Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Deflationary Indicators Yawn at Fed’s Growth Confidence | Financial Sense
- Frontrunning: December 17 | ZeroHedge
- Contrarians Take Note: Investors Betting Big on Stocks | Financial Sense
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Industrial Production | Financial Sense
- Soaring Inflation Around The Globe: Cartier Hikes Russian Prices By 50%, Suntory Whiskey Prices Surge 25% In Japan | ZeroHedge
- Where The "Great Recovery" Is 25% Worse Than The "Great Recession" | ZeroHedge
- Here's What's Wrong With Corporate America, And The U.S. Economy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- NASA's Incredible, Futuristic, And Totally Real Plan To Establish A Human Colony On Venus | Business Insider
- A Tycoon In Iraq Is Building A $20 Million Replica Of The White House Miles... | Business Insider
- Here Is A List Of All The Companies Most... | Business Insider
- Google's Search Ad Policies Cost This Company $1 Million (... | Business Insider
- This Spectacular Megayacht Has An Infinity Pool And Its Own Art Gallery | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek