Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "What The F**k Was That?" | ZeroHedge
- Why Swap Spreads Are Suddenly Blowing Out And Why This Is Good For Treasuries | ZeroHedge
- Peak Irony: Mexico Wants To Build The Wall To Stop Illegal Immigration | ZeroHedge
- An Upside Down World | Financial Sense
- China Is Building Its Future on Credit | Financial Sense
- Raoul Pal: "The Era Of Doing Nothing And Getting Paid For It Is Over" | ZeroHedge
- Martin Armstrong: Throw Out the Fundamentals—Negative Rates Could Push the Dow Up to 40,000 | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 7 one-minute psychological tricks that will make you more successful | Business Insider
- Day 2 of the Democratic convention provided some of the most powerful testimony yet... | Business Insider
- A Silicon Valley banker says this is the most surprising... | Business Insider
- 11 optical illusions your brain simply can't handle | Business Insider
- 6 ways to eat in Stockholm on a budget | Business Insider
- Understand fintech - Amazon's next possible frontier - with this report... | Business Insider
- Marissa Mayer is still more popular than any past Yahoo CEO (YHOO) | Business Insider