Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Japan’s Yen Has Only Begun to Fall | Financial Sense
- With 6 Hours Until The Greek Vote, This Is Where We Stand | ZeroHedge
- Happy Independence Day, Brought To You By The Chinese | ZeroHedge
- Happy 4th of Joohl-Eye | iBankCoin.com
- Reflections on France | Financial Sense
- Greeks Turn To Bitcoin To Dodge Capital Controls | ZeroHedge
- Barack Obama Tells Another Whopper - He Did Not Create 12.8 Million Jobs | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- A tiny 25-year-old Colombian rider with a freakish VO2 max... | Business Insider
- A 29-year-old has crowdsourced $2 million to save Greece | Business Insider
- The unbelievable story behind the 'Back to Back World War Champs' tank top | Business Insider
- Longtime champ dethroned at NY hot dog eating contest | Business Insider
- This chart shows how the cost of cable has exploded over time (TWC, CMCSA, VZ, DTV) | Business Insider
- How President Roosevelt tricked the Supreme Court into creating a minimum wage | Business Insider