Covered Call Picks (EXAS,SRPT,THRX,IOC,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|EXAS||Exact Sciences Corp||9.85||10||1.3||13.20%||April 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||35.9||36||3.6||10.00%||April 2013|
|THRX||Theravance Inc||22.7||23||1.9||8.10%||April 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||73.1||75||3.3||4.40%||April 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||4.6||5||0.2||4.30%||April 2013|
Exact Sciences Corp (EXAS) is currently trading at $9.85. Its 52 week range is between $8.87 and $12.3.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $35.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Theravance Inc (THRX) is currently trading at $22.72. Its 52 week range is between $17.06 and $31.87.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $73.14. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.6. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $7.6.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Frontrunning: March 26 | ZeroHedge
- INDEUD | iBankCoin.com
- China's Demographic Destiny Disaster (In 2 Simple Charts) | ZeroHedge
- China's Stock Bubble Leaves BNP Speechless: "What Happens Next Is An Unknown-Unknown" | ZeroHedge
- What Will End the 34-Year US Treasury Bond Bull Market? | ZeroHedge
- The 10 Things Germany Needs To Do To Save The Eurozone (And Itself) | ZeroHedge
- Oil Surges, Gold and Silver Spike as Saudi Arabia Bombs Yemen | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here’s a timeline of exactly what happened inside the Germanwings plane before it... | Business Insider
- Google's magic Internet balloons made a joke cameo at today's Facebook event | Business Insider
- Apple just invented an incredible technology that... | Business Insider
- The shattered Co-op Bank slashed its losses by more than half last year | Business Insider
- Cameron, Miliband open UK election campaign with TV... | Business Insider
- Taylor Swift is 6th on Fortune's 'Greatest World Leaders... | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek