Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Obama Weighs "Syria Retreat" As White House Ends Training Of Moderate Rebels | ZeroHedge
- Energy Storage Just Got a Massive Vote of Confidence | Financial Sense
- Milton Friedman Accurately Explains Today’s Immigration Problem | Financial Sense
- This "Unlivable $350,000 Shack" Is The Cheapest Home In San Francisco | ZeroHedge
- The Real Reason Belgium Sold 1,098 Tonnes Of Gold | ZeroHedge
- Canada and the Oil Price Shock | Financial Sense
- Stocks Slide After Fed's Evans Takes October Off Table, Fears China Growth Weakness | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Walking Dead' creator explains his original... | Business Insider
- Etsy is tumbling (ETSY, AMZN) | Business Insider
- AB InBev makes merger appeal to SABMiller shareholders | Business Insider
- Million Man March anniversary inspires memories | Business Insider
- A new focus group explains Ben Carson's appeal in the 2016 race | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- Studies say 1/3 of young men in China to die from smoking | Business Insider