Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- More Bad News For European Banks? ECB Leaks "Firm Support For A Deposit Rate Cut" | ZeroHedge
- Business Inventories Jump, Sales Tumble Sending Ratio To Recession-Warning Cycle Highs | ZeroHedge
- America's National Debt Bomb Caused By The Welfare State | ZeroHedge
- Why NIRP (Negative Interest Rates) Will Fail Miserably | Financial Sense
- Crushing The "Oil's Just A Supply Issue" Meme In 1 Painful Chart | ZeroHedge
- Saudi Arabia Makes "Final" Decision To Send Troops To Syria As US, Russia Spar Over Aleppo Strikes | ZeroHedge
- "Exceptional" America Is Number 1 Again | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This 27-year-old quit her corporate finance job to travel the world... | Business Insider
- A New York sweets shop is making this crazy tie-dye macaron ice cream sandwich | Business Insider
- 4 misconceptions about getting a job after college | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (FB, TWTR, GOOG, CRTO, PUBGY) | Business Insider
- How Elon Musk got himself ready to change the world | Business Insider
- A new study shows the majority of Americans are woefully misinformed about how much they're... | Business Insider
- For $112,000 per week, you can charter this floating fortress of a superyacht... | Business Insider