Covered Call Picks (FRO,GMCR,ITMN,DRYS,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||52.5||52.5||5.1||9.70%||May-12|
Frontline Ltd (FRO) is currently trading at $6.81. Its 52 week range is between $2.52 and $25.09.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $52.45. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
InterMune Inc (ITMN) is currently trading at $14.7. Its 52 week range is between $10.67 and $51.71.
DryShips Inc (DRYS) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is $1.75 and $5.12.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $65.78. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STTG Market Recap November 20, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- In Preparation For Tonight's Ferguson Decision | ZeroHedge
- The Levered Canary In The Coalmine: High Yield Is Flashing A "Sell Signal", Says Barclays | ZeroHedge
- FORTY BASIS POINTS | iBankCoin.com
- The Broken Market Chronicles: For The Third Year In A Row, The "Most Shorted Names" Generate The Highest Return | ZeroHedge
- On Obama and the Nature of Failed Presidencies | Financial Sense
- Wall Street Stunned As Iceland Dares To Jail Banker Involved In 2008 Crash | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Judge approves $450 mn deal in Apple ebook suit | Business Insider
- Here's Where You'll Find America's Wild Turkeys | Business Insider
- Why 'Arrogant Jerks' Become Rich And Successful In Silicon Valley... | Business Insider
- Netflix Still Dominates Web Traffic Even as Amazon Keeps Growing | TheStreet.com
- Meet The Startup Building Drones That Could Save Lives | Business Insider
- The New Head Of Cadillac Says It Isn't An... | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek