Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Exceptional" America Is Number 1 Again | ZeroHedge
- Chart of the Day: Nonfarm Payrolls and Bank Tightening | Financial Sense
- What Kind of Power Will China Become? | Financial Sense
- Complete and Utter Scam: Oil Prices | ZeroHedge
- Selling Pressure Wanes But Credit Markets Still Troubling | Financial Sense
- Why Most Investors Hate Gold | ZeroHedge
- Paul Craig Roberts: Are Americans Too Insouciant To Survive? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A 'secret apartment' was just discovered in the Berlin... | Business Insider
- The reason it took over a decade to make 'Deadpool' boils down to one... | Business Insider
- Here's what happened to Zappos' HR boss when the company... | Business Insider
- This underrated Android feature crushes the iPhone in one key area (GOOG) | Business Insider
- 17 science-backed ways men can appear more attractive to women | Business Insider
- Can you find the panda in this optical illusion? | Business Insider
- Donald Trump is about to get hit by a barrage of attack ads | Business Insider