Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Draghi’s Risk Is He Speaks And No One Listens | ZeroHedge
- Is the Student Loan Bubble Getting Ready to Pop? | Financial Sense
- Italy: Prime Minister Resigns After Referendum Defeat | Financial Sense
- Moody's Cuts Italy Ratings Outlook To Negative | ZeroHedge
- What Has Gone Wrong With Oil Prices, Debt, & GDP Growth? | ZeroHedge
- What's Behind The Relentless Market Surge? RBC Explains | ZeroHedge
- Technical Risk Management Rules (Video) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Some lawmakers think they can keep Social Security on life support for 75 more years... | Business Insider
- 'El Chapo' Guzmán's henchmen were able to build not one, but 2... | Business Insider
- Most forensic science is bogus | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today | Business Insider
- Trump's penchant for dealmaking follows in the footsteps of Lyndon B.... | Business Insider
- Millennials have no use for your mobile ads | Business Insider
- The indigenous people's fight against the Dakota Access... | Business Insider