Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is This Debt's Last Rattle? | ZeroHedge
- US Oil Rig Count Plunges By Most In 10 Months | ZeroHedge
- European Sovereign Risk Soars As Systemic Fears Mount | ZeroHedge
- Gold to Beat Stocks? | Financial Sense
- America's National Debt Bomb Caused By The Welfare State | ZeroHedge
- Bloomberg Vs. Trump? | ZeroHedge
- Krinsky on Stock Market: Primary Trend Has Shifted to the Downside | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- There's an intriguing psychological reason it's so hard to stick to a diet | Business Insider
- Here are the best tech deals heading into Presidents' Day weekend | Business Insider
- Financial power must be Obama’s weapon of choice to save... | Business Insider
- America's obesity rate just surged to a new high | Business Insider
- Here's how the US housing market has been impacted by the 2008 crash | Business Insider
- 7 ways to give a great customer-service experience on social media | Business Insider
- This is the outfit every guy should try for Valentine's Day | Business Insider