Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Housing Data Broadly Mixed | Financial Sense
- "Panicking" Ukrainians Face Soaring Prices, Warn "Inflation Is War" | ZeroHedge
- OPEC Decision Is "Major Strike Against The American Market", Russian Tycoon Says | ZeroHedge
- "This Is Madness" | ZeroHedge
- Why Millennials Still Live at Home (It Isn’t Jobs, Student Debt, or Housing) | Financial Sense
- Big Banks Take Huge Stakes In Aluminum, Petroleum and Other Physical Markets ... Then Manipulate Their Prices | ZeroHedge
- Trend Changes and the Dangers of Crying Wolf | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Nothing Explains The Meaning Of 'Black Swan' Like The Unexpected... | Business Insider
- Forget Wall Street -- These Chicago Exchange Guys Know How to Party | TheStreet.com
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Visa Becomes Latest World Cup Sponsor To Castigate FIFA Over... | Business Insider
- 20 Must-See Wall Street Movies That Will Make You Wish The Market Was Open Today | Business Insider
- You Can't Buy These 15 Awesome Cars In America | Business Insider
- South Korea Just Banned Unregulated Selfie Sticks | Business Insider