Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Will Yellen Shock Today?" | ZeroHedge
- Look Who Is Gutting The First Amendment! | ZeroHedge
- Felix Zulauf Sees Final Leg of the Bull Market | Financial Sense
- Stocks Churn as Earnings & Election Anxiety Grows | Financial Sense
- The Lack Of EpiPen Competitors Is The FDA's Fault | ZeroHedge
- Assange Assassination Attempt? Cops Took 2 Hours To Respond To Embassy Breach | ZeroHedge
- Can Stocks Survive Without Stimulus? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 13 housing markets where it's getting a whole lot harder... | Business Insider
- Wayfair launches virtual reality app (W) | Business Insider
- An undercover inmate reveals her bleak first impression of jail | Business Insider
- Traditional banks may be in trouble due to digital banking | Business Insider
- Netflix releases trailer for documentary about Audrie Pott and... | Business Insider
- We asked some of the smartest minds in finance how Wall... | Business Insider
- US Navy ship fires warning shots after multiple ships '... | Business Insider