Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Possible Silver U-Turn Report, 7 Feb, 2016 | ZeroHedge
- France Just Enshrined Its "State Of Emergency" In The Constitution | ZeroHedge
- What The Charts Say: "Now Is The Time To Worry" | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: February 9 | ZeroHedge
- Venezuela Prepares To Liquidate Its Remaining Gold Holdings To Pay Coming Debt Maturities | ZeroHedge
- Why We Won’t Have a “Lehman Moment” in the 2016 Crash | Financial Sense
- Utilities Winning By Not Losing | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'El Chapo' Guzmán is willing to plead guilty in the US, but under one... | Business Insider
- Here's the version of that SoFi Super Bowl ad you didn't see — it was... | Business Insider
- Beyoncé almost fell during the Super Bowl halftime show — but... | Business Insider
- Twitter just hit a new all-time low (TWTR) | Business Insider
- North Korea's space agency's logo means nothing — literally | Business Insider
- Violence is up in Mexico, and it’s drawing an ominous comparison | Business Insider
- Ferrari's new GTC4 Lusso has supercar power — and room for the whole family (RACE... | Business Insider