Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bank of America Clients Sell Stocks For The First Time Since The US Election | ZeroHedge
- Technical Analysis Is Garbage (Video) | ZeroHedge
- What Is Good for the Dollar Is Bad for Gold | Financial Sense
- Florida Teacher "Reassigned" After Facebook Post Praising Trump On Immigration | ZeroHedge
- "Privacy Experts" Blast John Kelly Proposal For Immigrants To Turn Over Social Media Passwords | ZeroHedge
- How Corporate Media Continues To Use The 'Russia Scapegoat' To Distract from Status Quo Failure | ZeroHedge
- Pettis: Capital Flooding Into US as Global Trade Environment Deteriorates | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Scientists are using Rorschach inkblots to help... | Business Insider
- 'A perfect storm': Trump's plans... | Business Insider
- Jay Z is launching his own venture-capital firm | Business Insider
- This is the single most important gadget to bring with you when you’re... | Business Insider
- Venezuela's vice president took out a full-... | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- These new leaked photos appear to reveal more details about... | Business Insider