Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Book Review: The Money Bubble (What to Do Before it Pops) - Two Thumbs Up | Financial Sense
- To Celebrate The Bull Market Anniversary, Sbarro Files Second Bankruptcy In Three Years | ZeroHedge
- Hitting Icy Water | iBankCoin.com
- Stocks Close Down Despite Last Hour Buying Panic | ZeroHedge
- Playing the Weakest Link | iBankCoin.com
- How Many Stock Market Top Boxes Have Been Checked? | Financial Sense
- The Iranian "Stolen Passport" Passenger Plot Thickens | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's When You're Depressed, Happy, And Hungover | Business Insider
- This Is An Actual Billboard In Crimea | Business Insider
- You Can Fix A MacBook By Baking It In An Oven Like A Pie | Business Insider
- 696,749 Reasons New Jersey Sided Against Tesla | Business Insider
- 17 Mind-Blowing Facts About Russia | Business Insider
- France's Ex-Prime Minister Earned $138,500 For Just One Day's Work [Report] | Business Insider
- 25 Books That Will Blow Your Mind | Business Insider