Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "It's A Coup D'Etat," David Stockman Warns "Central Banks Are Out Of Control" | ZeroHedge
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Increased Again in April | Financial Sense
- Housing Data Rebounds; Walmart Disappoints | Financial Sense
- Cold War 2.0: Visualizing All Recent "Close Encounters" Between Russian And NATO Warplanes | ZeroHedge
- Arab Spring 2.0: Wahhabis Go Nuclear | ZeroHedge
- We Have Entered The Mania Phase: Market Complacency Has Never Been Higher | ZeroHedge
- McDonalds Responds To Minimum Wage Protests | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Millennials have a clear favorite when asked which tech company is their 'ideal... | Business Insider
- Here’s what happened when a young attractive couple was given a makeover to see what... | Business Insider
- Poles to vote in presidential cliffhanger | Business Insider
- The only 3 knives you need in your kitchen | Business Insider
- UNBOXED: The 18-karat gold Apple Watch Edition (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Watch this guy attempt to eat 9,000 calories in one sitting for this over-the-top... | Business Insider
- Greeks back government's red lines, but want to keep... | Business Insider