Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Violent Riots Break Out In Brazil As First General Strike In 21 Years Paralyzes Nation | ZeroHedge
- Tesla's Musk Aspires to Create "Counter for Skynet" | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Warns The Gap Between Stock Investors' Hopes & Reality Is Close To An All-Time High | ZeroHedge
- McClellan: "Gobs of Liquidity" to Fuel Markets Higher | Financial Sense
- Trump Touts Achievements, Blames Dems For Disappointments, Blasts Media In 100-Day Rally | ZeroHedge
- Here's Who NATO Will Probably Be Fighting If There's A World War III | ZeroHedge
- Why The Crude Rally Has Fizzled - Part 3 (Of 3) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Head of Iranian TV network shot in the head in Istanbul | Business Insider
- Cloudera founder: Why investors are '... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- REPORT: Many undocumented immigrants recently rounded up by ICE agents... | Business Insider
- This is hands down my favorite phone case — I've been using it... | Business Insider
- Elon Musk: Tesla's semitruck can be driven around '... | Business Insider
- Immersive video is the future of digital advertising | Business Insider