Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stop Bashing Banks, Please | ZeroHedge
- Is This The Biggest Crisis In History? | ZeroHedge
- Here Is The ETF Liquidation That Sent Shockwaves Through The Crude Oil Market | ZeroHedge
- S&P 500 Approaching Significant Levels | ZeroHedge
- Baby Boomers Are Drowning In Loans: Debt Of Average 67-Year-Old Soared 169% In Past 12 Years | ZeroHedge
- Why Most Investors Hate Gold | ZeroHedge
- Lakshman on US Slowdown, Shocks, and China | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Valentine's Day is not on February 14 this year* | Business Insider
- We’re probably not going to see that streaming Apple TV service anytime soon | Business Insider
- Bank of America CEO Brian Moynihan got a 23% raise | Business Insider
- Forensic experts say Mexico's version of the 43 missing students is a... | Business Insider
- Donald Trump autographs baby at rally | Business Insider
- Your next apartment could come with a 'smart lock' installed | Business Insider
- Turkey and Saudi Arabia could launch an 'anti-IS... | Business Insider