Covered Call Picks (VHC,AVP,TPX,END,SODA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||31||3||9.70%||Jun-12|
|AVP||Avon Products Inc||20.9||21||1.7||8.10%||Jun-12|
|TPX||Tempur-Pedic International Inc||49.9||50||3.4||6.80%||Jun-12|
|END||Endeavour International Corp||8.49||10||0.6||6.50%||Jun-12|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||36.1||37.5||1.9||5.10%||Jun-12|
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $30.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
Avon Products Inc (AVP) is currently trading at $20.89. Its 52 week range is between $16.09 and $30.63.
Tempur-Pedic International Inc (TPX) is currently trading at $49.92. Its 52 week range is between $44.5 and $87.43.
Endeavour International Corp (END) is currently trading at $8.49. Its 52 week range is $5.8 and $16.43.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $36.11. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $79.72.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Continues to Expand | Financial Sense
- Housing Starts Plunge Due to Horrific Data From the South | Financial Sense
- Russia Touts South Stream Pipeline As Europe’s Gas Lifeline | ZeroHedge
- Five Stocks Giving a Nice View Today | iBankCoin.com
- Three Charts Of The Week: Money Printing Is Not Bringing Prosperity To Main Street | ZeroHedge
- As Fracking Expands, So Does Opposition – Even In Texas | Financial Sense
- They Call Them Junk Bonds For A Reason... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Can You Identify These Brands By Their Signature Fonts Alone? | Business Insider
- Two Americans Killed In First Major... | Business Insider
- DEUTSCHE BANK: Here's The Worst-Case Scenario For The Russia-Ukraine... | Business Insider
- KERRY: 'Drunken' Separatists Are Piling Bodies At Ukraine... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- 3 Biotech Stocks Breaking Out on Big Volume | TheStreet.com
- CHART OF THE DAY: The New NXT Cryptocurrency Has A Long Way To... | Business Insider