Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stocks Churn as Earnings & Election Anxiety Grows | Financial Sense
- Will The Election Be Hacked: FBI Finds "Foreigners" Breached Two State Election Databases | ZeroHedge
- Nationalist Tensions Rise As Sarkozy Slams "Calais Jungle", Demands "Britain Deal With Asylum Seekers In Britain" | ZeroHedge
- "There Will Be Blood" - The Whole Game Is About Containing Russia-China | ZeroHedge
- Jackson Hole – What Have We Learned? | Financial Sense
- Jim Rickards: "There Will Be A War On Gold" | ZeroHedge
- Merkel's Approval Continues To Slide: Half Of Germans Are Against Her Serving A Fourth Term | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Anthony Weiner was the Ted Cruz of the left | Business Insider
- Millennials' hatred of 'dealing with people' is a major threat... | Business Insider
- This startup sold $2 million worth of sleek 'smart' suitcases in its first 4... | Business Insider
- ... | Business Insider
- T-Mobile is making changes to its new ‘unlimited’ plan,... | Business Insider
- Joe Scarborough is trolling Donald Trump with a new nickname | Business Insider
- 3 things this CEO learned from Salesforce after selling his... | Business Insider