Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ukraine To Issue "Military" Bonds To "Increase Combat Readiness Of Armed Forces" | ZeroHedge
- THROW THEM OFF THE CLIFFS!!! | iBankCoin.com
- Risk On, Regardless | Financial Sense
- Why IBM Is Tumbling: BRIC Sales Plunge, Total Revenue Lowest Since 2009 | ZeroHedge
- The "Housing Recovery" Is Complete: Major US Banks' Mortgage Originations Tumble To Record Low | ZeroHedge
- Fed Jawboning, Minutes Give Stocks a Lift | Financial Sense
- Retail Sales Surge on Spring Thaw | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Most Outrageous Fashion Trends Spotted At Coachella | Business Insider
- This Massive Private Island In The Bahamas — Once Listed For $55 Million —... | Business Insider
- The Wolverine Unites The X-Men In New 'Days Of Future Past' Trailer | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- Is This Performance Artist Behind The Boston Bombing Backpack Hoax? | Business Insider
- The Death Of The PC Market Is A Huge Problem For Intel (INTC) | Business Insider
- Dating App Zoosk Files For A $100 Million IPO, And It Has Some Impressive Revenues | Business Insider