Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chinese Stocks Extend Friday's Losses Following Drop In Corporate Profits | ZeroHedge
- 3-Year-Old London Child Deemed "Extremist"; Placed In Government Reeducation Program | ZeroHedge
- Thoughts About Chinese Stocks, Reserves, and SDR Inclusion | Financial Sense
- "Rammed" - Fiat Chrysler Forced To Buy Back 500,000 Pickup Trucks From Customers In Historic Settlement | ZeroHedge
- Today's Anti-Capitalists Ignore The Fundamental Problems Of Socialism | ZeroHedge
- Energy M&A Hits A Brick Wall: Ex Shell-BG Megadeal, Q2 Deal Value Was Lowest Since 2008 | ZeroHedge
- Compromised Hedge Funder Joins BOE In Revolving Door Roundtrip | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here comes the health care spending boom | Business Insider
- TWITTER GETS KILLED (... | Business Insider
- Hong Kong giant panda Jia Jia becomes oldest ever | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Disney is toying with selling ESPN as a standalone service... | Business Insider
- These are the 19 worst data breaches in history... | Business Insider
- Stocks are higher (SPY, DJI, IXIC, USO, WTI, OIL, VDE, BNO, BP, UPS, F, PFI) | Business Insider