Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Ultimate Carry Trade: U.S. Banks Buying Treasuries | Financial Sense
- "Real" Stock Volatility In October Highest Since Lehman | ZeroHedge
- Van Hoisington And The Fed's Bubble: "Overtrading" And "Discredit" Always End In "Revulsion" | ZeroHedge
- Summation Index Rate of Change | Financial Sense
- It Will Take 398,879,561 Years To Pay Off The US Government's Debt | ZeroHedge
- When Is A White House Transcript Not A Transcript? | ZeroHedge
- US Manufacturing PMI Tumbles, Biggest Miss In 14 Months | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Billionaires Are Reportedly Paying $4,000 For A Titanium Toothbrush | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot... | StreetInsider.com
- Sweden Is Learning Just How Insanely Difficult It Is To Capture An Enemy... | Business Insider
- An Antarctic Explorer's Notebook Is Discovered After A... | Business Insider
- This Is Twitter's New Plan To Kill The Password (TWTR) | Business Insider
- Apple Rips To A New All-Time High (AAPL) | Business Insider
- It's Not Just The Accounts: Absolutely EVERYTHING Is Going Wrong At Tesco Right Now | Business Insider