Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Opportunity Grows in Indonesia as Tourism Sector Blooms | Financial Sense
- Russia Unveils First Images Of Nuclear Missile Capable Of Reaching US Soil | ZeroHedge
- "Obscene" Pentagon Folds Under Political Pressure - Stops Seeking Veteran Bonus Repayments | ZeroHedge
- How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind | ZeroHedge
- Why Aren’t Global Markets Freaking Out Over China’s Currency? | Financial Sense
- "Recession Risk Is Rising" Fast, Deutsche Bank Warns "Outlook Remains Fragile" | ZeroHedge
- Desperate? - Democrats Sue RNC Over Trump's "Rigged Election" Comments Alleging "Minority Voter Intimidation" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ingenico is launching a new platform to make mobile payments easier | Business Insider
- ISIS has come up with a new diabolical way to use drones | Business Insider
- Tesla shares spike after it beats on revenue and maintains its outlook for car deliveries... | Business Insider
- Here's how the 5 biggest media mergers turned out (T, TWX) | Business Insider
- NFL WEEK 8: Our official picks for who wins this weekend | Business Insider
- US: Iran is sending rebels in Yemen weapons to fire at the US Navy | Business Insider
- Everything Apple just announced — in under 2 minutes | Business Insider