Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- President Obama Explains The Minimum Wage - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- THe SaD AND STuPiD TaLe OF HuMPTY CHRiSTiE... | ZeroHedge
- Ukraine Update: Pro-Moscow Leader Arrested In Donetsk, Russians Block Border Cross Points | ZeroHedge
- Market Does What It Wants to Do | Financial Sense
- The Herd Mentality – The Left Tail Will Follow The Right Tail | ZeroHedge
- Two Charts Which Will Set Off Some Light Bulbs | iBankCoin.com
- How Will Volcker Rule Affect Markets? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Flipboard Just Bought CNN’s News Reader App Zite For $60 Million | Business Insider
- Facebook Will Pay $200,000 A Year For A Cop To Patrol The Neighborhood Around Its... | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- This App Will Help You Figure Out How Your Coffee Addiction Is Affecting Your Sleep | Business Insider
- Here's Why Harry Reid Wants Me To Stop Reading The Budget | Business Insider
- EU Ready To Provide $15 Billion Of Financial Aid To Ukraine... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the Day 03/06... | StreetInsider.com