Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 20,000 Pakistan Riot Police Unleash Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets As Protesters Breach PM's Residence, 230 Injured | ZeroHedge
- A Few Comments on the Technical Condition of the Dollar | ZeroHedge
- Does France Need A 21st Century Revolution? | ZeroHedge
- The Eurozone Is a Growing Problem for U.S. Economy | Financial Sense
- Movement to Declassify 9/11 Information Gathers Momentum ... 9/11 Commission Chairs and Congressmen Call for Declassification | ZeroHedge
- New Technology Could End the Debate Over Pipeline Safety | Financial Sense
- If Consumers Are So Confident, Then Why Aren't They Spending? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Album Sales In America Just Hit An All-Time Low | Business Insider
- Why Apple Is Launching The iPhone And iWatch At The Same... | Business Insider
- Cramer: Tech Trio Comes Through | TheStreet.com
- Wozniacki knocks Sharapova out of US Open | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- This Photographer Asked Strangers To Touch Each Other, And The Pictures Are... | Business Insider
- 'Disaster Relief Mansions' Are Tearing... | Business Insider