Covered Call Picks (DMND,IMAX,OVTI,CTRP,MHS)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|DMND||Diamond Foods Inc||24.5||25||1.7||6.90%||Mar-12|
|OVTI||Omnivision Technologies Inc||16.8||17||1||6.00%||Mar-12|
|CTRP||Ctrip.com International Ltd||24.7||25||1.5||5.90%||Mar-12|
|MHS||Medco Health Solutions Inc||64||65||3.8||5.90%||Mar-12|
Diamond Foods Inc (DMND) is currently trading at $24.5. Its 52 week range is between $21.41 and $96.13.
IMAX Corp (IMAX) is currently trading at $23.75. Its 52 week range is between $12.57 and $38.
Omnivision Technologies Inc (OVTI) is currently trading at $16.75. Its 52 week range is between $10.15 and $37.05.
Ctrip.com International Ltd (CTRP) is currently trading at $24.69. Its 52 week range is $22.02 and $50.57.
Medco Health Solutions Inc (MHS) is currently trading at $64.01. Its 52 week range is between $44.6 and $66.38.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Crude Slips On Surprise API Inventory Build | ZeroHedge
- Paul Craig Roberts Rages: Truth Is Now A Crime Against The State | ZeroHedge
- "Off The Grid" Indicators Suggest US Economy Not Ready For 'Liftoff' | ZeroHedge
- SocGen Says "Raise Cash" As Volatility, Turbulence Ahead | ZeroHedge
- "Diva Of Distress" Dissed: Court Tosses Lynn Tilton's Lawsuit Against SEC, Which Is Suing Her For Fraud | ZeroHedge
- Former Senator Slams Washington As Corrupt "Sewer", Calls For Outraged Young Americans To Revolt | ZeroHedge
- The Global Template For Collapse: The Enchanting Charms Of Cheap, Easy Credit | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Women are replacing men in the global workforce | Business Insider
- Sexy six-packs back in 'Magic Mike XXL' | Business Insider
- Video ad spending is on a tear — here are the most important... | Business Insider
- And now we have our first presidential candidate warning about... | Business Insider
- The new oligarchs in New York City are like nothing the city has seen | Business Insider
- GREECE DEFAULTS (GREK) | Business Insider
- There's a problem with America's 'Plan B' for Iran | Business Insider