Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ackman, Berkowitz Slammed After Fannie Mae Plunges 60% On Court Ruling | ZeroHedge
- Presenting ISIS-Beating "Mad Max" Battle Tanks And Buses | ZeroHedge
- Hilsenrath Asks "Does Ben Bernanke Deserve A Nobel Prize?" | ZeroHedge
- Recovery? 60% Of Greeks Live At Or Below Poverty Levels | ZeroHedge
- Short-Term Bottom Likely In, But Tread Carefully as Bearish Divergences Abound | Financial Sense
- Venezuela's "21st Century Socialism": Food Lines For The People, New Cars For The Military | ZeroHedge
- Manufacturing Runs | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China And The US Are In A Race To Develop The World's First Aircraft... | Business Insider
- Encana Purchase of Athlon Shows Strength of Oil, Weakness of Gas | TheStreet.com
- BREMMER: 'We’re Likely To See Violence' If... | Business Insider
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know Today (ORCL, MSFT, EBAY) | Business Insider
- EU keeps Russia sanctions over Ukraine in place | Business Insider
- We Now Know Nearly Everything About Google's Giant New Smartphone: The... | Business Insider
- 'Modern Family' Editor Live-Tweets Plane Passenger... | Business Insider