Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Margin Calls Mount On Loans Against Stock Portfolios Used To Buy Homes, Boats, "Pretty Much Everything" | ZeroHedge
- Denver Police Arrest "Jury Nullification" Activist For Passing Out Informational Pamphlets | ZeroHedge
- VIX ETF Surges After Serious Short Squeeze For 5th Day In A Row | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: August 27 | ZeroHedge
- What China's Treasury Liquidation Means: $1 Trillion QE In Reverse | ZeroHedge
- The Fed's Hands Are Tied Unless an Complete Meltdown Hits | ZeroHedge
- Behold: A Chinese Liquidity Crunch | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 20 best things to do in Hawaii | Business Insider
- Stereophonics stay true to their roots with new album | Business Insider
- Lawyer: Former franchisee alerted Subway about Fogle | Business Insider
- Sean Hayes to be divine in 'An Act of God' in Los... | Business Insider
- Why one university is trying to get Merriam-... | Business Insider
- Gay, straight couples say 'I do' to Justice Kennedy... | Business Insider
- Why Abercrombie's soaring shares are deceptive | Business Insider