Covered Call Picks (VHC,AVP,TPX,END,SODA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||31||3||9.70%||Jun-12|
|AVP||Avon Products Inc||20.9||21||1.7||8.10%||Jun-12|
|TPX||Tempur-Pedic International Inc||49.9||50||3.4||6.80%||Jun-12|
|END||Endeavour International Corp||8.49||10||0.6||6.50%||Jun-12|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||36.1||37.5||1.9||5.10%||Jun-12|
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $30.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
Avon Products Inc (AVP) is currently trading at $20.89. Its 52 week range is between $16.09 and $30.63.
Tempur-Pedic International Inc (TPX) is currently trading at $49.92. Its 52 week range is between $44.5 and $87.43.
Endeavour International Corp (END) is currently trading at $8.49. Its 52 week range is $5.8 and $16.43.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $36.11. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $79.72.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Role Reversal In The New Cold War | ZeroHedge
- President Hillary Clinton Will Oppose Crude Oil Exports | Financial Sense
- Volkswagen and the Euro: Preliminary Thoughts | Financial Sense
- Bad News Piles On For Hedge Fund Hotel SunEdison: First $315MM Margin Call, Now Mass Layoffs | ZeroHedge
- Mapping Yellen and the Global Landscape | Financial Sense
- Saudi Oil Minister Puts On Brave Face Amid Severe Headwinds: "Eventually, Economic Producers Will Prevail" | ZeroHedge
- Oil Spikes To Highest In Over A Month, As Syria Proxy War Jitters Escalate | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ben Carson just had an epic 'The View' interview about Nazis, evolution, and... | Business Insider
- Samsung flags nearly 80% jump in Q3 operating profit | Business Insider
- Bank of China ordered to release counterfeiters'... | Business Insider
- US, states finalize settlement with BP over gulf oil spill... | Business Insider
- Kajita, McDonald win Nobel physics prize | Business Insider
- Lawyer: Decision on Pistorius' release delayed again | Business Insider
- Syrian rebels face a new reality amid Russian air... | Business Insider