Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Strong 2 Year Auction Prices At Highest Yield For 2015 | ZeroHedge
- Crude Craters After API Reports "Disappointing" Inventory Build | ZeroHedge
- Secular Trends in New Residential Building Permits and Housing Starts | Financial Sense
- Global Youth Unemployment Hits 35 Million As Recent Grads Lean On Parents | ZeroHedge
- Key Iraq War Architect: “Our Objective Should Be a New Sunni State Out of the Western Part Of Iraq, the Eastern Part of Syria” | ZeroHedge
- Why "Average Joe" Will Never Do Well In The Stock Market | ZeroHedge
- Robots on Verge of Replacing Human Anesthesiologists | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- There's an interesting theory going around that Apple is prepping the way for Jony... | Business Insider
- Now there's a program that lets novices hijack other people's... | Business Insider
- Former Apple CEO John Sculley admits Steve Jobs never... | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- Scientific proof that boarding by zones is a stupid system — and why airlines still... | Business Insider
- 'Dementor' wasp, giant stick insect among new... | Business Insider
- Deutsche Bank thinks Ocado could be... | Business Insider