Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Chinese Credit Concerns Clobber Copper; Collapse Continues To Lowest Since July 2010 | ZeroHedge
- Gold Hedges Against Surge In Cost Of Bread, Eggs, Beer and Fuel | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: March 11 | ZeroHedge
- China’s Credit Markets Under Pressure | Financial Sense
- Twitter is Down; Be Thankful for iBankCoin | iBankCoin.com
- Do Equities (and Real Estate) Give You Inflation Protection? | Financial Sense
- A Rusty Rail | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Allegedly Corrupt Politician Seems To Be Planning A Golf Fundraiser — Without The Golf | Business Insider
- '300' Sequel Takes Down DreamWorks Animation's 'Peabody... | Business Insider
- Twitter Can't Stop Talking About The 'True Detective' Finale | Business Insider
- The 23-Year-Old Who's On Fire On The PGA Tour Wants To Be The Next Tiger Woods | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot... | StreetInsider.com
- Why Millennials Need Constant Feedback At Work | Business Insider
- String Theory Genius Explains The Coming Breakthroughs That Will Change... | Business Insider