Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- India Gold Demand Surges 450% and Bank of Russia Demand At 15 Year High | ZeroHedge
- Are You DTF? | iBankCoin.com
- Equity Levitation Stumbles After Second ECB Denial Of Corporate Bond Buying, Report Of 11 Stress Test Failures | ZeroHedge
- The Canadian Patriot Act Arrives: Ottawa To Give Security Agencies More "Detention And Surveillance" Powers | ZeroHedge
- The Recent Liquidation Avalanche As Explained By Dan Loeb, And Why He Is Back To Shorting Stocks Again | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Sachs Is Buying Carl Icahn's "High Yield Bond Bubble" | ZeroHedge
- A Furious Albert Edwards Lashes Out At Central Bankers: "Will These Morons Ever Learn?" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Markets Are Sinking | Business Insider
- Russia takes bite out of McDonald's with US... | Business Insider
- Senior US Officials Describe The 'Big... | Business Insider
- Kroger Is Suddenly Whole Foods' Biggest Threat | Business Insider
- The NBA's Plan To Stop Tanking Fell Apart At The Last Minute | Business Insider
- What Gets You Excited About Buying A Car? Please Take Our Short Survey | Business Insider