Covered Call Picks (GMCR,FSLR,LIZ,MU,YELP)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||44.9||45||4.7||10.50%||May-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||22.6||23||2.1||9.50%||May-12|
|LIZ||Liz Claiborne Inc||13||13||1.1||8.10%||May-12|
|MU||Micron Technology Inc||7.99||8||0.6||7.40%||May-12|
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $44.9. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $22.6. Its 52 week range is between $24.5 and $161.4.
Liz Claiborne Inc (LIZ) is currently trading at $12.95. Its 52 week range is between $4.02 and $15.39.
Micron Technology Inc (MU) is currently trading at $7.99. Its 52 week range is $3.97 and $11.83.
Yelp Inc (YELP) is currently trading at $26.7. Its 52 week range is between $19.36 and $31.96.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Inflation Means to You: Inside the Consumer Price Index | Financial Sense
- Guest Post: The Great "American" Divide | ZeroHedge
- Long-Term Breakout | Financial Sense
- Why Japan Is Bad for the World | Financial Sense
- The S&P 500 Is Now a Gambler's Paradise With 76.9% Up Days in May So Far | Financial Sense
- The Debt Ceiling Is Back | ZeroHedge
- Leading Employment Indicators Suggest Higher Highs Into the Fall | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- In One Paragraph, Ben Bernanke Explains Why The Future Is Going... | Business Insider
- DOUG KASS: Here Are My 31 Favorite Books On Investing | Business Insider
- Kanye West Drops The N-Word While Debuting... | Business Insider
- Seth Meyers Knocked Out Anderson Cooper On Saturday Night... | Business Insider
- I've Only Been In Philly For 4 Hours And I... | Business Insider
- Subway Asked People If They're Embarrassed To Carry McDonald's Bags | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek