Covered Call Picks (AEGR,VRNG,AMRN,STSI,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AEGR||Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc||14.9||15||3||20.20%||October 2012|
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||4.3||4.5||0.7||15.10%||October 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.8||12||0.8||6.80%||October 2012|
|STSI||Star Scientific Inc||3.23||3.5||0.2||6.20%||October 2012|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||26.9||27||1.4||5.20%||October 2012|
Aegerion Pharmaceuticals Inc (AEGR) is currently trading at $14.88. Its 52 week range is between $11.75 and $17.72.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $4.3. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.81. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Star Scientific Inc (STSI) is currently trading at $3.23. Its 52 week range is between $2 and $5.05.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $26.86. Its 52 week range is between $11.5 and $41.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China and Global Market Turbulence | Financial Sense
- Chinese Roulette | ZeroHedge
- Will Uncle Sam Confiscate Gold Again? | ZeroHedge
- Why Capital Is Fleeing China: The Crushing Costs Of Systemic Corruption | ZeroHedge
- Lessons From a Failed Prediction | Financial Sense
- Bridgewater's 'All-Weather' Fund Goes Negative For 2015 After Risk-Parity's Worst Quarter Since Lehman | ZeroHedge
- End Of Cheap Fossil Fuels Could Have More Severe Consequences Than Thought | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- FED'S LACKER: 'It's time to align our monetary policy with... | Business Insider
- Boykin, No. 2 TCU outlast Minnesota 23-17 | Business Insider
- Google is rolling out an update that will make your inner hypochondriac rejoice... | Business Insider
- Global stocks gain; Europe's central bank promises... | Business Insider
- The euro is getting smoked (SPY, DJI, IXIC, USD, TLT) | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Islamists dominate cities in Morocco local elections | Business Insider