Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- There Goes The Shopping Spree: Nor'easter May Hit East Coast For Thanksgiving | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap November 20, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- The Iran Nuclear Talks (In 1 Lonely Photo) | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Retail Offsets Eurozone Weakness | Financial Sense
- Kissinger Warns of “Fatal Mistakes” on Sanctions, Russia, Cold War | Financial Sense
- Dr. Gary Small on "The Alzheimer's Prevention Program" | Financial Sense
- On Obama and the Nature of Failed Presidencies | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Scientists Just Figured Out How To Serve Espresso In Space | Business Insider
- UK police chief claims '4 or 5' terror plots foiled | Business Insider
- Rodgers under pressure to lift shattered Liverpool | Business Insider
- Albania opens Hoxha's top secret Cold War... | Business Insider
- Still 'no significant progress' in Iran talks... | Business Insider
- One Direction, Taylor Swift shine at American Music... | Business Insider
- Chinese Olympic star Sun Yang failed May drugs test -... | Business Insider