Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ASTX,BBRY,TSLA,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||26||26||3.6||13.90%||July 2013|
|ASTX||Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.48||5.5||0.6||10.90%||July 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15||15||1.5||10.00%||July 2013|
|TSLA||Tesla Motors Inc||89.9||90||8.5||9.50%||July 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||54.9||55||5||9.00%||July 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $25.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.27 and $41.42.
Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc (ASTX) is currently trading at $5.48. Its 52 week range is between $1.57 and $6.95.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.98. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) is currently trading at $89.94. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $97.12.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $52.69.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Yellen’s Patience Is Market’s Gain | Financial Sense
- Europe’s Survival Depends on Debt Restructuring, Not Growth | Financial Sense
- While The Market Takes A Dump | iBankCoin.com
- Japan Approaches Limit To Bond Buying Former BOJ Official Okina Warns | ZeroHedge
- As The Battle For Tikrit Begins, A Map Of Who Controls What | ZeroHedge
- Breaking Bad (Debt) - Episode 3 | ZeroHedge
- As Greek Default Fears Return, Government Considers "Borrowing" Pensions To Repay IMF | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Barack Obama's go-to career advice is... | Business Insider
- This couple's budget shows how retirees can live on $31,000 a year | Business Insider
- Here's what Kim Kardashian loves most about selfies | Business Insider
- Petraeus gets to keep his Wall Street job after his plea... | Business Insider
- US auto sales slow to annualized pace of 16.2 million in February (F, GM, FCAU, TM, HMC) | Business Insider
- The Chicago Bulls have been decimated by injuries, and it might be their... | Business Insider
- Takata to double output of replacement airbags | Business Insider