Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- When BTFD Fails: Spot The Oil ETF "Knife Catchers" | ZeroHedge
- Did Treasury Secretary Lew Just Call Draghi A Currency Manipulator? | ZeroHedge
- Chart Of The Day: Souring "Mother's Milk" Edition | ZeroHedge
- No More "Dog Dung Vacuums" As SkyMall Files For Bankruptcy | ZeroHedge
- Crude, Copper, & Euro Currency Crushed By King Dollar's Best Week In Over 3 Years | ZeroHedge
- Q4 Shaping Up As Worst Quarter In Years: Aggregate Revenues And EPS Have Missed By 1.2% and 0.4% So Far | ZeroHedge
- The End of the Bull Market? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Richard Sherman Had A Great Explanation For Why Kam Chancellor Is So... | Business Insider
- The Most Powerful GOP Donors Are About To Have A 2016 Meeting In Florida | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- America Should Reconsider Its Cozy Relationship With... | Business Insider
- Why Venezuela Is The 'Most Miserable' Country In The World, Again | Business Insider
- The CIA's Top Spy Is Stepping Down | Business Insider
- Top Economists Call For Greece To Get A Debt Write-Off... | Business Insider