Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- It Cost Ukraine's Government $4 Billion To Get Re-Elected | ZeroHedge
- Judge Rules Obama's Abuse Of Executive Orders Is "Unconstitutional" | ZeroHedge
- Viewing Russia From the Inside | Financial Sense
- The Biggest Economic Story Going Into 2015 Is Not Oil | ZeroHedge
- Two Months After Saying "Deflation Isn't Going To Happen" ECB Warns "Negative Inflation" Is Coming | ZeroHedge
- Meet Joe Lewis - The $200 Million "British Madoff" | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap Dec 18, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Irresponsible' non-OPEC output behind oil... | Business Insider
- Villarreal climb after seventh straight win | Business Insider
- Here's Where People Are Using Apple Pay The Most (AAPL) | Business Insider
- 15 Cars Anyone Would Love To Get For The Holidays | Business Insider
- Report: Sony Plans To Release 'The Interview'... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Microsoft Plans A Virtual Reality Headset For Xbox One... | Business Insider