Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ukraine Gives Russia 48-Hr Ultimatum Or "We Will Fight" | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: April 23 | ZeroHedge
- The Chinese Housing Ponzi Exposed: "As We Sell Our First Apartments, We’ll Have Cash Flow To Build The Next Stage" | ZeroHedge
- The Fallout from the Coffee Rally | iBankCoin.com
- Ex-Morgan Stanley Chief Economist Admits "Fed Is Distorting Markets" | ZeroHedge
- Harry Reid Issues Statement On "Hateful Racist" Cliven Bundy | ZeroHedge
- Before and After Effects of Drugs | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Uber Rival Lyft Is Giving Out Free Rides For The Next Two Weeks In 24 Cities | Business Insider
- Everything's Going Up | Business Insider
- Here's A Video Of Obama Playing Soccer With A Humanoid Japanese... | Business Insider
- STOCKS FALL: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- Shocking Report Claims 'At Least 40' Veterans Died... | Business Insider
- Inspirational Photos From The Boston Marathon | Business Insider
- NEW YORKERS: Brace Yourselves For The Montreal-New York Bagel Hybrid | Business Insider