Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Democrats Told "Don't Mention 'Economic Recovery' - It's A Political Loser" | ZeroHedge
- Hyper-Sensitive Illinois Mayor Orders Police Raid Over Parody Twitter Account | ZeroHedge
- BP Manager In Charge of Cleaning Up the Gulf Oil Spill Dumped BP Stock Before the Severity of Spill Was Discovered | ZeroHedge
- 5 Reasons for a Q2 Decline in U.S. Interest Rates | Financial Sense
- You’re Swimming with Sharks Now | iBankCoin.com
- A Transaction Fee Might Save Capital Markets... & Protect Us From Skynet! | Financial Sense
- What Collateral Shortage? Collectible Cars Used As "Hard Assets" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Airbnb Takes New Funding At A $10 Billion Valuation | Business Insider
- Here's How The Taxi Industry Can Save Itself From Uber | Business Insider
- NATO COMMANDER: Ukraine 'Activists' Are Clearly A... | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- HOUSE OF THE DAY: Billionaire Philanthropist Sells His Central Park West... | Business Insider
- VIDEO INSIDER: 'Protect My... | Business Insider
- Here's How To Greet People Around The World | Business Insider