Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold Bars Near 5-Week Dollar Low as Fed's 'Full Employment' Rate-Rise Hints Meet 'Falling Inflation' | Financial Sense
- Oil Tumbles As Market Questions Whether An OPEC Production Freeze Is Even Remotely Possible? | ZeroHedge
- Martin Armstrong Questions "Are Central Bankers Coming To A Bitter End?" | ZeroHedge
- An Academic Tries To Explain The Yield Curve, Says "Gloom" Is Irrational | ZeroHedge
- Metabolizing Japan, the World's Oldest Nation | Financial Sense
- Dallas Fed Respondent: "Sometime After The Election, Data Will Show That In 2016 The U.S. Was In Recession" | ZeroHedge
- Will The Pentagon's Effort To Whip Up War Fever Work in This Internet Era? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Comcast is starting a chocolate war | Business Insider
- Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein goes on a tweetstorm about Harambe and... | Business Insider
- How drones will change the world in the next 5 years | Business Insider
- Take Mario on a terrifying journey through the cosmos in 'No Mario's Sky' | Business Insider
- Egypt has dealt ISIS' local branch a devastating blow | Business Insider
- ANN COULTER: Here’s why Trump doesn’t have higher favorability ratings | Business Insider
- The one habit many successful people have in common, and why you should stop... | Business Insider