Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Visualizing The Global War On Cash | ZeroHedge
- President Trump's Inaugural Address Was The Shortest Since Carter | ZeroHedge
- Bernier’s radical bid to stabilize consumer prices (and make the CAD good as gold) | ZeroHedge
- Stocks, Peso Slump As Trump Warns "We're Transferring Power From Washington To 'The People'" | ZeroHedge
- Republicans, Democrats, and Voodoo Economics | ZeroHedge
- Donald Trump, Betsy DeVos and School Choice | Financial Sense
- Gundlach: The Biggest Risk to the Current Rally Is Donald Trump | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Watch the Obamas welcome the Trumps to the White House | Business Insider
- It's National Cheese Lover's Day — here’s how to take your fondue to... | Business Insider
- Animated map shows the 143 counties where half of the US lives | Business Insider
- Amazon has outflanked Alphabet, Microsoft and even Apple... | Business Insider
- There's an easy way to tell if you're talking to an expert or a faker | Business Insider
- Where the Obamas are heading to get away this weekend | Business Insider
- TRUMP'S ENERGY PLAN: 'We must take advantage of the estimated $50... | Business Insider