Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Europe Unveils New Gun Laws: "Like Putting A Band-Aid On A Bullet Wound" | ZeroHedge
- John Murphy on Intermarket Analysis and the Sequence of Market Peaks | Financial Sense
- Is Twitter Now Censoring Drudge Report? | ZeroHedge
- Gold Bullion Coin Worth $4 Million, Stolen in Berlin Museum Heist | ZeroHedge
- Elon Musk Is About To Turn Us All Into Spacefaring Cyborgs With Neuralink | ZeroHedge
- Another DHS “Exercise” Planned: The Risk of Terrorism Drills Becoming Reality | ZeroHedge
- Foundation - Fall Of The American Galactic Empire | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Fashion mogul Chris Burch built a five-star resort on a... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Jimmy Fallon mocks Trump's healthcare fail with potential new book... | Business Insider
- The statue of the 'Fearless Girl' will stare down the Wall... | Business Insider
- Chrissy Teigen fires away at Fox News: 'Words cannot explain how much... | Business Insider
- China is building a new base in Africa that creates 'significant operational... | Business Insider
- 26 fascinating things you never knew about Queen Elizabeth II | Business Insider