Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Portugal Plunges To 9-Month Lows, Europe's VIX At 3-Month Highs | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap July 28, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- The Allocation is Nearly Complete | iBankCoin.com
- China’s Market Finally Looks Like a Buy | Financial Sense
- Ukraine Army Takes Bloomberg Reporter Hostage: Fascinating Report Ensues | ZeroHedge
- Here Are The Most Shorted S&P And Russell Stocks (Yes, Trulia Is One Of Them) | ZeroHedge
- LISTEN TO ME | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Soccer Deals Shows Why Advertising On NBA Uniforms Is Inevitable | Business Insider
- 5 Tips For Getting A Wall Street Internship If You Didn't Go To A Top School | Business Insider
- Two Former McDonald's Executives Are Leading A Fast-Food Revolution | Business Insider
- 6 Ways To Take Care Of Your 'Mental Hygiene' | Business Insider
- Watch The Eerie New Teaser Trailer For 'The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five... | Business Insider
- Facebook Is Going To Stop Bothering You To Send Gift Cards To Your Friends On Their Birthday | Business Insider
- US Says Russia Tested A Cruise Missile In Violation Of Cold War Treaty... | Business Insider