Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Competitive Theories: “Deflation Warning” vs. “Inflation Is Nearly Everywhere” | Financial Sense
- Wall Street Gets A Merry Christmas Main Street Gets Keynesian Coal | ZeroHedge
- Judge Rules Obama's Abuse Of Executive Orders Is "Unconstitutional" | ZeroHedge
- Jim Grant: "The Fed Has A 3rd Mandate... The Administration Of American Equity Prices" | ZeroHedge
- The Biggest Economic Story Going Into 2015 Is Not Oil | ZeroHedge
- Draghi Now Has All the Ammunition He Needs for QE - Implementation Still a Problem | Financial Sense
- 150 Years Of Global Monetary Policy Summed Up In One Word (And 1 Chart) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- NYPD Officers Turn Their Backs On Mayor De Blasio | Business Insider
- HP Stream 13 Notebook Review: A Super-Affordable Windows Laptop | TheStreet.com
- These Are The 10 Best Used Cars For First-Time Drivers | Business Insider
- Johnny Manziel Leaves Game With Injury After Hard Hit | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- Uber Responds After Singer Nikki Williams Accuses Her Driver Of Trying To ‘Grab And Kiss’ Her | Business Insider