Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Wages Around The World | ZeroHedge
- Did The Fed Just Whisper "Fire" In A Crowded Market? | ZeroHedge
- Weather Constrained Retail: Focus on Outdoor Dining | Financial Sense
- The Monetary Approach Reigns Supreme | Financial Sense
- Federal Agents Investigating Bitcoin Money Laundering Extorted, Stole Over $1 Million In Bitcoin | ZeroHedge
- Trade Idea | iBankCoin.com
- Japan "Wakes Up," Joins China-led Development Bank (And Then Backs Out) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Wage disparities are leveling off | Business Insider
- Here are the 3 times Trevor Noah, the guy replacing Jon Stewart, appeared on 'The... | Business Insider
- Science-backed methods to make a long distance relationship work | Business Insider
- REPORT: Marco Rubio will likely announce his White... | Business Insider
- A scientist who wants to contact aliens has a plan to beam the entire... | Business Insider
- 'Dysfunctional' Sports... | Business Insider
- 15 mega-yachts worth a total of $5.5 billion — and the lucky men who own them | Business Insider