Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- New Jobless Claims at 307K, a Bit Higher Than Expected | Financial Sense
- Our Money Is On This Guy | ZeroHedge
- The ECB Blinked, And Gold Once Again Proves To Be a Wealth-Saver | ZeroHedge
- Remembering The Currency Wars Of The 1920s & 1930s (And Central Banks' "Overused Bag Of Tricks") | ZeroHedge
- Get Ready For Negative Interest Rates In The US | ZeroHedge
- Near-Term FX Views and More | ZeroHedge
- Q4 Shaping Up As Worst Quarter In Years: Aggregate Revenues And EPS Have Missed By 1.2% and 0.4% So Far | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Sharapova all business to set up Bouchard showdown | Business Insider
- Greece votes in make-or-break election | Business Insider
- How Action Star Danny Trejo Was Convinced To Play Marcia Brady In Snickers... | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Sizzling Serena joins sister Venus in Australian Open... | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek