Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Russia Is Taking Full Advantage Of Greek Crisis | ZeroHedge
- "Greece Is Coming To Your Neighborhood" Marc Faber Warns | ZeroHedge
- Greece Set To Restart Negotiations, IMF "Ready To Assist" Greece, Lagarde Says | ZeroHedge
- Major Market Events Take Shape | Financial Sense
- A Most Hideous Decline | iBankCoin.com
- The Fed's Window For Hiking Rates Continues To Close | ZeroHedge
- Greferendum Results In Landslide "No" Victory | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Thousands greet pope at start of South American trip | Business Insider
- We're spending a lot more time in our favorite apps, but... | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Here comes JOLTS ... (DIA, SPX, SPY, QQQ, TLT, IWM) | Business Insider
- Greek FM Varoufakis resigns | Business Insider
- Mitchell Johnson "as fast as ever", says Clarke | Business Insider
- This one quote reveals the ridiculous reason why your... | Business Insider