Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- ‘Peak Gold’ in 2015? - Goldman Sachs Research Warns of Peak Gold Production | ZeroHedge
- Driverless Cars Poised to Transform Automotive Industry | Financial Sense
- Oil Jumps As Houthis Enter El-Mandeb Strait Military Base | ZeroHedge
- Is Greece's Debt Odious? | Financial Sense
- Gold In Fed Vault Drops Under 6,000 Tons For The First Time, After 10th Consecutive Month Of Redemptions | ZeroHedge
- AIG Lite: Margin Call Claimed First Foreign Casualty Of Austrian "Black Swan" | ZeroHedge
- "It's Not Bearish, It's Simply Sane" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- The 5 basic Excel shortcuts everyone needs to know | Business Insider
- Prada is in crisis | Business Insider
- The Browns and Bucs have the most valuable collection of picks in the... | Business Insider
- The Serious... | Business Insider
- KEVIN SPACEY: Bill Clinton says 'House of Cards' is '... | Business Insider
- Iraq forces retake government HQ in Tikrit from IS | Business Insider