Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Russell 2000 Breaks Below Key Technical Level | ZeroHedge
- Spot The "Recovering" European Periphery | ZeroHedge
- To Be Clear, The Fed Dropping Guidance Was A Big Deal | iBankCoin.com
- EU Takes Steps Toward Energy Independence From Russia | Financial Sense
- India’s Nuclear Energy Future at Risk in Elections | Financial Sense
- Risk On, Regardless | Financial Sense
- Bank Of America Reports Q1 Loss On Massive Legal Charge, Ongoing Operations Disappoint As NIM Tumbles | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Sitting At Work Is Deadly, So We Tried A Treadmill Desk | Business Insider
- Global Indices Fall Amid Ukraine, China Concerns | TheStreet.com
- STOCKS CLIMB, NASDAQ LAGS AGAIN: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- NETFLIX: Our Streaming Speeds Got A Lot Faster Since We Started Paying Comcast | Business Insider
- Asian Markets Rise | Business Insider
- Watch This Breathtaking Video Of Russian Soldiers Parachuting Onto Arctic Ice | Business Insider
- Gold Demand In China Is All About The Exchange Of Wedding Gifts (GLD) | Business Insider