Covered Call Picks (EXAS,SRPT,THRX,IOC,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|EXAS||Exact Sciences Corp||9.85||10||1.3||13.20%||April 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||35.9||36||3.6||10.00%||April 2013|
|THRX||Theravance Inc||22.7||23||1.9||8.10%||April 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||73.1||75||3.3||4.40%||April 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||4.6||5||0.2||4.30%||April 2013|
Exact Sciences Corp (EXAS) is currently trading at $9.85. Its 52 week range is between $8.87 and $12.3.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $35.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Theravance Inc (THRX) is currently trading at $22.72. Its 52 week range is between $17.06 and $31.87.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $73.14. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.6. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $7.6.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 10 Stats About The Last 10 Years | ZeroHedge
- Conspicious Consolidated Currency Calculation | ZeroHedge
- Trump Leads Clinton In Latest Poll As Cruz Suffers 'Death Cross' | ZeroHedge
- Why So Worried? | ZeroHedge
- Is The USA Really Just Another Greece? | ZeroHedge
- Ten Things I Learned From Tony Hawk | Altucher Confidential
- Leaked Docs Reveal TTIP Trade Deal In Jeopardy As "Irreconcilable Differences" Emerge | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The best bars in America | Business Insider
- I was totally disappointed by the final scene in last night's episode of... | Business Insider
- Abortion clinics are shutting down in blue states — but not for the... | Business Insider
- There's a big reason the Bran story line matters in season 6 of 'Game of... | Business Insider
- The biggest names in finance all want the government to do one thing, but it... | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- A California-style restaurant in NYC serves an impressive queso dip | Business Insider