Covered Call Picks (CALL,WLT,VRTX,CRUS,BKS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
magicJack Vocaltec Ltd (CALL) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $9.5 and $28.22.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $47.28. Its 52 week range is between $44.91 and $132.38.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $56.77. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.88. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $29.5.
Barnes & Noble Inc (BKS) is currently trading at $15.42. Its 52 week range is between $9.35 and $26.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China's Bursting Bubble + Grexit Trouble = Dow Rubble | ZeroHedge
- The ECB Is Considering A Parallel Greek Currency | ZeroHedge
- I am Prepared For All Eventualities | iBankCoin.com
- France Considers Forcing Google to Disclose Search Algorithm; Too Much Satisfaction! | Financial Sense
- European Sovereigns Have Worst Week In 5 Years, Stocks Slump | ZeroHedge
- 300 US Paratroopers Arrive In Ukraine After Russia Says Its Missiles Will Target NATO Member States | ZeroHedge
- GE Gets Out at the Top | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- Pope to visit Cuba in September: Vatican | Business Insider
- March was the hottest on record worldwide since 1880 | Business Insider
- Saudi vows to cover UN aid call for Yemen, keeps up air... | Business Insider
- Coke is buying a $400 million foothold in China's fast-growing... | Business Insider
- Bremmer: This is why Putin is one of the world's most influential... | Business Insider
- Chinese stocks are getting destroyed | Business Insider