Covered Call Picks (JCP,GRPN,DDD,BBRY,SD)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||21.6||22||1.7||7.90%||March 2013|
|GRPN||Groupon Inc||5.8||6||0.5||7.90%||March 2013|
|DDD||3D Systems Corp||54.9||55||4.3||7.80%||March 2013|
|BBRY||Research In Motion Ltd||13.9||14||1.1||7.60%||March 2013|
|SD||SandRidge Energy Inc||5.88||6||0.4||6.10%||March 2013|
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.55. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $42.05.
Groupon Inc (GRPN) is currently trading at $5.8. Its 52 week range is between $2.6 and $20.5.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $54.89. Its 52 week range is between $20.5 and $71.98.
Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) is currently trading at $13.88. Its 52 week range is between $6.22 and $18.32.
SandRidge Energy Inc (SD) is currently trading at $5.88. Its 52 week range is between $4.81 and $8.98.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Hong Kong Chief: Can't Have Democracy Or The Poor Will Have A Say | ZeroHedge
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- Wall Street Is One Sick Puppy - Thanks To Even Sicker Central Banks | ZeroHedge
- Coke Blows Up Guidance, Is Latest Consumer Bellwether And Buffett Favorite To Disappoint, Stock Stumbles | ZeroHedge
- Is This Why Stocks Closed Not "Off The Lows"? | ZeroHedge
- Summation Index Rate of Change | Financial Sense
- Five Stocks Ready for Battle Today | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Apple And IBM Hope To Change The Way People Work, Starting Next Month (AAPL, IBM) | Business Insider
- Facebook Billionaire Sean Parker Is Building An... | Business Insider
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider
- CHART OF THE DAY: Yahoo's Struggle To Find Real Growth (YHOO... | Business Insider
- Mortgage Company Ocwen Financial Is Crashing After New York... | Business Insider
- Beating Madrid matters more than Liga record, Messi says | Business Insider
- Stock Market Today: Markets Tumble Into Close on Oil Inventory, Canadian Shooting | TheStreet.com