Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The NSA's Technotyranny: One Nation Under Surveillance | ZeroHedge
- China Outlines New "Offensive" Military Strategy; Builds Lighthouses In Disputed Waters | ZeroHedge
- Investor Opinions Have Become Extremely Uniform, and That's Not Good | Financial Sense
- Trannies Tumble As Death Cross Triggers | ZeroHedge
- This Is How Much Of Your Life The US Has Spent At War | ZeroHedge
- Meet The Veteran Who’s Been Reduced To Peddling For Change Online To Buy A New Leg | ZeroHedge
- Near-Record Wage Spike Stabilizes Richmond Fed Manufacturing Survey | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The founder accused of bribing customers to get a $25 million bonus just told his... | Business Insider
- Putin is going to extreme lengths to hide Russian soldiers who died fighting... | Business Insider
- Kosovans mourn rebels killed in Macedonia shootout | Business Insider
- NBA's Harden leads Rockets win, Curry OK after scary... | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot... | StreetInsider.com
- David Duchovny says new 'X-Files' script brought him to tears | Business Insider
- Buzzfeed hires a dozen reporters in Silicon Valley, including... | Business Insider