Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- You Asked For It, And Here It Is: The First GDP Downgrade Due To The Polar Vortex 2.0 | ZeroHedge
- The S&P's GAAP P/E Ratio Rises Above 19X | ZeroHedge
- Bill Cosby And GATA | ZeroHedge
- Wall Street Stunned As Iceland Dares To Jail Banker Involved In 2008 Crash | ZeroHedge
- Investor Sentiment in the Balance | Financial Sense
- Neo-Feudalism Has Officially Arrived – Congressman Suggests Building A Moat Around White House | ZeroHedge
- THe PeoPLe'S KeYNe'S... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Unusual 11 Mid... | StreetInsider.com
- The First 'Pitch Perfect 2' Trailer Is Out And It's Hysterical | Business Insider
- GOLDMAN: Here Are Our Top 8 Trades For 2015 | Business Insider
- HBO CEO: Director Mike Nichols Was A Legend | Business Insider
- Battling Ebola: the worst of humanitarian missions | Business Insider
- Gap Between iPhone 6 and 6-Plus Is Bigger Than Anyone Thought | TheStreet.com
- These Numbers Might Be The Most Shocking Thing About The... | Business Insider