Covered Call Picks (EXAS,SRPT,THRX,IOC,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|EXAS||Exact Sciences Corp||9.85||10||1.3||13.20%||April 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||35.9||36||3.6||10.00%||April 2013|
|THRX||Theravance Inc||22.7||23||1.9||8.10%||April 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||73.1||75||3.3||4.40%||April 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||4.6||5||0.2||4.30%||April 2013|
Exact Sciences Corp (EXAS) is currently trading at $9.85. Its 52 week range is between $8.87 and $12.3.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $35.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Theravance Inc (THRX) is currently trading at $22.72. Its 52 week range is between $17.06 and $31.87.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $73.14. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.6. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $7.6.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Weapons of Economic Misdirection | Financial Sense
- Market Recap Sep 1, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- China and Global Market Turbulence | Financial Sense
- Sheep Led To The Slaughter: The Muzzling Of Free Speech In America | ZeroHedge
- And The Options Market Breaks (Again) | ZeroHedge
- Signs Of Life | iBankCoin.com
- Italy Is "Willing To Temporarily Suspend Schengen" In Response To Refugee Crisis | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Amazon is spending $500 million to make internet videos a little better (AMZN) | Business Insider
- Rutgers' Kyle Flood will coach opener despite... | Business Insider
- Biden to appear on Colbert's 'Late Show' | Business Insider
- The Pentagon is monitoring Chinese navy ships off the coast of Alaska... | Business Insider
- Apple wants to guide your news consumption with News app | Business Insider
- Chris Brown is being sued by a fan who claims to have been shot at one of his... | Business Insider
- Migrants storm re-opened Budapest train station | Business Insider