Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Obama to Veto Bill Requiring Background Checks on Syrian Refugees | Financial Sense
- As Market Awaits "Santa" Draghi, The ECB Is "Chasing Its Own Tail" | ZeroHedge
- December 16th: A Date Which Will Live On In Monetary Infamy | ZeroHedge
- Energy Storage Tech Finally Starting to Compete With the Grid | Financial Sense
- Matthew Mather's Darknet Shows Reality Is Not Far From Fiction | Financial Sense
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Real Personal Income for October | Financial Sense
- Obama Says "Enough Is Enough," Urges Gun Restrictions After Deadly Planned Parenthood Standoff | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Seattle leans on its offense to beat Pittsburgh 39-30 | Business Insider
- George Osborne's 'affordable'... | Business Insider
- Long wait times plague Social Security disability process... | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- USC rolls past No. 22 UCLA 40-21, takes Pac-12 South title... | Business Insider
- Kevorkian archive opens as physician-assisted deaths rise... | Business Insider
- Hokies give Beamer 1 more win over Virginia, 23-20 | Business Insider