Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Night Owl Open Forum | iBankCoin.com
- Precious Metals Liquidated To Make Room For Alibaba, Silver At Four-Year Lows | ZeroHedge
- 3 Things Worth Thinking About | ZeroHedge
- Why Global Growth Is So Disappointing | ZeroHedge
- The Origins and Implications of the Scottish Referendum | Financial Sense
- Meanwhile, In Front Of Apple Stores In New York And Around The World... | ZeroHedge
- Last Stand Approaching for Gold | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Trading Radar for 9/19: Natuzzi (NTZ) Reports | StreetInsider.com
- 10 Awesome Cases For Your New iPhone 6 | Business Insider
- 24 Hours With The iPhone 6 (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Western militaries scramble to aid Ebola-hit west Africa | Business Insider
- CAMERON SPEAKS: The Scottish Referendum Just Transformed UK... | Business Insider
- Facebook-Owned Oculus Just Unveiled Its Latest Virtual... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek