Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Increased in March | Financial Sense
- Monday Humor: 33 Uncomfortably True Charts About Everyday Life | ZeroHedge
- Goodbye Biotech "Growth Bubble"; Hello Pharma "M&A Bubble" - Novartis Enters Fray With $25 Billion In Transactions | ZeroHedge
- S&P Rallies To First 5-Day Streak In 6 Months On No Volume | ZeroHedge
- Late Night Strategy for Tuesday | iBankCoin.com
- Nuclear Leads The Way | iBankCoin.com
- Mortgage Standards Are Plunging – It’s Muppet Fleecing Time All Over Again | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Woman Who Accused GitHub's Founder Of Harassment Is Slamming The... | Business Insider
- DAVID EINHORN: 'We Are Witnessing Our Second Tech Bubble In 15 Years' | Business Insider
- How to Trade Wednesday's Earnings Including Boeing, Procter & Gamble | TheStreet.com
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- STOCKS RISE: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ, NFLX) | Business Insider
- Guy Named In Newsweek Story As Bitcoin Creator Pops Up In Video Denying Its Him | Business Insider
- SATOSHI'S REVOLUTION: How The Creator Of Bitcoin May Have Stumbled Onto Something Much... | Business Insider