Covered Call Picks (VHC,AVP,TPX,END,SODA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||31||3||9.70%||Jun-12|
|AVP||Avon Products Inc||20.9||21||1.7||8.10%||Jun-12|
|TPX||Tempur-Pedic International Inc||49.9||50||3.4||6.80%||Jun-12|
|END||Endeavour International Corp||8.49||10||0.6||6.50%||Jun-12|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||36.1||37.5||1.9||5.10%||Jun-12|
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $30.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
Avon Products Inc (AVP) is currently trading at $20.89. Its 52 week range is between $16.09 and $30.63.
Tempur-Pedic International Inc (TPX) is currently trading at $49.92. Its 52 week range is between $44.5 and $87.43.
Endeavour International Corp (END) is currently trading at $8.49. Its 52 week range is $5.8 and $16.43.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $36.11. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $79.72.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- It's "Judgment Time": Goldman Sees Three Options For Traders | ZeroHedge
- Imagining a World After Fossil Fuels | Financial Sense
- "They're Baaack! And Why You Should Be Worried – Very Worried" | ZeroHedge
- Condo Flippers In Miami-Dade Left Twisting In The Wind | ZeroHedge
- On The Edge Of An "Uncontrollable Liquidity Event": The Definitive Guide To China's Financial System | ZeroHedge
- McCain: "The New World Order Is Under Enormous Strain" | ZeroHedge
- Why The Healthcare Reform Bill Went Down In Flames | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- GOLDMAN SACHS: Another oil glut is coming in 2018 | Business Insider
- This simple massage tool can alleviate muscle pain and headaches in 15 minutes | Business Insider
- The 6 most expensive products Apple has ever sold (AAPL) | Business Insider
- 13 rules for using commas without looking like an idiot | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- There's a reason the job market doesn't feel like it... | Business Insider
- China: Even if we're... | Business Insider