Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is Bank Lending a Concern? | Financial Sense
- Trump's Border Wall Plan Faces 3 Key Hurdles | ZeroHedge
- Are America And China Destined For War? | ZeroHedge
- How The Surveillance Program Works, And Who Can Order It: Former Intel Chair Explains | ZeroHedge
- Why The Healthcare Reform Bill Went Down In Flames | ZeroHedge
- America's March To Default | ZeroHedge
- The Difficulties in Making US Manufacturing Great Again | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A former Google and Apple exec reveals what it's like... | Business Insider
- Jeff Sessions slams 'sanctuary cities': No federal grant money without... | Business Insider
- Video captures the ecstasy and agony of Kentucky fans during final seconds of... | Business Insider
- 12 cool things we noticed in the new 'Justice League' trailer | Business Insider
- 6 ways to make your workforce shine | Business Insider
- The death of 'Trumpcare' is great for hospital stocks | Business Insider
- Flipkart in talks to buy eBay India (EBAY) | Business Insider