Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Saxobank CIO Explains "The New Nothingness" | ZeroHedge
- Being There | Financial Sense
- Machines Shift To "Spoofing" Soybeans & OatsToday | ZeroHedge
- The View at 30,000 Feet | Financial Sense
- The Virtual Immunity Of The Well-Connected: Gen. Petraeus Edition | ZeroHedge
- Caught On Tape: Dramatic Video & Images From The Mount Everest Avalanche | ZeroHedge
- Capital Controls Arrive: Greece Begins Confiscating Deposits Of "Small Debtors" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Italy looks to Milan Expo for taste of recovery | Business Insider
- Greek PM sees EU-IMF loan deal by early May | Business Insider
- This Wall Street legend controls more than $50 billion. Insiders worry he's trying to do too many things | Business Insider
- The one thing that didn't go well in Apple's earnings report, explained in one... | Business Insider
- It looks like iPhone sales in China are going to be bigger than in the US (AAPL)... | Business Insider
- All signs point to Apple announcing a monster earnings report (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Why Google+ failed, according to Google insiders (GOOG) | Business Insider