Covered Call Picks (LNKD,WLT,LCC,NOK,VVUS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||51.4||52.5||2.4||4.70%||Jun-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.6||13||0.6||4.60%||Jun-12|
|NOK||Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A||2.95||3||0.1||4.40%||Jun-12|
LinkedIn Corp (LNKD) is currently trading at $99.94. Its 52 week range is between $55.98 and $120.63.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $51.4. Its 52 week range is between $47.42 and $132.38.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.62. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $12.4.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $2.95. Its 52 week range is $2.68 and $8.22.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $24.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $26.75.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Fed's Perilous "Fake It Till You Make It" Strategy May Be Coming Home To Roost | ZeroHedge
- GDP Seasonal Adjustment: There’s No Smoking Gun | Financial Sense
- What Exactly Is Going On At Lake Mead? | ZeroHedge
- Chinese State Paper Warns "War Will Be Inevitable" Unless U.S. Stops Meddling In Territorial Dispute | ZeroHedge
- Secular Trends in New Residential Building Permits and Housing Starts | Financial Sense
- Lake Mead Water Level Mysteriously Plunges After Nevada Quake | ZeroHedge
- Mario Draghi's Slippery Downward Slope | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 8 essential items you need in your home survival kit | Business Insider
- Cannes Closing Ceremony: LIVE REPORT | Business Insider
- Here's why pro gaming is exploding in popularity | Business Insider
- An artist is selling other people's... | Business Insider
- Greeks back government's red lines, but want to keep... | Business Insider
- A new short movie claims to be 'The World's Most Relaxing Film' — see... | Business Insider
- How Jennifer Lopez's infamous 2000 Grammys dress... | Business Insider