Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Exit the Dragon – China’s Debt Is Everyone’s Problem | Financial Sense
- What Are The Three Signs Of A "Disorderly" Currency Market: Richard Koo Explains | ZeroHedge
- Caught On Tape: The Last Minutes Of Life Of A Bumbling ISIS Fighter | ZeroHedge
- Market Recap Apr 29, 2016 | FundMyMutualFund
- Warning: Hawkishness Ahead | Financial Sense
- Gold “Chart of The Decade” – Maths Suggest $10,000 Per Ounce Says Rickards | ZeroHedge
- "Don't Fly Near Our Borders" - U.S. Spy Plane Again Intercepted By Russian Jet | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Access Hollywood' cohost Billy Bush is expected to move to 'Today' | Business Insider
- The oil crash caused Exxon to report its worst profit since 1999 (XOM) | Business Insider
- A crucial test event for the Rio Olympics 'endangered the safety of... | Business Insider
- Testimony on the F-35 was all over the place | Business Insider
- What cocaine does to your body and brain | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- Here's what publishers are doing to keep up with... | Business Insider