Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Dying Middle-Class | ZeroHedge
- Oil Slides as Iran Turns Down Saudi Offer | Financial Sense
- Who Won the Debate? My View and Some Surprising Polls | Financial Sense
- Viral Surveillance Video Reveals A Shocking Scene From China's Housing Bubble | ZeroHedge
- Is This Sleeping Dragon Ready To Awaken? | ZeroHedge
- The Problem With Helicopter Money | Financial Sense
- Dennis Gartman Is "Only Very Slightly Net Long" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why Trump's performance on the 'most important night of the whole campaign... | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are about to... | Business Insider
- A totally unexpected company beat everyone to self-driving cars | Business Insider
- Here are the top 7 most diverse and inclusive... | Business Insider
- 27 photos that give an inside look at one of the biggest criminal enterprises on the... | Business Insider
- FBI Chief: Immunity for Clinton chief of staff limited to... | Business Insider
- We're about to deliberately crash a $1.5 billion spacecraft into a comet | Business Insider