Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- All Japan, All the Time | Financial Sense
- THE CHINESE LOTTO GUYS ARE BACK! | iBankCoin.com
- The Dollar is Going Up | ZeroHedge
- Atypical Global Recovery Underway | Financial Sense
- Two Charts I am Eyeballing Here | iBankCoin.com
- Goldman Goes Uberhyper-Bullish, Hikes S&P500 Target To 1750 By Year End, Sees 2100 By 2015 | ZeroHedge
- Solars Are Ripping Again | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Crazy Ants' That Eat Electrical Equipment Are Taking Over The Southeast... | Business Insider
- 2 FBI Agents Killed In Virginia Beach Training Accident | Business Insider
- Why Yahoo's $1.1 Billion Tumblr Buy Is A Great Idea (YHOO) | Business Insider
- Sony Pathetically Tries To Steal The Spotlight From Tomorrow's New Xbox Announcement (SNE) | Business Insider
- Here's The Problem With The New Theory That A Japanese Math Professor Is The... | Business Insider
- The 14 Best Housing Markets For The Next Five Years | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek