Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Obama In Kenya: "Some Are Suggesting I Am Here To Look For My Birth Certificate" | ZeroHedge
- Productivity and Modern-Day Horse Manure | Financial Sense
- Majority Of Americans Now See Guns As The Solution To Mass Shootings | ZeroHedge
- Algos Vigorously Defend Crucial S&P 500 Support, Dow Hits 6-Month Lows | ZeroHedge
- Futures Soar On Hope Central Planners Are Back In Control, China Rollercoaster Ends In The Red | ZeroHedge
- New Lessons Will Be Taught Soon | iBankCoin.com
- The Complete Guide To China's CNY 4 Trillion Margin Doomsday Machine | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Google admits defeat and guts a key part of Google+ (GOOG) | Business Insider
- The amount of TV kids are watching has collapsed (DIS, CMCSA, TWC, TWX, DISCA, VZ,... | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek
- Gas flow in Turkey-Iran pipeline halted after attack | Business Insider
- Tom Cruise and Jimmy Fallon faced off in the most epic lip-synch battle ever | Business Insider
- Aircraft pull US durable goods orders into June rebound | Business Insider
- The ex-CEO of Bloomberg has joined the board of a startup people are calling '... | Business Insider