Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Chart Obama Does Not Want Merkel To See | ZeroHedge
- The Market Doesn’t Know How Stupid You Are | iBankCoin.com
- Consumer Sentiment Bounces Back for August | Financial Sense
- The Trillion Dollar Bet | iBankCoin.com
- THE 1st ANNUAL iBANKCOIN LOTTERY WINNER IS… | iBankCoin.com
- Will Ukraine Retake the East From Separatists? | Financial Sense
- Russia Slams Barroso Over Leaked "Take Kiev In 2 Weeks" Comments, Revises Military Doctrine | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Man United agree Falcao loan deal - reports | Business Insider
- Wozniacki sends Sharapova out of US Open, Federer... | Business Insider
- Family Dollar Takeover: The Ball Is in Dollar General’s Court | TheStreet.com
- Workers At Tesco, Britain's Most Disastrous... | Business Insider
- Apparent Hollywood hack attack nabs stars' nude pix | Business Insider
- Scotland hosts World Haggis Eating championship | Business Insider
- Apple Spies On The Media 'Using Anonymized Social Media Accounts' (AAPL) | Business Insider