Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ASTX,BBRY,TSLA,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||26||26||3.6||13.90%||July 2013|
|ASTX||Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.48||5.5||0.6||10.90%||July 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15||15||1.5||10.00%||July 2013|
|TSLA||Tesla Motors Inc||89.9||90||8.5||9.50%||July 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||54.9||55||5||9.00%||July 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $25.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.27 and $41.42.
Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc (ASTX) is currently trading at $5.48. Its 52 week range is between $1.57 and $6.95.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.98. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) is currently trading at $89.94. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $97.12.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $52.69.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Greece Deal, ADP Cheer Markets | Financial Sense
- Recession vs. Wealth Inequality | Financial Sense
- When Pigs Can No Longer Fly, It's a Big Deal | Financial Sense
- Barry Bannister on Greece | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: July 2 | ZeroHedge
- Good On You, Greece - But Don’t Waver Now (Part 2) | ZeroHedge
- "There Are Obvious Signs Of Distress" In The Manufacturing Industry | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ranked: 29 foods that Americans do best | Business Insider
- The most fascinating analyst note we've read about China in weeks isn... | Business Insider
- The fascinating scientific reason this celebrity's Instagram photo just... | Business Insider
- VAROUFAKIS: If Greece votes 'Yes... | Business Insider
- After studying 500 millionaires, a journalist noticed one characteristic they all had in common... | Business Insider
- A sea turtle strapped with a GoPro just gave us a gorgeous... | Business Insider
- Marco Rubio's support suddenly crumbled in a new poll | Business Insider