Covered Call Picks (EXAS,SRPT,THRX,IOC,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|EXAS||Exact Sciences Corp||9.85||10||1.3||13.20%||April 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||35.9||36||3.6||10.00%||April 2013|
|THRX||Theravance Inc||22.7||23||1.9||8.10%||April 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||73.1||75||3.3||4.40%||April 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||4.6||5||0.2||4.30%||April 2013|
Exact Sciences Corp (EXAS) is currently trading at $9.85. Its 52 week range is between $8.87 and $12.3.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $35.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Theravance Inc (THRX) is currently trading at $22.72. Its 52 week range is between $17.06 and $31.87.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $73.14. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.6. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $7.6.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Biggest Drop In Personal Income Since Feb 2010 Can't Stop Borrowers Spending, While Savings Rate Plunges | ZeroHedge
- Ride the Profitable Wave | Financial Sense
- Riding the Market’s Circus | iBankCoin.com
- Euthanasia of the Economy | Financial Sense
- Gold Edging Closer to Long-Term Bearish; Beware of Blind Spots! | Financial Sense
- Waking Up to Two Views | iBankCoin.com
- 6 Things To Ponder: Bulls, Bears, Valuations & Stupidity | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The World's Largest Bitcoin Exchange Looks Like It's Malfunctioning | Business Insider
- Markets Are Higher Ahead Of Major Jobs Report | Business Insider
- NFL QUARTERBACK POWER RANKINGS: Where All 32 Starters Stand Right Now | Business Insider
- American Eagle Hopes to Soar | TheStreet.com
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- What's Causing ReneSola (SOL) to Tumble? | TheStreet.com
- Top NFL Prospect Teddy Bridgewater Makes Two... | Business Insider