Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Russia Confirms Troop Build-Up Near Ukraine; Warns West, More Sanctions "Absolutely Unacceptable" | ZeroHedge
- Lassonde: Gold Moving Sideways; Very Bullish on Natural Gas | Financial Sense
- Reports Are Not Yet Confirming Slowdown Was All Weather Related | Financial Sense
- EU Takes Steps Toward Energy Independence From Russia | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap April 16, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Further Downside May Be Ahead, Though Long-Term Trend Still Intact | Financial Sense
- We Again See Real Estate As Best Investment | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These Are The Best Renders Of What The iPhone 6 Might Look Like We've Seen Yet (AAPL) | Business Insider
- New Militant Group Claims Responsibility For... | Business Insider
- Jump-Start Your Day With This Ancient Coffee Recipe | Business Insider
- 9 Things You Didn't Know About Trader Joe's | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- There Are Only 3 Ways To Stop The Inevitable Robot Uprising | Business Insider
- Chevy Corvette and Camaro: New American Muscle in 2015 | TheStreet.com