Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Europe's Central Bank Is in a Bind Over Bonds | Financial Sense
- Watergate's Bob Woodward: "Clinton Foundation Is Corrupt, It's A Scandal" | ZeroHedge
- 'Clever' Clinton Camp Mocks Trump Supporters With DIY Tin Foil Hats | ZeroHedge
- The Public Pension Time Bomb Is Starting to Explode | Financial Sense
- What Happens When the Electricity Is Off for Three Days? | Financial Sense
- Trump: "Hillary's Plan For Syria Would Lead to World War III" | ZeroHedge
- Oil Tumbles To 3 Week Lows After Unexpectedly Large Inventory Build | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These are the 20 best-selling business books of 2016 so far | Business Insider
- The woman at the center of the Rolling Stone rape scandal says PTSD has affected her... | Business Insider
- Why you should start saving up to have kids as soon as you get married | Business Insider
- Former US Navy captain: Brace for more Iranian-backed attacks against the US | Business Insider
- Here's every US state's September unemployment rate | Business Insider
- One convicted murderer is... | Business Insider
- These are the best suede shoes you can wear this fall | Business Insider