Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Martin Armstrong: Foreign Capital Flows Could Drive US Markets Significantly Higher | Financial Sense
- Teachers' Retirement Funds Are Piling Into Manhattan Real Estate At Record High Prices | ZeroHedge
- S&P Gives Up AAPL-Bounce Gains, Dow Negative Post-QE3 | ZeroHedge
- New Position(s) On The Books | iBankCoin.com
- US Inflation Expectations Hit Post-Lehman Lows Ahead Of FOMC | ZeroHedge
- US-Ally Jordan To Breach Western Protocol, Will Exchange Hostages With ISIS | ZeroHedge
- Fired Before Hired: How Corporations Rigged The Job Market And Killed The American Dream | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What It's Like To Ride 'The Train Of Death... | Business Insider
- Georgia's Most Recent Execution May Have Violated The US... | Business Insider
- 3 Biggest Takeaways From Alibaba's Third-Quarter Earnings Report | TheStreet.com
- Facebook Crushes Q4 Earnings (FB) | Business Insider
- Actor Ed Burns Is Obsessed With Taking Pictures Of His Model Wife... | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- MAP: Here Are The 43 Tesco Stores That Will Be Shut Down To Cut Costs | Business Insider