Covered Call Picks (ARNA,CHK,SINA,HLF,SLW)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ARNA||Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.92||6||2.2||36.80%||Jan-13|
|CHK||Chesapeake Energy Corp||14.9||15||3.6||24.10%||Jan-13|
|SLW||Silver Wheaton Corp||25.6||26||3.9||15.20%||Jan-13|
Arena Pharmaceuticals Inc (ARNA) is currently trading at $5.92. Its 52 week range is between $1.23 and $7.02.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $14.91. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $35.75.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $54.74. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $128.17.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $45.96. Its 52 week range is $42.15 and $73.
Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW) is currently trading at $25.62. Its 52 week range is between $22.94 and $42.5.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Synthetic Biology - Using Machines to Reprogram DNA | Financial Sense
- Stockman: "At Last The Tyranny Of The Global Financial Elite Has Been Slammed" | ZeroHedge
- Brexit: Individualism > Nationalism > Globalism | ZeroHedge
- Not So Fast: Scotland And Northern Ireland May Have Brexit Veto Rights | ZeroHedge
- A few thoughts on Gold, currency and “risk free savings” in the wake of Brexit | ZeroHedge
- Forget Brexit, This Is The Ticking Time Bomb For The Markets | ZeroHedge
- The Fed's Rate Hike Plans Are Now "In Tatters" - What Wall Street Thinks | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How lesbians became Subaru's 'perfect customers' | Business Insider
- Belgium just detains two people after new anti-terror raids | Business Insider
- Jefferies just put the hype about a Wall Street rebound into perspective... | Business Insider
- You won’t recognize the new world of digital payments without... | Business Insider
- 25 simple things to give up if you want to succeed | Business Insider
- Turmoil at one of the world's largest oil producers might drive up prices | Business Insider
- Maine's first lady picks up a waitressing job to pay for a new car | Business Insider