Covered Call Picks (CALL,WLT,VRTX,CRUS,BKS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
magicJack Vocaltec Ltd (CALL) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $9.5 and $28.22.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $47.28. Its 52 week range is between $44.91 and $132.38.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $56.77. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.88. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $29.5.
Barnes & Noble Inc (BKS) is currently trading at $15.42. Its 52 week range is between $9.35 and $26.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- BLACK SMOKE, DUST, AND TRAGIC TRAGEDIES HIT WALL STREET | iBankCoin.com
- New Homes Sales Surprise Forecast | Financial Sense
- Gold Price Moves Since QE3 Have Been A Warning To Mainstream Economists, Not Cause For Celebrations | ZeroHedge
- Peter Schiff Is Furious At "Double Seasonally Adjusted" Economic Data | ZeroHedge
- This Innovation Will Help U.S. Companies Win the Oil Price War | Financial Sense
- The Birds & The Bees: Suicide By Pesticide | ZeroHedge
- Israel Refuses To Pay Old Oil Debt To Iran | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- NBA's Harden leads Rockets win, Curry OK after scary... | Business Insider
- Brexit beckons as 97% of Britons... | Business Insider
- This could be the end of the Jony Ive era at Apple (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Microsoft's Siri competitor is coming to iPhone (MSFT) | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- America's most reliable cars come from these two automakers | Business Insider