Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China’s Stock Markets and Revisiting 2011 Predictions | Financial Sense
- Shaping the Investment Climate and the Dollar Trade | ZeroHedge
- The Great Greek Fudge | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Economy Crashes To 2-Year Low; China Stocks Plunge, Asian Stocks Test 2015 Lows | ZeroHedge
- The Politicians’ War On Uber | ZeroHedge
- Here's The Bad News That Nobody Is Telling You About The Record Lows In Initial Jobless Claims | ZeroHedge
- Gold Update: Sentiment, Seasonality, and Price Patterns Look Favorable | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- 50 Cent's comments on 'Conan' are coming back to haunt... | Business Insider
- How to see if your emails are being tracked in Gmail before opening them... | Business Insider
- Conflicting reports over killing of Cecil the lion'... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- Cannes traders roll out red carpet to Saudi... | Business Insider