Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Late-Day Panic-Buying Sends Dow To Longest Record Streak In 30 Years | ZeroHedge
- Banned HuffPo Contributor: Trump "Must Go Through Hell Every Day If This Is How The Press Is Behaving" | ZeroHedge
- Move Over Greece, Italy's Crisis Will Be Worse | ZeroHedge
- French Prosecutor To Open Official Probe Into Francois Fillon's Embezzlement Allegations | ZeroHedge
- Pettis: Capital Flooding Into US as Global Trade Environment Deteriorates | Financial Sense
- Trump Slams "Fake News" At CPAC Speech, Blasts Use Of Anonymous Sources | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: February 23 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- An executive coach shares 6 ways to... | Business Insider
- CALL FOR ENTRIES: Nominate the most creative women in advertising | Business Insider
- Lawsuits could mean that the Silicon Valley self-driving-tech... | Business Insider
- The best bar in every state, according to Yelp | Business Insider
- Gillette is cutting the price of its razors by up to 20% | Business Insider
- What to do when you have a problem at work, and human resources won't... | Business Insider