Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ASTX,BBRY,TSLA,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||26||26||3.6||13.90%||July 2013|
|ASTX||Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.48||5.5||0.6||10.90%||July 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15||15||1.5||10.00%||July 2013|
|TSLA||Tesla Motors Inc||89.9||90||8.5||9.50%||July 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||54.9||55||5||9.00%||July 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $25.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.27 and $41.42.
Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc (ASTX) is currently trading at $5.48. Its 52 week range is between $1.57 and $6.95.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.98. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) is currently trading at $89.94. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $97.12.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $52.69.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The End of the Bull Market? | Financial Sense
- Spot The Difference: Money Printing, Then And Now | ZeroHedge
- Why $50 Oil Won’t Last | Financial Sense
- New Jobless Claims at 307K, a Bit Higher Than Expected | Financial Sense
- Obamacare Website Funneling Private Consumer Data To Private Companies | ZeroHedge
- A Bunch Of Criminals | ZeroHedge
- Shocking Images Of China's Dire Pollution Problem | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Elon Musk Drops His Fight Against The Air Force | Business Insider
- That $1 Billion TransferWise Deal Is Exactly Why Mark Carney... | Business Insider
- This Is What It's Like To Drive The Tesla Model S... | Business Insider
- 6 Crazy Things Revealed In HBO's Explosive New Scientology... | Business Insider
- The Top Strategies That Apps Are Using To Stand Out In The Super-Crowded App... | Business Insider
- How The Secrets Of The Samurai Can Help You Achieve Laser-Focus | Business Insider
- 'Birdman' soars to victory at Screen Actors Guild... | Business Insider