Covered Call Picks (EXAS,SRPT,THRX,IOC,ALXA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|EXAS||Exact Sciences Corp||9.85||10||1.3||13.20%||April 2013|
|SRPT||Sarepta Therapeutics Inc||35.9||36||3.6||10.00%||April 2013|
|THRX||Theravance Inc||22.7||23||1.9||8.10%||April 2013|
|IOC||InterOil Corp||73.1||75||3.3||4.40%||April 2013|
|ALXA||Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc||4.6||5||0.2||4.30%||April 2013|
Exact Sciences Corp (EXAS) is currently trading at $9.85. Its 52 week range is between $8.87 and $12.3.
Sarepta Therapeutics Inc (SRPT) is currently trading at $35.85. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $45.
Theravance Inc (THRX) is currently trading at $22.72. Its 52 week range is between $17.06 and $31.87.
InterOil Corp (IOC) is currently trading at $73.14. Its 52 week range is between $47.33 and $99.05.
Alexza Pharmaceuticals Inc (ALXA) is currently trading at $4.6. Its 52 week range is between $2.55 and $7.6.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China, Europe & Earnings at Home | Financial Sense
- The Stunning Difference Between "Income Expectations" And Reality | ZeroHedge
- Bond Buyers Spooked By Imminent FOMC, Lead To Tailing 5 Year Auction, Lowest Bid To Cover Since July 2009 | ZeroHedge
- Fishing for the IPO’s and Bottom-Dwellers | iBankCoin.com
- Took Some TZA | iBankCoin.com
- 20-Year CBS News Veteran Details Massive Censorship And Propaganda In Mainstream Media | ZeroHedge
- Greenspan: Price of Gold Will Rise | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's Why Nicaragua Is Unbelievably Safe Despite Being Impoverished | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- HOUSE OF THE DAY: Bruce Willis Has Bought A New York Countryside Getaway For $9... | Business Insider
- It Looks Like Jeb Bush May Run For President — Here's What He Believes | Business Insider
- For One Day Only, Uber Will Let You Order A Kitten To Your Office | Business Insider
- 3 Deeply Undervalued Stocks Poised for a Big-Time Rally | TheStreet.com
- There It Goes Again — Russian Ruble Falls To New Record Lows | Business Insider