Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fact: Bank Product Prices Rise Faster Than Income & ALL Other Expenses - Fact: YOU Can Drop Bank Product Prices Now! | ZeroHedge
- Consumer Confidence Surges; Highest Since the 2007 Market Peak | Financial Sense
- US-Israeli Relations In 1 Cartoon | ZeroHedge
- Driverless Cars on UK Public Streets Starting January | Financial Sense
- August 1914: When Global Stock Markets Closed | ZeroHedge
- Why Wait For The Shoe To Hit The Floor? The Case For Selling Now | ZeroHedge
- Q3 Estimates Beginning to Slip | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Jim Cramer's Top Stock Picks: YELP RRD | TheStreet.com
- RANKED: The 8 Unhealthiest Restaurant Dishes In America | Business Insider
- Apple Built An Online Highway For Your Downloads — And... | Business Insider
- Oregon Quarterback Finished All His Real Classes In 3 Years, Has The Best Fall Class... | Business Insider
- Ebola Discoverer Says He Would 'Sit Next To Someone... | Business Insider
- Micron Technology Flagged as Today's Pre-Market Laggard | TheStreet.com
- The Pace Of Manufacturing In Europe Is Sitting At A 7-Month Low | Business Insider