Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Oil Prices Continue to Define Geopolitics | Financial Sense
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- Is This Why Stocks Closed Not "Off The Lows"? | ZeroHedge
- End of U.S. Dollar Hegemony - Not | Financial Sense
- And Here is Opportunity | iBankCoin.com
- Night Owl Open Forum | iBankCoin.com
- Subprime Bubble Pop 2.0? Department Of Financial Services Slams America's Largest Subprime Servicer | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- NBC cameraman recovers from Ebola: US hospital | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Marvel Had The Best Response To 'The Avengers' Sequel Trailer... | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- Two die in Sierra Leone riot sparked by Ebola tests | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- Watch Two Candidates For Governor Actually Debate Who Grew Up... | Business Insider