Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fund Managers at Highest Cash Levels in 14 Years | Financial Sense
- Why Real Reform Is Impossible: We Can't Believe The Mighty Titanic Could Actually Sink | ZeroHedge
- July 26-27 – The Fed Will Put Us on Notice for a September 20-21 Rate Hike | Financial Sense
- Judge Rules Bitcoin Isn't Money Because It "Can't be Hidden Under A Mattress" | ZeroHedge
- Signs of Excessive Bullish Sentiment | Financial Sense
- "Central Bankers Are Killing Capitalism" Odey Warns, Moving Politics "Fast To Extremes" | ZeroHedge
- Hillary Makes History As First Female Presidential Nominee | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Vantiv debuts developer solution | Business Insider
- Consumer Reports doesn't fool around when it tests cars | Business Insider
- Nintendo loses $6.4 billion in value after it says Pokemon Go will have a limited effect... | Business Insider
- There's an important reason why the clones of Dolly the sheep are not... | Business Insider
- One in 10 US adults has ringing in their ears for a... | Business Insider
- Redskins cornerback Josh Norman gave an impassioned explanation about why... | Business Insider
- Everyone on Wall Street is talking about a small, secretive hedge fund that is posting... | Business Insider