Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Oil Headwinds Become Tailwinds | Financial Sense
- Here Are The "21 Charts That Keep The Bulls Up At Night" According To BofA | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: August 23 | ZeroHedge
- The Answer To Whether The Oil Market Has Rebalanced | ZeroHedge
- WSJ: "The Clintons Really Do Think They Can Get Away With Anything" | ZeroHedge
- Artist's Impression Of Obama's Louisiana Visit | ZeroHedge
- Meet The Hedge Fund Puppetmaster Behind The US Presidential Election | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Economists say Hillary Clinton and Gary Johnson would do a... | Business Insider
- 7 weird dog behaviors and what they mean | Business Insider
- This is how Taco Bell, Starbucks, and other fast-food chains are... | Business Insider
- The 7 best books on negotiation | Business Insider
- 7 different teams received first-place votes in the first AP college football poll | Business Insider
- Donald Trump's campaign... | Business Insider
- 9 things incredibly attractive people do | Business Insider