Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Rude Awakening for Those Who Ignored the Energy Markets' Warning Signs | Financial Sense
- Softness in Q2, Financials Better | Financial Sense
- UBS Exposes The "Scary Reality" Of High Yield Energy | ZeroHedge
- The Turkish Enigma | Financial Sense
- Twitter Surges, Then Fades After Hours On User Growth Confusion: The Full Quarter In 6 Charts | ZeroHedge
- Has The E&P Industry Lost Touch With Reality? | ZeroHedge
- Ron Paul Slams Gen. Wesley Clark: Is He Kidding, Internment Camps? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why words get stuck on the tip of your tongue, and how to stop it... | Business Insider
- Nike is giving... | Business Insider
- REVIEW: You're going to love Windows 10 (MSFT) | Business Insider
- Netflix 'plugging away' on securing another... | Business Insider
- Deutsche Bank on China's crazy stock market: 'There's no obvious... | Business Insider
- Boston's Olympics bid is dead | Business Insider
- Volkswagen lowers sales forecast as China demand drops | Business Insider