Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Iran Forces Open Fire On, Seize "Trespassing"US Cargo Ship With 34 People On Board, Arabiya Reports | ZeroHedge
- Failed Chinese Local Bond Offering Leads To PBOC Easing Confusion | ZeroHedge
- Saxobank CIO Explains "The New Nothingness" | ZeroHedge
- Debt Pile-Up To Fuel Further Oil Price Pressure | ZeroHedge
- West Baltimore In Ashes: A Night Of Violence And Looting In Photos | ZeroHedge
- Let’s Play Catch the Falling Knife Game | iBankCoin.com
- Shut Up and Wait | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The CEO of a company valued at more than $250 million shares her best... | Business Insider
- There's another reason why Freddie Gray... | Business Insider
- The latest poll confirms the SNP is going to CRUSH Labour in Scotland | Business Insider
- Pfizer cuts 2015 forecast as strong dollar hits sales | Business Insider
- The 10 most important things in the world right now | Business Insider
- The director of Netflix’s next movie plucked his lead... | Business Insider
- Apple's monster quarter can be explained in two... | Business Insider