Covered Call Picks (EXAS,SRPT,THRX,IOC,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|EXAS||Exact Sciences Corp||9.85||10||1.3||13.20%||April 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||35.9||36||3.6||10.00%||April 2013|
|THRX||Theravance Inc||22.7||23||1.9||8.10%||April 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||73.1||75||3.3||4.40%||April 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||4.6||5||0.2||4.30%||April 2013|
Exact Sciences Corp (EXAS) is currently trading at $9.85. Its 52 week range is between $8.87 and $12.3.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $35.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Theravance Inc (THRX) is currently trading at $22.72. Its 52 week range is between $17.06 and $31.87.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $73.14. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.6. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $7.6.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Policy Error" Is Back: Deutsche Warns Two Things Can Derail The Market's "Most Crowded Trades" | ZeroHedge
- Howard Marks Redux: "There They Go Again" - Why Stock Investors Develop Amnesia | ZeroHedge
- Netherlands: Moderate Parties Hold Onto Power | Financial Sense
- "ObamaCare Will Explode" Trump Tweets As WSJ Lashes Out At "ObamaCare Republicans" | ZeroHedge
- Market Looking Toppy; Exercise Patience | Financial Sense
- Watch These Geopolitical Flashpoints Carefully | ZeroHedge
- Surge in Global Economic Surprises, Business Confidence Continues | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- An analysis of... | Business Insider
- The US government's laptop ban is now in effect — here's... | Business Insider
- 9 successful businesspeople... | Business Insider
- $1.4 BILLION HEDGE FUND: 'We are now in the early part of a... | Business Insider
- A GOP congressman just resigned from the hardline Freedom Caucus over failed Obamacare... | Business Insider
- Trump will look to recover from his worst week yet as president | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek