Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Americans - The New Second-Class Citizens | ZeroHedge
- Is Gold a Commodity? | ZeroHedge
- A Crisis Unlike We Have Seen In Human History | ZeroHedge
- Chasing Yield Into Minefields | ZeroHedge
- Switzerland Prepares To Vote On "Free Lunch" For Everyone | ZeroHedge
- Former Patriot Coal CEO Murdered | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: May 26 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The most extravagant places tech billionaires go to vacation | Business Insider
- Sears is losing its last hope for staying in business | Business Insider
- The quirky story of how WWI vets popularized the most important accessory in a... | Business Insider
- 7 undercover inmates spent 2 months in jail — here are the most outrageous things they... | Business Insider
- 7 creative ways regular people made $1 million | Business Insider
- 'Game of Thrones' is having its highest-rated season — here's how many... | Business Insider
- Scientists have a new theory on what makes up dark matter | Business Insider