Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Greek Neo-Nazi Party Trial Begins On Hitler's Birthday; Supporters Attack Witnesses | ZeroHedge
- The Global Central Banking Cartel is Beginning to Splinter | ZeroHedge
- Luck and the Paradox of Skill | Financial Sense
- Crude Prices Surge as the Pieces Fall Into Place | Financial Sense
- Did Greece Just Launch Capital Controls: "Mandatory Cash Transfer" Decreed Due To "Extremely Urgent Need" | ZeroHedge
- Implications of the Secular Stagnation Debate | Financial Sense
- Key Events In The Coming Week | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Pentagon: The Navy sent warships near Yemen but NOT to intercept Iranian... | Business Insider
- Shares of drugmaker Mylan are going wild after news of a possible buyout (MYL,... | Business Insider
- How to download a copy of your Google search history | Business Insider
- Operation to recover Germanwings debris ends in French... | Business Insider
- The IMF's scary warning about the bond market might not be scary enough | Business Insider
- 'Worst-ever' migrant shipwreck prompts calls for... | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek