Covered Call Picks (FSLR,URI,MS,GRPN,SPPI)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||15||15||1.7||11.00%||Jul-12|
|URI||United Rentals Inc||32.3||33||2.6||8.00%||Jul-12|
|SPPI||Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc||11.7||12||0.8||6.40%||Jul-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $14.95. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $142.22.
United Rentals Inc (URI) is currently trading at $32.3. Its 52 week range is between $12.81 and $47.98.
Morgan Stanley (MS) is currently trading at $13.93. Its 52 week range is between $11.58 and $24.46.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $9.95. Its 52 week range is $8.8 and $31.14.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (SPPI) is currently trading at $11.72. Its 52 week range is between $6.94 and $16.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fed's Dudley "US Dollar Wins"; Bitcoin "Not a Good Store Of Value" | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: March 7 | ZeroHedge
- Ukraine Acting President Loses It Over "Crime Against Nation" Crimea Referendum | ZeroHedge
- Happy 5th Anniversary To The Bull Market | ZeroHedge
- ($XXII) 22nd Century Groups Gets NYSE Approval, VIRTU is DMM | ZeroHedge
- Caption Contest: Napoleon Complex Edition | ZeroHedge
- Has This Chart "Reached A Permanently High Plateau"? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- It Turns Out People Don't Really Surf The Web On Their Smartphones | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- SATOSHI NAKAMOTO: I Never Heard Of Bitcoin Before Newsweek Contacted My Son 3 Weeks... | Business Insider
- 5 Questions For David Rosenberg | Business Insider
- Vladimir Putin Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize | Business Insider
- White House: Mitt Romney Was Wrong About Russia | Business Insider