Covered Call Picks (CALL,WLT,VRTX,CRUS,BKS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
magicJack Vocaltec Ltd (CALL) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $9.5 and $28.22.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $47.28. Its 52 week range is between $44.91 and $132.38.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $56.77. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.88. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $29.5.
Barnes & Noble Inc (BKS) is currently trading at $15.42. Its 52 week range is between $9.35 and $26.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US Service Sector Rebounds in November; Majority of Businesses Positive on Direction of Economy | Financial Sense
- Rise Of The Machines: Millions Of American Jobs Will Be Wiped Out In The Next Five Years | ZeroHedge
- The Stock Market Is A Propaganda Tool | ZeroHedge
- Virginia Tech Snowflakes Unveil Definitive List Of Top 50 Microaggressions That Offend Them | ZeroHedge
- JPM's Quant Wizard Returns To The Dark Side, Warns Of Coming "Market Turmoil" | ZeroHedge
- White Anger: Fed Helped Elect Trump; Tale of Two Job Markets | Financial Sense
- Leon Tuey: Secular Bull Market Has Years Left to Run | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- We just got our first look at Nintendo’s new console working in real life... | Business Insider
- A peek into women's bedrooms in 2016 | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- Lululemon is soaring after beating on earnings and raising its guidance (LULU) | Business Insider
- Here’s how PlayStation 4 sales stack up to the best-selling... | Business Insider
- Why physicists are fascinated by Vincent van Gogh's episodes of '... | Business Insider
- The dollar is climbing back | Business Insider