Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Has The Fed Already Lost? | ZeroHedge
- Crude Prices Surge as the Pieces Fall Into Place | Financial Sense
- BiLLY KRiSTooL... | ZeroHedge
- Bottled Up Nitroglycerine | iBankCoin.com
- HOW TO BECOME A JEDI KNIGHT | Altucher Confidential
- Central Bankers Next Test Of Omnipotence May Be Coming | ZeroHedge
- Congress Is Trying To Reauthorize Key Patriot Act Provisions by Sneaking it Into 'USA Freedom Act' | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Here's what the first 'Star Wars' spinoff movie will be about | Business Insider
- Aston Villa end Gerrard's FA Cup dream | Business Insider
- Aussie PM downs beer in a few seconds, sparking debate | Business Insider
- 7 famous founders talk about leaving their own companies | Business Insider
- New Google security chief looks for balance with privacy | Business Insider
- Here's your complete preview of this week's big economic events | Business Insider