Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trade Setups For Friday | iBankCoin.com
- China "Fixes" Pollution Problem... By Raising Danger Threshold | ZeroHedge
- USD Bid As Bonds, Bullion And Stock Bulls Battered | ZeroHedge
- Cops Per Capita: Who Has The World's Most And Least Concentrated Police Force | ZeroHedge
- Fact, Fiction, And 11 Bitcoin Myths | ZeroHedge
- Market Weakens Further on Taper Fears | Financial Sense
- Is Your Job About To Be Outsourced By A Computer (The Probability Is 47%) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Newly Public Company Violin Memory Is In Turmoil And The Lawsuits Are Flying (... | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Mortgage Rates Tick Up to Highest Levels Since September | TheStreet.com
- Apple iWatch, Square IPO: 10 Tech Predictions for 2014 | TheStreet.com
- Wall Street's 'Masters Of The Universe' Have Had It With Everyone In... | Business Insider
- RETAIL SALES ACCELERATE, CORE SALES GROWTH DOUBLES EXPECTATIONS, BIG UPWARD REVISIONS... | Business Insider
- Cisco's New Cloud Project, Code-Named 'Cloud Fusion,' Could Thwart... | Business Insider