Covered Call Picks (NUGT,WLT,SPWR,TIVO,GRPN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NUGT||Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs||11.9||12||1.9||15.50%||June 2013|
|WLT||Walter Energy Inc||17.4||17.5||1.8||10.10%||June 2013|
|SPWR||SunPower Corp||14.9||15||1.5||9.80%||June 2013|
|TIVO||TiVo Inc||11.9||12||1.1||9.60%||June 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.84||6||0.5||9.20%||June 2013|
Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bull 3X Shrs (NUGT) is currently trading at $11.94. Its 52 week range is between $9.61 and $97.05.
Walter Energy Inc (WLT) is currently trading at $17.35. Its 52 week range is between $16.08 and $67.
SunPower Corp (SPWR) is currently trading at $14.87. Its 52 week range is between $3.71 and $15.65.
TiVo Inc (TIVO) is currently trading at $11.85. Its 52 week range is between $7.75 and $13.49.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.84. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $14.93.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- House Votes To Fund Arms To Moderate - For Now - Syrian Rebels (And Ex-Im Bank) - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Cause and Effect? | Financial Sense
- What Might Have Been | ZeroHedge
- Record Beheadings And The Mass Arrest Of Christians – ISIS? Or Saudi Arabia! | ZeroHedge
- Is This China's Scariest Chart? | ZeroHedge
- Got (Record-High-Priced) Milk? | ZeroHedge
- Subprime Is Back With A Vengeance | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- South Korea Arrests American Reportedly Trying To... | Business Insider
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ, MSFT, SNE) | Business Insider
- The Air Force Will Stop Requiring Troops Say 'So Help Me God' To Enlist | Business Insider
- Ukraine's President Just Made A Passionate Plea To... | Business Insider
- A Crazy Plan Could See These Oil-Rich... | Business Insider
- Royal and Ancient golf club set for historic vote... | Business Insider