Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Using Logic, Facts, & Basic Math? - You Are A "Doomer" | ZeroHedge
- The End Game Continues: Austria Repatriates Gold | ZeroHedge
- Peak Inequality: $500 Million Asking Price For LA Mansion | ZeroHedge
- Obama "Remembers" Ramadi | ZeroHedge
- Is Greece Still a Country if Someone Else Owns Its Assets? | Financial Sense
- Japan Pleases Markets With Surprise Growth | Financial Sense
- Don Coxe: Bull Market in Bonds Now Ending - Risks Ahead | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Buzzfeed hires a dozen reporters in Silicon Valley, including... | Business Insider
- Sevilla retain Europa League trophy | Business Insider
- The 25 best energy companies to work for in America | Business Insider
- Republicans rip the Clintons for their 'secret shell company' | Business Insider
- Iran nuclear talks shift into top gear | Business Insider
- German soccer team gets relegated after goalie makes diving save only to have... | Business Insider
- Adblock Plus victorious again in court versus... | Business Insider