Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Cybersecurity of the Power Grid: A Growing Challenge | Financial Sense
- Female Engineer Sues Tesla For Sexual Harassment | ZeroHedge
- FRESH: DNA Tests Reveal Subway's Chicken Sandwiches Are Just Half Chicken | ZeroHedge
- Crude Oil; Dangerous kiss of resistance in play? | ZeroHedge
- Reality Catching Up With Expectations | Financial Sense
- Q1 GDP At Risk As Trade Deficit Balloons Near 9 Year Highs | ZeroHedge
- America's In A Drugged Stupor | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The raid in Yemen that left a Navy SEAL dead may not have produced significant intelligence | Business Insider
- JPMorgan's traders made $80 million a day in 2016 (JPM) | Business Insider
- Republicans are hitting more roadblocks on their Obamacare repeal | Business Insider
- 16 more Jewish centers got rocked by fake bomb threats... | Business Insider
- AT&T and GE are planning to deploy smart streetlights (T, GE) | Business Insider
- GameStop shares sank 8 percent on Tuesday after Microsoft unveiled a new attack... | Business Insider
- YouTube thinks its new $35-a-month TV package has a secret weapon in the fight against cable | Business Insider