Covered Call Picks (FRO,GMCR,ITMN,DRYS,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||52.5||52.5||5.1||9.70%||May-12|
Frontline Ltd (FRO) is currently trading at $6.81. Its 52 week range is between $2.52 and $25.09.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $52.45. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
InterMune Inc (ITMN) is currently trading at $14.7. Its 52 week range is between $10.67 and $51.71.
DryShips Inc (DRYS) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is $1.75 and $5.12.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $65.78. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- For Robots Only: Amazon Sponsored Contest; Soft Fingers Needed | Financial Sense
- What Deflation? The Price Of Ground Beef Has Doubled Since The Last Financial Crisis | ZeroHedge
- Futures Wipe Out Early Gains In Volatile Session As Dollar Resumes Climb; Oil Slides | ZeroHedge
- Will Germany Build the Next Silicon Valley? | Financial Sense
- Are We In A Biotech Bubble? You Decide | ZeroHedge
- Treasury Collateral Shortage Crosses The Atlantic, Makes European Landfall | ZeroHedge
- Saudi Arabia Then & Now (In 1 Cartoon) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's the one big advantage YouTube has over Facebook's new video... | Business Insider
- PC-based video viewership dips to lowest point in 8 months as... | Business Insider
- Eva Mendes spent just $6 on the dress she wore to her first red carpet | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- This psychological trick tempts you to spend more money | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- The new war in Yemen has already shifted the tide in... | Business Insider