Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dispelling The Norwegian Housing Myth | ZeroHedge
- When The Trucks Stop Running... | ZeroHedge
- Fed Admits Another $4 Trillion In QE Will Be Needed To Offset An "Economic Shock" | ZeroHedge
- The Collapse Of American Free Press: Martin Armstrong Rages "It's Just Over" | ZeroHedge
- Congress Demand An Explanation For Epipen Price Increases; Mylan Slides | ZeroHedge
- Existing Home Sales Crush Recovery Narrative, Plunge Most Since Nov 2015 | ZeroHedge
- As Congress Prepares To Crackdown On Epipen Price Increases, A Problem Has Emerged | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Virginia governor restores voting rights to 13,000 felons | Business Insider
- Google and Facebook have a long way to go to get the rest of the world online (GOOG, FB)... | Business Insider
- 8 heartbreaking photos that go inside the homes that were wrecked by Hurricane... | Business Insider
- We need a global treaty on plastics — here’s what it should look like | Business Insider
- Donald Trump is even with Hillary Clinton in another reliably red state | Business Insider
- McDonald's recalls 29 million fitness trackers in the US that... | Business Insider
- Prince likely obtained deadly drug illegally and someone could... | Business Insider