Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Good News Is Bad News" Again - Confidence Surge Sparks Stock, Oil Purge | ZeroHedge
- Hillary Has Until September 29 To Respond - Under Oath - To These 25 Questions | ZeroHedge
- Brazil's Banana Scoundrels Will Now Win Their Olympics | ZeroHedge
- What The Media Did Not Report: Here Is The "Ignored" Part Of Kaepernick's Speech | ZeroHedge
- What I Learned From The FBI’s Best Hostage Negotiator | Altucher Confidential
- How to Leave the European Union | Financial Sense
- The Illusion of Power | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 5 accessories that will help you get the most out of your Kindle | Business Insider
- Nearly 10,000 workers are accusing Chipotle of wage theft | Business Insider
- STOCKS RALLY: Here's what you need to know | Business Insider
- The perks and perils of working from home, according to people who actually do... | Business Insider
- These are the personality tests you take to get a job at the world's... | Business Insider
- GOP STRATEGIST: Why you should... | Business Insider
- Lyft’s $9 billion price tag was too high for GM | Business Insider