Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ASTX,BBRY,TSLA,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||26||26||3.6||13.90%||July 2013|
|ASTX||Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.48||5.5||0.6||10.90%||July 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15||15||1.5||10.00%||July 2013|
|TSLA||Tesla Motors Inc||89.9||90||8.5||9.50%||July 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||54.9||55||5||9.00%||July 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $25.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.27 and $41.42.
Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc (ASTX) is currently trading at $5.48. Its 52 week range is between $1.57 and $6.95.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.98. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) is currently trading at $89.94. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $97.12.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $52.69.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 5 Things To Ponder: The Interest Rate Conundrum | ZeroHedge
- Humanity May Face Choice By 2040: Conventional Energy Or Drinking Water | ZeroHedge
- All You Can Eat Divergences | iBankCoin.com
- July Payrolls: 209K, Below Estimate; Unemployment Rate Rises To 6.2%; Wage Growth Below Estimate | ZeroHedge
- Fact: Bank Product Prices Rise Faster Than Income & ALL Other Expenses - Fact: YOU Can Drop Bank Product Prices Now! | ZeroHedge
- Pentagon Slams Israel's "Unacceptable" Shelling Of UN Shelters As "Totally Indefensible" | ZeroHedge
- BeYoND THe IRoN DoMe... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Congress Just Fixed A Crazy Law That Made Unlocking Your Cell Phone A Crime — But... | Business Insider
- Stocks Sink Again, Dow Down 110 (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ, TSLA, SGMS, BYI, GPRO, IWM, TLT, ARGT) | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Why Glu Mobile Stock Is Tanking in Pre-Market Trading Today | TheStreet.com
- Jobless Claims In-Line With Expectations (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ) | Business Insider
- The Gaza Conflict Is Entering Dangerous Uncharted Territory... | Business Insider
- English Soccer Player Scores Corkscrew Goal With The Outside Of His Foot | Business Insider