Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Secular Shift in Interest Rates? | Financial Sense
- 2017 Will Be An Important Year For The Currency Wars | ZeroHedge
- Trump's Declaration Of War: 12 Things He Must Do For America To Be Great Again | ZeroHedge
- Trump's Comments Send the Dollar Reeling | Financial Sense
- Asian Media Warns Of Conflict, Economic Turmoil Under "Trump World Order" | ZeroHedge
- Where Are We Going, Where Have We Been? | Financial Sense
- Summing Up 8 Years Of Barack Obama | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Justice Department: Jared Kushner cleared to serve as White House... | Business Insider
- Russia's celebration of Trump's inauguration is in... | Business Insider
- Credit cards are going the way of fax machines | Business Insider
- Hedge fund legend David Einhorn is making a big bet on GM (GM) | Business Insider
- There's a Snapchat beta that lets you test new features before anyone else... | Business Insider
- A company you've probably never heard of has made a great pair of 'smart... | Business Insider
- How World War III could begin in Latvia | Business Insider