Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Saudi Arabia Reacts To Sept. 11 Bill Veto Override | ZeroHedge
- Who Won the Debate? My View and Some Surprising Polls | Financial Sense
- Project Mayhem - Man Calmly Enters Apple Store And Crushes Every iPhone In Sight With A Ball Bearing | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Are Crashing - Led By Banks | ZeroHedge
- Yellen Says Fed Buying Stocks Is "A Good Thing To Think About" And Could Help In A Downturn | ZeroHedge
- Watch This Key Level | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: September 29 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Everything you need to know about the Ryder Cup — golf’s most fun team event | Business Insider
- Geno Smith is still 'pissed' at the Jets for re-signing Ryan... | Business Insider
- Stephen Curry showed off a clever new move in training camp,... | Business Insider
- Infiniti just showed us what its next generation of SUVs will look like | Business Insider
- 'Shark Tank' investor Barbara Corcoran weighs in on fellow real... | Business Insider
- How I feed my family of 8 for less than $1 per meal — all year long | Business Insider
- This former lawyer quit his office job to revolutionize how men buy luxury... | Business Insider