Covered Call Picks (EXAS,SRPT,THRX,IOC,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|EXAS||Exact Sciences Corp||9.85||10||1.3||13.20%||April 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||35.9||36||3.6||10.00%||April 2013|
|THRX||Theravance Inc||22.7||23||1.9||8.10%||April 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||73.1||75||3.3||4.40%||April 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||4.6||5||0.2||4.30%||April 2013|
Exact Sciences Corp (EXAS) is currently trading at $9.85. Its 52 week range is between $8.87 and $12.3.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $35.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Theravance Inc (THRX) is currently trading at $22.72. Its 52 week range is between $17.06 and $31.87.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $73.14. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.6. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $7.6.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stocks: October 2007 vs. March 2014 | Financial Sense
- Did Today's Flow of Funds Report Predict the Fed's Next Confession? | ZeroHedge
- 2 Charts Explain Slowest Economic Growth In History | ZeroHedge
- The Russian Perspective: "There Will Be War In Ukraine" | ZeroHedge
- Will There be a Parabolic Rise in Gold Equities..? | ZeroHedge
- Renminbi Depreciation Poses Risk to Chinese Economy | Financial Sense
- 'Bail-in' Risks See Europe Banks Get Downgrade Warning | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Startup Employees Think They Are Going To Get Rich — Then A Horror Story Like This... | Business Insider
- Home Goods Online Retailer Wayfair Tripled Its Revenue In... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- It Turns Out People Don't Really Surf The Web On Their Smartphones | Business Insider
- New Users In India And China Will Dominate... | Business Insider
- GOLDMAN SACHS ELEVATOR HAS LOST HIS BOOK DEAL | Business Insider