Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- LiaR IN The HoLe! | ZeroHedge
- Obama Sued: House Authorizes Lawsuit Against President With 225-201 Vote | ZeroHedge
- Portuguese Regulator Bans Short-Selling After Banco Espirito Santo Unveils Massive $5 Billion Loss | ZeroHedge
- How To Go Out At The Top | Altucher Confidential
- Guest Post: Why Impeachment Is Necessary | ZeroHedge
- TRiPoLi CLiNToN... | ZeroHedge
- The Current ECB Programs Create a QE-like Environment, Setting Up for Moral Hazards | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Retailer Removes Mannequin With Visible Ribcage After Customers Complain | Business Insider
- So, The Fed Pretty Much Doesn't Care About The Unemployment Rate Anymore (DIA... | Business Insider
- Twitter's Monthly Active Users Are Growing Again — And The World Cup... | Business Insider
- 9 Subtle Things Leaders Do That Show They Have Integrity | Business Insider
- 3D Systems Shares Are Cratering (DDD) | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- A Russian Soldier's Instagram Posts May Be The Clearest Indication Of Moscow's... | Business Insider