Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Disgusted Kerry And Lavrov Can't Even Hold A Phone Conversation Any More | ZeroHedge
- Do You Believe in CREE-mation? | iBankCoin.com
- Just Because Tech Stocks Are Cratering, That Doesn’t Mean They Ain’t Cool | iBankCoin.com
- A Few Setups For Thursday | iBankCoin.com
- Putin Says "Use Of Force In Ukraine Will Have Consequences" As Column Of Military Vehicles Seen Heading Toward Border | ZeroHedge
- Banker Death 'Epidemic' Spreads To China | ZeroHedge
- The Earnings Parade Accelerates | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'The Only Thing I Know About Apple TV Is There Are Some Amazing Engineers Working On Apple... | Business Insider
- STOCKS FALL: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- There Are Three Big US Economic Datapoints Coming Out Today | Business Insider
- Shares of Verizon Slip After Mixed First-Quarter Results | TheStreet.com
- What It Was Like To Create Apps... | Business Insider
- Taco Bell Is Launching An Upscale Fast-Casual Chain | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek