Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 2014: Gold Up 70% or U.S. Equities Down 40%? | Financial Sense
- Foggy Action | iBankCoin.com
- New York City Has The Most Homeless Children Since The Great Depression | ZeroHedge
- 4 Setups For Wednesday | iBankCoin.com
- The 5×5 Trick To Make Life Better | Altucher Confidential
- The US Government Will Soon Be The Biggest Credit Company Anywhere | iBankCoin.com
- When Bitcoin Is Not In The Hands Of The Bagholder | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- The Airline Industry Is Expecting Its Best Profits Ever In 2014 | Business Insider
- Why The GOP Civil War Just Exploded Out Into The Open — Again | Business Insider
- Two Paragraphs That Explain The Real Reason Countries Host The Olympics And The... | Business Insider
- REPORT: Nigeria Is Missing $50 Billion In Oil Money | Business Insider
- There's No Way Apple Can Be This Desperate | TheStreet.com
- The Dewar's Whisky Campaign Just Went From Bad To Worse | Business Insider