Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Does The Stock Market Matter? | ZeroHedge
- Go Ahead, Fade It | iBankCoin.com
- The Year of The Fly Continues | iBankCoin.com
- Government Using Subprime Mortgages To Pump Housing Recovery - Taxpayers Will Pay Again | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Sinko-No-Buyo As Crude Hits 6-Month Highs | ZeroHedge
- For HFTs It's All About FX: Trading Currencies Is Now Virtu's Biggest Source Of Revenue | ZeroHedge
- Economy Tied in a Spending Knot | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Chinese warships just sailed to Russia ahead of a possible major arms deal between the... | Business Insider
- HSBC bank says Q1 net profits edges higher | Business Insider
- 10 things you need to know before European markets open | Business Insider
- Nepal relief effort intensifies as toll rises to 7,557 | Business Insider
- Elon Musk: Demand for Tesla Energy batteries is '... | Business Insider
- A mysterious American ISIS recruiter may... | Business Insider
- Mountain View mayor asks hotel developer for a... | Business Insider