Covered Call Picks (VHC,AVP,TPX,END,SODA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||31||3||9.70%||Jun-12|
|AVP||Avon Products Inc||20.9||21||1.7||8.10%||Jun-12|
|TPX||Tempur-Pedic International Inc||49.9||50||3.4||6.80%||Jun-12|
|END||Endeavour International Corp||8.49||10||0.6||6.50%||Jun-12|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||36.1||37.5||1.9||5.10%||Jun-12|
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $30.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
Avon Products Inc (AVP) is currently trading at $20.89. Its 52 week range is between $16.09 and $30.63.
Tempur-Pedic International Inc (TPX) is currently trading at $49.92. Its 52 week range is between $44.5 and $87.43.
Endeavour International Corp (END) is currently trading at $8.49. Its 52 week range is $5.8 and $16.43.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $36.11. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $79.72.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Chinese Economic Activity Has Probably Slowed To Less Than 3%" | ZeroHedge
- The Circus Is In Town | ZeroHedge
- ISM Manufacturing Index: Slowest Growth in Thirteen Months | Financial Sense
- 3 Things - New Highs, Dollar Rally, Margin Debt | ZeroHedge
- And The Market Breaks | ZeroHedge
- Jim Puplava on U.S. Recession, Fed Rate Hikes, and Short-Term Correction | Financial Sense
- What Wall Street, And Twitter, Expect From Today's Payrolls Number | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions 3/6: (LTM) (TRGT) | StreetInsider.com
- The real story of how a Dallas nurse got Ebola could be worse than we... | Business Insider
- Find your favorite Apple Watch with this website that lets you mix and match... | Business Insider
- The first crop of Apple Watch apps will likely be battery hogs, says a guy that... | Business Insider
- Greece, QE programme to top ECB meeting in Nicosia | Business Insider
- Six years ago, Janet Yellen knew the Fed haters were out there — and she knew... | Business Insider
- Humans are about to make our first visit to a dwarf planet — a mission more... | Business Insider