Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- GDP Report Confirms Global Trade Is Crashing, And Why That Is Good News For Some | ZeroHedge
- The Future Is Served: Meet Moley the Robot Master Chef | Financial Sense
- Oil Prices Drop To 7-Week Lows - Here's Why | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap May 29, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- Bad News for China: Bernanke Says It’s Okay | Financial Sense
- FinanceLOL | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Sachs Predicting $45 Oil by October | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Consumer confidence beats expectations, but plunges from last month | Business Insider
- This $36 million Idaho ranch is the secluded getaway of your... | Business Insider
- Chinese stocks just got destroyed | Business Insider
- What the government needs to do to stop Wall Street crime... | Business Insider
- Stocks are lower (SPY, DJI, IXIC, USD, UST) | Business Insider
- Google's Android M: Maybe for milkshake, or maybe not? | Business Insider
- Why the man behind $2.8 billion Slack says the best... | Business Insider