Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Now It's Our Turn" - Geert Wilders Calls For A Dutch Referendum | ZeroHedge
- Brexit: What to Expect After the EU-UK Membership Vote | Financial Sense
- How To Defuse A Rabid Anti-Trumper | ZeroHedge
- No June Swoon, Bye Bye in July? | Financial Sense
- Synthetic Biology - Using Machines to Reprogram DNA | Financial Sense
- "Worse Than Lehman" - European Bank Bloodbath Sparks Dollar Funding Crisis | ZeroHedge
- Germany Says "We Won't Let Anyone Take Europe From Us" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- THE EVERYTHING SHIPPER: Amazon and the new age of delivery (... | Business Insider
- TRUMP: The collapse of the pound means more people will come to my golf course | Business Insider
- 'These are not allies': The most potent force fighting ISIS in Iraq... | Business Insider
- Why critics are calling 'Independence Day: Resurgence' an epic disaster | Business Insider
- iCloud is finally getting better (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Vice Media makes aggressive international push | Business Insider
- Even Beijing isn't sure what it is trying to achieve in the South China Sea | Business Insider