Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trump Obamacare Repeal Blew Up Bigly Because of a House Divided Against Itself | ZeroHedge
- Sugar Is at the Heart of America's Health Problems | Financial Sense
- Atlanta GDPNow Confirms “Hard” Data Still Disappointing | Financial Sense
- Condo Flippers In Miami-Dade Left Twisting In The Wind | ZeroHedge
- Vegas Strip Partially Shut After One Person Shot Dead; Gunman Surrenders After Barricade Stand Off With police | ZeroHedge
- There Will Be Those Who Perish In The Next Crisis, And Those "Who Survive In Underground Luxury" | ZeroHedge
- "If All Goes According To Plan": What Global Central Bank Normalization Would Look Like, In One Chart | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ivanka Trump's DC neighbors... | Business Insider
- A Stanford engineer is making flexible skin that can 'feel... | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- The Fed's move to raise interest rates could hit credit card borrowers... | Business Insider
- These are the watches worn by the most powerful CEOs in the world | Business Insider