Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STTG Market Recap Jan 26, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- 2 Foot "Quad-Copter" Crashed On White House Grounds | ZeroHedge
- Did Goldman Just Call The Top Of The "Strong Dollar" Trade | ZeroHedge
- Israel's President Refuses To Meet With Obama | ZeroHedge
- Jeffrey Saut Makes Long-Term Bullish Case for US Stocks | Financial Sense
- The Greek Drama Has Ended | iBankCoin.com
- Why Oil Prices Will Be "Lower For Longer" In 3 Simple Charts | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Market Wrap: Left-Wing Party... | StreetInsider.com
- FBI Agent Explains How Russia's Foreign Spy Operations... | Business Insider
- The Amount Americans Are Driving Hasn't Surged Like This In 10 Years (... | Business Insider
- Obama ramps up pressure on Russia after deadly Ukraine... | Business Insider
- Greece's Radical Anti-Austerity Movement Just Won Power: Here... | Business Insider
- Johnny Depp Has His Fifth Box-Office Bomb In A Row | Business Insider
- When Marissa Mayer Became CEO Of Yahoo, She Let Thousands Of Employees Ditch Their... | Business Insider