Covered Call Picks (CALL,WLT,VRTX,CRUS,BKS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
magicJack Vocaltec Ltd (CALL) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $9.5 and $28.22.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $47.28. Its 52 week range is between $44.91 and $132.38.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $56.77. Its 52 week range is between $26.5 and $66.1.
Cirrus Logic Inc (CRUS) is currently trading at $27.88. Its 52 week range is $12.52 and $29.5.
Barnes & Noble Inc (BKS) is currently trading at $15.42. Its 52 week range is between $9.35 and $26.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stocks Slide, Gold Soars On Weak Earnings, Geopolitical Fears | ZeroHedge
- Inside the Market's Mind: Investment’s Hard Problem...and Why It Can’t Be [Quantitatively] Eased | Financial Sense
- Final Hour Analysis from Chess on Northern European Stocks | iBankCoin.com
- Useful Idiots and the Something For Nothing Society - Part 1 of 3 | ZeroHedge
- The Rot Within, Part III: Our Political Order Is Defined By Favoritism And Extortion | ZeroHedge
- No Inflation Friday: Dollarized Panama Issues Price Controls For Basic Goods | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: July 25 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's The Classic Memo Ace Greenberg Sent Telling Traders To Save Paper Clips | Business Insider
- Barry Silbert Steps Down As SecondMarket CEO | Business Insider
- What It's Like To Be Part Of New York's Most Renowned Public... | Business Insider
- Everything You Need To Know About Apple's Culture Of Secrecy In One Paragraph (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Pandora Is Tanking (P) | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- This Is Where The Tech Giants Are Spending Their Money In DC | Business Insider