Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Obama Prepares To Send National Guard To Texas As Flood Of Immigrant Children Overwhelms US | ZeroHedge
- Europe Unveils Preliminary Sanctions Against Russia | ZeroHedge
- 11.7% Of The World's At War: Global Geopolitical Risk Mapped | ZeroHedge
- Please Don't Blame The Fed: Alan Greenspan Says "Bubbles Are A Function Of Human Nature" | ZeroHedge
- You Know It's The New Normal When... | ZeroHedge
- Spot The Lone Objector | ZeroHedge
- World Oil Production – Where Are We Headed? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Facebook, Pepsico Upgraded; Boeing Gets Downgrade | TheStreet.com
- How Frozen Yogurt Shops Are Designed To Get You To Spend More Money | Business Insider
- Pandora Is Tanking (P) | Business Insider
- Let's Quickly Run Through Some Of The Great Economic News Of The Morning | Business Insider
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider
- There's A Big Warning About Acquisitions In David Einhorn's Latest... | Business Insider
- MARKETS GO NOWHERE, FACEBOOK SURGES: Here's What You Need To Know (CAT, GM, SODA, Z, V, TRLA,... | Business Insider