Covered Call Picks (RENN,LDK,ZNGA,SHLD,LEAP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Renren Inc (RENN) is currently trading at $6.77. Its 52 week range is between $3.21 and $24.
LDK Solar Co Ltd (LDK) is currently trading at $2.97. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $11.73.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $9. Its 52 week range is between $7.97 and $15.91.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $52. Its 52 week range is $28.89 and $87.66.
Leap Wireless International Inc (LEAP) is currently trading at $7.57. Its 52 week range is between $5.5 and $17.66.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Excess German Savings, Not Thrift, Caused the European Crisis | Financial Sense
- Abenomics in Review: Yen, Inflation, Exports, Imports | Financial Sense
- The Eurozone’s Economy Could Surprise to the Upside | Financial Sense
- Daily Market Recap | Financial Sense
- European Bonds Plunge Most In 8 Months, Stocks Worst Week In 2 Months | ZeroHedge
- Barry Bannister: Government Making Same Policy Mistakes of the 1930's | Financial Sense
- Fortune Belongs to the Bold | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Yep — I Am A Trust Fund Baby And I Did Nothing To Earn It | Business Insider
- Delta's JFK Jewel Pressures United at Newark | TheStreet.com
- There's Been A Big Drop In People Who... | Business Insider
- 'The Internship' Movie Is A Two-Hour Commercial For Google [REVIEW] (GOOG) | Business Insider
- The Economy May Be Able To Escape The Dreaded Economic 'Soft Patch... | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- Biotech Stock Mailbag: Amarin, MannKind, Palatin | TheStreet.com