Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- G7 GDP Growth Before and After Crisis | Financial Sense
- Liquidations Continue: Stocks, Dollar Slide, Precious Metals Pounded In Asia Trading | ZeroHedge
- PBoC Joins Other Major Central Banks With Unconventional Monetary Policy Action | Financial Sense
- Today’s Movers | iBankCoin.com
- Military Plant In East Ukraine Devastated By Massive Explosion; Kiev Accuses Russia Of Using Tactial Nuke | ZeroHedge
- Five Important Lessons Learned From The Scottish Referendum | ZeroHedge
- Facebook Fraud 2.0: Academic Study Exposes "Like Farms" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- New York gears up for historic climate march | Business Insider
- World leaders urged to change course at UN climate summit... | Business Insider
- Siemens to buy US oil equipment maker Dresser-Rand... | Business Insider
- LinkedIn's CEO Jeff Weiner Reveals The Importance Of Body Language, Mistakes... | Business Insider
- Why Did Google Support ALEC, A Giant... | Business Insider
- Firefighter Dies After Being Shocked By A Power Line During The Ice Bucket... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek