Covered Call Picks (FRO,GMCR,ITMN,DRYS,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||52.5||52.5||5.1||9.70%||May-12|
Frontline Ltd (FRO) is currently trading at $6.81. Its 52 week range is between $2.52 and $25.09.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $52.45. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
InterMune Inc (ITMN) is currently trading at $14.7. Its 52 week range is between $10.67 and $51.71.
DryShips Inc (DRYS) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is $1.75 and $5.12.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $65.78. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China's Bursting Bubble + Grexit Trouble = Dow Rubble | ZeroHedge
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- Artist's Impression Of This Week's ISIS Terror Attack Planning Meeting | ZeroHedge
- 5 Things To Ponder: Aircraft Erudition | ZeroHedge
- Dollar Bulls Bend, but Don't Break | ZeroHedge
- Greece Is About To Be 'Fixed' For Good | ZeroHedge
- The Global Liquidity Squeeze Has Begun | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 11 super successful tech leaders who struggled when they first arrived to... | Business Insider
- Morgan Stanley analyst is impressed by new Ford... | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- 'Unfriended' may sound dumb, but it's actually brilliant | Business Insider
- The $45 billion mega-merger between Comcast and Time... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- This is what Google looks for when selecting interns (GOOG) | Business Insider