Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The "Sexy" Facts about Debt Markets | ZeroHedge
- Presenting ISIS-Beating "Mad Max" Battle Tanks And Buses | ZeroHedge
- "Broad-Based Deceleration" - Case-Shiller Home Prices Tumble Most Since Nov 2011, 3rd Drop In A Row | ZeroHedge
- Russian Stocks Enter Bear Market As Ruble Hits Record Low | ZeroHedge
- Germany Fights on Two Fronts to Preserve the Eurozone | Financial Sense
- Five Stocks Cooking Well Today | iBankCoin.com
- How Much Further Can Gold Fall? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 3 New Ways Companies Can Lead In The Digital World | Business Insider
- Now It Sounds Like Japanese Giant SoftBank Won't Buy DreamWorks After... | Business Insider
- Cornell University Names Its First Female President | Business Insider
- Zendesk Has A New Free App That Can Solve All The Problems With Alias Emails | Business Insider
- Markets Are Up (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- Amanda Bynes Arrested For DUI | Business Insider
- Pellegrini rues carelessness as Roma hold City | Business Insider