Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stocks Are On Borrowed Time | ZeroHedge
- QE’s Seeds Are Already Sown | ZeroHedge
- Silver, Copper Slammed As Commodities Crumble Into US Open | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Gold Prices to 1-Week Low as Safe Haven Demand Falls | Financial Sense
- Markets Explode Higher As Bank Of Japan Goes All-In-er; Increases QE To JPY 80 Trillion | ZeroHedge
- The Colder War: How the Global Energy Trade Slipped From America's Grasp | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How An Oil Engineer Discovered Auto-Tune And Changed The Music Industry Forever | Business Insider
- Microsoft Has Fired Its Entire Global Advertising Sales Team (MSFT) | Business Insider
- Stephen Hawking Gave Filmmakers A Priceless Gift After Watching The... | Business Insider
- Charles Barkley Explains How Michael Jordan... | Business Insider
- YELLEN: Would More Diversity Among Economists Have Helped Prevent The Financial Crisis? | Business Insider
- LinkedIn Beats, Stock Falls, Then Rises (LNKD) | Business Insider
- Michael Jordan Explains The Biggest Way The NBA Has Changed For The Worse Since He Played | Business Insider