Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Forget Shiller's CAPE, Warren Buffett's "Best Indicator" Is Flashing Bubble Red | ZeroHedge
- "He Who Makes The Rules Never Goes To Jail For Breaking Them" | ZeroHedge
- UKRaiNe UPDaTe: MeeT THe Nu PM... | ZeroHedge
- Iraqi Oil In Context: 60% Of OPEC Growth Expectations | ZeroHedge
- The First Victims of the End of QE – Small Cap Stocks and Junk Bonds | Financial Sense
- It's Time For The BRICS To Act To Counter US Destabilization Efforts | ZeroHedge
- Israel Cabinet Unanimously Rejects John Kerry's Gaza Truce Proposal | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 10 Best Home Printers On The Market | Business Insider
- This Music Festival On A Tiny, Remote Island Looks Totally Amazing | Business Insider
- An ESPN Host Suggested That Women Provoke Domestic Violence | Business Insider
- Stephen Colbert Takes On Tim Draper's 'Six Californias... | Business Insider
- 11 Power Words That Will Make Any Resume Stand Out | Business Insider
- Ford Earnings And Revenue Beat, Europe Sees First Profit In Three Years (F) | Business Insider
- There's A Massive Opportunity In Peer-To-Peer... | Business Insider