Covered Call Picks (FRO,GMCR,ITMN,DRYS,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||52.5||52.5||5.1||9.70%||May-12|
Frontline Ltd (FRO) is currently trading at $6.81. Its 52 week range is between $2.52 and $25.09.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $52.45. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
InterMune Inc (ITMN) is currently trading at $14.7. Its 52 week range is between $10.67 and $51.71.
DryShips Inc (DRYS) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is $1.75 and $5.12.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $65.78. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gold Bullion Slips Again from 'MAJOR' Hurdle of 2011 Downtrend as IMF Raises Global GDP Forecasts | Financial Sense
- You Got Trumped! Trump not yellin’ about Yellen anymore! | ZeroHedge
- Hedge Fund CIO Asks If We Have Reached The "Capitulation" Point | ZeroHedge
- Executive Order From Trump Will Change The US Commodity Sector | ZeroHedge
- Trading a Le Pen Win in the French Elections | Financial Sense
- What Happens If The Government Shuts Down | ZeroHedge
- Sweden’s Gold Reserves: 10,000 gold bars (pet rocks) shrouded in Official Secrecy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 things you need to know before the opening bell (SPY, SPX, QQQ, DIA, CHOO) | Business Insider
- 35-year-old former All-Star the Jazz gave $22 million has been single-handedly bailing... | Business Insider
- This electric concept car proves we are living in the future | Business Insider
- Twitch raises incentives for creators | Business Insider
- A nuclear-powered submarine is joining the USS Carl Vinson near... | Business Insider
- How 'The Leftovers' got that 'famously impossible' Wu-Tang Clan song... | Business Insider
- The cost of trading up for Mitchell Trubisky might not be too bad if he falls... | Business Insider