Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is The American Dream Dead? | ZeroHedge
- WTI Crude Plunges To New Cycle Lows As Energy Credit Risk Hits Record Highs | ZeroHedge
- Buyer's Remorse? Axel Merk Warns "The Fed Doesn't Have A Clue!" | ZeroHedge
- "It's Worse Than 2008": CEO Of World's Largest Shipping Company Delivers Dire Assessment Of Global Economy | ZeroHedge
- "Someone" Desperately Intervened to Save Stocks Yesterday | ZeroHedge
- "I Don't Trust Deutsche Bank" David Stockman Unleashes Truth Bomb: "When The Crunch Comes, Bank CEOs Lie" | ZeroHedge
- Q4 Earnings Illustrate Earnings Recession | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This man's morning starts at 3 a.m. but he doesn't go to bed early — here's how he does it | Business Insider
- The incredible rise of Sundar Pichai, one of the most powerful CEOs in the world (GOOG) | Business Insider
- The CEO of $2.8 billion Slack says it has one big... | Business Insider
- How the smartphone's dominance will shape digital commerce | Business Insider
- The 25 hot L.A. startups you need to watch | Business Insider
- JOHN MCAFEE: We're a lot more exposed to hackers than you think... | Business Insider
- Here's the tricky interview question Larry Ellison asked to hire extremely... | Business Insider