Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is a Major Bear Market in Stocks Ahead? Important Signs to Watch | Financial Sense
- GLUTTONY | iBankCoin.com
- Alexis Tsipras' Open Letter To Germany: What You Were Never Told About Greece | ZeroHedge
- 5 Things To Ponder: Ascending Contingencies | ZeroHedge
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other | ZeroHedge
- The New Greek Finance Minister Has Some Questions For The World's Journalists | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How To Write Emails That Get Replies From Extremely Busy People | Business Insider
- Yahoo Is Tanking Pre-Market (YHOO) | Business Insider
- Danmarks Nationalbank Cuts Rates AGAIN | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- 3 Biggest Takeaways From Google's Latest Earnings Report | TheStreet.com
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- Thousands of live cats from China seized in Vietnam | Business Insider