Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- New Russia-China-Iran Alliance Could Push US Out Of Much Of The Middle East | ZeroHedge
- Dispelling The Norwegian Housing Myth | ZeroHedge
- The First Victims Of The Libor Surge Have Emerged... In Japan | ZeroHedge
- What Happens When Central Banks Become Major Buyers in the Stock Market? Case Study: Japan | Financial Sense
- Home Prices Are Soaring In America's 2nd Most Dangerous City | ZeroHedge
- US Manufacturing Flashes "Warning Light" As New Orders, Employment Tumble | ZeroHedge
- Facing Reality | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Baby Boomer favorite is nearly extinct | Business Insider
- The TSA is finding more and more guns at airport... | Business Insider
- Business Insider invites you to share your opinion | Business Insider
- This 15-second drone video makes real life look like a video game | Business Insider
- A Belgian 'Pokémon Go' player temporarily blocked access to the game... | Business Insider
- China just opened the world’s highest and longest glass... | Business Insider
- Jawbone just lost its big case against Fitbit (FIT) | Business Insider