Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Mark Douglas: Mind Over Market | iBankCoin.com
- Q1 Earnings in Focus | Financial Sense
- U.S. to Foreign Officials: Stop Buying U.S. Treasuries | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap April 16, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Ukraine "De-escalation" Voided As Pro-Russia Militia Refuse To Vacate Occupied Buildings | ZeroHedge
- Does the U.S. Have the Highest Corporate Tax Rates in the World? | Financial Sense
- Bankers are Behind the Wars | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- PAYMENTS INSIDER: PayPal On NFC — Wal-Mart Remittances — Worldpay... | Business Insider
- Here Are The Weirdest Things You Can Buy On Alibaba... | Business Insider
- It's Time To Stop Being Such A Restaurant Snob | Business Insider
- 9 Incredibly Useful Russian Words With No English Equivalent | Business Insider
- TaskRabbit Will Let You Spend Half An Hour With A Bunny Today | Business Insider
- Many More NFC-Enabled Mobile Phones Will Be Shipped... | Business Insider
- Here Is What You Get For $50 On iAd, Apple's Mobile Ad System That Used To... | Business Insider