Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Denzel Washington Slams Mainstream Media For Peddling "Bullshit" | ZeroHedge
- Hope and Caution | Financial Sense
- China Newspapers Blast "Diplomatic Rookie" Trump For "Inability To Keep His Mouth Shut" | ZeroHedge
- Can Italy Be Saved? | Financial Sense
- ECB Stuns Markets, Announces Tapering Of Bond Purchases To €60 Billion | ZeroHedge
- Saudi Journalist Banned From Media After Criticizing Trump | ZeroHedge
- Something's Wrong | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's why your iPhone has a tiny hole next to the camera | Business Insider
- Chinese media is pushing for more nuclear arms to... | Business Insider
- 'Hairspray Live!' hit a new ratings low for NBC's musicals | Business Insider
- Rioters in Greece are attacking police with Molotov cocktails | Business Insider
- 'El Chapo' Guzmán's henchmen were able to build not one, but 2... | Business Insider
- Michael Jordan just won a landmark case over... | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek