Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Real, Imminent Threat" That Next World War Will Be Initiated By First Strike EMP Weapon | ZeroHedge
- Should Investors Fear China’s Anti-American Protests? | Financial Sense
- Hungary's PM Orban: Trump "Better Option For Europe" | ZeroHedge
- Bernie Supporters Boo, Chant "No More Wars" As Leon Panetta Pitches Hillary's War Credentials | ZeroHedge
- Worlds Made By Hand: "Survival Of The Fittest Will Replace Checking In On Facebook" | ZeroHedge
- Un-Dovish Fed Stays On Hold, Upgrades Economy, Suggests "Risks Have Diminished", George Dissents | ZeroHedge
- Italy's Renzi Goes Toe-to-Toe with the EU over Italy's Troubled Banks | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Boom or bust ahead for fintech companies? | Business Insider
- Watch the emotional plea the mother of an Orlando victim... | Business Insider
- Beer from urine is totally safe to drink | Business Insider
- Boeing's most turbulent saga of the past decade is finally over (BA) | Business Insider
- Watch a BMW M4 lay waste to a BMW M2 in a drag race | Business Insider
- THE UK P2P LENDING... | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek