Covered Call Picks (LNKD,WLT,LCC,NOK,VVUS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||51.4||52.5||2.4||4.70%||Jun-12|
|LCC||US Airways Group Inc||12.6||13||0.6||4.60%||Jun-12|
|NOK||Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A||2.95||3||0.1||4.40%||Jun-12|
LinkedIn Corp (LNKD) is currently trading at $99.94. Its 52 week range is between $55.98 and $120.63.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $51.4. Its 52 week range is between $47.42 and $132.38.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $12.62. Its 52 week range is between $3.96 and $12.4.
Nokia ADR representing one Ord Shs Series A (NOK) is currently trading at $2.95. Its 52 week range is $2.68 and $8.22.
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $24.89. Its 52 week range is between $6.13 and $26.75.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bank of Japan and Oil Detracting Market's Focus from Weak GDP Report | Financial Sense
- China Explores Its Monetary Easing Toolkit | Financial Sense
- Why We Won’t Have a “Lehman Moment” in the 2016 Crash | Financial Sense
- Robust Job Growth Doesn't Make Sense And The Numbers Show Why | ZeroHedge
- And Now "Some Important News About JPMorgan's New Cash Policies" | ZeroHedge
- US Consumer Is the Last Defense Against Strong Dollar Drag on the Economy | Financial Sense
- Will Non-OPEC Oil Production Collapse In 2016? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- US admiral: Russia's submarine activity in... | Business Insider
- These 9 charts tell the definitive story of the US labor market | Business Insider
- Business Insider is hiring a travel... | Business Insider
- Business Insider is hiring a design reporter for the INSIDER team | Business Insider
- The world in photos this week | Business Insider
- Learn to code Java, the world’s most popular programming language | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek