Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A Strong Dollar May Not Be as Bad as Feared | Financial Sense
- An Austrian Province Just Requested A State Bailout | ZeroHedge
- Second Quarter Outlook | Financial Sense
- Entire Treasury Department Competes For Same Goldman Sachs Job Opening | ZeroHedge
- Weekday Wrap-Up: Mixed Warning Signals, Grid Defection, and the Repricing of US Debt | Financial Sense
- 8 Charts That Prove The US Is Already In A Recession | ZeroHedge
- 5 Things To Ponder: Market Soup | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ex-Yemen leader urges rebel allies to heed UN, pull back | Business Insider
- Young girls in Afghanistan are skateboarding to fight for gender... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- How my traumatic brain injury changed my life forever — in some ways for the... | Business Insider
- Here's the first photo of Jared Leto as the Joker | Business Insider
- There's a wild Easter egg hidden in Google Maps that insults Apple in... | Business Insider
- These teens became Coachella VIPs after their Instagram accounts caught... | Business Insider