Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ukraine Reignites - 1 Killed, 50 Injured After Grenade Attack On Parliament | ZeroHedge
- The Financial Times Joins the "Ban Physical Cash" Chorus | ZeroHedge
- The Oil Volatility Farce Continues: Oil Now Surging As OPEC Hints At "Fair Price" Talks | ZeroHedge
- Jackson Hole Post-Mortem: "Door Still Fully Open To September Lift Off" | ZeroHedge
- Brazil Throws In Towel On Budget; Citi Compares Fiscal Outlook To "Bloody Terror Film" | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Stocks Slump After "Arrest-Fest", Yuan Strengthens Most In 9 Months, Goldman Cuts Outlook | ZeroHedge
- Dow Futures Plunge 240 Points As Oil Drops 4% Ahead Of China PMI | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Hillary Clinton’s support in a key, early state is suddenly crumbling | Business Insider
- The super-simple way to determine if you are getting enough sleep | Business Insider
- AP Source: Indians president Shapiro leaving for Blue Jays... | Business Insider
- Gold hunters blocked from site of alleged Nazi gold train... | Business Insider
- Amazon and Microsoft just scored a huge $100 million... | Business Insider
- Here’s the full speech Kanye West gave at the VMAs that everyone is talking about | Business Insider
- ICC trial of Congolese 'Terminator' warlord to start | Business Insider