Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- OIL DOWN THE DRAIN FOR XMAS | iBankCoin.com
- BEHOLD: ANOTHER SPECULATIVE LONG | iBankCoin.com
- Here Comes France: Right-Wing Leader Marine Le Pen Demands Central Bank Repatriate French Gold | ZeroHedge
- Futures In Fresh Record Territory As OECD Cuts Global Growth Projections Again | ZeroHedge
- Fortunes Will be Made | iBankCoin.com
- How Have Our Forecasts Played Out This Year? | Financial Sense
- 2,200 National Guard Troops To Be Deployed In Ferguson Tonight, Up From 700 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Troubled Mobile Payments Startup Clinkle Is Giving Away Free Cash... | Business Insider
- Obama Just Confronted His Hecklers During An Immigration Speech | Business Insider
- Slack, The Popular App That Aims To Replace... | Business Insider
- The 11 Most Underrated Ski Resorts In America | Business Insider
- These Are The Angry Facebook Posts That Put A Guy In Prison | Business Insider
- YACHT OF THE WEEK: The Largest Mega-Yacht Ever Built... | Business Insider
- A Secret Message Hidden In A CIA... | Business Insider