Covered Call Picks (EXAS,SRPT,THRX,IOC,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|EXAS||Exact Sciences Corp||9.85||10||1.3||13.20%||April 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||35.9||36||3.6||10.00%||April 2013|
|THRX||Theravance Inc||22.7||23||1.9||8.10%||April 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||73.1||75||3.3||4.40%||April 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||4.6||5||0.2||4.30%||April 2013|
Exact Sciences Corp (EXAS) is currently trading at $9.85. Its 52 week range is between $8.87 and $12.3.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $35.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Theravance Inc (THRX) is currently trading at $22.72. Its 52 week range is between $17.06 and $31.87.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $73.14. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.6. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $7.6.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Britain Is In The Wrong Place," Daniel Hannan Blasts "The World Economy Has Left Europe Behind" | ZeroHedge
- Russian Crew Boards 1st Mistral Carrier As France Quietly Completes Construction Of 2nd Ship | ZeroHedge
- Forex Scandal Exposes Difficulty of Financial Regulation | Financial Sense
- ISIS' First Administration Casualty: Chuck Hagel Resigns Under Pressure From Obama | ZeroHedge
- Presenting North America's Most Frustrating Airports | ZeroHedge
- American CEOs Sum Up The Economic Outlook: "Softness, Stagnant, Cautious, Challenging" | ZeroHedge
- The Clear Definitive Sign That We Are In a Stock Market Bubble | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- BlackBerry Will Pay iPhone Owners Up To $550 To Switch (AAPL,... | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- REPORT: Facebook Failed To Warn Police... | Business Insider
- Stock Turn Higher but Stumbling Energy Sector Weighs Down Gains | TheStreet.com
- The NBA World Has Never Seen Anything Like Anthony Davis | Business Insider
- Here Is Cop Darren Wilson's Official Account Of The Michael Brown Shooting | Business Insider
- A Stealth E-Commerce Startup Is Offering People Who Aren't... | Business Insider