Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US To Slap Chinese Hackers With Sanctions Ahead Of Xi Visit | ZeroHedge
- Is China Dumping US Treasuries? | Financial Sense
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Close to New All-Time High | Financial Sense
- Sep 4 - ECB's Draghi: Greece Not Ready Yet For ECB To Buy Its Bonds | ZeroHedge
- Bull Or Bear? | ZeroHedge
- Charting The Rise Of Bernie (And Demise Of Republicans) | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Firms Edging Out Samsung and Apple in the Smartphone Industry | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- After a 5 year hiatus, Google is trying to bring its services back to China (GOOG, GOOGL... | Business Insider
- Wave of new Windows 10 devices on show at Berlin tech fair... | Business Insider
- An elegant solution to the problem in every young banker's fridge | Business Insider
- Lost Australian sheep yields 30 sweaters worth of fleece | Business Insider
- Iran's top leader: No nuclear deal unless sanctions... | Business Insider
- Report: Ohio State QB Jones taken to hospital for headache... | Business Insider
- Google's Nexus 6 is the cheapest it's ever been... | Business Insider