Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Put 25% Cash To Work | iBankCoin.com
- Mathematical Precision or Buckshot? | iBankCoin.com
- Spotlight on the Fed | Financial Sense
- Draghi Risks Becoming the Boy Who Cried Wolf Over QE | Financial Sense
- No Fade Today | iBankCoin.com
- Congress Has Guaranteed the Secular Bear Market Is Not Over | Financial Sense
- Deflationary Indicators Yawn at Fed’s Growth Confidence | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 10 Things You Need To Know In Advertising Today | Business Insider
- Politics no problem, say US and Russian spacefarers | Business Insider
- Here's The New Phone BlackBerry Hopes Will Save Its Dying Platform (... | Business Insider
- Sony Just Set A Terrible Precedent, One That Will... | Business Insider
- Aussies Smith, Johnson blast India bowlers to... | Business Insider
- Sony Just Cancelled The Dec. 25 Release Of 'The... | Business Insider
- Asian markets extend gains after Fed statement | Business Insider