Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ron Paul: "Americans Must Choose Non-Interventionist Free Markets For Peace & Prosperity" | ZeroHedge
- The Five Cities Most At Risk For The Next Big Earthquake | ZeroHedge
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Going Out on a Light Note | iBankCoin.com
- For $1 Million You Have A Choice: 15 Square Meters In Monaco Or A Trailer In The Hamptons | ZeroHedge
- The Gilded Age of Yesterday is Nothing Compared to Now | iBankCoin.com
- Everyone's Fighting The Fed Now | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Chipotle Says It Will Completely Replace Fast Food Chains | Business Insider
- Watch A Wall Street CEO Disrobe And Do An Ice Bucket Challenge In His Jacuzzi | Business Insider
- HOUSE OF THE DAY: A Cell-Phone Industry Billionaire Is Selling His Canadian Island... | Business Insider
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know Today | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the Day 8/27: (LIVE) (... | StreetInsider.com
- Cooper Tire's (CTB) CCT Unit Valued... | StreetInsider.com
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell (DIA, SPY, QQQ, BBY) | Business Insider