Covered Call Picks (CALL,WLT,VRTX,CRUS,BKS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
magicJack Vocaltec Ltd (CALL) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $9.5 and $28.22.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $47.28. Its 52 week range is between $44.91 and $132.38.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $56.77. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.88. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $29.5.
Barnes & Noble Inc (BKS) is currently trading at $15.42. Its 52 week range is between $9.35 and $26.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stocks Roll-Over As USDJPY Tumbles To Post-Healthcare-Fail Lows | ZeroHedge
- Felix Zulauf: 2017 Could Be a "Game Changer" | Financial Sense
- Why Foreign Robots Are The Real U.S. Job Killer | ZeroHedge
- Nunes Refuses To Share Intelligence Source With Other Committee Members | ZeroHedge
- Thousands Of Americans Are Fleeing The Big Cities | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Warns OPEC Production Cut Extension Will Backfire, Result In Lower Prices | ZeroHedge
- Insider Reveals How DARPA Will Control Our Minds: "If Even 20% Of This Is True..." | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The murders of Biggie and Tupac are still a mystery after 20 years —... | Business Insider
- What you need to know on Wall Street right now | Business Insider
- Stop ignoring catcalls — shut them down with these tips from a self-... | Business Insider
- Gold jumps to its best level in 4 months (GLD, GDX) | Business Insider
- Robert Kraft says Tom Brady told him he is 'willing' to play... | Business Insider
- 'What I do depends on how things play out': Mark Cuban on Trump, his 2020... | Business Insider
- The cost of an MRI can vary by thousands of dollars depending on where you go | Business Insider