Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Asian Gold Premiums Hit New Highs as Europe Urged to Start Aggressive QE | Financial Sense
- And The Most Beloved Stock By Hedge Funds Is... | ZeroHedge
- A Day in the Life of Le Fly | iBankCoin.com
- And The New US Debt Ceiling Is... | ZeroHedge
- Rick Santelli: Europe Is Baking Rotten Cookies | Financial Sense
- Central Banking’s Split Personality Can’t Go On | ZeroHedge
- Argentine Inflation: It’s Tough When All You Get Is Lies | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Xbox One' Is The Name Of Microsoft's Next Gen... | Business Insider
- If The Lakers Want To Keep Dwight... | Business Insider
- The Government Doesn't Care That You're Paying 'Grossly... | Business Insider
- Market Wrap: Sprint Ponies Up... | StreetInsider.com
- Your Body Is Teeming With Fungus | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- Tomorrow Is A Big Day For Central Banks — Here's What You Need To Know | Business Insider