Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Artist's Impression Of The First Thanksgiving | ZeroHedge
- My Worst Day In Three Years | iBankCoin.com
- HAHAHAHA- YOU PEOPLE HAVE DONE LOST YOUR MINDS | iBankCoin.com
- Technician: Gold May Take Several Quarters, If Not Years, To Recover | Financial Sense
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Increased Again in October | Financial Sense
- Copper & Crude Crash To 4 Year Lows | ZeroHedge
- Oil Prices Collapse After OPEC Keeps Oil Production Unchanged - Live Conference Feed | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here Are The Strange Criteria That Matter At 'The National Dog Show... | Business Insider
- Russia's Economy Ministry: 'We Will Not Collapse!' | Business Insider
- Check Out The Cast of Star Wars VII During A Script Read-Through... | Business Insider
- I Was So Impressed With This New British Bank That I Opened An Account | Business Insider
- TheStreet’s 36-Hour Black Friday 2014 Door-Buster Live Blog | TheStreet.com
- THE PROGRAMMATIC ADVERTISING REPORT: Real-Time Bidding Is Taking Over The Digital Ad... | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek