Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Canadian Dollar Surges Most In 2 Years As "Tax Inversion" Euphoria Hits FX | ZeroHedge
- Ukraine Releases Video Of Captured Russian Troops; They "Entered Accidentally" Russia Claims As Putin-Poroshenko Meeting Begins | ZeroHedge
- Meet ICREACH: The NSA's Own Secret "Google" | ZeroHedge
- As Argentina Peso Plummets To Record, BofA Warns Of Looming Economic Crisis | ZeroHedge
- Deflation’s Final Curtain Call (Part 2) | Financial Sense
- WTF White House Statement Of The Day: Syria Airstrikes Edition | ZeroHedge
- Following the Drug Money | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Square Is Raising $200 Million At A $6 Billion Valuation | Business Insider
- A Top VC Who's Put Money Into Uber, Snapchat, And Twitter Uses This Motto To Make... | Business Insider
- Here Are The States Where Tons Of Americans Are Getting Gun Background Checks (SWHC, RGR) | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Internet Restored After Widespread Outages Reported In London | Business Insider
- Wall Street Loves This Gadget That's Bringing The World Closer To Self-Driving Cars... | Business Insider
- A Controversial New Ad Shows Female Tech Founders And CEOs Coding In Their... | Business Insider