Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Late Night Strategy for Friday | iBankCoin.com
- Santelli Slams The Fed As "Weak-Data"-Dependent; Lacy Hunt Warns "We're Not On The Right Path" | ZeroHedge
- Caption Contest: "So Bullish It Hurts" Edition | ZeroHedge
- Q3 GDP Rises 3.5% Despite Sharp Slowdown In Consumption, Pushed Higher By Government Spending Spree | ZeroHedge
- Night Owl Open Forum | iBankCoin.com
- And The Biggest Beneficiary Of QE3 Is... | ZeroHedge
- The Current State of Social Media Stocks | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Kim Jong-un Continues Post-Absence Media Tour With Fighter Jet... | Business Insider
- For One Day Only, Uber Will Let You Order A Kitten To Your Office | Business Insider
- The Simple Reason Why The San Francisco Giants Can't Be Considered A Dynasty | Business Insider
- These Police Cars Are So Awesome You'll Want To Get Pulled Over | Business Insider
- GOLD BREAKS $1,200 | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- SodaStream to close controversial West Bank plant | Business Insider