Covered Call Picks (CALL,WLT,VRTX,CRUS,BKS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
magicJack Vocaltec Ltd (CALL) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $9.5 and $28.22.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $47.28. Its 52 week range is between $44.91 and $132.38.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $56.77. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.88. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $29.5.
Barnes & Noble Inc (BKS) is currently trading at $15.42. Its 52 week range is between $9.35 and $26.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Frontrunning: December 10 | ZeroHedge
- Focus on Earnings | Financial Sense
- The 'Depressing' Truth Of Greece's Insolvency | ZeroHedge
- THE VoLCKeR RuLe... | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: December 11 | ZeroHedge
- Fidelity Now Allowing Bitcoins In IRAs | ZeroHedge
- Gundlach Live Webcast: "Something For Nothing" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Guy's Galaxy S4 Caught Fire, And He Says Samsung Won't Give Him A New... | Business Insider
- BILLION-DOLLAR EXITS: 12 Tech Companies That Struck It Rich In 2013 | Business Insider
- The Most Outrageous Works We Saw At Art Basel Miami Beach [PHOTOS] | Business Insider
- ALBERT EDWARDS: If People Were Paying Attention To This Obscure Inflation... | Business Insider
- 8 Superfoods Eaten By The Super Successful | Business Insider
- The Best Biotech CEO of 2013 Is... | TheStreet.com
- Gisele 'Multitasking While Breastfeeding' Selfie Sparks Outrage... | Business Insider