Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Europe's Central Bank Is in a Bind Over Bonds | Financial Sense
- Bank Jog: Deutsche Bank's Demand Deposits Tumble By 13% In Q3 | ZeroHedge
- Services PMI Spikes To 11-Month Highs But Employers Remain "Cautious On Hiring" | ZeroHedge
- Putin Tried To Warn Us About Syria Three Years Ago, But Nobody Listened | ZeroHedge
- Over 80 Groups Want Russia Off The UN Human Rights Council, There’s Just One Problem | ZeroHedge
- Ugly! “Failure Almost Guaranteed” Regardless of Who Wins the Election | Financial Sense
- Bitcoin Soars As China Launches Crackdown On Wealth-Management Products | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Guardian CEO David Pemsel tells us how much damage Google and Facebook are doing... | Business Insider
- Leading historian says the rise of Europe's far right is '... | Business Insider
- What happens to your body after you die | Business Insider
- Snapchat aims to raise $4 billion when it IPOs next year | Business Insider
- EU's Tusk says the CETA signing summit still... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Best Buy is bringing back free shipping for holiday... | Business Insider