Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Terrorist Hackers Win: Sony Pulls Release Of "The Interview" Due To Fears Of "9/11-Style Retaliation" | ZeroHedge
- This Wasn't Supposed To Happen: 7 In 10 Americans To Save, Spend Gas "Tax Cut" On Bills Not Gifts | ZeroHedge
- 17-Year-Old Trading Genius Who "Made " $72 Million Actually Just "Made It All Up" | ZeroHedge
- Broken VIX Means "Markets Getting Scared", Group One Says | ZeroHedge
- "The USDRUB Pair Will Be Discontinued Due To Recent Instability Of The Russian Ruble" | ZeroHedge
- Logistics Bellwether FedEx Misses Across The Board Despite Plunging Energy Costs | ZeroHedge
- The Russia, Mexico & OPEC Failed Agreement on Production Cuts was Short Sighted | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Russians Are Scrambling To Get Their Hands On US Dollars | Business Insider
- 'The Interview' Premiere In NYC Has Been Canceled | Business Insider
- HERE COME THE CUBAN CIGARS | Business Insider
- Snapchat CEO's Leaked Emails Tell The Truth About 'Tech... | Business Insider
- Seth Rogen And James Franco Cancel All 'Interview' Press... | Business Insider
- Green Day marks rock's new generation in Hall of Fame | Business Insider
- Get Ready For The Hack Attack That Drives A Big Company Out Of... | Business Insider