Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ASTX,BBRY,TSLA,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||26||26||3.6||13.90%||July 2013|
|ASTX||Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.48||5.5||0.6||10.90%||July 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15||15||1.5||10.00%||July 2013|
|TSLA||Tesla Motors Inc||89.9||90||8.5||9.50%||July 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||54.9||55||5||9.00%||July 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $25.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.27 and $41.42.
Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc (ASTX) is currently trading at $5.48. Its 52 week range is between $1.57 and $6.95.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.98. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) is currently trading at $89.94. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $97.12.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $52.69.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Legal Tender Renders Planning Impossible | ZeroHedge
- Apple's Quarter In Charts | ZeroHedge
- As Gaza Death Toll Surpasses 600 Israel Ambassador Says IDF Deserve Nobel Peace Prize For "Unimaginable Restraint" | ZeroHedge
- Despite Warmest May/June On Record, Misses Blamed On "Unseasonably Cool" Weather | ZeroHedge
- Philly Fed Business Outlook: Fifth Month of Growth | Financial Sense
- Want To Outperform The Market, Buy Illiquid Stocks (And Pray) | ZeroHedge
- BET AGAINST CARL–BLOW UP YOUR HEDGE FUND | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Facebook Crushes Earnings And The Stock Soars To An All-Time High (FB) | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- 11 Sergey Brin Quotes That Reveal How Google Became One Of The Most Powerful Companies In... | Business Insider
- NASCAR Is In Big Trouble As Team Values Continue To Shrink | Business Insider
- LEAKED: Here's What The Next Google Smartwatch Will Probably Look Like | Business Insider
- Experts Say MH17 Passengers Were Probably Unconscious Before They Knew What Was Happening | Business Insider
- How To Respond If Somebody Holds A Gun To Your Head | Business Insider