Covered Call Picks (FRO,GMCR,ITMN,DRYS,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||52.5||52.5||5.1||9.70%||May-12|
Frontline Ltd (FRO) is currently trading at $6.81. Its 52 week range is between $2.52 and $25.09.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $52.45. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
InterMune Inc (ITMN) is currently trading at $14.7. Its 52 week range is between $10.67 and $51.71.
DryShips Inc (DRYS) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is $1.75 and $5.12.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $65.78. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Jim Puplava, Echoing Gundlach and Icahn, Warns of Looming Bond Market Crisis | Financial Sense
- How To Make Millions With Idea Sex | Altucher Confidential
- Why Are The IMF, The UN, The BIS And Citi All Warning That An Economic Crisis Could Be Imminent? | ZeroHedge
- Dollar Struggles; More Losses Likely Before Better Demand is Found | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: October 9 | ZeroHedge
- The US Consumer Is Bigger Than China’s Entire Economy | Financial Sense
- The Final Crescendo of Cognitive Dollar Dissonance and the Remonetization of Gold | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Malcolm-Jamal Warner opens up about Cosby allegations | Business Insider
- Tunisian democracy group wins Nobel Peace Prize | Business Insider
- The Latest: N. Korea parade for party anniversary delayed... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Suspects in Calif. yoga teacher's death, tied to 2nd... | Business Insider
- Texas college on lockdown, shooter loose after shooting | Business Insider
- Hungary fashion photographer under fire over '... | Business Insider