Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Putin To Western Elites: Play-Time Is Over | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Decouple From Bonds, Ramp To Pre-FOMC Levels | ZeroHedge
- Japan Reacts to Worsening Fukushima Disaster By ... Reopening Nuclear Plant Next to Active Volcano Which Is About to Blow | ZeroHedge
- Fed's Kocherlakota Explains Why He Wants Moar | ZeroHedge
- Buyers Focus On Dollars, 30 Year After Fed, Stocks Shrug | ZeroHedge
- I Pledge Allegiance... | ZeroHedge
- Another Purchase Of HCLP For $44.48 | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Taiwan tycoon faces more charges in food safety scandal | Business Insider
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know Today (GOOG, AAPL, YHOO, GPRO, LNKD,... | Business Insider
- Check Out The New Boeing Dreamliner Richard Branson... | Business Insider
- White House Officials Say John Kerry Is Lost In Space Like Sandra Bullock In 'Gravity... | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- US nurse bikes away, despite Ebola quarantine | Business Insider