Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Softer Hard Data Weighs on Stocks | Financial Sense
- Rich People Are Living Longer And It's Going To Cost Taxpayers 'Bigly' | ZeroHedge
- Gold Bullion Slips Again from 'MAJOR' Hurdle of 2011 Downtrend as IMF Raises Global GDP Forecasts | Financial Sense
- Meet The Real Emmanuel Macron: Consummate Banker Puppet, Bizarre Elitist Creation | ZeroHedge
- Cataclysm | ZeroHedge
- Nordstrom Selling Fake-Mud Jeans For $425 | ZeroHedge
- The REAL New World Order | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Check out the insane motorized windows on the Apple Store in Dubai (AAPL... | Business Insider
- PULTEGROUP: The spring selling season 'points to the ongoing strength in recovery for the... | Business Insider
- Spotify acquired blockchain startup Mediachain | Business Insider
- Japan issues guide on how to survive nuclear-missile... | Business Insider
- White House chief of staff fires back over 'sanctuary ban' ruling:... | Business Insider
- Here's what a war with North Korea might look like | Business Insider
- Trump is winning support against North Korea — but losing the war for influence in... | Business Insider