Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Washington's "Fifth Columns" Inside Russia And China | ZeroHedge
- When China Stopped Acting Chinese | Financial Sense
- AAPL Stock Tests Key Technical Level For First Time Since 2013 | ZeroHedge
- Is This The Most Successful Trade Of The Last Decade? | ZeroHedge
- Conditions in the US Are Improving, Not Deteriorating | Financial Sense
- As China Admits It Lied About Its Local Debt Levels, Local Billionaires Are Quietly Liquidating Their Assets | ZeroHedge
- VIX ETF Surges Off Record Low Crushing Contango Cruisers | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- College freshmen are using Facebook to post the most... | Business Insider
- Some Americans refuse to give up on Confederate flag | Business Insider
- Amy Schumer just made an emotional statement about standing up for what you... | Business Insider
- FIFA boss Blatter gives up International Olympic... | Business Insider
- 6 ways 50 Cent says he tricked the world into believing he was rich | Business Insider
- Construction spending barely budged in June | Business Insider
- Here’s what it will look like when all the planets in our solar... | Business Insider