Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- CDC "Taking Precautions In US", Fears 1.4 Million Africa Ebola Cases By January | ZeroHedge
- This Is How Italy "Fixes" Its Unsustainable Debt Problem | ZeroHedge
- The Emergence of the U.S. Petro-Dollar | Financial Sense
- RIGHT NOW, That’s When | iBankCoin.com
- Stocks Close "Not Off The Lows", Small Caps Unchanged Since Oct 2013 | ZeroHedge
- The Illustrated Guide To Keynesian Vs Austrian Economics | ZeroHedge
- Jack Ma: If You're Poor At 35, You Deserve It | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- CLIFF ASNESS: Hedge Funds Aren't Really 'Hedge' Funds (DIA, SPY, QQQ, TLT,... | Business Insider
- Stocks Are Dropping In Europe | Business Insider
- Big ammo stash found in White House intruder's car | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Here Are Some Of The Amazing Things We Saw At The #FloodWallStreet Protests | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Rockefeller Heirs Join... | Business Insider