Covered Call Picks (VHC,AVP,TPX,END,SODA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||31||3||9.70%||Jun-12|
|AVP||Avon Products Inc||20.9||21||1.7||8.10%||Jun-12|
|TPX||Tempur-Pedic International Inc||49.9||50||3.4||6.80%||Jun-12|
|END||Endeavour International Corp||8.49||10||0.6||6.50%||Jun-12|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||36.1||37.5||1.9||5.10%||Jun-12|
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $30.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
Avon Products Inc (AVP) is currently trading at $20.89. Its 52 week range is between $16.09 and $30.63.
Tempur-Pedic International Inc (TPX) is currently trading at $49.92. Its 52 week range is between $44.5 and $87.43.
Endeavour International Corp (END) is currently trading at $8.49. Its 52 week range is $5.8 and $16.43.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $36.11. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $79.72.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Futures Soar On Swiss NIRP Stunner, "Considerably Patient" Fed | ZeroHedge
- Why The US Is About To Be Flooded With Record Oil Production Due To Plunging Oil Prices | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: December 18 | ZeroHedge
- Draghi Risks Becoming the Boy Who Cried Wolf Over QE | Financial Sense
- Competition Finally Upsets the Biggest Monopoly of All: OPEC | Financial Sense
- Does Russia Present a Systemic Threat to Global Markets? | Financial Sense
- Comstock Suspends Drilling In Eagle Ford Due To Plunging Oil Prices | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- N.Korea calls for joint probe with US into Sony hack | Business Insider
- Pakistan slammed for resuming executions after... | Business Insider
- 9 Great Headphones And Sound Systems That Will Arrive By Christmas Eve | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- Young People Are Risky Investors — And It Isn't Paying Off | Business Insider
- Sony Just Set A Terrible Precedent, One That Will... | Business Insider
- Why The Bears Benched Jay Cutler After Giving Him $54 Million | Business Insider