Covered Call Picks (FRO,GMCR,ITMN,DRYS,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||52.5||52.5||5.1||9.70%||May-12|
Frontline Ltd (FRO) is currently trading at $6.81. Its 52 week range is between $2.52 and $25.09.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $52.45. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
InterMune Inc (ITMN) is currently trading at $14.7. Its 52 week range is between $10.67 and $51.71.
DryShips Inc (DRYS) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is $1.75 and $5.12.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $65.78. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- William O'Brien, Infamous CEO Of BATS, Has Left The Firm | ZeroHedge
- DOE, Intel Work to Keep ‘Moore’s Law’ From Expiring | Financial Sense
- Euro Eases to New 2014 Lows | Financial Sense
- Bank Of England Leads Push For Deposit Confiscation - Japan, China, Russia Against Bail-Ins | ZeroHedge
- IRA Contributions Hit Record High As Unpatriotic Americans "Save More, Pay Off Debt, Spend Less" | ZeroHedge
- Flight MH-17 Black Boxes To Be Analyzed In "Impartial" London | ZeroHedge
- A Revolving Door Farce: CFTC Commissioner Bails To Head Regulator's Biggest Opponent | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the Day 07/... | StreetInsider.com
- 17 Facts About North Korea That Will Blow Your Mind | Business Insider
- Market Wrap: Mobile... | StreetInsider.com
- Greenberg: Ackman and Herbalife -- The Day After | TheStreet.com
- LEAKED: Here's What The Next Google Smartwatch Will Probably Look Like | Business Insider
- The 10 Best Ice Cream Shops In The US, According To Pinterest Users | Business Insider
- How The Endless Quest For Love Is Sparking Massive Growth In Dating Apps | Business Insider