Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- There Will Be No Warning When the Next Crisis Hits | ZeroHedge
- SouTH OF THe BoRDeR... | ZeroHedge
- The Current ECB Programs Create a QE-like Environment, Setting Up for Moral Hazards | Financial Sense
- Following First Ebola Death Nigeria "On Red Alert", Deploys Specialists To Airports For Containment | ZeroHedge
- A PoST CaRD FRoM GaZa... | ZeroHedge
- First Syrian Rebels, Now Hamas: Qatar Once Again Emerges As "Mystery" US-Backed Sponsor Of War | ZeroHedge
- Inside the Market's Mind: Investment’s Hard Problem...and Why It Can’t Be [Quantitatively] Eased | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Shares Of A Major US Trucker Are Crashing After Management Says It Can't Find... | Business Insider
- DOW OFF 160 | Business Insider
- Amazon Is Tanking This Morning (AMZN) | Business Insider
- Here's Rand Paul's Plan To Reform Drug Laws | Business Insider
- US Evacuates Embassy In Tripoli, Libya Amid Growing Violence | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett Once Said: 'Ace Greenberg Does Almost Everything Better Than I Do:... | Business Insider
- 'Century Crunch' Could Put Los Angeles Through Traffic Hell This Weekend | Business Insider