Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- And Scene: Ben Bernanke Says More People Should Have Gone To Jail For Causing The Great Recession | ZeroHedge
- China's President Confirms Practice Of Moving Official Reserve Assets To Other Entities In China | ZeroHedge
- Credit Markets Suggest Caution | Financial Sense
- Emerging Market Meltdown May Plunge Global Economy Into Recession | ZeroHedge
- Nickels, Meet Steamroller: Embattled Bank Suckers Hedge Funds Into EM Insurance Bet | ZeroHedge
- Yuan Rising: China Surpasses Japan To Claim Number Four Spot In Most Used Global Currencies | ZeroHedge
- Overshooting to the Downside | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Bangladesh plays down IS claim of killing Japanese man | Business Insider
- FIFA head hopeful accuses Blatter of smear | Business Insider
- 9 weirdest businesses in Britain where you don't pay VAT | Business Insider
- Law firm labeled hate group leading Kim Davis' crusade | Business Insider
- Here's how we ranked how 'normal' the states are | Business Insider
- Rodgers leads Packers past 49ers, Green Bay stays unbeaten... | Business Insider
- Israel bars Palestinians from Jerusalem's Old City | Business Insider