Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Paris, Sharm el-Sheikh, and the Resurrection of Old Europe | Financial Sense
- US Real Estate: The Lay of the Land | Financial Sense
- Schengen Is Cracking – Can the EU Withstand the Pressure? | Financial Sense
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Real Personal Income for October | Financial Sense
- Mission Accomplished | Financial Sense
- Obama to Veto Bill Requiring Background Checks on Syrian Refugees | Financial Sense
- Experts See Low Oil Prices for Decades to Come as US Shale Boom Goes Global | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, and 10 other successful people were doing... | Business Insider
- 10 skills that are hard to learn but pay off forever | Business Insider
- The Latest: High security as leaders meet for climate... | Business Insider
- Wisconsin school nixes reading of book about... | Business Insider
- A Wharton professor explains 3 ways nice guys can get ahead at work | Business Insider
- Fresh Jerusalem stabbings as Israel considers next moves... | Business Insider
- Pope Francis lands in capital of Central African Republic... | Business Insider