Covered Call Picks (ATPG,VXX,FSLR,NFLX,UNG)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|ATPG||ATP Oil & Gas Corporation||7.87||8||0.8||10.70%||Apr-12|
|VXX||iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN||26||27||2.4||9.40%||Apr-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||27.6||28||2.6||9.30%||Apr-12|
|UNG||United States Natural Gas||18.7||19||1.1||6.00%||Apr-12|
ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (ATPG) is currently trading at $7.87. Its 52 week range is between $5.53 and $20.19.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $26.03. Its 52 week range is between $19.88 and $59.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $27.63. Its 52 week range is between $27.5 and $163.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $107.13. Its 52 week range is $62.37 and $304.79.
United States Natural Gas (UNG) is currently trading at $18.66. Its 52 week range is between $18.68 and $50.56.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Japanese Economy Contracts Bigger Than Expected 7.1% in 2nd Quarter | Financial Sense
- High Beta And Yield Celebrate Lehman 6 Year Anniversary By Plunging | ZeroHedge
- Record Beheadings And The Mass Arrest Of Christians – ISIS? Or Saudi Arabia! | ZeroHedge
- Ron Paul Asks "Will The Swiss Vote To Get Their Gold Back?" | ZeroHedge
- Gold - Watch the €1000 Level | Financial Sense
- Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- Today’s Hybrid Movers | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- To Prove How Lousy Canon's Security Is, This Guy Hacked A... | Business Insider
- How I Wrote A 90,000 Word Book Using Evernote From... | Business Insider
- TUI Travel, TUI agree to form tourism leader: companies | Business Insider
- How A Piece Of Advice From Marissa Mayer Shaped This CEO's Career... | Business Insider
- Here's A Complete Preview Of This Week's Big Fed Meeting | Business Insider
- Oil Is Getting Crushed | Business Insider
- France’s Prime Minister Says 'We'll Be F-----' If The Economy... | Business Insider