Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China To The Rescue: Global Equity Market Rebound After Latest Chinese Easing | ZeroHedge
- Stop The Presses: Nobel-Prize Winning Economist Slams QE | ZeroHedge
- Charts For Tuesday | iBankCoin.com
- US Equity Open Sparks Panic Buying In Crude & Stocks | ZeroHedge
- King Dollar Hurting Earnings! | Financial Sense
- North Carolina Man's Obituary "Respectfully Asks That You Not Vote For Hillary In 2016" | ZeroHedge
- TIS A Sore Point On An Otherwise Clean Day | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- US futures are bouncing back (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- Altice wins EU greenlight on Portugal Telecom buy-up | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Why this woman turned down a fabulous job at Google | Business Insider
- Greece uneasy as trial opens for neo-Nazi Golden Dawn | Business Insider
- South Korea to punish firms who bowed to North's... | Business Insider
- Jon Stewart explains why he's leaving 'the most perfect job in the... | Business Insider