Covered Call Picks (LNKD,WLT,LCC,NOK,VVUS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||51.4||52.5||2.4||4.70%||Jun-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.6||13||0.6||4.60%||Jun-12|
|NOK||Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A||2.95||3||0.1||4.40%||Jun-12|
LinkedIn Corp (LNKD) is currently trading at $99.94. Its 52 week range is between $55.98 and $120.63.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $51.4. Its 52 week range is between $47.42 and $132.38.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.62. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $12.4.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $2.95. Its 52 week range is $2.68 and $8.22.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $24.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $26.75.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- When You're Not Around: Setting Your Family Up for Success | Financial Sense
- 85% of Pension Funds to Fail in Three Decades | Financial Sense
- Further Downside May Be Ahead, Though Long-Term Trend Still Intact | Financial Sense
- Shareholder Value: Getting Rich Slowly | Financial Sense
- It's Time To Retire Gross Domestic Product As A Measure of Prosperity | ZeroHedge
- Two Measures of Inflation | Financial Sense
- Russia Confirms Troop Build-Up Near Ukraine; Warns West, More Sanctions "Absolutely Unacceptable" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Jim Cramer on Chipotle, IBM, Google and Goldman Sachs Earnings | TheStreet.com
- The 25 Best Neighborhoods For Young People | Business Insider
- You Can Get A Free iPhone 5s For Trading In Your Old iPhone At RadioShack Starting Today | Business Insider
- Former Commander Of Navy's Elite Blue Angels Relieved Of Duty | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- BREMMER: Russia Wants This Deal To 'Weaken The Ukrainian Government To The Point Of... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek