Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Rocky Horror Picture Show | Financial Sense
- No More "Dog Dung Vacuums" As SkyMall Files For Bankruptcy | ZeroHedge
- Global QE and the Gold Price | Financial Sense
- De-Dollarization Complete: Iran Abandons US Dollar In Foreign Trade | ZeroHedge
- Crude, Copper, & Euro Currency Crushed By King Dollar's Best Week In Over 3 Years | ZeroHedge
- "QE Benefits Mostly The Wealthy" JPMorgan Admits, And Lists 8 Ways ECB's QE Will Hurt Everyone Else | ZeroHedge
- Russia May Be Forced Into Production Cuts Says Deputy PM | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Ad On Twitter Made All The Women In Our Office Furious | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- The Two Things That Really Move Markets (DB, EUR, USD) | Business Insider
- DOW FALLS 140, UPS GETS CRUSHED: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPY, QQQ, TLT, IWM, USO... | Business Insider
- I Lived In A Luxury Van For A Week, And It Was Almost As Good As A Real Apartment | Business Insider
- 11 Things Every Professional Woman Should Keep At Her Desk | Business Insider
- Sensation as Chelsea, Man City humbled in FA Cup | Business Insider