Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Small Bombs Under $10 | iBankCoin.com
- Charting Today's 30K "Make Or Break" Payroll Difference In "Seasonally Adjusted" Context | ZeroHedge
- THE WTF COMEX TRAVESTY | ZeroHedge
- First Battle at the Five Points Complete | iBankCoin.com
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- Ride the Profitable Wave | Financial Sense
- Waking Up to Two Views | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- 17 Of The Most Unforgettable Moments From Nelson Mandela's Life | Business Insider
- Mobile Display Advertising Is As Messy And Confusing As Ever, Here's How All The... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- The Disturbing Reason 97% Of Federal Drug Defendants Plead Guilty | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- NFL QUARTERBACK POWER RANKINGS: Where All 32 Starters Stand Right Now | Business Insider