Covered Call Picks (FRO,GMCR,ITMN,DRYS,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|GMCR||Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc||52.5||52.5||5.1||9.70%||May-12|
Frontline Ltd (FRO) is currently trading at $6.81. Its 52 week range is between $2.52 and $25.09.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $52.45. Its 52 week range is between $34.06 and $115.98.
InterMune Inc (ITMN) is currently trading at $14.7. Its 52 week range is between $10.67 and $51.71.
DryShips Inc (DRYS) is currently trading at $3.44. Its 52 week range is $1.75 and $5.12.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $65.78. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 30 Year Yield Drops Below 3.00% As Richmond Fed Tumbles Most Since 2006 | ZeroHedge
- A Feast of Data This Week | Financial Sense
- Dr. Gary Small on "The Alzheimer's Prevention Program" | Financial Sense
- THE TURKEY GODS ARE HERE | iBankCoin.com
- Grant Williams: The Consequences Of Economic Peace | ZeroHedge
- Gary Shilling on Interest Rates, Deleveraging, and Corporate Profits | Financial Sense
- "We Blew It," Chuck Schumer Says Democrat Focus On Obamacare Was Wrong | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Incredible Story Of The Women Who Were Meant To Be The First Astronauts | Business Insider
- Juncker unveils massive EU investment plan | Business Insider
- Here's The New Actor Who Will Play Steve... | Business Insider
- The 10 Biggest Poker Players In Silicon Valley | Business Insider
- Consumer Confidence Tumbles (DIA, SPY, QQQ, TLT, IWM) | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- The First 'Jurassic World' Trailer Reveals The Dinosaur Theme Park Of Our... | Business Insider