Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Q2 GDP Revised Upward | Financial Sense
- A Rare Glimpse Inside The NY Fed's Favorite 'Quote-Stuffing' Hedge Fund: Citadel | ZeroHedge
- In Iraq, the United States and Iran Align Against the Islamic State | Financial Sense
- Bank of Japan Refrains From Deepening Stimulus | Financial Sense
- The 'Wages-Fuel-Demand' Fallacy | ZeroHedge
- Corporations Join Droves Renouncing US Citizenship | ZeroHedge
- Sunday Matinee at Chess Cinemas | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable 52-Week... | StreetInsider.com
- Williams-Sonoma Earnings: What Wall Street's Saying | TheStreet.com
- 10 TV Shows to Binge Watch Before the Fall Season | TheStreet.com
- Scotland hosts World Haggis Eating championship | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Market Wrap... | StreetInsider.com
- Libyan Militiamen Take Over Part Of An Evacuated US Embassy... | Business Insider