Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fed Independence Is A Joke, So Why Not Audit? | ZeroHedge
- 5 Things To Ponder: Weekend Catch Up | ZeroHedge
- 1987 Or 2015? The Gap Between Growth Expectations & Valuations Is "Ridiculous" | ZeroHedge
- Spot The Odd Vol Out | ZeroHedge
- WSJ Praises "Waiter, Bartender Recovery" While 74% Of Americans Believe They Will Work Until They Die | ZeroHedge
- Self-Aware? World's Largest Hedge Fund Shifts Strategy To Artificial Intelligence | ZeroHedge
- Prominent Politician And Putin Critic Shot To Death In Moscow; "Shocked" John Kerry Urges Russia To Bring Justice | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Leonard Nimoy said a chance meeting with a young JFK changed his life | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Amazing color photos of the Hindenburg Zeppelin show what... | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Prince William travels to tsunami-hit northeast Japan | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett defends Berkshire's conglomerate structure — and... | Business Insider