Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Middle East Proxy War: Presenting The Massive "Decisive Storm" Coalition | ZeroHedge
- Active vs. Passive Redux | Financial Sense
- The Fed's Artificial Steepening Of The Yield Curve | ZeroHedge
- Oil Surges, Gold and Silver Spike as Saudi Arabia Bombs Yemen | ZeroHedge
- AND THEN THERE WERE ZERO BIOTECH TRADERS LEFT | iBankCoin.com
- China's Demographic Destiny Disaster (In 2 Simple Charts) | ZeroHedge
- A MeSSaGe To YeMeN... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Tim Cook wants to 'raise the profile' of other Apple... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- How e-commerce is finally disrupting the $600 billion-a-year grocery industry... | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- PGA golfer made what is being called the craziest birdie in golf history | Business Insider
- How you can try the virtual reality headset making the tech industry go gaga | Business Insider
- Zayn Malik leaves British boy band One Direction | Business Insider