Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "And You Thought Mass Hysteria Was Over..." | ZeroHedge
- Caption Contest: "I'm Always On The Left" | ZeroHedge
- Davidowitz: Brick-and-Mortar Retail an "Absolute Train Wreck" | Financial Sense
- Trump Signs First Executive Order To "Ease The Burden Of Obamacare" | ZeroHedge
- National Park Service BTFO: Cucked Agency Ordered to Cease Using Twitter After Mocking Trump Inauguration | ZeroHedge
- A Trade War Is in No One's Interest | Financial Sense
- Donald Trump, Betsy DeVos and School Choice | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This $250M mansion is the most expensive home for sale... | Business Insider
- Senate confirms two retired generals as Trump's first... | Business Insider
- The giant Walgreens-Ride Aid merger could be in trouble, and their... | Business Insider
- See inside the $5.3 million Washington, DC, home that the Obamas are moving into | Business Insider
- 'A Dog's Purpose' premiere and press event canceled... | Business Insider
- 25 surprising things that can make you successful | Business Insider
- The fabulous life of legendary fashion billionaire Ralph Lauren, who dressed Melania... | Business Insider