Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Actionable Trading Ideas | iBankCoin.com
- The Inconvenient Truths Of Dictators | ZeroHedge
- Why the Debate Over U.S. LNG Exports Has Been Won | Financial Sense
- OPEC Hints It May Act to Stop Oil Price Slide | Financial Sense
- Ukraine Introduces Capital Controls | ZeroHedge
- Losing the Battleship | iBankCoin.com
- We Are Living In A State Of Keynesian "Bliss" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Thousands of Hong Kong students on strike for democracy | Business Insider
- Herbalife Shares Crashed On Monday (HLF) | Business Insider
- Report: Apple's New MacBook Air Will Be 'Noticeably Thinner... | Business Insider
- 11 Reasons People Are Obsessed With Shake Shack | Business Insider
- NATO warns on Ukraine truce as fighters set to pull back | Business Insider
- DUDLEY: 'I'd Like To Raise Interest Rates At Some Point During... | Business Insider
- The 11 Most Interesting Works On The Air Force Reading List | Business Insider