Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Caught On Tape: 100s Of M1 Abrams Tanks Roll Through Houston, TX | ZeroHedge
- Larry Lindsey Warns "Nothing Will Change Until The System Collapses Under Its Own Weight" | ZeroHedge
- About Those Record Auto Sales... An Insider's View | ZeroHedge
- 562,000 Workers Drop Out Of The Labor Force As Participation Rate Resumes Drop | ZeroHedge
- Jim Grant Asks When The World Will Realize "That Central Bankers Have Lost Their Marbles" | ZeroHedge
- One Chart Says It All | ZeroHedge
- Rob Reiner Explains Why Millions Of Americans Support Trump: "They're All Racist" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- There's something more profitable for pirates than cheap oil | Business Insider
- This VC thinks Apple CEO Tim Cook is like 'human... | Business Insider
- Bill Ackman, Goldman Sachs and China: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ON WALL STREET | Business Insider
- Justin Timberlake just made his comeback with a celebrity-packed new music video | Business Insider
- A cafe in Taiwan makes cake that oozes out Matcha | Business Insider
- Apple bought at least 3 companies in the past year that nobody knows about (... | Business Insider
- A Wall Street exec has a brutal anecdote about deciding bonuses, and it changed... | Business Insider