Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Executive Sweet? | Financial Sense
- Gold And The Fiat End-Game | ZeroHedge
- The Rout In Spain | ZeroHedge
- Today’s Dow Now in Third Place | Financial Sense
- Barry Bannister: Government Making Same Policy Mistakes of the 1930's | Financial Sense
- BNP Warns On Japanese Repression: Echoes Of The 1940s Fed | ZeroHedge
- Learn Stock Charts with this 156 Page Interactive Guide | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Stocks Fall on Signals of QE Tapering; Home Prices Rise | TheStreet.com
- Rail Traffic Confirms That The Economy Remains Sluggish | Business Insider
- 17 Of The Highest-Calorie, Food Coma-Inducing Chain Restaurant Items | Business Insider
- DURABLE GOODS ORDERS CRUSH EXPECTATIONS | Business Insider
- The Best Restaurant In Los Angeles Is Providence | Business Insider
- Why We 'Grasp' The Truth, 'Dodge' Questions, And 'Fall'... | Business Insider
- Sweet Minimalist Movie Posters Of Your All-Time Favorite Flicks | Business Insider