Covered Call Picks (BBRY,VXX,VRTX,ZNGA,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.25. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
iPath S&P 500 VIX ST Futures ETN (VXX) is currently trading at $23.27. Its 52 week range is between $20.97 and $105.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc (VRTX) is currently trading at $46.97. Its 52 week range is between $35.26 and $66.1.
Zynga Inc (ZNGA) is currently trading at $3.52. Its 52 week range is between $2.09 and $15.91.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.32. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $197.62.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Brexit Leaves Markets in Upheaval | Financial Sense
- "See EU Later" - On The Front Covers Of UK Newspapers Today | ZeroHedge
- Nomura Warns "Do Not Underestimate The Global Contagion" From Brexit | ZeroHedge
- Charts: MASSIVE Speculative Bets on Gold - Bremain Vote Could Lead to Major Selloff | Financial Sense
- Biometric Technology, "Brainprints", and the Death of the Password | Financial Sense
- The $555 Trillion Derivatives Debt Implosion Is About to Begin | ZeroHedge
- The Real Brexit "Catastrophe": World's 400 Richest People Lose $127 Billion | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What the subway looks like in 13 different countries around the... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Deadly California wildfire destroys at least 150 homes | Business Insider
- Understand the payments industry in one hour with this report | Business Insider
- These pictures show what happened after the UK's stunning vote to leave the EU | Business Insider
- I drove the $90,000 sport sedan Lexus built to challenge the BMW M5 | Business Insider
- How 'Game of Thrones' will be affected by Brexit | Business Insider