just Fails To Send S&P Back Over 2,000 | ZeroHedge
- Greenspan: Price of Gold Will Rise | Financial Sense
- 5 Things To Ponder: "Spooky" Things | ZeroHedge
- You Should Be on Drugs | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Retirement Isn't a Pipe Dream -- and Here's How to Make It Happen | TheStreet.com
- Suddenly, Businesses In Europe Are Starting To Feel Better About Everything | Business Insider
- Illicit E-Commerce Sites Are Thriving On The Dark Net | Business Insider
- An Abandoned, Moss-Covered Shed Has Sold For $880,000 In London's Bonkers Housing... | Business Insider
- Steve Jobs On Departed Android Founder Andy Rubin: 'Big,... | Business Insider
- Pre-... | StreetInsider.com
- Kim Jong-un Continues Post-Absence Media Tour With Fighter Jet... | Business Insider