Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Top Factors Undermining Any Oil Price Recovery | ZeroHedge
- It’s All About the Fed Today | Financial Sense
- How A Chinese Farmer Lost More Than Everything Trading Stocks | ZeroHedge
- There May Be Hope For The U.S. Yet: Caitlyn Jenner's Reality Show "No Ratings Bonanza" | ZeroHedge
- BuY THe PeoPLe'S DiP! | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: July 28 | ZeroHedge
- Obama: "I Think I’m A Pretty Good President. I Think If I Ran Again, I Could Win" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why you might have to wait for your Windows 10 upgrade — and how to get it right now if... | Business Insider
- GM will spend $1 billion in India to double market its... | Business Insider
- Facebook just revealed its genius plan to make money from Messenger | Business Insider
- Air strikes and clashes shatter Yemen truce | Business Insider
- The winner of ABC's 'The Bachelorette... | Business Insider
- Stocks are higher (SPY, DJI, IXIC, USO, WTI, OIL, VDE, BNO, BP, UPS, F, PFI) | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek