Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Peak Oil Demand" - The Collapse Of The Old Oil Order | ZeroHedge
- "It's Hard To Believe" - Establishment Stunned As Trump Gains 'Wealthy, Well-Educated' Voters | ZeroHedge
- Greek Default Looms In July After EU Rejects Greek Emergency Summit | ZeroHedge
- Doha Meeting Reveals OPEC’s Inability to Control Global Oil Prices | Financial Sense
- OPEC Set To Pump Even More Oil In April As Saudi Arabia Boosts Exports To Near-Record High Levels | ZeroHedge
- Mega M&A Is Back: Abbott Buys St. Jude Medical For $25 Billion, 37% Premium | ZeroHedge
- What $499,000 Buys You In Brooklyn: A 20-by-97 Foot Lot With A "House" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Raucous protesters and supporters of Donald Trump violently... | Business Insider
- Border patrol agents want more drones and... | Business Insider
- Indiana's governor started off his endorsement of Ted Cruz with lengthy praise of... | Business Insider
- THE CONNECTED CAR REPORT: Forecasts, competing technologies... | Business Insider
- A father-son team is creating the next viral YouTube channel by melting... | Business Insider
- RANKED: These are the granola bars with the least sugar | Business Insider
- Small business optimism is 'flashing a recession signal' | Business Insider