Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Trojan Horse Battle for the Euro | Financial Sense
- Hillary Clinton's "Personal" Emails To Be Subpoenaed | ZeroHedge
- Financial Collapse Leads To War | ZeroHedge
- Only 17% Of Americans See The US As The World's Economic Superpower | ZeroHedge
- Don’t Sweat Nasdaq 5000 | Financial Sense
- THREE MILLION JOBS | iBankCoin.com
- Are Weak Earnings Signaling Recession Ahead? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Chris Christie’s approval in New Jersey has hit a new low | Business Insider
- US Congress passes security funding, averting crisis | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Hillary Clinton's team insists she didn't have... | Business Insider
- This guy has made a business of secretly... | Business Insider
- ExxonMobil slashes capital spending plans by $4 billion (XOM, USO, OIL) | Business Insider