Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Pending Home Sales See 2nd Biggest MoM Plunge Since May 2010 | ZeroHedge
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
- Top 10 Wall Street Rookie Mistakes | ZeroHedge
- Zimbabwe's Gold Mines On Verge Of Collapse Due To Low Bullion Prices | ZeroHedge
- While We Wait for Yet Another FOMC Statement... | Financial Sense
- Why The U.S. Shale Boom May Come To Abrupt End | ZeroHedge
- An Entire Generation of Fund Managers is Unprepared For the Next Crisis | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- World's largest Ebola unit dismantled as outbreak... | Business Insider
- ICC allows banned Aamer to play domestic cricket | Business Insider
- Why Viacom's Nickelodeon Is Betting on New Online Subscription Service | TheStreet.com
- Greece says it won't cooperate with its bailout... | Business Insider
- 26 killed as attacks rock Egypt's Sinai | Business Insider
- Amazon surprises market with $214 mln quarterly profit | Business Insider
- Why Tim Cook Thinks The iPad Has Tons Of Room To Grow... | Business Insider