Covered Call Picks (FRO,GMCR,ITMN,DRYS,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||52.5||52.5||5.1||9.70%||May-12|
Frontline Ltd (FRO) is currently trading at $6.81. Its 52 week range is between $2.52 and $25.09.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $52.45. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
InterMune Inc (ITMN) is currently trading at $14.7. Its 52 week range is between $10.67 and $51.71.
DryShips Inc (DRYS) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is $1.75 and $5.12.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $65.78. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A Beginning but No End | Financial Sense
- Greek Banks Considering 30% Haircut On Deposits Over €8,000: FT | ZeroHedge
- The Template for the End Game: Lies and Fraud Followed by Bail-Ins | ZeroHedge
- This Is Why The Euro Is Finished | ZeroHedge
- Massive "No" Demonstration Floods Athens' Syntagma Square As Tsipras Speaks - Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
- The Surprising Demise of Reddit | ZeroHedge
- One Heretic, And Not-So-Simple, View On The Greek Referendum | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- EU, IMF heap pressure on Greece days ahead of crucial vote... | Business Insider
- Female suicide bomber kills 12 in Nigeria mosque:... | Business Insider
- The unbelievable story behind the 'Back to Back World War Champs' tank top | Business Insider
- Apple is going to solve one of the biggest problems with the Apple Watch — battery... | Business Insider
- These are the 10 best airports in Asia | Business Insider
- European stock markets slip awaiting Greek vote | Business Insider
- Argentina, Chile poised for Copa America classic | Business Insider