Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trump Lays Out His Plan For First 100 Days In Office: Here Are The Highlights | ZeroHedge
- Third Wave Of Internet Cyber Attacks Lauched, Dyn Warns | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: October 21 | ZeroHedge
- Wikileaks Releases Part 14 Of Podesta Emails Bringing Total To 25,000; Exposes Soros' Contact Info | ZeroHedge
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Increased in September | Financial Sense
- Goldman CEO Blankfein "Supportive" Of Hillary But "Doesn't Want To Hurt Her" By Endorsing | ZeroHedge
- In Financial Markets "Be Like Water" (Video) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- ISIS launched a major counter-attack on Kirkuk to distract Iraqi troops... | Business Insider
- Investment banks to mattresses: Here are 13 companies... | Business Insider
- Credit Suisse traders are prepping one of the biggest hedge fund launches this year | Business Insider
- Donald Trump made a noticeable shift in rhetoric on his plans for a border wall | Business Insider
- The master key to understanding the IoT Revolution | Business Insider
- Everything you wanted to know about chatbots but were... | Business Insider