Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- If The Public Shouldn't Have Them, Why Does The IRS Need AR-15s? | ZeroHedge
- The Fed's Rate Hike Plans Are Now "In Tatters" - What Wall Street Thinks | ZeroHedge
- COMEX Registered Silver Now More Leveraged Than Gold | ZeroHedge
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index: Decrease in May | Financial Sense
- "Today Is The Appetizer For Monday" | ZeroHedge
- 2016 Is the Year of Cheap Renewables, Not Oil | Financial Sense
- Not So Fast: Scotland And Northern Ireland May Have Brexit Veto Rights | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 4 things to find out before you buy a fixer-upper | Business Insider
- A former Army sniper shares a trick for staying focused | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- How lesbians became Subaru's 'perfect customers' | Business Insider
- Financial Times stresses important of Google AMP... | Business Insider
- The European Parliament wants Britain to exit as soon as... | Business Insider
- How NetApp's CEO and his twin brother won the Valley after they got up and... | Business Insider