Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Starting 2016 With A Bang: Challenger Reports Highest January Layoffs Since 2009 | ZeroHedge
- KeYNeSiaN BuLL$H#T BaLLaDS... | ZeroHedge
- The Chart Of Doom: When Private Credit Stops Expanding... | ZeroHedge
- US, Japan, Canada, Australia and 8 Other Countries Sign Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement | ZeroHedge
- DAX Plunges To 1 Year Lows As Deutsche Bank CoCos Crash, Italian Bank Stocks Slide | ZeroHedge
- How the Fed Is Suffocating the Economy | Financial Sense
- Futures Unchanged, Global Stock Algos Anemic Ahead Of U.S. Payrolls Report | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- It's not looking good for the restaurant... | Business Insider
- Erdogan says Syria peace... | Business Insider
- Are you a market expert? Tell us your outlook on 2016 | Business Insider
- Apple’s CEO just gave the company a bunch of hints... | Business Insider
- 6 military stereotypes that are just plain wrong | Business Insider
- 'Making a Murderer' subject Steven Avery's sons speak out about... | Business Insider
- Here's when you should buy high yield | Business Insider