Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ASTX,BBRY,TSLA,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||26||26||3.6||13.90%||July 2013|
|ASTX||Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.48||5.5||0.6||10.90%||July 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15||15||1.5||10.00%||July 2013|
|TSLA||Tesla Motors Inc||89.9||90||8.5||9.50%||July 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||54.9||55||5||9.00%||July 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $25.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.27 and $41.42.
Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc (ASTX) is currently trading at $5.48. Its 52 week range is between $1.57 and $6.95.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.98. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) is currently trading at $89.94. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $97.12.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $52.69.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fed Admits "Changes In Asset Prices", "Decline In Equity Prices" Influenced Rate Decision | ZeroHedge
- The First Crack: Deutsche Bank Preannounces Massive Loss, May Cut Dividend | ZeroHedge
- Milton Friedman Accurately Explains Today’s Immigration Problem | Financial Sense
- Venezuela Is Now The Most Expensive Country In The World | ZeroHedge
- Hillary Pushes HFT Tax (A Day After BlackRock Warns Of "Wild Price Swings") | ZeroHedge
- Goldman "Picks Apart" The Labor Paradigm: 50 Years Of A Productivity Paradox | ZeroHedge
- Gary Dorsch: “Hundreds of Billions” in Defaults if Commodity Crash Continues | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- UN announces government of national unity for divided... | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Celebration of Peru's economic boom comes late | Business Insider
- The Latest: Nobel Peace Prize to be announced in Oslo | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- 'Dateline NBC' gathers Bill Cosby accusers for... | Business Insider
- The 12 most innovative countries in the world | Business Insider