Covered Call Picks (CALL,WLT,VRTX,CRUS,BKS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
magicJack Vocaltec Ltd (CALL) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $9.5 and $28.22.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $47.28. Its 52 week range is between $44.91 and $132.38.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $56.77. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.88. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $29.5.
Barnes & Noble Inc (BKS) is currently trading at $15.42. Its 52 week range is between $9.35 and $26.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Q3: Not Amazing Nor Disappointing | Financial Sense
- A Tale of Two Economies - It Was the Better of Times, It Was the Worst of Times | Financial Sense
- Three Perspectives on Falling Oil Prices | Financial Sense
- Why Airport Screening Won't Stop Ebola, The Economist Explains | ZeroHedge
- Guess Who Wasn't Shorting Treasurys | ZeroHedge
- Why Abenomics Failed: There Was A "Blind Spot From The Outset", Goldman Apologizes | ZeroHedge
- Post-Taper Tantrum II: The Week Ahead | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why Selling A Startup For $20 Million Can Be... | Business Insider
- Tesla's Tune-up: Legal Brawls, Delivering the Model X and Earnings | TheStreet.com
- Cheika close to being named new Wallabies coach | Business Insider
- Dubai's New Supercar Ambulance Can Go 160 MPH | Business Insider
- Foursquare Just Launched A Multi-Million-Dollar Ad Campaign To... | Business Insider
- Everyone Loves This Story Of How An... | Business Insider
- France, Germany pledge action to boost investment, growth... | Business Insider