Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Whi(t)ney Tilson Does It Again | ZeroHedge
- DOE, Intel Work to Keep ‘Moore’s Law’ From Expiring | Financial Sense
- After Bubble Pops, Saudi Arabia Opens Stock Market To Foreign "Greater Fool" Investors | ZeroHedge
- A Great Period of Annihilation | iBankCoin.com
- "Authenticity Is As Rare As A Unicorn In Today's Politically-Motivated Markets" | ZeroHedge
- The Rot Within, Part I: Our Ponzi Economy | ZeroHedge
- Japanese Exports Tumble For 2nd Month In A Row, Worst Since Abenomics Began | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These Are The Simple Fixes That Could Help Online Retailers... | Business Insider
- How A French Soccer Club Made A $50 Million Profit Off World Cup Phenom James Rodríguez | Business Insider
- It's Obvious That An Independent Scotland Just Won't Be... | Business Insider
- How Your Diet Is Stressing You Out | Business Insider
- Bill Ackman Has Already Retracted A Claim From His Herbalife Presentation (HLF) | Business Insider
- Tesla Will Temporarily Stop Making The Model S To Gear Up For Its New SUV | Business Insider
- Smart TVs Are On Pace To Take Over The Entire TV Market | Business Insider