Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The News In Pictures | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Warns Tesla Will Need To Raise At Least Another $6 Billion | ZeroHedge
- BofA Says Bearish Bonds Means Bullish Greenback | ZeroHedge
- Bubble Forming With Leveraged Buyouts | Financial Sense
- Exponential: Ebola Cases Now Double Every 3 Weeks; CDC Warns As Much As Half A Million May Be Infected Soon | ZeroHedge
- The Scotland Referendum: Who Voted How And Why? | ZeroHedge
- Scottish "No" Vote Pushes S&P To New Record High; Cable, Yen Roundtrip On Quad-Witching Alibaba Day | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Barclays Is Calling It: The ECB Is About To Finally Join The QE Party | Business Insider
- China troops withdraw from India border as Xi visit ends | Business Insider
- Islamic State ordered 'demonstration killings... | Business Insider
- Polls open in Scottish independence vote | Business Insider
- SETH KLARMAN: 'Investors Have Been Seduced Into Feeling Good' | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Stocks Retreat From Records Following Alibaba Debut | TheStreet.com