Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The VIX FOMC Setup (Video) | ZeroHedge
- "Panicked" Citi Trader "Who Fired Off Repeated Sell Orders" Behind Pound Flash Crash | ZeroHedge
- Our "Gaslight" Financial System | ZeroHedge
- Oil’s Most Popular Trading Products May Soon Be Shut Down | ZeroHedge
- Meet the 2017 FOMC | Financial Sense
- France: Decomposing In Front Of Our Eyes | ZeroHedge
- The "Pizzagate" Arrest: Police Release Criminal Complaint Against Comet Restaurant Shooter | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Reserve Bank of Australia warns on near-term... | Business Insider
- BILL GROSS: The world's growing debt problem is just like the US... | Business Insider
- YouTube has paid over $1 billion to the music... | Business Insider
- I have 13 kids and no debt — here's how I afford it | Business Insider
- Whole Foods predicts the 8 biggest food trends of 2017 (WFM) | Business Insider
- 12 innovative car keys taking driving to a whole new level | Business Insider
- THE FUTURE OF DIGITAL: 2016 | Business Insider