Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Circus Is In Town | ZeroHedge
- ECB Keeps Rates Unchanged, QE Details To Come Shortly | ZeroHedge
- One Last Look At The Real Economy Before It Implodes - Part 1 | ZeroHedge
- Initial Jobless Claims Surge To 10 Month Highs, Worst Start To A Year Since 2009 | ZeroHedge
- Canary Meet Coal Mine: Miami Condo Sales Are "Cooling Down" | ZeroHedge
- What the Latest Payroll Data Really Means for the Labor Market | Financial Sense
- Stop Complaining About the Weather | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- 15 amazing features in Google Apps you probably don't know about | Business Insider
- The Eagles traded their best player to create millions in salary cap space and he... | Business Insider
- US billionaire says WWII Japanese ship found in... | Business Insider
- Here's why the Boston bomber pleaded not guilty even though... | Business Insider
- Only 6% of Americans who make over $100,000 say they... | Business Insider
- Los Angeles and Boston are the new kings of sports championships | Business Insider