Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Will Trump Release The Missing JFK Files? | ZeroHedge
- Companies Bracing for Disappointment, Zatlin Says | Financial Sense
- Japan Shows Footage Of US Aircraft Carrier Just Hours Away From Korea | ZeroHedge
- UC Davis Rolls Out "Morning After Pill" Vending Machines - "It Encourages Responsibility" | ZeroHedge
- Hasta La Vista... Traders? (The Future of Artificial Intelligence in the Financial Industry) | Financial Sense
- You Can't Buy Love... But You Can Rent It | ZeroHedge
- Building the "Perfect" Digital Investment Portfolio & How to Value "Hard to Value" tokens, Pt 1 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A small Wall Street firm is set to make a killing... | Business Insider
- Geopolitical risk's affect on oil is overrated | Business Insider
- Here's the story that will finally convince you to call your cell phone company,... | Business Insider
- A big Cisco naysayer has reversed course and now believes the company... | Business Insider
- Why having more single people is good for society, according to a... | Business Insider
- The smartphone is replacing one of the most important... | Business Insider
- 5 books that will completely change the way you... | Business Insider