Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Sees Fractional Decline in July | Financial Sense
- Guest Post: The Donald Exposed (A Reality Check For Trumpeteers) | ZeroHedge
- Zulauf and Chandler on Currency Wars, Banking Crises, and Stock Market | Financial Sense
- China Gets Creative, Turns To Swaps To Manage Yuan | ZeroHedge
- Freeport-McMoRan Up Nearly 50% Today After Carl Icahn Goes Activist, Announces 8.5% Stake | ZeroHedge
- The Greatest Con Job In Central Banking History | ZeroHedge
- Personal Spending Misses Expectations By Most Since January, Income Juiced By Government Handouts | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- IndyCar drivers find comfort in getting back to work | Business Insider
- Despite volatility, on-air rampage difficult to predict | Business Insider
- BANK OF AMERICA: US interest rate jump in September is... | Business Insider
- Egypt court sentences Al-Jazeera reporters to... | Business Insider
- Boeing gets $1.49 bln order to build 13 surveillance... | Business Insider
- A supermoon will appear this Saturday | Business Insider
- Lebanon interior minister calls for restraint in protests... | Business Insider