Covered Call Picks (CALL,WLT,VRTX,CRUS,BKS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
magicJack Vocaltec Ltd (CALL) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $9.5 and $28.22.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $47.28. Its 52 week range is between $44.91 and $132.38.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $56.77. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.88. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $29.5.
Barnes & Noble Inc (BKS) is currently trading at $15.42. Its 52 week range is between $9.35 and $26.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Aware of Your Surroundings | iBankCoin.com
- The Business End of Social Sharing | iBankCoin.com
- Revealed: Apple’s “Offshore” Cash Isn’t Even Offshore | ZeroHedge
- Asian Gold Premiums Hit New Highs as Europe Urged to Start Aggressive QE | Financial Sense
- Excess German Savings, Not Thrift, Caused the European Crisis | Financial Sense
- The Nikkei's Collapse: A 1987 Refresher | ZeroHedge
- "Get To Work, Mr. Portfolio Manager" - Federal Reserve Profits Plunge Even As Salaries Surge | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- HP's PC Sales Crashed 20% And Now Meg Whitman Is Distancing Herself From... | Business Insider
- Here's Why Tumblr Is Worth More Than $1.1 Billion To Yahoo | Business Insider
- Here Are Four Signs We're In A Dangerous Bubble | Business Insider
- U.S. Mobile Commerce Grows Nearly Three Times Faster Than Desktop E-Commerce | Business Insider
- Mysterious 'Alien Hand Syndrome' Is Embarrassing And Terrifying | Business Insider
- New Satellite Images Show Oklahoma Tornado's Trail Of Destruction | Business Insider