Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Explaining The Horrendous Home Sales Report: It Snowed Everywhere But In The Northeast | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap April 22, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- US/European Equity Indices Are Tumbling As WWIII Trumps Buybacks | ZeroHedge
- The Crowd Mine | Financial Sense
- Has Inflation in the U.S. Bottomed Out? | Financial Sense
- Energy and Staples Take the Money Cake Again | iBankCoin.com
- ECB Moving Closer to Unconventional Policy | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- James Harden Goes Into Brutal Shooting Slump, Calls Reporter A 'Weirdo' In Bizarre... | Business Insider
- Cubs And D-Backs Are Wearing Gorgeous Throwback... | Business Insider
- 9 Ways To Destroy Your Credit Score | Business Insider
- Here's How One Man Traveled To More Than 30 Countries Using Credit Card... | Business Insider
- Here's a Simple Explanation of Net Neutrality And How It Affects You — In... | Business Insider
- Apple's Quarterly Earnings Set to Beat Analyst Estimates | TheStreet.com
- Yankees Pitcher Ejected For Having An Illegal Substance On His Neck | Business Insider