Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bill Ackman's "Most Important Death-Blow-For-Herbalife Presentation Ever" - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Dow Drops Below 17,000; All Friday Gains Erased | ZeroHedge
- 'Archduke Ferdinand' Moment? Drums Of War Grow Louder In Ukraine and Middle East | ZeroHedge
- SSDD | ZeroHedge
- Getting a Handle on Oil | iBankCoin.com
- Is This The Best Investing Strategy For The New "Free Lunch" Normal? | ZeroHedge
- As Gaza Death Toll Surpasses 600 Israel Ambassador Says IDF Deserve Nobel Peace Prize For "Unimaginable Restraint" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Top High School Basketball Player Signs $1.2 Million Contract In China Instead Of Going To College... | Business Insider
- STOCKS FALL: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ, HAL, AAPL, HAS, AGN, VRX, HLF... | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Ukraine Rebels Hand Over Black Boxes From Downed Malaysia Passenger Jet... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the Day 07/... | StreetInsider.com
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- After-... | StreetInsider.com