Covered Call Picks (EXAS,SRPT,THRX,IOC,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|EXAS||Exact Sciences Corp||9.85||10||1.3||13.20%||April 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||35.9||36||3.6||10.00%||April 2013|
|THRX||Theravance Inc||22.7||23||1.9||8.10%||April 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||73.1||75||3.3||4.40%||April 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||4.6||5||0.2||4.30%||April 2013|
Exact Sciences Corp (EXAS) is currently trading at $9.85. Its 52 week range is between $8.87 and $12.3.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $35.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Theravance Inc (THRX) is currently trading at $22.72. Its 52 week range is between $17.06 and $31.87.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $73.14. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.6. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $7.6.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Weekly Sentiment Report: Horrific? Hardly! | ZeroHedge
- The Number 1 Reason Why I Am Not Selling Here | iBankCoin.com
- Basic Bond Market Education | iBankCoin.com
- Ukraine Launches Military Operation Against Separatists, Russian PM Says Country "Anticipating Civil War" | ZeroHedge
- Nasdaq Re-Loses 4,000 | ZeroHedge
- Guardian, WaPo Win Pulitzer For Proving Millions Of Conspiracy Theorists Right | ZeroHedge
- Equity Rallies Are Corrective, Downside Risks Remain, BofAML Says | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Remarkable Story Of How Alibaba Defeated eBay In China | Business Insider
- FORECAST: Pay-TV... | Business Insider
- McDonald's Is Counting On This Item To Win The Breakfast Wars | Business Insider
- Harrison Ford Explains How He Went From Full-Time... | Business Insider
- The State Department Put Out Another Listicle Of Putin's 'Top 10... | Business Insider
- Donald Rumsfeld Says He Has 'Absolutely No Idea'... | Business Insider
- NASA Is Testing A Flying Saucer For Landing On Mars | Business Insider