Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- European Bank Bloodbath Crashes Bond, Stock Markets | ZeroHedge
- Market Recap Feb 8, 2016 | FundMyMutualFund
- The Mad Stewards of Gondor | Financial Sense
- US Consumer Is the Last Defense Against Strong Dollar Drag on the Economy | Financial Sense
- The Age of the Intelligent Machine | Financial Sense
- Bank of Japan and Oil Detracting Market's Focus from Weak GDP Report | Financial Sense
- Dangerous Speech: Would The Founders Be Considered Domestic Extremists Today? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A small asteroid will fly by Earth on March 5 — here's what you need to know... | Business Insider
- A 14-year-old model is raising big questions about the fashion... | Business Insider
- The 10 Super Bowl ads people are already sharing like crazy | Business Insider
- Here's how to follow the Super Bowl on Facebook, Twitter, and... | Business Insider
- A new study shows bananas may help detect, cure skin cancer | Business Insider
- LEAKED: The first real photo of Samsung's next Galaxy phone | Business Insider
- How to invest like a Marine sniper | Business Insider