Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Weekday Wrap-Up: No Hyperinflation, Years of Low Oil Prices, and a Bubble in Stocks | Financial Sense
- Russian Currency Crisis and Defaults Could Create Contagion in West | ZeroHedge
- Veteran EM Fund Manager Warns "The Youngsters Are About To Be Schooled" | ZeroHedge
- Greek Prime Minister Fails To Get Enough Votes To Elect President, Has Less Support Than Expected | ZeroHedge
- The Implications of "Red Monday" | ZeroHedge
- Oil Wars: Why OPEC Will Win | Financial Sense
- Swiss Central Bank Plunges Into NIRP, Sends Deposit Rates Negative, Scrambles Against Safe-Haven Capital Flight | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Professional Gamers Banned For Cheating | Business Insider
- Conflicting loyalties among Afghans at Mullah Omar'... | Business Insider
- The Era Of Cuba's Classic American Cars May Be Coming To An End | Business Insider
- LeBron James' First Season Back In Cleveland Is Off To A Much Slower Start Than His... | Business Insider
- Check Out The Epic Mansion Minecraft's Creator Just Bought... | Business Insider
- Here Is A List Of All The Companies Most... | Business Insider
- Here's What Doctors Really Think About The Most Controversial... | Business Insider