Covered Call Picks (GRPN,VRNG,AMRN,NAV,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||11.3||12||1.6||14.10%||Sep-12|
|NAV||Navistar International Corp||25.2||26||2.7||10.50%||Sep-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||21.4||22||1.7||7.80%||Sep-12|
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $6.93. Its 52 week range is between $6.35 and $31.14.
Vringo Inc (VRNG) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is between $0.68 and $5.45.
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $11.34. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.96.
Navistar International Corp (NAV) is currently trading at $25.17. Its 52 week range is $20.07 and $48.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $21.41. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $107.99.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Are Weak Earnings Signaling Recession Ahead? | Financial Sense
- Artist's Impression Of Obama's Middle East Policy | ZeroHedge
- Annaly CEO: Central Bankers Are Witch Doctors, Demands "Return To Market-Driven Pricing" | ZeroHedge
- OPEC’s Influence Has Long Been Exaggerated | Financial Sense
- Did the Dollar Get its Groove Back? | ZeroHedge
- NYSE Margin Debt Declined in January | Financial Sense
- WSJ Praises "Waiter, Bartender Recovery" While 74% Of Americans Believe They Will Work Until They Die | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A new bill in New York could give whistleblowers a big cut of recovered money | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- Chelsea beat Spurs 2-0 to lift League Cup | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Here's your first look at Samsung's new phones: The Galaxy S 6 and... | Business Insider
- Phone recordings reveal Bill O'Reilly may have... | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett defends Berkshire's conglomerate structure — and... | Business Insider