Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "How Is This Not Classified?"- Obama Used A Pseudonym In Emails With Hillary, FBI Data Dump Reveals | ZeroHedge
- Trump: Titan of Corporate Tax Cuts | ZeroHedge
- Caught On Tape: Did The US Target Syrian Aid Convoy With Hellfire Missile? | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Sachs' 10 Most Important Questions On The Election | ZeroHedge
- Russia-US Cyber Tensions Show the True Threat of Cyberwar | Financial Sense
- "Hillary 2016" Caption Contest | ZeroHedge
- The Problem With Helicopter Money | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's the real reason your friend's 'gluten-free... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- PHOTOS: The last time you'll ever see 7 F-22s at Edwards Air Force Base | Business Insider
- Dunkin' Donuts is still serving coffee in Styrofoam cups 6 years after... | Business Insider
- The fast-food industry is suddenly embracing an unlikely new ingredient | Business Insider
- There's something really bizarre about how Clinton's preparing to... | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek