Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Wrong Idea About Inflation | Financial Sense
- The Big Skew by Big Blue | iBankCoin.com
- A New Look for the Weekly Strategy Session | iBankCoin.com
- Close, But No Cuban Cigar | iBankCoin.com
- "We Are From The Government And We Are Here To Get Rid Of Ebola" | ZeroHedge
- The Commodities Trading Cheat-Sheet | ZeroHedge
- Earnings on Deck | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What Silicon Valley Looked Like In 1991 | Business Insider
- Whisper CEO Tells Users To Email Him If... | Business Insider
- SAT Tutor Who Charges $1,000 An Hour: Here Are 6 Tips To Master The SAT | Business Insider
- Apple Beats On iPhone Sales, But iPads Aren't Looking So Great (AAPL) | Business Insider
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider
- APPLE EARNINGS PREVIEW: Just How Massive Was The iPhone 6, Really? (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Hong Kong's Leader Says That Poor People Would Ruin A Free... | Business Insider