Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Energy Stocks: Where’s the Bottom? | Financial Sense
- Lazy Greeks At Fault?? These Two Charts Suggest Otherwise! | ZeroHedge
- 2 Foot "Quad-Copter" Crashed On White House Grounds | ZeroHedge
- The Slick Lies Of Obama's "Robin Hood" Economy (In 2 Awkward Cartoons) | ZeroHedge
- UTC Just Missed And Cut Guidance... And Why This Is Great News For Its Shareholders | ZeroHedge
- Why Oil Prices Will Be "Lower For Longer" In 3 Simple Charts | ZeroHedge
- 2015: The Year of Default | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Premier League trio avoid fresh FA Cup shocks | Business Insider
- How A $12 Million Monet Painting Was Fully Restored After A Man Punched It | Business Insider
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ, MSFT) | Business Insider
- Anti-austerity Syriza wins Greek election: exit polls | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Vimeo CEO Offers a Home and Profits to Sundance Filmmakers | TheStreet.com
- Warren Buffett's Top 10 Dividend-Paying Stocks for 2015 | TheStreet.com