Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- TSA Head Of Security Fired (After $90,000 Bonus) | ZeroHedge
- Just Stop It! | ZeroHedge
- What the Greek Deal Does and Does Not Do | Financial Sense
- Are Investors Idiots? | ZeroHedge
- Everything Is Not Awesome! Study Finds LEGOs Becoming Increasingly Violent | ZeroHedge
- A June Fed Funds Rate Hike Risks a September Economic Stall | Financial Sense
- Stronger Dollar Sends Futures Higher, Oil Lower, Asian Stocks To Two Month Lows | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- MORGAN STANLEY: The pillars supporting emerging markets 'seem to be... | Business Insider
- How Hulu could win in live TV, according to former Hulu execs | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Former Afghan foreign minister: Death of Taliban leader could make... | Business Insider
- Messaging apps are now bigger than social networks | Business Insider
- Oklahoma lawmakers are racing to close 'a huge loophole... | Business Insider
- Sports Authority is kicking off a massive clearance sale at all its stores before shutting... | Business Insider