Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- US Homeownership Rate Drops To 1983 Levels: Here's Why | ZeroHedge
- Putting The Fallacy Of QE Into Perspective | ZeroHedge
- FOMC Ends QE; Reiterates "Considerable Time" for Low Rates | Financial Sense
- Dead Man's Party | ZeroHedge
- THE RAILS WILL GET THEIR REVENGE | iBankCoin.com
- The 'Other' Recession Indicator Is Flashing Red | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- There It Goes Again — Russian Ruble Falls To New Record Lows | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of the Day 10/29... | StreetInsider.com
- Kim Kardashian Hoards Blackberry Phones From eBay Because She's Afraid... | Business Insider
- Sweden recognises Palestinian state | Business Insider
- German World Cup winners fill Ballon d'Or list | Business Insider
- This App Wants To Make Sure You Never Ask For A Check At A Restaurant Again | Business Insider
- One Chatty Banker Cost His Bank 'Millions Of Dollars' On The Alibaba IPO Deal | Business Insider