Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Presenting De-Dollarization In One Simple Map | ZeroHedge
- Saturday Cinema with Le Fly: Blue Jasmine | iBankCoin.com
- A Plot To Hold Down Oil Prices Or Just A Happy Coincidence? | ZeroHedge
- Cybersecurity Companies in the "Military-Internet Complex" | Financial Sense
- Yes, Colombia! | ZeroHedge
- The 7.5 Year Itch Starts Next Week | ZeroHedge
- Raising Independent-Minded Children In America Is Tough | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The new show all of Wall Street is talking about has another huge guest coming | Business Insider
- Here's how rich you'd be if you started buying the Nasdaq at the top of the tech... | Business Insider
- Human rights record not overshadowing European Games... | Business Insider
- We gave kids a rotary phone for the first time — and here's what they did | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- MICHAEL LEWIS: The 'Flash Crash' trader's... | Business Insider
- The 20 best apps for your new Apple Watch (AAPL) | Business Insider