Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- President Obama Explains How He Will Blow The Student Loan Bubble Even Bigger - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Elevating Markets: A Signal of Reviving Bank Lending? | Financial Sense
- A Divergence Among Nasdaq 100 Stocks | Financial Sense
- How Bitcoin's Not So Secret Satoshi Nakamoto Was Discovered (Hint: Phone Book) | ZeroHedge
- Russia Threatens "Sanctions Would Hit US Like A Boomerang"" | ZeroHedge
- Gold Price Manipulation: What's Next? | ZeroHedge
- A Matter of Public Recourd | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Facebook's New Ad Stars An Alien, A Stormtrooper, And A Transformer | Business Insider
- White House: Mitt Romney Was Wrong About Russia | Business Insider
- Here's A 10 Second Guide To What Traders Are Chatting About Before The Jobs Report | Business Insider
- 15 Sports Uniform Trends That Drive Fans Nuts | Business Insider
- Insane Photos Of The Marine Silent Drill Team Performing With Blue Angels Overhead... | Business Insider
- Here Is Twitter's Prediction For Today's Jobs Report | Business Insider
- Notable 52-Week... | StreetInsider.com