Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Secret Pentagon Report Reveals US "Created" ISIS As A "Tool" To Overthrow Syria's President Assad | ZeroHedge
- "Strongly Dissatisfied" China Warns US "Accident" Is "Highly Likely" In South China Sea | ZeroHedge
- Secular Trends in New Residential Building Permits and Housing Starts | Financial Sense
- How China's (Formerly) Richest Man Destroyed His Own Fortune When He Tried To Sell A Stock | ZeroHedge
- Traders Are Buying Gold & Silver At Fastest Pace In Over A Decade | ZeroHedge
- Japan Pleases Markets With Surprise Growth | Financial Sense
- Wall Street R.I.P. - The Bubble Is Dying At The Zero Bound | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Gunfight kills 43 in troubled Mexican state | Business Insider
- The 17 hottest tech startups in Germany | Business Insider
- There's a new game coming out based on an insane glitch in the original... | Business Insider
- Blast hits Shiite mosque in eastern Saudi | Business Insider
- Ireland approves gay marriage in referendum: public... | Business Insider
- Cannes race wide open on awards eve | Business Insider
- Greek premier defiant as bailout talks enter '... | Business Insider