Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Will Your Bank Look Like 5 Years From Now? | Financial Sense
- Jim Rogers Cautions "Be Prepared, Be Worried, And Be Careful... This Is Going To End Badly" | ZeroHedge
- What Does It Take To Be Middle Class? | ZeroHedge
- Citi: Bitcoin Could Look Attractive To Reserve Managers As A Complement To Gold | ZeroHedge
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- Quiet Overnight Trading Expected To Make Way For Volatile Session | ZeroHedge
- Gold Edging Closer to Long-Term Bearish; Beware of Blind Spots! | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 2 Million More Passwords For Facebook, Google, Twitter, Other Sites Were Stolen And... | Business Insider
- Hot Job-Hunting Site Glassdoor Raises Another $50 Million And Plans To Hire... | Business Insider
- Retail Sales... | Business Insider
- Connecticut Girl Finds 2-Inch Nail Baked Into Cookie From Panera Bread | Business Insider
- Photos Of Australian Athletes Training For The Winter Olympics... | Business Insider
- 10 Tech Things You Need To Know This Morning | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek