Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ebola Patient Dr. Kent Brantly Leaves Hospital - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- News: Gold Takes a Momentary Hit; Soros Bets on Stock Crash; Ukraine Destroys Armored Russian Convoy | Financial Sense
- The Crazy-Making Fed | ZeroHedge
- An Organic Booyah to You | iBankCoin.com
- Council On Foreign Relations: The Ukraine Crisis Is the West’s – Not Putin’s – Fault | ZeroHedge
- Ebay PayPal Spin-Off - Who Knew What When? | ZeroHedge
- Let’s Not Stand on Ceremony | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A Government Agency Says The Obama Administration Broke The Law In... | Business Insider
- How 3D Printing Will Revolutionize Our World | Business Insider
- An Insane Text Message Scandal Is Taking Over The English Soccer World | Business Insider
- Jim Cramer's Stop Trading: Don't Worry About Gilead Sciences | TheStreet.com
- After-Hours Stock... | StreetInsider.com
- Pure Storage, A Startup Worth $3 Billion, Snagged A 10-Year Google Veteran... | Business Insider
- Sprint Answers Competition With Lowest 'Unlimited' Rates | TheStreet.com