Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Market Risks Increasing As Investors Grow Complacent | Financial Sense
- Chicago Airport Security Chief Fired After United Airlines Debacle | ZeroHedge
- Will Trump Release The Missing JFK Files? | ZeroHedge
- Companies Bracing for Disappointment, Zatlin Says | Financial Sense
- Sec Tillerson Makes Case to UN for Action Against N. Korea : "The United States Cannot Stand Idly By" | ZeroHedge
- Retired Green Beret Warns: "We're At The Threshold Of War...The Choice Is Not Up To Us Anymore" | ZeroHedge
- Space Mining: The Final Frontier For Oil Countries | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Deutsche Bank is expected to name James von Moltke as its new... | Business Insider
- Trump says he'll revisit the 'horrible' US-South Korea trade deal —... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- The eSports competitive video gaming market continues to grow revenues &... | Business Insider
- Geopolitical risk's affect on oil is overrated | Business Insider
- Alex Acosta has been confirmed as labor secretary — finally filling... | Business Insider
- A US service member was killed in blast near Mosul, Iraq | Business Insider