Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Happy Thanksgiving! | FundMyMutualFund
- Netherlands, Germany Have Euro Disaster Plan - Possible Return to Guilder and Mark | ZeroHedge
- Renewable Energy: Does It Need Critically Rare Materials? | Financial Sense
- Why Millennials Still Live at Home (It Isn’t Jobs, Student Debt, or Housing) | Financial Sense
- Investor Sentiment in the Balance | Financial Sense
- Russia Ruble Plunges To New Record Low After OPEC Decision | ZeroHedge
- Banking At The Box Office | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- India Is The Last BRIC Standing | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- German unemployment falls more than expected in November... | Business Insider
- Latin America TV's 'Little Shakespeare' dies at 85... | Business Insider
- Twitter's CFO Has Screwed Up ANOTHER Tweet That Looks Like A Private Message | Business Insider
- Russia's Most Powerful Oil Official Says Oil Could... | Business Insider
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World This Morning | Business Insider