Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Air We Breathe | ZeroHedge
- The US Constitution (2015 Edition) | ZeroHedge
- ECB Strikes Back: Threatens With Greek Deposit Haircut If And When ELA Found To Be "Illegal" On Wednesday | ZeroHedge
- Greece Will Open 700 Bank Branches On Thursday - For Limited Pension Withdrawals Only | ZeroHedge
- Late Night Talkin’ Greasy | iBankCoin.com
- Market Recap Jun 29, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- VIX Bursts Above 17.5 As Sleep-Walking Markets Awake | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Asia markets hit by Greece fears, Shanghai plunges | Business Insider
- Uber's numbers seem ugly either way you look at them | Business Insider
- South Sudan army raped then burnt girls alive: UN | Business Insider
- A Russian billionaire is reportedly building the world's largest sailing yacht | Business Insider
- This investor has an interesting theory on what... | Business Insider
- A Virginia mom worried not enough people would come to her son... | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek