Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Can Stocks Survive Without Stimulus? | Financial Sense
- As Congress Prepares To Crackdown On Epipen Price Increases, A Problem Has Emerged | ZeroHedge
- Trump Demands Special Prosecutor To Investigate Clinton's "Email Crimes" | ZeroHedge
- Fed Admits Another $4 Trillion In QE Will Be Needed To Offset An "Economic Shock" | ZeroHedge
- Illinois Warns Of "Crippling Tax Hikes", "Devastating Impact" If Largest Pension Fund Admits Reality | ZeroHedge
- Demographic HomeMageddon Underway... Will Last Until At Least 2035 | ZeroHedge
- How Does 2016 Compare to Stock Market Peaks in 2000 and 2007? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This is how Taco Bell, Starbucks, and other fast-food chains are... | Business Insider
- Here's a breakdown of how much an Olympic gold medal is really worth | Business Insider
- Researchers have created technology that can talk to Wi-Fi | Business Insider
- Understanding VCs | Business Insider
- The 3 coolest things about the new, slimmer PlayStation 4 | Business Insider
- Virginia governor restores voting rights to 13,000 felons | Business Insider
- Turkish tanks, jets, and special forces... | Business Insider