Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Bad News Is Bad News"? 30Y Yield Plunges Under 3.00%, Stocks & USD Slide After GDP Miss | ZeroHedge
- LinkedIn Pumps'n'Dumps As Revenue Growth Rate Continues To Slow | ZeroHedge
- Pause, Reload, Then Shoot | iBankCoin.com
- Busiest Day of Q2 Earnings Season | Financial Sense
- Did Planned Parenthood Just "Hack" Its Own Website As A Publicity Stunt? | ZeroHedge
- Conditions in the US Are Improving, Not Deteriorating | Financial Sense
- Gartman Is No Longer Bearish | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'The Saudis do not have as much clout as the market gives... | Business Insider
- Congress is leaving behind a pile of... | Business Insider
- Most New Yorkers are convinced they work harder than everyone else (even though they... | Business Insider
- The tragic story of Cecil the lion and the American dentist that killed... | Business Insider
- An ex-NBA player who blew nearly $100 million is turning his life around while working... | Business Insider
- Google has a brilliant new tool for avoiding long lines at stores and restaurants... | Business Insider
- A Nigerian general is leading a multi-national... | Business Insider