Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Crude Slides After API Reports Another Huge Inventory Build At Cushing | ZeroHedge
- 9 Regional Feds Pushed For Discount Rate Hike In October | ZeroHedge
- Has Deflation Been Defeated? | Financial Sense
- Q3 GDP Revised Higher As Inventories Surge Again, Personal Consumption Disappoints | ZeroHedge
- Let It Snow - California Drought Recovery Remains "Extremely Unlikely" | ZeroHedge
- Turkish Shootdown of Russian Jet: What You Need to Know | ZeroHedge
- At Least A Dozen Killed In Tunisian Capital As ISIS Targets Presidential Guards | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's what you need to know if you're worried about eating at... | Business Insider
- Meg Whitman: Dell's $67 billion acquisition of EMC is the exact opposite of... | Business Insider
- This glowing whale-size, worm-like animal is one of the weirdest things in the... | Business Insider
- An uncomfortable view on what really makes a CEO successful | Business Insider
- Report: Turkey shoots down warplane over airspace... | Business Insider
- Patriots improve to 10-0, beat Bills 20-13 | Business Insider
- The way knives are made is insanely complicated — and mesmerizing to watch. | Business Insider