Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why Japan May Matter More Than Tapering | Financial Sense
- The Deer Returns: Stocks Tumble, VIX Most-Inverted Since August 2011 | ZeroHedge
- BP Pushing the Limits of Technology to Develop Ultra-Deep Fields | Financial Sense
- World's Largest Hedge Fund Uses Twitter For Real-Time Economic Modeling | ZeroHedge
- The Fly Wins Again | iBankCoin.com
- Foggy Action | iBankCoin.com
- The Politics of Adjustment | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- MAP: How The World Will Grow In 2014 | Business Insider
- Why Advertising's Most Powerful Female Creative Thinks So Few Women Are... | Business Insider
- 12 Fast-Growing, High-Paying Jobs In 2014 | Business Insider
- How You Should Address Getting Laid Off On Your Resume | Business Insider
- Apple Isn't Anywhere Near The Best Tech Company To Work For, According To Employees... | Business Insider
- There's A New Social Network That's Already The Number One App On iPhone | Business Insider
- Startup CEO Who Complained About San Francisco's Homeless Population Says He's '... | Business Insider