Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- One Part Of The Economy Is Booming: The Underground/Cash-Only Sector | ZeroHedge
- Edward Snowden's New Revelations Are Truly Chilling | ZeroHedge
- The High-End Consumer Is Rolling Over: Will Apple Save The Economy From A Recession This Time? | ZeroHedge
- "It's Not A Risk-On Rally, This Is The Biggest Short Squeeze In Years" Says Bank Of America | ZeroHedge
- John Boehner To Stay On As Speaker After All, Fox Reports | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Demolishes Jobless Claims Hype: "This Does Not Signal A Booming Labor Market" | ZeroHedge
- "Neutralizing" John Lennon: One Man Against The "Monster" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- GOP in tumult after McCarthy's withdrawal from... | Business Insider
- Here's why you shouldn't pay attention to hotel stars | Business Insider
- US actor Randy Quaid ordered released; facing deportation... | Business Insider
- Pentagon head: US to change Syrian rebel training program... | Business Insider
- Sanders' debate mantra: Let Bernie be Bernie | Business Insider
- 'Dateline NBC' gathers Bill Cosby accusers for... | Business Insider
- 'Walking Dead' creator explains his original... | Business Insider