Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bullion Banking: Part I - The Mechanics and the Players | ZeroHedge
- Buffett Wins Again: Berkshire To Get $29 Billion Boost Under Trump Tax Plan | ZeroHedge
- What's Behind The Relentless Market Surge? RBC Explains | ZeroHedge
- Is the Student Loan Bubble Getting Ready to Pop? | Financial Sense
- Boom and Bust | Financial Sense
- Pentagon May Receive Over $600 Billion Despite Hiding Additional $125 Billion ‘Waste’ | ZeroHedge
- David Rosenberg Throws Up On The "Trump Rally" - Here's Why | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The story behind 'Krampus,' Santa's demonic helper who exists to scare... | Business Insider
- Arianna Huffington gives advice to young entrepreneurs: 'You... | Business Insider
- Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Twitter are working together... | Business Insider
- 10 million self-driving cars will be on the road by... | Business Insider
- US trade veteran warns Chinese firms to be ready for a '... | Business Insider
- Search and rescue efforts are underway for a missing US Marine pilot off Japan... | Business Insider
- Amazon announces two co-projects with Intel to expand Alexa... | Business Insider