Covered Call Picks (CALL,WLT,VRTX,CRUS,BKS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
magicJack Vocaltec Ltd (CALL) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $9.5 and $28.22.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $47.28. Its 52 week range is between $44.91 and $132.38.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $56.77. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.88. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $29.5.
Barnes & Noble Inc (BKS) is currently trading at $15.42. Its 52 week range is between $9.35 and $26.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- World Bank: Trump to Boost US Economic Growth and Commodities | Financial Sense
- Why Morgan Stanley Thinks Stocks "Will Do Worse Under The New Administration" | ZeroHedge
- "Mainstream Mediasaurus" | ZeroHedge
- Turkey Faces Double-Digit Inflation Due To Crashing Lira, As Budget Deficit Hits Record | ZeroHedge
- The Eight Forces That Are Pressuring Profits | Financial Sense
- This Bloomberg Editorial Claims Experts Are Necessary for Government - We Disagree | ZeroHedge
- 2017: Change Can Be A Bitch | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- There’s a handmade amusement park hidden in an Italian forest | Business Insider
- Some 70 countries... | Business Insider
- The F-35 may carry one of the US's most polarizing nuclear weapons... | Business Insider
- Moscow didn’t do anything in America’s last election that Washington hasn’t done... | Business Insider
- For $8,000, this startup will fill your veins with the blood of young... | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek