Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Futures Rebound On Latest Chinese Intervention, Renewed Hopes For "Moar From Mario" | ZeroHedge
- "It Is All Rather Scary" - Chinese Debt Snowball Gaining Momentum | ZeroHedge
- Energy Storage Tech Finally Starting to Compete With the Grid | Financial Sense
- Black Friday Total Sales Crash 10% (Despite Rise In Online Spend) | ZeroHedge
- Kurt Kallaus: Still No Recession; Expect Mild Acceleration in 2016 | Financial Sense
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Real Personal Income for October | Financial Sense
- Inside The ISIS Propaganda Machine: An Up-Close Look At A Militant Media Strategy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Commonwealth seeks legally binding climate deal in Paris | Business Insider
- Chips, electronic devices boost Japan's factory output | Business Insider
- RBS and Standard Chartered came close to failing a... | Business Insider
- World leaders in Paris for climate-rescue summit | Business Insider
- 'Spotlight' tops Gotham Independent Film Awards | Business Insider
- Leaders of warming Earth meet in Paris to cut emissions | Business Insider
- Amazon gives drone details, still mum on timeline | Business Insider