Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dead Cat Bounce Deja Vu Ends 2nd-Worst Week Of The Year For Stocks | ZeroHedge
- Why a Uranium Renaissance Looks Inevitable | Financial Sense
- The Economic Engine Of Europe Is Beginning To Sputter | ZeroHedge
- Breakout in Bond Yields Foreshadows Possible Economic Acceleration | Financial Sense
- What If Stocks, Bonds and Housing All Go Down Together? | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: Are Pipeline Spills A Foregone Conclusion? | ZeroHedge
- Yet Another Debt Chart That Is Not Big Enough To Fit Japan | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Google Is Planning To Build Its Own Wireless Network (GOOG) | Business Insider
- Why Sales Of New Homes Should Keep Rising For A Long Time | Business Insider
- The Porn Industry Has Already Dreamed Up Some Awesome Ideas For Google Glass (GOOG) | Business Insider
- You Can Already See The All Of The Hedge Funders Flying Out To The Hamptons Today [MAP] | Business Insider
- Climate Change Is Not Making Tornadoes Stronger | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- 8 Things To Do In New York City On Memorial Day Weekend | Business Insider