Covered Call Picks (EXAS,SRPT,THRX,IOC,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|EXAS||Exact Sciences Corp||9.85||10||1.3||13.20%||April 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||35.9||36||3.6||10.00%||April 2013|
|THRX||Theravance Inc||22.7||23||1.9||8.10%||April 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||73.1||75||3.3||4.40%||April 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||4.6||5||0.2||4.30%||April 2013|
Exact Sciences Corp (EXAS) is currently trading at $9.85. Its 52 week range is between $8.87 and $12.3.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $35.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Theravance Inc (THRX) is currently trading at $22.72. Its 52 week range is between $17.06 and $31.87.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $73.14. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.6. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $7.6.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Weekend Reading: The Coin Flip Market | ZeroHedge
- The Schizophrenic Fed | Financial Sense
- What the New SEC Money Market Fund Regulations Mean for the Financial System | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: August 26 | ZeroHedge
- One World Currency introduced by The Cartel - Settlement Coin | ZeroHedge
- New Lidar Chips for Self-Driving Vehicles Are Smaller Than a Dime, Cost $10 to Manufacture | Financial Sense
- Inventory Growth Slowdown Dashes Hopes For Q3 GDP Bounce Back | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- THE DRONES REPORT: Market forecasts, regulatory barriers, top vendors, and... | Business Insider
- This US paratrooper escaped a Nazi prison and joined the Red Army to... | Business Insider
- The world in photos this week | Business Insider
- Apollo's Rackspace deal is crushing short-sellers | Business Insider
- 12 high-paying jobs for people who love to talk | Business Insider
- A failed corporate acquisition has little to do with contracts or money | Business Insider
- Meet the obscure blogger who reversed the recession | Business Insider