Covered Call Picks (LNKD,WLT,LCC,NOK,VVUS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||51.4||52.5||2.4||4.70%||Jun-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.6||13||0.6||4.60%||Jun-12|
|NOK||Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A||2.95||3||0.1||4.40%||Jun-12|
LinkedIn Corp (LNKD) is currently trading at $99.94. Its 52 week range is between $55.98 and $120.63.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $51.4. Its 52 week range is between $47.42 and $132.38.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.62. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $12.4.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $2.95. Its 52 week range is $2.68 and $8.22.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $24.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $26.75.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Leverage Mismatches" - Why Q-ECB May Not Be A Favorable Development | ZeroHedge
- THE DECLINE IN THE EURO MEANS NOTHING | iBankCoin.com
- Why Oil Prices Will Be "Lower For Longer" In 3 Simple Charts | ZeroHedge
- 94% of Leading Economic Indicators Showing Positive Growth for the U.S. | Financial Sense
- Fly Buy: $WMT | iBankCoin.com
- The End of the Bull Market? | Financial Sense
- "Historic" Blizzard To Slam Northeast On Monday Night: Over A Foot Of Snow Expected In New York City | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The CTS-V Is The Fastest Cadillac In Human History | Business Insider
- FBI Agent Explains How Russia's Foreign Spy Operations... | Business Insider
- Here's What It Was Like To Take LSD With Steve Jobs | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Japan condemns 'outrageous' hostage murder | Business Insider
- These Terrifying Photos Of The Original Michelin Man Will Haunt Your Dreams | Business Insider
- Microsoft HoloLens goggles captivate with holograms | Business Insider