Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Was The Government Lying Then, Or Now? | ZeroHedge
- 2-Year T-Note Shows Path for FOMC | Financial Sense
- 10 Reasons Washington Has War Fever | ZeroHedge
- When Will the Fed Hike Rates? It All Comes Down to “Patience” | Financial Sense
- LOOK AT ME: DO I APPEAR TO BE SCARED? | iBankCoin.com
- Annaly CEO: Central Bankers Are Witch Doctors, Demands "Return To Market-Driven Pricing" | ZeroHedge
- Push Back: Impacts of a Rising Dollar on Corporate Earnings | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This quote from former chess champion Garry Kasparov... | Business Insider
- Jailed Kurdish leader in Turkey urges PKK to lay down... | Business Insider
- The 13 Snapchat stars everyone should be watching | Business Insider
- Top GOP operative calls Scott Walker 'kind of a dumba--... | Business Insider
- Twitter is launching a new tool to combat online abuse (TWTR) | Business Insider
- Mesmerizing time-lapse of Arby's 13-hour commercial showing brisket being smoked | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek