Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Buy the Dip or Sell the Rally | Financial Sense
- Why The Market Kept Breaking Yesterday | ZeroHedge
- PReSeNTING THe LaTeST ZiMBaBWe NoTe | ZeroHedge
- What’re You Doing with That Hammer? | iBankCoin.com
- Five Stocks Playing Strong Hands Today | iBankCoin.com
- New York Fed's Conference Evokes Violent Thoughts Against Wall Street | ZeroHedge
- NYC Ebola Patient's Condition Worsens As Fiancee Returns Home | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Hong Kong's Umbrella Movement gets computer game... | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- BoE Deputy Governor: Stop Blaming Central Bankers For Your Problems | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- The Bidding For The 2022 Olympics Is A Disaster — And The $51-Billion Sochi Games Is Getting... | Business Insider
- Malcolm Gladwell Reveals The Personality Trait That's Made Him So Successful... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek