Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Eurozone Equities: Political Risks versus Strong Macro Crosscurrents | Financial Sense
- Snyder: "It's About Time We Had A President Willing To Go To War With Mainstream Media" | ZeroHedge
- Is Weakening Breadth Warning of a Pullback or Major Top? | Financial Sense
- Solar Installations Surge 95% In 2016 | Financial Sense
- These Are Times Of General Corruption | ZeroHedge
- "It's Unfair" - Hispanic Workers Upset After Being Fired For Absence On "Day Without Immigrants" | ZeroHedge
- Flynn-Russia-Trump-Markets! | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This creepy tool reveals how Facebook's AI tracks and... | Business Insider
- Goldman Sachs announced a big promotion in its new online business | Business Insider
- Here's the most important imported good in every state | Business Insider
- Snap just lost a key ad exec weeks before its IPO | Business Insider
- Trump is promising big changes at the FDA — here's how drugs are approved today | Business Insider
- Trump is in the wrong place at the wrong time when... | Business Insider
- Washington prepares to bring North Koreans to US for talks | Business Insider