Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Will The Fed Have To Save Emerging Markets With QE4? | ZeroHedge
- Financial Fridays: How To Deal With A Big Boss | Altucher Confidential
- In Risky Move, Riksbank Holds Rates But Warns Will Cut If ECB Boosts QE | ZeroHedge
- Flashpoint: White House Confirms Russian Presence In Syria, Warns It Is "Destabilizing" | ZeroHedge
- This is Literally Your Only Shot at Success | iBankCoin.com
- What Happens After A Crash? | ZeroHedge
- End Of Cheap Fossil Fuels Could Have More Severe Consequences Than Thought | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Reddit 'gold' raises surprisingly little money for the company | Business Insider
- 1st of Tanzanian albino kids with missing limbs goes home... | Business Insider
- Twitter shares are surging ahead of a board meeting to discuss its CEO situation (TWTR... | Business Insider
- 15 facts about New York City that will make you think twice about whether you can afford... | Business Insider
- NFL quarterback Brady's four-game ban quashed,... | Business Insider
- Thais unveil restored statue at bomb site to boost morale... | Business Insider
- Column: Closed cockpits in Formula One? Not so fast | Business Insider