Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Mortal Kombat Finish Him Stocks | iBankCoin.com
- Jim Bianco on Gold, Oil, and Why the Market Doesn't Care About Geopolitical Events | Financial Sense
- Pep Talk from Jack Ma Before Buying $BABA at the Open | iBankCoin.com
- The Days of BABA Are Upon Us | Financial Sense
- 47% of Chinese Billionaires Want to Leave China Within 5 Years | Financial Sense
- Better Days Ahead | Financial Sense
- Goldman Warns Tesla Will Need To Raise At Least Another $6 Billion | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What 21 Extremely Successful People Were Doing At Age 25 | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- Top 10 News for 9/... | StreetInsider.com
- Yelp's 2014 a Sorry Follow Up to '13, But Analysts Optimistic | TheStreet.com
- Google May Ban Android Developers Who Do Not... | Business Insider
- Brandao handed six-month ban for headbutting | Business Insider
- YouTube Is Paying Millions To Keep Its Biggest Stars On... | Business Insider