Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Outlines New "Offensive" Military Strategy; Builds Lighthouses In Disputed Waters | ZeroHedge
- I WOKE UP TO TWO RIDICULOUS DEALS THIS MORNING | iBankCoin.com
- Investor Opinions Have Become Extremely Uniform, and That's Not Good | Financial Sense
- Housing Data Rebounds; Walmart Disappoints | Financial Sense
- There Is No Longer A Market: Citigroup Confirms What Zero Hedge Has Said Since 2009 | ZeroHedge
- Is Inflation on Our Doorstep? | Financial Sense
- Mario Draghi's Slippery Downward Slope | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Plus500 customers are going to have... | Business Insider
- FIFA corruption probe: LIVE REPORT | Business Insider
- Here's one sign Snapchat is dominating... | Business Insider
- The ambitious plan behind Obama's $215 million program to transform... | Business Insider
- Militants kill UN soldier in Mali's capital:... | Business Insider
- Investors and consumers overestimated the inflation rate over the last decade | Business Insider
- Britain poised for 'Brexit... | Business Insider