Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Abenomics in Review: Yen, Inflation, Exports, Imports | Financial Sense
- China Platinum Imports Rise – Bullish Platinum and Palladium Fundamentals | ZeroHedge
- Don’t Tell Mom the Hedge Fund Manager’s Dead | iBankCoin.com
- Will Wednesday’s Fed Minutes Spark Sell-Off? | Financial Sense
- Four Signs That We're Back in Dangerous Bubble Territory | Financial Sense
- Are Covert Operations Underway in the Global Currency Wars? | Financial Sense
- Target Misses, Good Weather Blamed | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Moms Are Power Users Of Social Media On Mobile | Business Insider
- CHART OF THE DAY: Square Is On Track To Process $15 Billion In Payments This Year | Business Insider
- Japan Has Its Own Reasons For Crashing | Business Insider
- Kass: Are Valuations Peaking? | TheStreet.com
- It Sounds Like Nick Denton Has Radical Changes In... | Business Insider
- Your Body Is Teeming With Fungus | Business Insider
- Anonymous Actually Intimidated The US Government Into Shutting... | Business Insider