Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Lavrov Vs. McCain: Is Russia An Enemy? | ZeroHedge
- BELIEVE | ZeroHedge
- The Four Horsemen of the Retirement Apocalypse | Financial Sense
- Europe: Laughing At The Messenger | ZeroHedge
- Q1 GDP At Risk As Trade Deficit Balloons Near 9 Year Highs | ZeroHedge
- Putting It All Together... | ZeroHedge
- New Rules Force Banks To Charge For Research; Hedge Funds Push Back: "We Won't Pay For Crap" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'It's called VOICE': Trump... | Business Insider
- THE RETAILER... | Business Insider
- ISIS just pledged to attack China — here's why | Business Insider
- TRUMP: 'We cannot allow a beachhead of terrorism to form inside America' | Business Insider
- The best movies and TV shows coming to Amazon, iTunes, Hulu, and more in March... | Business Insider
- What it's really like behind the scenes at the chaotic and glamorous Oscars | Business Insider
- Trump's win is making Oprah reconsider whether... | Business Insider