Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Frontrunning: September 2 | ZeroHedge
- Reflections on the Past Three Days and the Fed’s Policy Problem | Financial Sense
- US Stays Solid Amid Global Quakes | Financial Sense
- Third Greek Bailout Suddenly In Jeopardy: Creditors Warn Cash May Be Delayed If Elections Don't Go As Desired | ZeroHedge
- Clash, Mesh, Rattle... Thud | Financial Sense
- China Scrambles To Enforce Capital Controls (Which Is Great News For Bitcoin) | ZeroHedge
- "What If China Devalues To 8?" BofA Warns Of "Profound" Consequences For Commodities, Financial System | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- LEADING OFF: Latos tries again for Dodgers, Braves skidding... | Business Insider
- Membership-based delivery services are beginning to disrupt the $600 billion-a-... | Business Insider
- Africa's Deadwood: The gold rush is on in Uganda | Business Insider
- Obama tours glacier to highlight march of climate change | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- There are two different Europes right now — Germany and France | Business Insider
- 4,300 migrants arrive in Athens as govt holds crisis talks... | Business Insider