Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bail-Ins And Deposit Confiscation Confirmed At ‘Future of Banking in Europe’ Conference | ZeroHedge
- House Hearing On Obama's Unilateral Action To Cease Enforcing Laws - Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
- Santa Claus for Me, Not For You | iBankCoin.com
- Ride the Profitable Wave | Financial Sense
- Why Gold and Silver Are Having a Tough Time | Financial Sense
- Government: Byword for Corruption | ZeroHedge
- Despite Reform, Brazil and Mexico Lack Energy Investments | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 3 Surprising Ways To Accelerate Retirement Savings | Business Insider
- Against All Odds, Congress Might Actually Come To A Deal... | Business Insider
- Here's How The Fiscal Cliff Deal Screwed Over The Poor | Business Insider
- Everyone Is Baffled By Alan Greenspan's Comment About Bitcoin | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Best Biotech CEO of 2013: Your Vote Counts | TheStreet.com
- PRIVATE EQUITY CEO: Why It Takes More Than Academic Smarts To Make It At... | Business Insider