Covered Call Picks (LNKD,WLT,LCC,NOK,VVUS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||51.4||52.5||2.4||4.70%||Jun-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.6||13||0.6||4.60%||Jun-12|
|NOK||Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A||2.95||3||0.1||4.40%||Jun-12|
LinkedIn Corp (LNKD) is currently trading at $99.94. Its 52 week range is between $55.98 and $120.63.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $51.4. Its 52 week range is between $47.42 and $132.38.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.62. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $12.4.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $2.95. Its 52 week range is $2.68 and $8.22.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $24.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $26.75.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Iraq and Syria Follow Lebanon’s Precedent | Financial Sense
- Back To The Future | ZeroHedge
- Trading Treasuries In 1 Simple Chart | ZeroHedge
- Here’s Why Women Feel Underemployed (Hint: It’s All in the Major) | Financial Sense
- Bank of Japan Refrains From Deepening Stimulus | Financial Sense
- Summarizing Morgan Stanley's Entire "S&P At 3000 In 2020" Report In One Sentence | ZeroHedge
- Updating You on My Chess Game | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Lesotho PM heading home after 'coup' | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- This Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone No One Is... | Business Insider
- HSBC's China Manufacturing PMI Comes In Light | Business Insider
- Ukrainian Military: Russian Forces Are... | Business Insider
- Ukraine soldiers in battle with Russian tanks in... | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot... | StreetInsider.com