Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China’s Credit Markets Under Pressure | Financial Sense
- Meanwhile In Socialist Utopia... | ZeroHedge
- Gold Price “Will Probably Test $1400” as Crimea Moves to Quit Ukraine | Financial Sense
- THe SiaMeSe TWiNS oF PLaNeT PoNZi... | ZeroHedge
- Fed's Chuck Evans Loses It | ZeroHedge
- One Emerging Market To Buy | ZeroHedge
- Was The Price Of Ukraine's "Liberation" The Handover Of Its Gold To The Fed? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How Friends Can Let You Access Your Facebook Account If You Get Locked Out | Business Insider
- A Canadian Company Says It Has Developed A Post-Workout Beer | Business Insider
- 3 Strategies For Getting A Promotion When You Work From Home | Business Insider
- SOCIAL INSIDER:... | Business Insider
- Here's A House In Scotland For The Ultimate Survivalist | Business Insider
- Ashton Kutcher And Top Investor Ben Horowitz Danced While... | Business Insider
- Invest Like Warren Buffett, Not Warren Sapp | TheStreet.com