Covered Call Picks (FRO,GMCR,ITMN,DRYS,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||52.5||52.5||5.1||9.70%||May-12|
Frontline Ltd (FRO) is currently trading at $6.81. Its 52 week range is between $2.52 and $25.09.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $52.45. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
InterMune Inc (ITMN) is currently trading at $14.7. Its 52 week range is between $10.67 and $51.71.
DryShips Inc (DRYS) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is $1.75 and $5.12.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $65.78. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Weekday Wrap-Up: Supercomputers, Corrections, and Converging Cycles | Financial Sense
- Gold Prices to 1-Week Low as Safe Haven Demand Falls | Financial Sense
- The Chart That All "Above Average Intelligence Traders" Ignored Today | ZeroHedge
- Q3: Not Amazing Nor Disappointing | Financial Sense
- Caption Contest: "No Tongues" Edition | ZeroHedge
- 5 Things To Ponder: To QE Or Not To QE | ZeroHedge
- MeeT ZeRo THe WHiTeHouSe GuaRD DoG... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of... | StreetInsider.com
- 8 Reasons This Is An Ideal Résumé For Someone With A Lot Of Work... | Business Insider
- ROUBINI: America Is A Sick, Sick Country | Business Insider
- Pfizer Announces Eye-Popping $11 Billion Share Buyback Plan (PFE) | Business Insider
- Microsoft Reveals Total Xbox Sales For Last Quarter (MSFT) | Business Insider
- British police pay £425,000 to mother of spy's child | Business Insider
- This Crazy Chart Perfectly Illustrates Why You Should Never Expect 'Average'... | Business Insider