Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Speech Bounce: Trump "Nearly Even" With Clinton In Latest Reuters Poll | ZeroHedge
- Stoeferle: Helicopter Money Coming and It Will Boost Gold Market to New Highs | Financial Sense
- US Shale Industry Is Painfully Adapting to Low Oil Prices | Financial Sense
- Oil Rally Hopes Crushed as Inventories Hit All-Time High | Financial Sense
- Q3 EPS Expectations Just Turned Negative: Six Consecutive Quarters Of Declining Earnings | ZeroHedge
- Gold In Bull Market – "Every Reason For It To Continue" - Frisby In Money Week | ZeroHedge
- "Billionaires For Billary": Mike Bloomberg Will Endorse Hillary | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 8 reasons living in a city is terrible for you | Business Insider
- DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz will resign after the Democratic... | Business Insider
- It’s a great time for most people to buy a game... | Business Insider
- 10 things you need to know before the opening bell (spy, spx, qqq, dia, yhoo, vz, giii) | Business Insider
- 3 characteristics the most persuasive speeches share | Business Insider
- The Native Ad Report: Revenue forecasts and top drivers | Business Insider
- 5 ways being attractive affects your professional success | Business Insider