Covered Call Picks (UNXL,ASTX,BBRY,TSLA,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|UNXL||UniPixel Inc||26||26||3.6||13.90%||July 2013|
|ASTX||Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc||5.48||5.5||0.6||10.90%||July 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||15||15||1.5||10.00%||July 2013|
|TSLA||Tesla Motors Inc||89.9||90||8.5||9.50%||July 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||54.9||55||5||9.00%||July 2013|
UniPixel Inc (UNXL) is currently trading at $25.95. Its 52 week range is between $5.27 and $41.42.
Astex Pharmaceuticals Inc (ASTX) is currently trading at $5.48. Its 52 week range is between $1.57 and $6.95.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.98. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) is currently trading at $89.94. Its 52 week range is between $25.52 and $97.12.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $52.69.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STTG Market Recap September 11, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Gold - Watch the €1000 Level | Financial Sense
- Is Your Fund Manager Equipped to Handle a Bear Market in Bonds? | ZeroHedge
- Old Technology and the Internet of Things | Financial Sense
- Financial Globalist Impose Monetary Hegemony | ZeroHedge
- Transportation Stocks Boosted by Lower Oil Prices | Financial Sense
- Russia Sends Second Humanitarian Convoy Into Ukraine, And Nobody Says A Word | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Merkel to rally fight against anti-Semitism | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Pope breaks taboo by marrying couples who lived 'in sin... | Business Insider
- Liberia To Obama: Help Us | Business Insider
- China output growth slows to 6.9% in August, govt data... | Business Insider