Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Paul Craig Roberts: "Americans Are A Conquered People" | ZeroHedge
- This Is How Much Your Health Insurance Payment Is About To Jump By | ZeroHedge
- Feds Probing Potential Insider Trading By Senator Bob Corker | ZeroHedge
- Someone Is Going To Be Disappointed | ZeroHedge
- Clinton Campaign Blames Slumping Support On Bernie "Holding Her Back" | ZeroHedge
- Chevron Facility Goes Offline In Nigeria Following Tweeted Attack By Mysterious Militant Group | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: May 26 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 4 grooming mistakes you should stop making in the warmer months | Business Insider
- The most popular Japanese retailer can't get Americans to shop there | Business Insider
- REMITTANCES EXPLAINED: How funds are transferred across borders, and why digital is poised... | Business Insider
- North Koreans are working themselves to death in Europe to fund... | Business Insider
- Here's what's next for Discover Weekly,... | Business Insider
- The French Foreign Legion in World War II was filled with... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek