Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Despite Being A 'Pet Rock', The Premium For Physical Bullion Is Exploding | ZeroHedge
- The Troubling Decline Of Financial Independence In America | ZeroHedge
- The One Chart The Military-Industrial Complex Is Hoping Mean Reverts | ZeroHedge
- Boeing Tests X-Box-Controlled Laser Cannon | ZeroHedge
- The Dollar: Now What? | ZeroHedge
- Treasury Yields Are Tumbling | ZeroHedge
- Ayn Rand & Murray Rothbard: Diverse Champions Of Liberty | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Django Unchained' actress gets community service | Business Insider
- Here's the brilliant way... | Business Insider
- Greek snap election set for September 20 | Business Insider
- The Latest: Church bells ring to mark Katrina anniversary | Business Insider
- Sheriff's deputy fatally shot in Houston while pumping... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek