Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Swiss Bank Hits Customers With Negative Interest Rates; Crazy? What About Velocity? | Financial Sense
- An Angry Trader Rages: "There Is Nothing Normal About It" | ZeroHedge
- Bush Vs. Obama - The Cartoon | ZeroHedge
- Black Friday Total Sales Crash 10% (Despite Rise In Online Spend) | ZeroHedge
- Half A Million Square Kilometers Of Heavy Smog Force Beijing To Issue "Orange Alert", Close Factories | ZeroHedge
- Market Panics After Arrest Of Brazilian Lawmaker: "Never Have We Had So Little Certainty About Tomorrow" | ZeroHedge
- Internal Bleeding, Cheap Tech, And Falling Angels | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Turkey says pilot's body to be flown back to Russia | Business Insider
- Change in Thanksgiving weekend spending stumps retailers | Business Insider
- Climate change and conflict, a perfect storm | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (AMZN,... | Business Insider
- Russian oil tanker grounded in north Pacific | Business Insider
- New York state adding $200M more to $2.5B fight against... | Business Insider
- Here's why those three cars in China suddenly started levitating | Business Insider