Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Jill Stein Drops PA Recount, Blames Lack Of Funds, Slams System That's "Stacked Against Voters" | ZeroHedge
- Stripped of Accounting Gimmicks, the US Has Been on the Verge of Recession since 2011 | ZeroHedge
- Online Activist Will Spend 10 Years In Jail For "Spreading False News" | ZeroHedge
- CNN Caught in Locker Room Talk; Crew Jokes About Trump's Plane Crashing | ZeroHedge
- Buyers Remorse? Trump Supporter Was Foreclosed On By Treasury Pick Steve Mnuchin | ZeroHedge
- VIX Flash-Crashes On Payrolls Print, Stocks Sink | ZeroHedge
- Goldman's Bear Case In 7 Steps: "We Are In The 98th Percentile Of Historical Valuations" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Most garbage floating in the ocean gathers in these 5 giant patches | Business Insider
- Tesla is powering an entire island with clean energy | Business Insider
- How one Trump voter lost her home to his pick for Treasury... | Business Insider
- Here's what happens to your brain and body when someone breaks your... | Business Insider
- Boris Johnson says the UK will not block a closer EU common... | Business Insider
- 8 things successful married couples never do with their money | Business Insider
- DAVID CAMERON: A Marine Le Pen victory in France would be... | Business Insider