Covered Call Picks (CALL,WLT,VRTX,CRUS,BKS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
magicJack Vocaltec Ltd (CALL) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $9.5 and $28.22.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $47.28. Its 52 week range is between $44.91 and $132.38.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $56.77. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.88. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $29.5.
Barnes & Noble Inc (BKS) is currently trading at $15.42. Its 52 week range is between $9.35 and $26.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Mortgage Applications Tumble As Citi Warns Oil-Drop Risks Housing/Jobs Slump | ZeroHedge
- A Pessimist's Guide To The World In 2015 | ZeroHedge
- Look Who Is Buddy-Buddy With Russia Nowadays | ZeroHedge
- Futures Soar On Swiss NIRP Stunner, "Considerably Patient" Fed | ZeroHedge
- We Are Going To Crash | iBankCoin.com
- The Fracturing Energy Bubble Is the New Housing Crash | ZeroHedge
- Will Putin's Next Step Be To Sell Gold? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- India Just Tested A Submarine Capable Of Firing Nuclear Warheads From Sea | Business Insider
- How To Make Bulletproof Coffee With Butter For More Energy | Business Insider
- Here's The Trailer For 'The Interview' — The Movie The Hackers Don... | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- 13 Gifts Any Golfer Would Love | Business Insider
- Williamson hits century as New Zealand level series | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek