Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Plunges Most In Three Months, Pushing "Black Friday" Into The Red For Global Stocks | ZeroHedge
- Do Not Panic America - Elite FBI Teams Are Tracking At least 48 "High Risk" ISIS Suspects In The US | ZeroHedge
- Will Low Oil Prices Increase Internal Instability In Conflict Countries? | ZeroHedge
- How The Scots Welcome 'Visitors' | ZeroHedge
- 800 Shotguns Headed To Belgium From Turkey Seized In Italy | ZeroHedge
- Obama Put Taiwan on ISIS Radar | ZeroHedge
- Jeez! What Ever Happened To The "Free World"? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- We tried the 'crazy wrap thing' people are using to get in shape superfast... | Business Insider
- Poland will not extradite Roman Polanski to the US | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (TWTR, DMGT,... | Business Insider
- After Paris, US political shift on privacy vs. security | Business Insider
- Brothers-in-arms for Britain against Belgium | Business Insider
- Gunman in custody after attack at Planned Parenthood... | Business Insider
- The Latest: Some Ugandans spent 20 hours awaiting pope | Business Insider