Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Economy of the Future | Financial Sense
- The Russell is Sobering Up Before Christmas | iBankCoin.com
- Futures Fail To Levitate Overnight On Repeated Central-Planning Failures Around The Globe | ZeroHedge
- So, This is How Lululemon Just Announced the Firm’s New CEO | iBankCoin.com
- (Part IV) Bail-In Regimes - The Key Attributes and Who Is Driving? | ZeroHedge
- One Time! | iBankCoin.com
- WTF Chart Of The Day: VIX Slamdown Edition | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Android Dominates... | Business Insider
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell (QQQ, SPY, DIA) | Business Insider
- 5 Skills Of Disruptive Innovators | Business Insider
- Vladimir Putin Just Dissolved A Major State-Run Media Organization That's Been Around For Decades | Business Insider
- CHART OF THE DAY: Economists Around The World Have Been Slashing Their Inflation... | Business Insider
- New Study Finds That More Attractive Students Have... | Business Insider
- The 19 Best GIFs From NFL Week 14 | Business Insider