Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China’s Pivot Toward Europe May Cut U.S. Out of Deal | Financial Sense
- "Houston, You Have A Problem" - Texas Is Headed For A Recession Due To Oil Crash, JPM Warns | ZeroHedge
- Drilling Our Way Into Oblivion: Shale Was About Land Gambling With Cheap Debt, Not Technological Miracles | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap Dec 19, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Mish’s Take: What’s Behind the Plunge in Oil? Boon to Spending or Recessionary? | Financial Sense
- Meet Joe Lewis - The $200 Million "British Madoff" | ZeroHedge
- The New Boremal | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Google Has Buried Some Little-Known Tricks In Hangouts That Will Liven Up Your Chats | Business Insider
- How To Get A Few More Days Out Of An Opened Bottle Of Wine | Business Insider
- 'Irresponsible' non-OPEC output behind oil... | Business Insider
- These Will Be The 12 Biggest Movies Of 2015 | Business Insider
- 'Serial' Takes On The Truth Behind Santa Claus In This Hilarious SNL Spoof | Business Insider
- Spared the butcher's knife, horses get new... | Business Insider
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider