Covered Call Picks (VRNG,AMRN,ZNGA,ISIS,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VRNG||Vringo Inc||3.19||3.5||0.8||25.10%||November 2012|
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||12||12||1.8||15.00%||November 2012|
|ZNGA||Zynga Inc||2.84||3||0.3||10.20%||November 2012|
|ISIS||Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc||14||15||1.4||10.00%||November 2012|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||4.7||5||0.5||9.60%||November 2012|
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.19. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.99. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $2.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.66 and $15.91.
Isis Pharmaceuticals Inc (ISIS) is currently trading at $14.04. Its 52 week range is between $6.25 and $15.61.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $4.7. Its 52 week range is between $4 and $31.14.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Drone War Is On: Australian Startup Beats Google, Amazon | Financial Sense
- Opportunity Grows in Indonesia as Tourism Sector Blooms | Financial Sense
- Reuters Trial Balloon: ECB "Almost Certain" To Keep Buying Bonds Beyond March | ZeroHedge
- Evolution Of An Investor (A Peek Into My Mind) | ZeroHedge
- Forget OPEC The Oil Market Is Rebalancing (Video) | ZeroHedge
- "The Fed Failed..." And That Changes Everything | ZeroHedge
- Project Veritas Video Reveals Who Was Really Behind "Mitt Romney's 47% Video" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Over 100 billion pounds of food is wasted each year in the... | Business Insider
- Apple has officially announced the new MacBook Pro (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Inside Hillary Clinton's evolution from Girl Scout to presidential nominee | Business Insider
- Syrian ISIS suspect charged with scouting Berlin attack... | Business Insider
- Indian call centers have scammed more than 15,000 people in... | Business Insider
- Luxury retailers are abandoning New York's Fifth Avenue | Business Insider
- What psychology actually says about the tragically social-media obsessed... | Business Insider