Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Obama Steps In To Defend Hillary: DOJ Fights To Block Clinton Deposition | ZeroHedge
- UK To Stockpile Tanks, Heavy Equipment Close To Russia's Border | ZeroHedge
- Market Recap May 27, 2016 | FundMyMutualFund
- "Greed & Fear Are Great Teachers" Black Swan Author Tells Graduates "Always Have Skin In The Game" | ZeroHedge
- Here's Why All Pension Funds Are Doomed, Doomed, Doomed | Financial Sense
- The Source of Failure: We Optimize What We Measure | ZeroHedge
- Should Britain Leave the EU? Two Analysts Debate | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- It sounds like a dispute is taking place at the highest... | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Apple's plan to dominate apps is wildly successful even though it... | Business Insider
- You can get a pair of iconic, American-made dress shoes at a major... | Business Insider
- KFC is planning an unprecedented restaurant makeover — here's a sneak peek | Business Insider
- Latin America's top... | Business Insider
- Customer service experiences are more... | Business Insider