Covered Call Picks (EXAS,SRPT,THRX,IOC,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|EXAS||Exact Sciences Corp||9.85||10||1.3||13.20%||April 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||35.9||36||3.6||10.00%||April 2013|
|THRX||Theravance Inc||22.7||23||1.9||8.10%||April 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||73.1||75||3.3||4.40%||April 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||4.6||5||0.2||4.30%||April 2013|
Exact Sciences Corp (EXAS) is currently trading at $9.85. Its 52 week range is between $8.87 and $12.3.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $35.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Theravance Inc (THRX) is currently trading at $22.72. Its 52 week range is between $17.06 and $31.87.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $73.14. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.6. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $7.6.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gunmen Attack Saudi Prince In Paris, Steal "Sensitive Documents" | ZeroHedge
- Bonds Persist in Their Warning About the U.S. Economy | Financial Sense
- Buy The Drip: Thousands Of Gallons Of Oil Spill Into Ohio River Upstream Of Cincinnati | ZeroHedge
- Three Potential Liquidity Supports to Keep Bull Market Alive | Financial Sense
- Ukraine, Lebanon Demand US "Weapons, Aviation, Air-Defense Equipment" | ZeroHedge
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
- Q2 Earnings Success - Will It Stick Around? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- GOLDMAN: Stocks Don't Always Follow Historical Patterns, But We Think... | Business Insider
- The Incredible Story Of How Chris Pratt Got His Big Break While Living... | Business Insider
- Jackson Hole Predicts Jack Squat In The Bond Market | Business Insider
- Israel Faced A Huge Wave Of Cyber Attacks During Its War With Hamas — And Iran... | Business Insider
- 10 Of The Most Ridiculous TED Talks | Business Insider
- Here's How Foreign Language Speakers Typically Screw Up English | Business Insider
- A Google Street View Car May Have Run Over A Dog In Chile (GOOG) | Business Insider