Covered Call Picks (VHC,AVP,TPX,END,SODA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||31||3||9.70%||Jun-12|
|AVP||Avon Products Inc||20.9||21||1.7||8.10%||Jun-12|
|TPX||Tempur-Pedic International Inc||49.9||50||3.4||6.80%||Jun-12|
|END||Endeavour International Corp||8.49||10||0.6||6.50%||Jun-12|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||36.1||37.5||1.9||5.10%||Jun-12|
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $30.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
Avon Products Inc (AVP) is currently trading at $20.89. Its 52 week range is between $16.09 and $30.63.
Tempur-Pedic International Inc (TPX) is currently trading at $49.92. Its 52 week range is between $44.5 and $87.43.
Endeavour International Corp (END) is currently trading at $8.49. Its 52 week range is $5.8 and $16.43.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $36.11. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $79.72.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Energy & The Economy - Why Society Will Be Forced To Become Less Complex | ZeroHedge
- Sell, Sell, Sell... The Central Bank Madmen Are Raging | ZeroHedge
- The Unfolding Economic Crisis in Europe | Financial Sense
- Great Graphic: Shifting Center of World Economy | Financial Sense
- Year-End Rally | Financial Sense
- As the ‘Sanctions War’ Heats Up, Will Putin Play His Gold Card? | Financial Sense
- Artist's Impression Of "Change" After Obama's Historic Immigration Decree | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 24 More Incredible Images You Won't Believe Were Found On Google Street View | Business Insider
- Stocks Are Now So Fantastically Expensive That They Will Likely Have Negative Returns For Years | Business Insider
- Retire in Toledo? 12 Surprising Places That Best Serve Older Americans | TheStreet.com
- Messi breaks Liga record with hat-trick as Barca romp | Business Insider
- Suicide blast at Afghan volleyball game kills 50:... | Business Insider
- Suicide blast in Afghan sports field kills 50: official | Business Insider
- The Best 'Cheap Eats' In Chicago | Business Insider