Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US Deploys Troops Along Syria-Turkey Border | ZeroHedge
- The Four Charts That Prompted An Oil Analyst To Declare The OPEC Deal A Failure | ZeroHedge
- Hedge Fund CIO: What Central Banks Have Done Is "Stunning, Unprecedented" | ZeroHedge
- Japan Shows Footage Of US Aircraft Carrier Just Hours Away From Korea | ZeroHedge
- What Gary Cohn And Steve Mnuchin Really Said About Trump's Canadian "Trade War" | ZeroHedge
- The Last Remaining Cheap Asset | ZeroHedge
- Weekend Reading: Trumponomics – End Of 100 Days | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Science reveals what happens to your body and brain when you get drunk | Business Insider
- Here are all your favorite TV shows that are coming back for another season | Business Insider
- NSA will stop gathering some messages from US... | Business Insider
- Here's how the 'biggest tax cut in history' could impact stocks (SPX... | Business Insider
- ESPN's 100-person round of layoffs was brutal, but the... | Business Insider
- Congress makes it official:... | Business Insider
- A US service member was killed in blast near Mosul, Iraq | Business Insider