Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- ECB Sets Up Biggest Contrarian Play of 2015 | Financial Sense
- New Long | iBankCoin.com
- Frontrunning: January 26 | ZeroHedge
- On Money and Society: An Exclusive Interview With Steve Baker MP | Financial Sense
- GReeCe 2015... | ZeroHedge
- Greek Bonds Battered As Dip-Buyers Rescue Greek Stocks | ZeroHedge
- The Template Of Life In America Has Broken | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Top Economists Call For Greece To Get A Debt Write-Off... | Business Insider
- Australia PM in 'time warp' as British royal knighted... | Business Insider
- Here's The Secret To Staying 'In Love' For Decades | Business Insider
- This Boeing 747 Has Been Transformed Into An Awesome Hotel | Business Insider
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know Today (AAPL, BOX, MSFT, FB) | Business Insider
- ISIS Is Having A Rough Day | Business Insider
- Russian Oil Giant Rosneft To Issue $6.1 Billion Of... | Business Insider