Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- More Sellers Than Buyers | iBankCoin.com
- Previewing Tomorrow's 'Anti-Goldilocks' Payrolls Data | ZeroHedge
- BLS Jobs Report Perfect for Goldilocks | Financial Sense
- The Four Biggest Threats to this Bull Market | Financial Sense
- Futures Tumble Again On Global Equity Weakness | ZeroHedge
- A Scary Valuation Indicator | Financial Sense
- Alphabet Soup: GDP, ECB, QE and Q2 | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know This Morning (AAPL, GOOG,... | Business Insider
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Yes, Stocks Could Drop 50% | Business Insider
- The Fed Is Taking A Huge Risk By Cherry-Picking Indicators | Business Insider
- 3D Systems Shares Are Cratering (DDD) | Business Insider
- A Russian Leader Just Started A Ridiculous Twitter Beef With Obama | Business Insider
- There's A Big Rumor Going Around About How Argentina Can Be Rescued | Business Insider