Covered Call Picks (AMRN,VQ,ALXA,GRPN,VHC)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|AMRN||Amarin Corporation PLC||14.9||15||2.8||18.80%||Aug-12|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||3.86||4||0.5||11.70%||Aug-12|
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||40.4||41||3.9||9.70%||Aug-12|
Amarin Corporation PLC (AMRN) is currently trading at $14.92. Its 52 week range is between $5.99 and $15.6.
Venoco Inc (VQ) is currently trading at $9.5. Its 52 week range is between $6.5 and $14.94.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $3.86. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $18.4.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $7.67. Its 52 week range is $7.25 and $31.14.
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $40.4. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Every Penny Counts | iBankCoin.com
- THE WALL STREET BULL IS COMING | iBankCoin.com
- Alan Greenspan: QE Failed To Help The Economy, The Unwind Will Be Painful, "Buy Gold" | ZeroHedge
- How Long Can The Top 10% Households Prop Up The "Recovery"? | ZeroHedge
- QE’s Seeds Are Already Sown | ZeroHedge
- Whatever You Do, Ignore These Signs | ZeroHedge
- Broken Stocks, Battered Bullion, & Bruised Crude | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Site Wants To Provide Expert Investing Insight Without The Price Tag | Business Insider
- James Cameron: Virtual Reality 'Is A Yawn' | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the... | StreetInsider.com
- US economy grew 3.5% in third quarter | Business Insider
- Modi Madness Catapults India Stocks To Record Highs | Business Insider
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know Today (MSFT, SSNLF, IBM, HPQ, NTDOF)... | Business Insider
- Jefferies Banker In The Middle Of A Very Messy Divorce Takes A Leave Of Absence | Business Insider