Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Biggest Bond Bubble In History Is Turning Into Carnage | ZeroHedge
- The Market (Over) Reacts... | ZeroHedge
- Tuesday’s Potential Runners | iBankCoin.com
- STTG Market Recap June 18, 2013 | FundMyMutualFund
- Follow The Bouncing Fed | ZeroHedge
- Bernanke On Soaring Interest Rates: "We Were A Little Puzzled By That" | ZeroHedge
- This Is Bernanke's Minimum-Wage "Recovery" In Facts And Figures | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 10 Highest-Paid Players In The NBA Finals | Business Insider
- Jeff Zucker May Actually Be Crazy Enough To Save CNN | Business Insider
- A Man Is In A Coma After Organizers Dumped Liquid Nitrogen In The Pool... | Business Insider
- One Of Goldman Sachs' Veteran Recruiting Execs Explains What It Takes To Get... | Business Insider
- This Vine Captures How Gigantic Last Night's... | Business Insider
- Forget The F-22 And F-35, Russia's New Su-35 Fighter Jet Blows Them Away | Business Insider
- OBAMA: NSA Surveillance Programs Have 'Saved Lives' And Stopped At... | Business Insider