Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why We're Poorer: Inflation And Deflation Are Now Globalized | ZeroHedge
- Every Penny Counts | iBankCoin.com
- Why China’s Slowdown Is Taking a Heavy Toll on Canada | Financial Sense
- In Cased You Missed it, Recap of Japan Overnight Into Halloween | iBankCoin.com
- Added To CCJ For $17.30 | iBankCoin.com
- Potential Intraday Runners | iBankCoin.com
- Investors Intelligence: Initiation of Strong New Uptrend | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- With Rose blooming, Bulls open NBA season with emphatic... | Business Insider
- A Hedge Fund Manager Vanished After Credit Suisse Accidentally Wired Him $1.5 Million... | Business Insider
- Sweden Formally Recognized Palestine — And Israel Responded With A Joke About IKEA | Business Insider
- The Royals Explain Why They Didn't Go For The Inside-The-Park Home Run In The Bottom Of The... | Business Insider
- Watch How These Cancer Patients Reacted To Their Hilariously Awful... | Business Insider
- Royal Bank of Scotland sets aside £400m for forex probes | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek