Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Russian Humanitarian Convoy Enters Ukraine Without Authorization; Ukraine Considers Move "Direct Invasion" | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- 1000s Of Firms Aren't Paying An "Obamacare Tax", IRS Audit Finds 24% Shortfall | ZeroHedge
- 50 Years Of Political Polarization In One Chart | ZeroHedge
- The Illusion Of Strength | ZeroHedge
- State Department Bans US Diplomats From Ice Bucket Challenge | ZeroHedge
- Live Feed From Ukraine Border Where Russian Humanitarian Convoy Is Being Inspected By Border Guards | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 12 Of The Most Beautiful 'Living Pictures' Ever Taken With A Lytro Camera | Business Insider
- Why 'Authentic' Smilers Are Happier, Have Better Relationships, And Live Longer | Business Insider
- SoundCloud Artists Will Finally Be Able To Make Money Off Their Own Work | Business Insider
- James Foley Gave This Chilling Talk To Journalism Students Three Years Before He Was Murdered | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- The Surprising Demographics Of Who Shops Online And On... | Business Insider
- CHENEY: Obama Would 'Rather Be On The Golf... | Business Insider