Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- World Bank Maintains Oil Price Forecast At $55 | Financial Sense
- Violent Riots Break Out In Brazil As First General Strike In 21 Years Paralyzes Nation | ZeroHedge
- Gold Bullion Slips Again from 'MAJOR' Hurdle of 2011 Downtrend as IMF Raises Global GDP Forecasts | Financial Sense
- The Real Barack Obama Is Finally Exposed To Everyone | ZeroHedge
- Will Trump Release The Missing JFK Files? | ZeroHedge
- France and Europe Dodge Bullet, Yet Risks Still Ahead | Financial Sense
- Two Blondes, Two Fates | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- EU President Donald Tusk: UK needs to sort out '... | Business Insider
- Doctor convicted of Medicare fraud may testify against New Jersey senator | Business Insider
- This walking boat ramp gets you to shore without getting... | Business Insider
- The organizer of the doomed Fyre festival was previously accused of... | Business Insider
- US oil-rig count climbs for 15th straight week | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- This video shows all of the US presidents in order of... | Business Insider