Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- If Consumers Are So Confident, Then Why Aren't They Spending? | ZeroHedge
- These Clowns Are Dragging Us Into War | ZeroHedge
- Gold Is the Money of Kings, Debt the Money of Slaves | Financial Sense
- U.S. Dominates Globe in Biofuel Production | Financial Sense
- Iraq and Syria Follow Lebanon’s Precedent | Financial Sense
- Past Fear, Present Fear | ZeroHedge
- Will Ukraine Retake the East From Separatists? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- 50 Days Of War In Gaza May Cost Israel Dearly | Business Insider
- Six arrested as Malaysian football fans riot | Business Insider
- The Truth Behind Notorious Flavor Enhancer MSG | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Health workers death toll mounts in W.Africa as Ebola... | Business Insider