Covered Call Picks (LNKD,WLT,LCC,NOK,VVUS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||51.4||52.5||2.4||4.70%||Jun-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.6||13||0.6||4.60%||Jun-12|
|NOK||Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A||2.95||3||0.1||4.40%||Jun-12|
LinkedIn Corp (LNKD) is currently trading at $99.94. Its 52 week range is between $55.98 and $120.63.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $51.4. Its 52 week range is between $47.42 and $132.38.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.62. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $12.4.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $2.95. Its 52 week range is $2.68 and $8.22.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $24.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $26.75.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- This Is What Happens When You Ask Too Many (Or The Wrong) Questions | ZeroHedge
- Why Bonds Aren't Dead & The Dollar Will Get Weaker | Financial Sense
- Peter Thiel Gets the Bitcoin Bug | ZeroHedge
- The Ugly Truth Behind Spain's First Trade Surplus In Over 40 Years | ZeroHedge
- The World's Uberwealthy Scramble To Buy Greek Isles | ZeroHedge
- THe PRoCToLoGiST MaY 2013... | ZeroHedge
- More Foreclosures and Suicides than During the Great Depression | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- 'Mad Money' Lightning Round: Ford Is a Buy | TheStreet.com
- This Is What David Beckham Looked Like Before He Was Covered In Tattoos | Business Insider
- Incredible Footage Of Plane Making Successful Belly Landing At Newark Airport | Business Insider
- The 10 Countries With Notoriously Bad Tourists | Business Insider
- Here's The Top Stock Held By Each Of The 50 Biggest Hedge Funds | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek