Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- VIX "Fat Finger" Flash Crash Runs S&P Green Stops | ZeroHedge
- Bill Ackman's Pershing Square Plunges Over 20% In Past Two Months, Loses Nearly $4 Billion In AUM | ZeroHedge
- If You Work Here, Quit Before You Are Fired: The 20 Largest US Layoff Announcements Of 2015 | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Stocks Face Their Biggest Test In 8 Years | ZeroHedge
- Stock Market Reaches Key Post-Crash Milestone | ZeroHedge
- Simply Dreadful US Jobs Report | Financial Sense
- Volkswagen: A Decade Of Deception - Full Chronology | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These medical diagnoses are too strange to believe | Business Insider
- What it takes to serve in the Navy's elite warfare boat crew | Business Insider
- David Cassidy charged with leaving scene of crash | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- This haunted house takes photos of people's reactions to getting scared... | Business Insider
- No. 15 Oklahoma beats No. 23 West Virginia 44-24 | Business Insider
- A complete guide to grocery store labels | Business Insider