Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Citi Explains The Most Surprising Thing About The Market Crash | ZeroHedge
- Stop Bashing Banks, Please | ZeroHedge
- What Happens Next? | ZeroHedge
- The 4 Key Themes From Q4 Conference Calls | ZeroHedge
- Martin Armstrong Warns "Systemic Risk Is Rising For All Markets" | ZeroHedge
- New Ghost City Under Construction In China | ZeroHedge
- Presidents Day (For Millennials) | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A Canadian corporation is busting insurance fraud with social media | Business Insider
- We might be in for 'permanent easing' | Business Insider
- How Apple is tackling health problems like concussions, asthma, and... | Business Insider
- The surprising way your gut can affect your bone strength | Business Insider
- 6 classic business books you should read if you... | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Inside one of New York's most eclectic members-only clubs | Business Insider