Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- BLS Jobs Report Perfect for Goldilocks | Financial Sense
- Like Dripping Silver Icicles | Financial Sense
- WHO Warns Ebola Outbreak Out Of Control, "High Risk Of Spread To Other Countries" | ZeroHedge
- And Now Facebook Is Down | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Open Weak - Lose All July Gains | ZeroHedge
- Consumer Confidence Surges; Highest Since the 2007 Market Peak | Financial Sense
- M.A.D. Sanctions; Two Games at Once | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Commodities Traders Have Succumbed To Their 'Widowmaker Trade' | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Why Glu Mobile Stock Is Tanking in Pre-Market Trading Today | TheStreet.com
- Take a Look at ANA's New Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, Set to Fly Monday | TheStreet.com
- Here's How Chris Pratt Got Ripped For Marvel's 'Guardians Of The Galaxy... | Business Insider
- Meet The Award-Winning Ad Man Who Quit His Job To Become A Bus Driver | Business Insider