Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- My Market Call | iBankCoin.com
- Beggar Thy Neighbor? Greece's Battered Banks Beget Balkan Jitters | ZeroHedge
- The War On Some Drugs | ZeroHedge
- European Bank Risk Spikes Most In 5 Years To 19-Month Highs | ZeroHedge
- With Knife Murders Spiking After Gun Ban, UK Urges "Save A Life - Surrender Your Knife" | ZeroHedge
- "Unleash The Bullard": S&P 500 Plunges To 3-Month Lows, Nears Red For 2015 | ZeroHedge
- A Beginning but No End | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- Calvin Klein just bought this masterpiece contemporary mansion for... | Business Insider
- The company behind the Gatwick oil discovery just bought a... | Business Insider
- Now Google Street View goes under the... | Business Insider
- How to buy a superyacht like you're Larry Page or Mark Cuban | Business Insider
- Iran talks eagerly await foreign minister's... | Business Insider
- 'What chumps!': John Roberts' dissent in a major Supreme Court... | Business Insider