Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Japanese Inflation Holds Near 23 Year Highs As Food, Energy, & TV Costs Soar | ZeroHedge
- Overnight Manufacturing PMI Euphoria Boosts Futures To Fresh Record Highs | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Move Higher on Strong Earnings, Low Inflation Readings | Financial Sense
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for Bears | iBankCoin.com
- Africa's Largest Refinery Finds 2.7 Tons Of Gold "Missing" After Computer System Upgrade | ZeroHedge
- Forget Shiller's CAPE, Warren Buffett's "Best Indicator" Is Flashing Bubble Red | ZeroHedge
- My 1,001st Post – It’s About BAS | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- British Police Used A Secret Unit To Spy On Activists For 40 Years | Business Insider
- CYNK PLUNGES 86% (CYNK) | Business Insider
- Twitter's CEO Under Pressure As Analysts Predict... | Business Insider
- Hollywood Legend Ron Howard Sells His Connecticut Estate For A Record $27.5 Million... | Business Insider
- Amazon, Starbucks, Pandora Earnings Impact the Open | TheStreet.com
- El Pollo Loco Shares Soar On Market Debut (LOCO) | Business Insider
- There's A Real Billboard And Phone Number In New Mexico For AMC's... | Business Insider