Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bubble Finance And A Tale Of Two Spheres | ZeroHedge
- IMF Reiterates Greece Disqualified for Bailout, Participation Depends on Debt Relief and Reforms | Financial Sense
- The 2016 "Dream" Ticket | ZeroHedge
- Head Of Collapsed Mt.Gox Exchange Arrested With Half A Billion In Bitcoin Still Unaccounted | ZeroHedge
- The Fed's Circular Logic Exposed In 1 Simple Chart | ZeroHedge
- Monsters Of Ukraine: Made In The USA | ZeroHedge
- Are We Being Forced Into A "Second American Civil War"… If So, Who Will Win? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What 16 Twitter analysts are saying about the depressing outlook and... | Business Insider
- The e-cig frenzy is over (PM, LO, RAI) | Business Insider
- Here's how Derek Jeter tries to keep his private life... | Business Insider
- If you're a balding guy, here's one simple rule you need to know | Business Insider
- Kerry to meet Egypt's Sisi to relaunch strategic talks | Business Insider
- A waffle maker can teach you an important lesson about being happy | Business Insider
- Triple Crown king Pharoah still reigns | Business Insider