Covered Call Picks (VHC,AVP,TPX,END,SODA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||31||3||9.70%||Jun-12|
|AVP||Avon Products Inc||20.9||21||1.7||8.10%||Jun-12|
|TPX||Tempur-Pedic International Inc||49.9||50||3.4||6.80%||Jun-12|
|END||Endeavour International Corp||8.49||10||0.6||6.50%||Jun-12|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||36.1||37.5||1.9||5.10%||Jun-12|
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $30.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
Avon Products Inc (AVP) is currently trading at $20.89. Its 52 week range is between $16.09 and $30.63.
Tempur-Pedic International Inc (TPX) is currently trading at $49.92. Its 52 week range is between $44.5 and $87.43.
Endeavour International Corp (END) is currently trading at $8.49. Its 52 week range is $5.8 and $16.43.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $36.11. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $79.72.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dispatches from Occupied Territory – Fear is the Mind Killer | ZeroHedge
- The Eurozone Is a Growing Problem for U.S. Economy | Financial Sense
- Late Night Strategy for Tuesday | iBankCoin.com
- Q2 GDP Revised Upward | Financial Sense
- European Close Sends S&P Tumbling Back Below 2,000 | ZeroHedge
- Consumer Sentiment Bounces Back for August | Financial Sense
- The Manufacturing World Suddenly Goes Into Reverse: Global August PMI Summary | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- We Still Don't Have Assurance From Apple That iCloud Is Safe (AAPL) | Business Insider
- I Grew Up Surrounded By Organized Crime In The 1960s —... | Business Insider
- Dollar General Offers Major Antitrust Concessions as It Lifts Bid for Family Dollar | TheStreet.com
- US MANUFACTURING JUMPS TO HIGHEST LEVEL SINCE APRIL 2010 | Business Insider
- Pre-Open... | StreetInsider.com
- An American Freelance Journalist Died... | Business Insider
- Microsoft Might Be About To Make A Giant Move Into Android Phone Software (... | Business Insider