Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US Releases Satellite Images Allegedly Proving Russian Shelling Of East Ukraine | ZeroHedge
- Measuring How Much Poorly Thought Out Regulation Hurts The US Consumer? | ZeroHedge
- World Oil Production – Where Are We Headed? | Financial Sense
- Earnings Recovery? Europe Would Love Some Of That | ZeroHedge
- 2 Year Paper Prices At Highest Yield Since May 2011; Directs Tumble, Dealers Surge | ZeroHedge
- Monday Humor: What "The Smartest People In The Room" Are Thinking | ZeroHedge
- "London Fix" Gold Rigging By Bullion Bank Exposed In Class Action Lawsuit: The Complete Charts | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Storm Chaser Mike Hollingshead Reveals His 16 Most Incredible Photos | Business Insider
- HAMAS LEADER: We Have No Current Plans To 'Coexist' With... | Business Insider
- Dollar Tree Buying Family Dollar Could Be Bad News For Coca-Cola And Clorox | Business Insider
- Watch The Amazing 'Game Of Thrones' Season 4 Gag Reel Revealed At Comic-Con... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- This Concept Bicycle Could Fit Inside A Backpack | Business Insider
- Fans Are Saying The New Wonder Woman Costume Looks A Lot Like Xena: Warrior Princess | Business Insider