Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Mind the Fade | iBankCoin.com
- FX-Rigging Probe Settlement Accelerates With UK Regulator | ZeroHedge
- As Gaza Death Toll Surpasses 600 Israel Ambassador Says IDF Deserve Nobel Peace Prize For "Unimaginable Restraint" | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Premier Li Admits Central Planning May Not Be Optimal | ZeroHedge
- Biotech Investors "Fight The Fed" | ZeroHedge
- MYSTeRiouS WHiTe FLaGs... | ZeroHedge
- US: Just TRUST Us, We Wouldn't Lie … and Those Iraq War Lies Are ANCIENT HISTORY | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- One Out Of Every 21 New Yorkers Is A Millionaire | Business Insider
- The Best Universities In 35 Major Countries Around The Globe | Business Insider
- Apple Sold More Than 35 Million iPhones Last Quarter, But Whiffed On iPad Sales Again (... | Business Insider
- Inovio Declares Spin-Laden Victory With DNA Vaccine | TheStreet.com
- William Shatner Reviewed Facebook's App For Celebrities And He's Not... | Business Insider
- 5 Great Places to Retire Without a Car | TheStreet.com
- Greenberg: Ackman and Herbalife -- The Day After | TheStreet.com