Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "As Goes Apple, So Goes America" - Apple To Replace AT&T In The Dow | ZeroHedge
- Fearing the Machine: AI vs. Cybernetics | Financial Sense
- Consumer Credit Rises At Slowest Pace Since 2013 (But Still Exponential), Revolving Credit Tumbles | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap Mar 4, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- The One Chart You Need To Predict The Future | ZeroHedge
- "Chinese Economic Activity Has Probably Slowed To Less Than 3%" | ZeroHedge
- Jim Puplava on U.S. Recession, Fed Rate Hikes, and Short-Term Correction | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Asia has a new growth star as China makes its slowdown official | Business Insider
- 9 successful people share the toughest lessons they learned at their first jobs | Business Insider
- Russia, Germany urge OSCE to double Ukraine observers... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- NCAA suspends Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim for 9 games | Business Insider
- Two former Bank of America wealth management trainees are suing the bank for... | Business Insider
- Athleticwear companies are going after these 3 types of people | Business Insider