Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ASTX,BBRY,TSLA,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||26||26||3.6||13.90%||July 2013|
|ASTX||Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.48||5.5||0.6||10.90%||July 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15||15||1.5||10.00%||July 2013|
|TSLA||Tesla Motors Inc||89.9||90||8.5||9.50%||July 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||54.9||55||5||9.00%||July 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $25.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.27 and $41.42.
Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc (ASTX) is currently trading at $5.48. Its 52 week range is between $1.57 and $6.95.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.98. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) is currently trading at $89.94. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $97.12.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $52.69.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Houston "Police Officer of the Year" Indicted For Trafficking Weapons For Los Zetas Drug Cartel | ZeroHedge
- When The Math PhDs Are In Charge | ZeroHedge
- The 'Grexit' Issue and the Problem of Free Trade | Financial Sense
- The Race to Diversify - Too Much Paper, Too Little Gold | Financial Sense
- Is the Death of the US Bull Market Imminent? | Financial Sense
- "Obsessive" Buybacks Could Be Big Mistake, "Serious" People Tell Unserious People | ZeroHedge
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Real Retail Sales | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Wenger hopes for lucky 13 as Chelsea eye title | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- One of Matt Damon's Harvard professors gave him... | Business Insider
- Watch Tim Cook and Apple's top... | Business Insider
- US drone war under scrutiny after botched strike | Business Insider
- Dr. Oz responds to critics: 'My show is not a medical show' | Business Insider
- Why Amazon paid for 2,000 employees to take classes in things like... | Business Insider