Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A Useful Prep-Sheet On Syria For Media Propagandists | ZeroHedge
- Manifesto - The Values of Value Investing | ZeroHedge
- What Could Reverse the Global Market Decline? | Financial Sense
- China's President Confirms Practice Of Moving Official Reserve Assets To Other Entities In China | ZeroHedge
- Punishing Cash: US ATM Withdrawal Fees Soar To All Time High | ZeroHedge
- Global Investors "Panic" Most Since 2012 | ZeroHedge
- Jeff Saut on Dow Theory Sell Signal, Biotech Breakdown, and More | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 9 weirdest businesses in Britain where you don't pay VAT | Business Insider
- Netanyahu: Israel 'in fight to death against... | Business Insider
- School hazing gets stern penalty in military-ruled... | Business Insider
- Student debt squeezing parents and children... | Business Insider
- Winning ugly at the World Cup, suits Ireland's Schmidt | Business Insider
- Nationals fire manager Matt Williams, coaching staff | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek