Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Executive Sweet? | Financial Sense
- What The Bulls Must Believe | ZeroHedge
- The Eurozone’s Economy Could Surprise to the Upside | Financial Sense
- Gold And The Fiat End-Game | ZeroHedge
- What 9 Company Hedge Books Are Revealing About The Natural Gas Market | ZeroHedge
- The Hibachi Knife Cuts Both Ways | iBankCoin.com
- Dollar Indices: Research Rubbish? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Apple: Keep Tim Cook's Feet to the Fire | TheStreet.com
- A Day In The Life Of A Tumblr Employee Is Pretty Enviable | Business Insider
- What It's Like To Be Christian, Gay And Celibate | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.... | StreetInsider.com
- Australia Got Clobbered This Week | Business Insider
- Bridge Collapses In Washington State — Vehicles Thrown Into The Water | Business Insider
- Another Electric Car Company Is Going Bankrupt | Business Insider