Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Watch As A US Missile Destroyer Departs Greece For The Black Sea | ZeroHedge
- Beige Book Saw Modest-To-Moderate Growth Despite 119 Mentions Of The Word "Weather" | ZeroHedge
- Ukraine Says Its Telecom Service Under "Brazen" Cyber Attack | ZeroHedge
- Initial Claims Beat; Drop To 3-Month Lows | ZeroHedge
- A Lackluster Start to the Year | Financial Sense
- The Herd Mentality – The Left Tail Will Follow The Right Tail | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: A Letter From Cass Sunstein | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- Russia's Propaganda Channel Already Has A Map Showing Crimea As Part Of Russia... | Business Insider
- Coolest 2014 Cars Under $25,000 | TheStreet.com
- 19 Things America Does Better Than The Rest Of The World | Business Insider
- Couple In Their 60s Accused Of Murdering Socialite In Colorado... | Business Insider
- 5 Questions For David Rosenberg | Business Insider
- Crimea's Vote To Join Russia Accelerates The Ukraine... | Business Insider