Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "The Most Important Chart For Investors" Flashback, And Why USDJPY 120 Is Now Coming Fast | ZeroHedge
- Gold Falls, Stocks Record Highs as Japan Goes ‘Weimar’, “Here Be Dragons” | ZeroHedge
- Goldman, Morgan Stanley Warn European QE, While Fully Priced In, Is Neither Imminent Nor Likely | ZeroHedge
- Russian Ruble Soars Over 5% (Swings Most Since 1998) On Intervention, Rate-Hike Rumors | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Are On Borrowed Time | ZeroHedge
- I Pledge Allegiance... | ZeroHedge
- QE’s Seeds Are Already Sown | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Hong Kong activists mull taking protest to Beijing | Business Insider
- 8 Easy Ways To Have More Fun At Work | Business Insider
- Flu or Ebola? US hospitals prepare for a confusing season... | Business Insider
- Handicapping Apple Pay, Google Wallet, Competitors' Mobile Wallet Chances | TheStreet.com
- Japan's huge pension fund set for major... | Business Insider
- Energy, Politics and Putin: Russia's Gas Power Play Traps Europe | TheStreet.com
- Jim Cramer on Technology Stocks: Trust Facebook, Here's Why | TheStreet.com