Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US-Backed Rebels Release Video Of Dead Russian Pilot | ZeroHedge
- Commodites Plunge To New 16 Year Low; Oil Slides On Venezuela Warning, Soaring Dollar | ZeroHedge
- Another Look at the Gold Price Drop of 6 November | ZeroHedge
- The Closing Of The Global Economy | ZeroHedge
- What Does History Say About the First Rate Hike and Stocks? | Financial Sense
- Dollar Index Tops 100 As EURUSD Tumbles To 1.05 Handle, 7-Month Lows | ZeroHedge
- Turkish Delight? Post-EU Close Buying Binge Sends Dow, S&P Surging Above Overnight Highs | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Report: Turkey shoots down warplane over airspace... | Business Insider
- Police: Palestinian killed after stabbing man in Jerusalem... | Business Insider
- Fire kills 18 migrants at Algeria camp: emergency... | Business Insider
- Barcelona qualify for Champions League last 16 | Business Insider
- Ex-student applies for probation over mac and cheese rant... | Business Insider
- In Mexico, fear as victims vanish at hands of police | Business Insider
- After Trump on 'SNL,' NBC will give time to 4... | Business Insider