Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why Much of Asia Is Thankful for the Upcoming iPhone Release | Financial Sense
- Is Charlotte Our Future? | ZeroHedge
- The 2016 Presidential Election Comes Down To Only One Thing... | ZeroHedge
- Deutsche Bank Contagion: Nord LB, Lufthansa, Korean Air Pull Bond Deals | ZeroHedge
- Consumer Confidence Highest Since Recession | Financial Sense
- "I Think It’ll Be A Clown Show" - Why Tomorrow's Debate Is So Important | ZeroHedge
- Why The Deep State Is Dumping Hillary | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'When they go low, we go high' — Clinton slams... | Business Insider
- Snapchat filters were the real winners of the first Trump-Clinton debate | Business Insider
- The top 5 digital trends for 2016 | Business Insider
- The reviews are in for Lester Holt's performance during the presidential debate... | Business Insider
- Iran is changing the way it sells oil and gas | Business Insider
- A brief history of the beloved Volkswagen microbus | Business Insider
- Credit cards are going the way of fax machines | Business Insider