Covered Call Picks (CALL,WLT,VRTX,CRUS,BKS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
magicJack Vocaltec Ltd (CALL) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $9.5 and $28.22.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $47.28. Its 52 week range is between $44.91 and $132.38.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $56.77. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.88. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $29.5.
Barnes & Noble Inc (BKS) is currently trading at $15.42. Its 52 week range is between $9.35 and $26.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Value-At-Risk Fiasco | ZeroHedge
- Key Economic Events Of The Coming Busy Week: ISM, ADP, Trade, Producttivity And Jobs, Jobs, Jobs | ZeroHedge
- The "Decoupled" Chart That Traders Are Most Concerned About | ZeroHedge
- Bill Clinton Tried To Give Paid Speeches To North Korea & Congo While Hillary Was Secretary Of State | ZeroHedge
- This Is Oil's Biggest 3-Day Rally In 25 Years | ZeroHedge
- Citi Slams Today's Historic Oil Surge: "Another False Start, Time To Fade The Rally" | ZeroHedge
- The Age Of Voodoo Finance | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Phil Mickelson tried to hit his famous backwards shot at The Barclays and it almost... | Business Insider
- Rolls Royce cooperating with Brazil corruption probe | Business Insider
- Serena, Djokovic roll but Nishikori falls at US Open | Business Insider
- 3 reasons markets lost faith in China's economy, at a... | Business Insider
- Possible Biden bid for White House faces rough road | Business Insider
- Ohio Gov. Kasich opposes changing name of Mount McKinley | Business Insider
- Nicki Minaj and Taylor Swift just trolled everyone at the... | Business Insider