Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Fourth Turning – An Interview With Neil Howe | ZeroHedge
- Government Trolls Are Using "Psychology-Based Influence Techniques" On YouTube, Facebook And Twitter | ZeroHedge
- Recession vs. Wealth Inequality | Financial Sense
- Is This Why 'Europe' Is Now Trying To Crush Greece? | ZeroHedge
- Jobs Jolt Sparks Bond Bid; Stocks Skid As "Day Of Greckoning" Looms | ZeroHedge
- The "Smartest Money" Is Liquidating Stocks At A Record Pace: "Selling Everything That’s Not Bolted Down" | ZeroHedge
- Have the Saudis Miscalculated the Impact of Lower Crude Prices on US Production? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Photos of Greece's colossal shipping port show you why... | Business Insider
- Here's what the first Blackberry to run on... | Business Insider
- China's slowdown is bad news for the world's big industrial exporters | Business Insider
- Apple is going to solve one of the biggest problems with the Apple Watch — battery... | Business Insider
- The fascinating scientific reason this celebrity's Instagram photo just... | Business Insider
- The South China Sea is now a 'core interest' of Beijing — and that... | Business Insider
- Solar Impulse 2 pilot becomes aviation legend | Business Insider