Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Frontrunning: January 26 | ZeroHedge
- The Slick Lies Of Obama's "Robin Hood" Economy (In 2 Awkward Cartoons) | ZeroHedge
- Today Athens, Tomorrow Madrid | ZeroHedge
- Energy Stocks: Where’s the Bottom? | Financial Sense
- Axel Merk: Why Asset Prices Must Return To Lower Levels | ZeroHedge
- Syriza Forms Coalition Government With Anti-Bailout Independent Greeks: What Happens Next | ZeroHedge
- The End of the Bull Market? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Euro briefly sinks to 11-year low vs dollar after Greek... | Business Insider
- An Economist Explains In Simple Terms Why Deflation Is Dangerous | Business Insider
- Tom Brady Is Not Interested Right Now In How The Balls Got Deflated... | Business Insider
- New Yorkers Are Flocking To Craigslist To Find 'Blizzard... | Business Insider
- Japan condemns 'outrageous' hostage murder | Business Insider
- FA Cup holders Arsenal emboldened by Man City win | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek