Covered Call Picks (CALL,WLT,VRTX,CRUS,BKS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
magicJack Vocaltec Ltd (CALL) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $9.5 and $28.22.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $47.28. Its 52 week range is between $44.91 and $132.38.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $56.77. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.88. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $29.5.
Barnes & Noble Inc (BKS) is currently trading at $15.42. Its 52 week range is between $9.35 and $26.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- President Obama Delivers More Remarks - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Bull or Bear? | iBankCoin.com
- What's The "Best" Way To Make A 10% Return? | ZeroHedge
- Scotland’s Independence Could Hurt British Pound | Financial Sense
- Gold Demand In India Triples As China Launches Global Gold Bourse Tomorrow | ZeroHedge
- NSA Warns "Bad Guys Are Everywhere" As Spooks Run Afoul Of German Laws Again | ZeroHedge
- Keep Your Eye on These Disruptive Tech Ventures | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- HEDGE FUND MANAGERS REACT: CalPERS Was Just Terrible At Picking Hedge Funds | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Tim Cook Basically Just Said He Was 'Offended' By... | Business Insider
- Ira Glass Stunned By How Many People Want His Ringtone From 'BoJack... | Business Insider
- NFL star Peterson suspended over child abuse charge | Business Insider