Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Trillion Dollar Question: What Happens When Quantitative Easing Ends? | Financial Sense
- Ready to Rock the Musky Cologne Tonight | iBankCoin.com
- "Markets In Turmoil" Russell 2000 Plunges Most In Over 2 Years, Dow Down For 2014 | ZeroHedge
- An Insufferable Beer Crisis Hits California | ZeroHedge
- Lifting the Gassy Stench | iBankCoin.com
- Deal Or No Deal? Argentina Declared In Selective Default, Holds Press Conference - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- New Long | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- Here's Why Working At Apple Is A Dream Job (AAPL) | Business Insider
- This New Design For Airplane Seating Will Make Flights Much More Enjoyable | Business Insider
- English Soccer Player Scores Corkscrew Goal With The Outside Of His Foot | Business Insider
- 7 Reasons Why Life Is Better In Switzerland Than America | Business Insider
- Sprint Q2 Beats, LTE Network Upgrade Near Completion | TheStreet.com
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek