Covered Call Picks (VHC,AVP,TPX,END,SODA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||31||3||9.70%||Jun-12|
|AVP||Avon Products Inc||20.9||21||1.7||8.10%||Jun-12|
|TPX||Tempur-Pedic International Inc||49.9||50||3.4||6.80%||Jun-12|
|END||Endeavour International Corp||8.49||10||0.6||6.50%||Jun-12|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||36.1||37.5||1.9||5.10%||Jun-12|
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $30.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
Avon Products Inc (AVP) is currently trading at $20.89. Its 52 week range is between $16.09 and $30.63.
Tempur-Pedic International Inc (TPX) is currently trading at $49.92. Its 52 week range is between $44.5 and $87.43.
Endeavour International Corp (END) is currently trading at $8.49. Its 52 week range is $5.8 and $16.43.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $36.11. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $79.72.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Furious Chinese Rioters Beat Corrupt Policemen To Death | ZeroHedge
- STTG Q1 2014 Survey Results | FundMyMutualFund
- Solar Boombox | iBankCoin.com
- Capturing the Morning Market View from Afar | iBankCoin.com
- Unhappy Earth Day | ZeroHedge
- Big Four Economic Indicators See Strong Advance | Financial Sense
- Japan Trade Deficit Largest in History; Imports Soar, Exports Barely Up | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These 6 GIFs Show How Drastically Planet Earth Is Changing | Business Insider
- Man Allegedly Steals Woman's Dog And Samsung Television... | Business Insider
- Here Are All The Ways You Should Be Using LinkedIn's Apps But Probably Aren't | Business Insider
- Apple Has A New Ad That Teases Samsung And Other Companies That Copy Apple (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Why HubSpot Changes Where People Sit Every 6 To 8 Months | Business Insider
- The Double-Breasted Suit Is Back For Spring — Here's How Guys Should Wear It... | Business Insider
- 19 New Works Of Art That Have The World Buzzing | Business Insider