Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Because This Time Is Never Different, In 100 Year Old Cartoons | ZeroHedge
- How Far Will the Stock Market Rebound Go? | ZeroHedge
- Jim Chanos: "The Lesson That Shaped My Understanding Of How Fragile The System Is" | ZeroHedge
- Earnings on Deck | iBankCoin.com
- STTG Market Recap October 16, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- End of U.S. Dollar Hegemony - Not | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap October 17, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- In South Korea, Competitive Video Games Are Almost As Popular As Soccer | Business Insider
- Lady Gaga Reportedly Dropped $23 Million On This Insane Malibu Mansion With A Secret... | Business Insider
- Stock Market Today: Stocks Show Signs of Life on Strength of U.S. Economy | TheStreet.com
- This Popular Midwestern Saying About Cheese Makes No Sense To The Rest Of America... | Business Insider
- Here's The 'But' The Bulls Are Hanging On To | Business Insider
- Emerging Start-... | Business Insider
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell | Business Insider