Covered Call Picks (LNKD,WLT,LCC,NOK,VVUS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||51.4||52.5||2.4||4.70%||Jun-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.6||13||0.6||4.60%||Jun-12|
|NOK||Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A||2.95||3||0.1||4.40%||Jun-12|
LinkedIn Corp (LNKD) is currently trading at $99.94. Its 52 week range is between $55.98 and $120.63.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $51.4. Its 52 week range is between $47.42 and $132.38.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.62. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $12.4.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $2.95. Its 52 week range is $2.68 and $8.22.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $24.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $26.75.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dollar Drivers: Central Bank Meetings, Jobs Data and More | ZeroHedge
- 1987 Or 2015? The Gap Between Growth Expectations & Valuations Is "Ridiculous" | ZeroHedge
- Financial Bloggers Are Bullish. Does It Matter? | Financial Sense
- Oil Price Collapse: Supply or Demand? | Financial Sense
- Yellen’s Patience Is Market’s Gain | Financial Sense
- GDP Gives Market No Tail-Wind | Financial Sense
- Seasonal Trends for the Month of March | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Nadal grabs slice of history with Argentina win | Business Insider
- Why Samsung's most gorgeous Galaxy phones yet will leave you with mixed feelings | Business Insider
- One chart that should make anti-vaccine people ashamed | Business Insider
- The growing anti-science movement is making people in Silicon Valley nervous | Business Insider
- Solar plane passes new test ahead of planned world tour | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek