Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stocks Give Up Week's Gains At Open Following China Currency Carnage | ZeroHedge
- Assange Lashes Out At America: "Rigged Primary, Rigged Media, Rigged Candidate" | ZeroHedge
- World Economy Wobbles As Deep-State-Shill Distracts | ZeroHedge
- The Public Pension Time Bomb Is Starting to Explode | Financial Sense
- Tesla Now Fully Able to Self-Drive Safer Than Humans | Financial Sense
- Is Oil About to Rollover? | Financial Sense
- Meanwhile, At The White House... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Steve Ballmer says Microsoft once tried to buy Facebook... | Business Insider
- China's red-hot housing market is still accelerating | Business Insider
- Counterterrorism prosecutors are calling for access to... | Business Insider
- Trump will announce how he'd spend his first 100 days as president in... | Business Insider
- 15 high-paying jobs to avoid if you're a selfish person | Business Insider
- Automakers could be making a big mistake with their big bets on electric... | Business Insider
- Warby Parker's CEO explains the revelation that led him to leave finance and consulting | Business Insider