Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ASTX,BBRY,TSLA,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||26||26||3.6||13.90%||July 2013|
|ASTX||Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.48||5.5||0.6||10.90%||July 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15||15||1.5||10.00%||July 2013|
|TSLA||Tesla Motors Inc||89.9||90||8.5||9.50%||July 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||54.9||55||5||9.00%||July 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $25.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.27 and $41.42.
Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc (ASTX) is currently trading at $5.48. Its 52 week range is between $1.57 and $6.95.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.98. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) is currently trading at $89.94. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $97.12.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $52.69.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Does History Say About the First Rate Hike and Stocks? | Financial Sense
- US Real Estate: The Lay of the Land | Financial Sense
- Guest Post: Why Is The US Hanging Turkey Out To Dry? | ZeroHedge
- ISIS Releases "Greatest" Piece Of Terrorist Video Propaganda In History, Tells US, Russia To "Bring It On" | ZeroHedge
- This Is China's Middle Finger For The Global Economy | ZeroHedge
- The Good Ol' Days: When Tax Rates Were 90 Percent | ZeroHedge
- Crude Slides After API Reports Another Huge Inventory Build At Cushing | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Human, technical errors to blame for Afghan hospital... | Business Insider
- Inside the dog-filled... | Business Insider
- No. 9 Tar Heels use late surge to down Kansas State, 80-70... | Business Insider
- Oklahoma up to 3rd, Iowa 4th in playoff rankings; ND to... | Business Insider
- John Deere warns that 2016 will be worse than this year for the farming business (DE)... | Business Insider
- 20 college majors where the pay goes nowhere | Business Insider
- Davis Cup debut for Edmund, alongside Murray | Business Insider