Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Milo Yiannopoulos' Book Deal Canceled By Simon & Schuster | ZeroHedge
- About Those "Overly Optimistic" Trump GDP Forecasts, There's Just One Thing | ZeroHedge
- Sales and Earnings Back At Highs, But So Are Valuations | Financial Sense
- Fukushima Aborts Latest Robot Mission Inside Reactor; Radiation At "Unimaginable" Levels | ZeroHedge
- US Aircraft Carrier Group Begins "Routine" Patrols In Disputed South China Sea | ZeroHedge
- A Chink of Light into London’s Gold Vaults | ZeroHedge
- Weekly Market Recap Feb 19, 2017 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Italy's Renzi resigns as party chief | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- CALLED OFF: Kraft Heinz is killing its plan to merge with Unilever — just 2 days... | Business Insider
- Marine Le Pen is taking her first meeting with a foreign head of... | Business Insider
- This little-known Amazon service turns stuff you want to get rid of into store credit... | Business Insider
- Why you should date your best friend | Business Insider
- The US is going after the highest-profile Venezuelan target yet —... | Business Insider