Covered Call Picks (CALL,WLT,VRTX,CRUS,BKS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
magicJack Vocaltec Ltd (CALL) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $9.5 and $28.22.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $47.28. Its 52 week range is between $44.91 and $132.38.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $56.77. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.88. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $29.5.
Barnes & Noble Inc (BKS) is currently trading at $15.42. Its 52 week range is between $9.35 and $26.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why Commercial Real Estate Is Next: 'Challenging Technicals' Are About To Become 'Weak Fundamentals' | ZeroHedge
- Lakshman on US Slowdown, Shocks, and China | Financial Sense
- "A Market Collapse Is On The Horizon" | ZeroHedge
- Why The Federal Reserve Always "Happens" To Be Wrong | ZeroHedge
- This Is Wall Street At Its Most Fatalistic: "Markets Are Now Coupled In A "Destructive” Way" | ZeroHedge
- Is This Debt's Last Rattle? | ZeroHedge
- Turkey Fires On Syrian Army, Kurds, Says "Massive Escalation" In Syria Imminent As Saudis Ready Airstrikes | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- GOP focus group describes Donald Trump as 'inevitable' | Business Insider
- That 6-week standoff in Oregon will... | Business Insider
- The 12 best dunks from the best NBA dunk contest in years | Business Insider
- Meet the understated governor shaking up the presidential race | Business Insider
- The stories of how 7 famous fast-food chains got their names | Business Insider
- Here's what the editor of The Independent's website said about the end of... | Business Insider
- Crude oil just had its biggest day in 7 years (USO, WTI, OIL, VDE) | Business Insider