Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fund Managers at Highest Cash Levels in 14 Years | Financial Sense
- Crude Crashes Into Bear Market To April Doha Lows | ZeroHedge
- US Homeownership Rate Crashes To Lowest Since 1965 | ZeroHedge
- Oil Rally Hopes Crushed as Inventories Hit All-Time High | Financial Sense
- Sovereign Debt Downgrades Accelerate in 2016 | Financial Sense
- Stocks Dump-n-Pump Amid Crude Carnage, Credit Crumble | ZeroHedge
- Gold Bullion Jumps Before Fed Rate Decision and Durable Goods Plunge | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The prosecutor's decision to drop charges in the... | Business Insider
- 10 weird ways your vote in the presidential election predicts how you act on a... | Business Insider
- Vintage pictures show what Brooklyn was like in the summer of 1974 | Business Insider
- This is the first pot company to trade on a major... | Business Insider
- Chip-on-chip transactions rise (V, MA) | Business Insider
- A new poll says Americans dislike Hillary just as much as Trump | Business Insider
- Bill Gross is flying solo again | Business Insider