Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Greece Suffers Biggest Bank Run In History: January Deposits Plunge To 2005 Levels | ZeroHedge
- Gold: The Good, Bad, and Truly Ugly | ZeroHedge
- The Last 3 Times This Happened, Stocks Rolled Over | ZeroHedge
- What the Latest Payroll Data Really Means for the Labor Market | Financial Sense
- 12 Reasons Why Ritholtz and Many Experts Are Mistaken On Gold | ZeroHedge
- Everything You Do is Wrong | iBankCoin.com
- WTI Follows Algo-Idiot-Inventory Template: Slides Back Below $50 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The founder of modern Singapore is on life support | Business Insider
- Steve Jobs talked to Playboy 30 years ago — here are 15 awesome things he... | Business Insider
- This 3-letter word could change the course of your career | Business Insider
- The new trailer for ‘Batman: Arkham Knight’ makes us want to play it right now | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett drinks Coke for breakfast | Business Insider
- ISIS executioner 'Jihadi John' identified as... | Business Insider
- Negative interest rates are here to stay — so get used to them... | Business Insider