Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Russian Warplanes Fly First Joint Mission With US-Coalition Aircraft Kremlin Says, Pentagon Denies | ZeroHedge
- The Collapse Of The Left's Great Con | ZeroHedge
- China Approaching the Limits of Currency Management | Financial Sense
- "10 Things Learned From 3 Days In Washington D.C." | ZeroHedge
- Trump Wins The Unions: Teamsters Praise TPP Withdrawal, Labor Chiefs Describe "Incredible" Meeting With Trump | ZeroHedge
- A Trade War Is in No One's Interest | Financial Sense
- Futures, Dollar Slide; European Stocks At 3-Week Lows As "Trump Reality Sets In" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A star tech and media banker shares his thoughts on dealmaking in 2017 | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Drugmakers want to use a campaign featuring poetry and lab coats to clear... | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton allies are trying to get people to unfollow Trump on Twitter... | Business Insider
- Don't expect nationwide marijuana legalization under the Trump... | Business Insider
- McDonald's customers are revolting against the death of the Dollar Menu (MCD... | Business Insider
- There's a Snapchat beta that lets you test new features before anyone else... | Business Insider