Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- ISM Biggest Miss Since January: Orders Tumble, Employment Slides, Backlogs Contract, Construction Spending Negative | ZeroHedge
- I Like My Coffee Like I Like My Ebola… | iBankCoin.com
- Spilling Over | iBankCoin.com
- CDC Releases Q&A On Ebola In America As Rumors Swirl Of Second US Case | ZeroHedge
- Treasury Curve Roundtrips To Flattest Since S&P's "666" Intraday Lows | ZeroHedge
- All Eyes on Kenya: The Next Big Oil Exporter | Financial Sense
- Hong Kong Protesters Give Wednesday Deadline For Reform As Chinese Army Watches From Above | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- NFL Players Actually Appear To Be Getting Smaller | Business Insider
- Nadal returns in style, Djokovic wins in China | Business Insider
- Ai Weiwei meditates on freedom in Alcatraz show | Business Insider
- Wall Street's Biggest Banks Have A Huge Diversity Problem — And They're... | Business Insider
- Nishikori powers to victory in opening Tokyo match | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- THE CONNECTED-HOME: Forecasts And Growth Trends For The Leading 'Internet Of... | Business Insider