Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Outlines New "Offensive" Military Strategy; Builds Lighthouses In Disputed Waters | ZeroHedge
- "Graccident" Will Trigger The Demise Of The ECB And The World's Toxic Regime Of Keynesian Central Banking | ZeroHedge
- S&P Ramp Stalls At 50% Retracement (For Now) | ZeroHedge
- Dallas Fed Crashes To Six Year Lows As Employment Collapses | ZeroHedge
- This Innovation Will Help U.S. Companies Win the Oil Price War | Financial Sense
- Secular Trends in New Residential Building Permits and Housing Starts | Financial Sense
- The Only Question That Matters In Today's Markets | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Here’s what the $56 billion Charter and Time Warner Cable merger is... | Business Insider
- Kvitova struggles as giants make Paris entrance | Business Insider
- FIFA corruption probe: LIVE REPORT | Business Insider
- Young Americans are getting married a lot less than they used to | Business Insider
- Houston submerged as wild weather kills at least 28... | Business Insider
- Apple quietly fixed a problem that made its Macs 'like... | Business Insider