Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Candidates Confirm: No Crash This Year | Financial Sense
- "We All Work As A Team" - Millennials Explain How It's Going Living 'Rent-Free' At Home | ZeroHedge
- One More Casualty Of The 9/11 Farce - The Petrodollar | ZeroHedge
- Central Bankers To The Masses: "Let Them Eat Rate" | ZeroHedge
- Kamikaze-Kuroda & Carl Icahn Crush Facebook-Driven Stock-Feeding Frenzy | ZeroHedge
- Junk Economics: Michael Hudson Rages "Wall Street Has Taken Over The Economy.. & Is Draining It" | ZeroHedge
- Is Wall Street Cyber Secure? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Fox News anchor Chris Wallace describes the most important moment of... | Business Insider
- The 12 wealthiest public colleges in America | Business Insider
- We went inside the deadly world of daredevils and outlaws who climb massive buildings for... | Business Insider
- A major medical group just threw its weight behind E... | Business Insider
- Smart, successful people are unhappy because they have the wrong mindset | Business Insider
- The market is going to suck for the next 20 years, and you're going to have to double your... | Business Insider
- The 3 main reasons why millions of children aren’t... | Business Insider