Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Imminent Multi-Trillion Dollar Surge In Social Security & Medicare Costs | Financial Sense
- Reva Goujon: Global Forces Indicate 2017 Is Shaping Up to Be a Big Year | Financial Sense
- Trump About To Preside Over New Global Financial Crisis: "Not His Fault, Merely His Misfortune" | ZeroHedge
- Job Market Rolling Over: Rate Of Hiring Declines At Fastest Pace Since 2013 | ZeroHedge
- The OPEC Deal: Here Are the Details | Financial Sense
- Supreme Court Rules On Insider Trading For First Time In 20 Years: Why It Matters | ZeroHedge
- Colorado "Hamilton Electors" Sue To Block Trump, Void Vote Mandate | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Michael Moore torches Trump during CNN town hall | Business Insider
- Fintech could be bigger than ATMs, PayPal,... | Business Insider
- The science behind LA's shade balls | Business Insider
- The House of Commons would back... | Business Insider
- The 40 best Reuters photos of the year | Business Insider
- The top 10 schools for coding in the US | Business Insider
- A doctor shares 6 research-backed ways to fend off the winter blues | Business Insider