Covered Call Picks (VHC,AVP,TPX,END,SODA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||31||3||9.70%||Jun-12|
|AVP||Avon Products Inc||20.9||21||1.7||8.10%||Jun-12|
|TPX||Tempur-Pedic International Inc||49.9||50||3.4||6.80%||Jun-12|
|END||Endeavour International Corp||8.49||10||0.6||6.50%||Jun-12|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||36.1||37.5||1.9||5.10%||Jun-12|
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $30.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
Avon Products Inc (AVP) is currently trading at $20.89. Its 52 week range is between $16.09 and $30.63.
Tempur-Pedic International Inc (TPX) is currently trading at $49.92. Its 52 week range is between $44.5 and $87.43.
Endeavour International Corp (END) is currently trading at $8.49. Its 52 week range is $5.8 and $16.43.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $36.11. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $79.72.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- It’s a green back for a reason!! | ZeroHedge
- This Is Where The IMF's Christine Lagarde Is Working On Her Tan Right Now | ZeroHedge
- China, Europe & Earnings at Home | Financial Sense
- Speak, Switzerland! | Financial Sense
- The Housing Recovery Has Been Canceled Due To Data Revisions | ZeroHedge
- Gold Prices to 1-Week Low as Safe Haven Demand Falls | Financial Sense
- The “New Normal” in EM Ex-China | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Several Reported Injured After A Shooting At A High School In... | Business Insider
- Americans Can't Stop Working, And It's Becoming A... | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Mali seeks to contain Ebola fears after girl dies | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- The 4 Most Common Negotiation Mistakes — And How To Avoid Them | Business Insider
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell | Business Insider