Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Guest Post: Burning Down The House: Land, Water & Food | ZeroHedge
- Margin and Those Record Highs | ZeroHedge
- QE For The People - What Could Go Wrong? | ZeroHedge
- Broke? You May Now Be Entitled To a Free Home | ZeroHedge
- The Monetary Approach Reigns Supreme | Financial Sense
- Despite Short-Squeeze-Driven Buying-Frenzy, Window-Dressed Stocks Remain Red For March | ZeroHedge
- Felix Zulauf: Asset Prices Will Continue to Inflate as China Joins the Party Next | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Jeb Bush has had a few run-ins with Scientology | Business Insider
- NFL teams think this draft is a crapshoot — and it's going to make draft night... | Business Insider
- 10 things you need to know before European markets open | Business Insider
- Ex-HP CEO Carly Fiorina is planning to run for... | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today | Business Insider
- What it's like inside the 'Alcatraz of the Rockies,' America'... | Business Insider
- This chart shows how short Tesla's challengers... | Business Insider