Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Ultimate Cheat Sheet For Investing All of Your Money | Altucher Confidential
- Eight Energy Myths Explained | ZeroHedge
- This Is How Empires Collapse | ZeroHedge
- The Chinese Housing Ponzi Exposed: "As We Sell Our First Apartments, We’ll Have Cash Flow To Build The Next Stage" | ZeroHedge
- A Big Earnings Week Ahead | Financial Sense
- Mugabe Considers Revival Of "Hyperinflated" Zimbabwe Dollar | ZeroHedge
- Ackman Promised Former Herbalife Employer $3.6 Million To Become Whistleblower | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Microsoft Reports Earnings, Everything Is Right In Line (MSFT) | Business Insider
- Here's What 'Snowden-Putin Truthers' Believe | Business Insider
- The 11 Most Powerful Militaries In The World | Business Insider
- Greenpeace Tells Obama To Make 'More Responsible' Food Choices After Meal At... | Business Insider
- Europe Is On The Rise | Business Insider
- Apple Preparing to Crush Competition Again | TheStreet.com
- The 10 Destinations Americans Dream About Visiting | Business Insider