Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- New Reuters Poll Shows That 70% Of Republicans Think The Election Is Rigged | ZeroHedge
- US 'Relocated' ISIS Terrorists Out Of Iraq, Into Syria To Fight Assad | ZeroHedge
- Clinton Email That Caused The "Quid Pro Quo" Controversy Included Intel On Benghazi Attackers | ZeroHedge
- "Prepare For More Volatility As Yield 'Hunger Games' Comes To An End" | ZeroHedge
- AT&T Agrees To Buy Time Warner For $80 Billion In Biggest Media Mega-Merger In Years | ZeroHedge
- December Rate Hike Considerations | Financial Sense
- Europe's Central Bank Is in a Bind Over Bonds | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What you need to know on Wall Street right now | Business Insider
- Donald Trump made a noticeable shift in rhetoric on his plans for a border wall | Business Insider
- 12 high-paying jobs college students can do in their spare time | Business Insider
- 48 anti-government protesters were shot, burned, beat... | Business Insider
- Venezuela is on edge after a referendum to remove Nicolas... | Business Insider
- Here's what's inside the new Google pop-up shop where nothing... | Business Insider
- The 25 best hotels in the world, according to Condé Nast... | Business Insider