Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Energy Sector Weighs on Market as Selloff Continues | Financial Sense
- US Economy Sees Substantial Increase After Weak QI, Though Still Below Average | Financial Sense
- Deutsche Bank "Loses" LIBOR Chat Records; Will Try Hard To Find Them | ZeroHedge
- Warren Buffett and Elon Musk to Spark a Lithium Boom | Financial Sense
- "We Want The Names Of Anyone Who Sold" - China's Market Witch Hunt Enters Twilight Zone | ZeroHedge
- Russia-China Gas Relationship on the Rocks | Financial Sense
- IMF Reiterates Greece Disqualified for Bailout, Participation Depends on Debt Relief and Reforms | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 20 stunning tennis courts to play in your lifetime | Business Insider
- China's military is jangling nerves again | Business Insider
- One big reason Windows 10 should scare Google | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett's investing acumen is demonstrated brilliantly in this... | Business Insider
- Millennials are the best educated — and worst paid —... | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- 12 ridiculous stunts job seekers have pulled to impress a hiring manager | Business Insider