Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 15 Warning Signs of Possible Market Top, Recession Next Year | Financial Sense
- From Dollar Daze to Dollar Days | Financial Sense
- The Oligarchy Is Tottering - Trump Tramples The Neocons' "False Song Of Globalism" | ZeroHedge
- Bloomberg UNMASKED - The Truth about ZH from Forex perspective | ZeroHedge
- Apple Runs Afoul of China’s Changing Internet | Financial Sense
- The SHOCKING Inside Scoop On Being a Guest Writer At Zero Hedge | ZeroHedge
- Podcast: Quantum Computing Takes Flight | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Pro-Trump bikers and truckers are... | Business Insider
- These are the alcohols that should be refrigerated — and why | Business Insider
- Donald Trump has pivoted — it's just not the pivot you were looking for | Business Insider
- Faraday Future's business partner wants to dominate Silicon... | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- 15 of the healthiest fast-food menu items | Business Insider
- The startup that turned learning languages into a game is trying to... | Business Insider