Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Federal Reserve Has Declared The Winner In The Generational Financial War | ZeroHedge
- Central Banks and Economic Reports Keep Bull Market Alive | Financial Sense
- Syriza’s Victory Is Not the End but the Beginning | Financial Sense
- Repeat After Us: "Correlation Isn't Causation" | ZeroHedge
- Ekloges 2015: Greece Votes In Historic For Europe Election | ZeroHedge
- Energy Stocks: Where’s the Bottom? | Financial Sense
- ECB Preview: FAQ | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider
- A Massive Blizzard Is Headed Toward... | Business Insider
- GOOGLE BOSS: ‘The Internet Will Disappear’ | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Modi, Obama announce nuclear breakthrough after talks | Business Insider
- Seventy years on, a 'Soviet' liberator of... | Business Insider
- Republicans Say 'Incompetent' Democrats Are Blowing It In A... | Business Insider