Covered Call Picks (BBRY,MBI,CLF,AKAM,CHK)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $14.99. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
MBIA Inc (MBI) is currently trading at $11.97. Its 52 week range is between $6.78 and $13.7.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $22.09. Its 52 week range is between $21.35 and $73.63.
Akamai Technologies Inc (AKAM) is currently trading at $34.69. Its 52 week range is between $25.9 and $42.53.
Chesapeake Energy Corp (CHK) is currently trading at $22.46. Its 52 week range is between $13.32 and $26.09.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- DEATH, MISERY and a BEAR MARKET | iBankCoin.com
- HuMPTY UST ReSeRVe DuMPTY… | ZeroHedge
- DeVoe’s Unprovable But Highly Probable Theories | Financial Sense
- The Alarming Regularity of 6 and 7-Sigma Events Illustrates Why a Deep Understanding of Banker-Induced Fraud is a Necessity | ZeroHedge
- IT’S ALL GOING DOWN SOON | iBankCoin.com
- Clash, Mesh, Rattle... Thud | Financial Sense
- China: Doomed If You Do, Doomed If You Don't | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here are the absurd prices for Apple products in Brazil | Business Insider
- Socialbakers has a new CEO | Business Insider
- Beacons are moving out of the pilot phase and helping retailers and marketers revolutionize... | Business Insider
- Federal Sony data breach lawsuit settled, lawyer says | Business Insider
- Latest on US Open: Madison Keys makes 3rd round for 1st... | Business Insider
- Zero-hours contracts are exploding in the UK and education is the fastest... | Business Insider
- 3,000 naked bike riders photo-bomb Philadelphia wedding | Business Insider