Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- NYSE Margin Debt Drifts Higher | Financial Sense
- How Much Further Can Gold Fall? | Financial Sense
- Corporate Profits and Market Peaks - Are We There Yet? | Financial Sense
- Asian Stocks Are Sliding Following Data Disappointments Across The Region | ZeroHedge
- Study Finds Treated Fracking Wastewater Still Too Toxic | ZeroHedge
- Did The Winter War Just Begin? Russian Gas Supplies To Europe Plunge 15%, Ukraine Transit Slashed 54% | ZeroHedge
- Contained? Dallas Hospital Discharged Sick Ebola Patient 2 Days Before Isolation | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Fashion Brands Are Making Bigger Pockets On Their... | Business Insider
- Kobe Bryant Took Another Jab At Former Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni | Business Insider
- After Missing Targets, Cisco Cuts John Chambers Pay To $16.5 Million (CSCO) | Business Insider
- Why The Guy Behind The Most Popular Smartwatch In The World Isn't Scared Of... | Business Insider
- US Manufacturing Activity Stays Strong (DIA, SPY, QQQ, TLT) | Business Insider
- Here's What Happened When An Employee Told Steve Jobs Something Couldn... | Business Insider
- Here's Why One Big Money... | Business Insider