Covered Call Picks (FSLR,SQNM,NFLX,GRPN,AMLN)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22||23||1.9||8.50%||May-12|
|AMLN||Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc||24.3||25||1.6||6.50%||May-12|
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22. Its 52 week range is between $20.02 and $147.2.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $3.93. Its 52 week range is between $3.52 and $8.71.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $104.26. Its 52 week range is between $62.37 and $304.79.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $13.56. Its 52 week range is $12.95 and $31.14.
Amylin Pharmaceuticals Inc (AMLN) is currently trading at $24.28. Its 52 week range is between $8.03 and $25.84.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Poor (as a church mouse) Hillary | ZeroHedge
- US Equities Tumble After Greek Talks Cancelled | ZeroHedge
- Bill Gross: "My 'Short Of A Lifetime' Bund Trade Was Well Timed But Not Necessarily Well Executed" | ZeroHedge
- Trannies Tumble As Death Cross Triggers | ZeroHedge
- "My Love Is Real" Kenyan Lawyer Offers Cows, Sheep, & Goats For Obama's Daughter | ZeroHedge
- Who Would Win A Conflict In The South China Sea: The Infographic | ZeroHedge
- Mary Meeker Warns "Pockets Of Over-Valuation... Growth Rates Are Slowing" In Her Latest 'State Of The Internet' Presentation | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These are the secret rules for getting your app to the top of Apple’s App Store (AAPL... | Business Insider
- Reserve now to save $1500 on your extra-early-bird ticket to IGNITION | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Some women would go to hell and back to pay $10,000 or more for a pocketbook | Business Insider
- Dozens may have come in contact with anthrax: US military... | Business Insider
- The New York Times published a shocking proposal to solve America... | Business Insider
- Michael Kors is getting crushed after earnings whiff (KORS) | Business Insider