Covered Call Picks (EXAS,SRPT,THRX,IOC,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|EXAS||Exact Sciences Corp||9.85||10||1.3||13.20%||April 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||35.9||36||3.6||10.00%||April 2013|
|THRX||Theravance Inc||22.7||23||1.9||8.10%||April 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||73.1||75||3.3||4.40%||April 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||4.6||5||0.2||4.30%||April 2013|
Exact Sciences Corp (EXAS) is currently trading at $9.85. Its 52 week range is between $8.87 and $12.3.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $35.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Theravance Inc (THRX) is currently trading at $22.72. Its 52 week range is between $17.06 and $31.87.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $73.14. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.6. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $7.6.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Secular Trends in New Residential Building Permits and Housing Starts | Financial Sense
- Ron Paul Rages: Janet Yellen is Right, She Can’t Predict The Future | ZeroHedge
- What's Wrong With This Picture | ZeroHedge
- VIX-nado, Dollar-splosion, & Crude Carnage Spark Dump In Stocks & Bond Yields | ZeroHedge
- What Exactly Is Going On At Lake Mead? | ZeroHedge
- John Nash RIP: “Beautiful Mind” Game Theory May Lead to Gold Standard | ZeroHedge
- Surplus Repression And The Self-Defeating Deep State | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Iraq forces tighten noose around Ramadi | Business Insider
- The son of China's richest man bought 2 ultra-... | Business Insider
- What's on tap for Google's big... | Business Insider
- Kids game Moshi Monsters could be coming to the Apple... | Business Insider
- FIFA: The World Cups in Russia and Qatar will still go ahead... | Business Insider
- Britain poised for 'Brexit... | Business Insider
- Prince slams waste of 'self-serving' FIFA leader | Business Insider