Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Argentina Debt "Mediation" Goes Surreal As Neither Side Turns Up For Meeting, Black-Market Peso Tumbles | ZeroHedge
- Why "The US Should Have Already Panicked," The Sectarian Divide Mapped Out | ZeroHedge
- Russia To Ban Several McDonalds Burgers Including Royal And Filet-O-Fish | ZeroHedge
- Five Stocks and Six Warren Buffett Quotes | iBankCoin.com
- Bill "What Rosy Jobs Numbers?" Simon Is Out At Walmart | ZeroHedge
- A Face Made For Punching | iBankCoin.com
- The Rot Within, Part II: Inflation Is Not "Growth" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Google's Vint Cerf: The US Will No Longer Be The Internet's... | Business Insider
- Facebook's Stock Is Going Crazy This Morning (FB) | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Starbucks Earnings Beat By A Penny (SBUX) | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- A Cardinals Catcher Used Matthew McConaughey's Chest-Thump Hum From 'Wolf... | Business Insider
- Biotech Giant Blows Away Expectations After Selling $3.5 Billion Of Its '... | Business Insider