Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Q2 Earnings Show Improvement Over Prior Quarters | Financial Sense
- Phantom Liquidity and Perfect Pilfering | Financial Sense
- Split Times at Mr. Market’s High | iBankCoin.com
- Can Germany Carry Europe’s Weight In The Next Financial Crisis? | ZeroHedge
- Escaping The Rat-Race | ZeroHedge
- China Expands Live-Fire Gulf Of Tonkin Drill; Warns Of Massive Flight Disruptions | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap July 24, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- Samsung Plans To Hire 'Like Crazy’ In Silicon Valley To Find The ‘Next Big Thing... | Business Insider
- Second Black Box Found At Air Algerie Crash Site | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- General Motors and Exxon Downgraded, Under Armour Raised at UBS | TheStreet.com
- 9 Surprising Facts About Retail Giant Wal-Mart | Business Insider
- People In New York City And The Midwest Aren't Very Happy | Business Insider