Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ahoy, Polloi | Financial Sense
- Has The ECB Run Out Of Willing Bonds Sellers On The Long End? | ZeroHedge
- Texas Republican Blasts Governor's "Embarrassing" & Irrational Response To Jade Helm | ZeroHedge
- Legal Corruption In The US: Meet The 1% Of The 1% Who Drive American Politics | ZeroHedge
- Why Deflation Is Unlikely | ZeroHedge
- Highlights of the 2015 Annual Energy Outlook | Financial Sense
- Goldman Explains The "Self-Fulfilling Loop" Driving Bund Yields | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A shocking development happened to one of the main characters on 'Mad Men' last... | Business Insider
- Red tape delays Nepal quake disaster aid | Business Insider
- World kept guessing over name of Britain's baby... | Business Insider
- A crazy photo of private jets flooding the Las Vegas airport... | Business Insider
- MillerCoors is being slammed for marketing Blue Moon as craft beer... | Business Insider
- Dominant Chelsea three points from glory | Business Insider
- This is the biggest problem people have when they start meditating | Business Insider