Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- WHeRe IN THe WoRLD IS RoN KLaiN? | ZeroHedge
- How To Be A "Social Media Superstar"? Kim Kardashian Explains | ZeroHedge
- How Money is Made & Printed | iBankCoin.com
- And The Biggest Beneficiary Of QE3 Is... | ZeroHedge
- Ebola Virus Is More Likely to Spread through Aerosols – and Survive Longer – When It’s Cold | ZeroHedge
- The Stunning Difference Between "Income Expectations" And Reality | ZeroHedge
- Fireworks Fly As Peter Schiff Warns "An Economy That Lives By QE, Dies By QE" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- White House Officials Say John Kerry Is Lost In Space Like Sandra Bullock In 'Gravity... | Business Insider
- Rocket Loaded With 5,000 Pounds Of Cargo Explodes Seconds After Launch | Business Insider
- Here's How To (Legally) Download Taylor Swift's... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- This Fiat Crossover Finished Last On Consumer Reports'... | Business Insider
- 3 Biggest Takeaways From Twitter's Third-Quarter Earnings | TheStreet.com
- There Are 48 Billion Reasons Why Retailers Are Going To War With Apple (AAPL, WMT) | Business Insider