Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fed Comments Should Spur Positivity | Financial Sense
- 44,107,000 Reasons Why NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell Has "Not Considered Resigning" | ZeroHedge
- Avoid the Clown Show | iBankCoin.com
- Slippery When Wet | iBankCoin.com
- Last Stand Approaching for Gold | Financial Sense
- Scotland Says "No" - Pound Remains Vulnerable To Currency Crisis | ZeroHedge
- Central Banks Biggest Concern Should Be Market Stability | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Egyptian breaks record for world's deepest scuba dive | Business Insider
- OBAMA: 'We Welcome' The Result Of The Scottish Independence Vote | Business Insider
- Italy celebrates 80 years of national treasure Sophia... | Business Insider
- The 20 Colleges That Make The Most Money On Sports | Business Insider
- 5 Stocks Under $10 Making Big Moves Higher | TheStreet.com
- China win first gold of the 2014 Asiad | Business Insider
- Insane Lines For The iPhone 6 From Around The World | Business Insider