Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Market Recovers; China Clown-Raped | iBankCoin.com
- The Biggest Issue Now Is "The Math" | ZeroHedge
- Wall Street's Next Bonanza: Subprime Marriage-Backed Securities | ZeroHedge
- Greece Contemplates Nuclear Options: May Print Euros, Launch Parallel Currency, Nationalize Banks | ZeroHedge
- DueLiNG MaRKeT PeRiLS... | ZeroHedge
- More Sellside Reactions To The Greek Referendum | ZeroHedge
- What It Really Takes For a US-Iran Deal | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This man will pay you $10,000 to find him a girlfriend | Business Insider
- Rodriguez wins Tour stage as Froome strikes blow | Business Insider
- The Pirate Bay cofounder: Prison was 'well... | Business Insider
- Pope Francis to focus on poor in South America trip | Business Insider
- Yelp traffic could decline for the first time ever after... | Business Insider
- A friend of the Dalai Lama for 30 years says this is the single... | Business Insider
- UK remembers 2005 London bombings under shadow of Tunisia... | Business Insider