Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Frontrunning: September 29 | ZeroHedge
- You Want To Fix The Economy? Then First Fix Healthcare | ZeroHedge
- Wells Fargo To Be Sanctioned By DOJ For Improperly Seizing Soldiers' Cars | ZeroHedge
- Peak Debt Complacency: Carmen "Different This Time" Reinhart Urges Debt Restructuring | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: September 30 | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Soar After French Press "Confirm" Deutsche Bank Near Settlement With DOJ | ZeroHedge
- Why Garbagemen Should Earn More Than Bankers | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Amazon Prime members have access to one of the best smartphone deals out there right now | Business Insider
- A huge hedge fund just settled bribery charges with the feds for $200... | Business Insider
- Daniel Radcliffe says he wanted to play Spider-Man in the upcoming Marvel... | Business Insider
- Unruly passengers are now among the top safety concerns for major airlines | Business Insider
- A top Apple analyst says next year's iPhones will be made out of glass (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Tour Mercedes' $1.7 million luxury yacht that... | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek