Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- STTG Market Recap December 6, 2013 | FundMyMutualFund
- Bubbles, Bubbles Everywhere | Financial Sense
- The Fed Turns 100: A Survey of the Critics | ZeroHedge
- Great Graphic: Eurozone Output PMI and GDP | Financial Sense
- The Midas Formula | iBankCoin.com
- Hugh Hendry Throws In The Bearish Towel: His Full Must-Read Letter | ZeroHedge
- The Time to Be Bearish Is When Breadth Is Weak, Which Clearly Isn’t Now | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ICE FRIDAY: America is Insanely Cold Right Now | Business Insider
- Al Qaeda-Linked Group Claims... | Business Insider
- QUIZ: Guess The Biggest Movies Of The Year By Their Taglines | Business Insider
- US Coast Guard Rescues Fisherman Stranded Off Long Island | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Today's Dead Cat Bounce Stock: Rite Aid Corporation (RAD) | TheStreet.com
- Pre-Open... | StreetInsider.com