Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Insolvent Chinese Construction Company Gets Last Minute Bailout, Avoids China's Second Bond Default | ZeroHedge
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
- Portugal President Admits Espirito Santo Failure Could Be Systemic As Another HoldCo Goes Bankrupt | ZeroHedge
- Why a Single Bail-In For a Country Few Can Find On a Globe Matters to EVERYONE | ZeroHedge
- Chart Of The Day: For Caterpillar The "Great Recovery" Is Just As Bad As The Great Financial Crisis | ZeroHedge
- Phantom Liquidity and Perfect Pilfering | Financial Sense
- Congressional Hearing On Hedge Fund Tax Evasion Through "Fictional Derivatives" - Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How MMA Fighter Ronda Rousey Gets Down To Her Fighting Weight | Business Insider
- Pro-Russia Militant: We Shot Down The Malaysia Airliner | Business Insider
- 10 Huge Reveals To Expect From San Diego Comic-Con | Business Insider
- Bill Ackman Just Finished 'The Most Important Presentation' Of His Career... | Business Insider
- Samsung Is In Trouble... (AAPL, GOOG) | Business Insider
- These Are The Simple Fixes That Could Help Online Retailers... | Business Insider
- LinkedIn May Not Be The Coolest Social Network, But It's Only Becoming More... | Business Insider