Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Higher Interest Rates Good for Stocks | Financial Sense
- The Clinton Global Initiative is shutting down | ZeroHedge
- Trump Responds To CIA Chief Brennan, Asks "Was He The Leaker Of Fake News?" | ZeroHedge
- A Trade War That Cannot Be Won | Financial Sense
- India Pays the Price of Demonetization | Financial Sense
- Trump Aides Deny Plan For Summit With Putin In Reykjavik | ZeroHedge
- RealVision's 15 "Killer Charts" For Q1 2017 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 2017 will be a make-or-break year for neuroscience drugs | Business Insider
- A look-alike will stand in for Trump... | Business Insider
- What to do when someone keeps saying your name wrong, without making it awkward | Business Insider
- Here's why maple syrup jugs have teeny tiny handles | Business Insider
- The 10 best tech gadgets I used in 2016 | Business Insider
- This is what could happen if Obamacare is repealed | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek