Covered Call Picks (VHC,AVP,TPX,END,SODA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|VHC||VirnetX Holding Corp||31||31||3||9.70%||Jun-12|
|AVP||Avon Products Inc||20.9||21||1.7||8.10%||Jun-12|
|TPX||Tempur-Pedic International Inc||49.9||50||3.4||6.80%||Jun-12|
|END||Endeavour International Corp||8.49||10||0.6||6.50%||Jun-12|
|SODA||Sodastream International Ltd||36.1||37.5||1.9||5.10%||Jun-12|
VirnetX Holding Corp (VHC) is currently trading at $30.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.01 and $41.77.
Avon Products Inc (AVP) is currently trading at $20.89. Its 52 week range is between $16.09 and $30.63.
Tempur-Pedic International Inc (TPX) is currently trading at $49.92. Its 52 week range is between $44.5 and $87.43.
Endeavour International Corp (END) is currently trading at $8.49. Its 52 week range is $5.8 and $16.43.
Sodastream International Ltd (SODA) is currently trading at $36.11. Its 52 week range is between $27.6 and $79.72.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Let's Take Them On!": Libor E-mails Of Christian Bittar Revealed | ZeroHedge
- When To Put On Bill Gross' Big Bund Short: Citi Explains | ZeroHedge
- Nasdaq Traders (Summarized In 17 Seconds) | ZeroHedge
- Is the Death of the US Bull Market Imminent? | Financial Sense
- Are You Faster Than A Stock Market Spoofer? | ZeroHedge
- Half a Bubble Off Dead Center | Financial Sense
- Gold, The SDR, & BRICS | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Diet Pepsi is getting rid of one of its cornerstone ingredients in a desperate attempt to... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- A former Navy captain just identified the biggest flaw in the US's... | Business Insider
- People are already testing how long the Apple Watch can survive underwater (... | Business Insider
- Boko Haram retakes NE town from Nigerian army | Business Insider
- Comcast ends $45 bn bid for Time Warner Cable | Business Insider
- 7 of the best coffee makers around | Business Insider