Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Current ECB Programs Create a QE-like Environment, Setting Up for Moral Hazards | Financial Sense
- Is It 1999 All Over Again? | Financial Sense
- U.S. Utility Companies Push Back in Net Metering Battle | Financial Sense
- "London Fix" Gold Rigging By Bullion Bank Exposed In Class Action Lawsuit: The Complete Charts | ZeroHedge
- It is Mostly about the US Next Week | ZeroHedge
- The Chinese vs Japanese Navy Head To Head: An Infographic | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap July 24, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of... | StreetInsider.com
- Expect A Few Minor Tweaks To The Fed's Language This Week | Business Insider
- General Motors and Exxon Downgraded, Under Armour Raised at UBS | TheStreet.com
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- IGGY AZALEA: Meet The 24-Year-Old Aussie Rapper Who Is Taking Over The Summer | Business Insider
- Market Wrap: Housing Sales... | StreetInsider.com
- New York Has A New 'Millionaire Lair' For The Hard-Partying Elite | Business Insider