Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- I SaiD NoT NYeT...NoT NYeT... | ZeroHedge
- White House Accuses Russia Of Painting Military Vehicles White; Merkel Agrees "Actions Represent Dangerous Escalation" | ZeroHedge
- Russia Releases Video Of Massive Army Drill To "Contain Armed Conflict In Imaginary State"; Schedules 2 More | ZeroHedge
- WiNGS OF THe DoVe... | ZeroHedge
- The Market Reacts To (Then Reads) Janet Yellen's Speech | ZeroHedge
- Stay on Board | Financial Sense
- And Another Reason Why Bonds Just Refuse To Sell Off | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Worst Case Scenario For The Bond Market | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- ISIS Banned From Controversial Video Site LiveLeak After James Foley... | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Maersk Ship Sets World Record For Most Cargo | Business Insider
- Watch Japanese Artists Paint Dragons With A Single Brushstroke | Business Insider
- 4 Reasons Sears Is Headed Straight For Death | Business Insider