Covered Call Picks (CALL,WLT,VRTX,CRUS,BKS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
magicJack Vocaltec Ltd (CALL) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $9.5 and $28.22.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $47.28. Its 52 week range is between $44.91 and $132.38.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $56.77. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.88. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $29.5.
Barnes & Noble Inc (BKS) is currently trading at $15.42. Its 52 week range is between $9.35 and $26.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold and the Ghost of Bail-Ins Past | Financial Sense
- Fly Buy: $AG | iBankCoin.com
- Market Cap to GDP: The Buffett Valuation Indicator | Financial Sense
- New Long | iBankCoin.com
- A Few Ideas For Friday | iBankCoin.com
- Inflation Psychology Begins to Change | Financial Sense
- Is It Time To Sell The "Old Guy At A Club" Market? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- Everything You Need To Know About The iPhone 6 (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Microsoft's Virtual Assistant Cortana Sounds Like It's Going To Be Amazing (MSFT... | Business Insider
- New York Times' Sports Section Has A Perfectly Simple Front Page... | Business Insider
- Houston Teenagers Mocked One Girl's Alleged Sexual Assault In A Horrible... | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- Germany Kicks Out Top US Intelligence Official... | Business Insider