Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Barry Bannister on Greece | Financial Sense
- The Surprising Demise of Reddit | ZeroHedge
- Contagion Continues: Italy, Spain Stocks Tumble To Post-Greferendum Lows | ZeroHedge
- Now’s Really Not the Time for a Liquidity Crisis | Financial Sense
- The Complete Greek Referendum Walk-Thru: When, How, What To Expect; And What Comes Next | ZeroHedge
- Greece, China, & Russia – A Plan B For Tsipras | ZeroHedge
- Cash On A Greek Bank Account? *Poof* It’s Gone! | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- HSBC thinks Greek banks will be closed next week – whatever happens | Business Insider
- Here's Chris Christie's big problem in a nutshell | Business Insider
- These bionic ants have the ability to think independently but work together | Business Insider
- Greece faces running out of essential food supplies on Monday | Business Insider
- Reddit is in utter chaos as hundreds of its... | Business Insider
- Take this quiz to figure out what you should be eating on a daily basis | Business Insider
- The 30 best boutique hotels in America | Business Insider