Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Brexit Means for the World | Financial Sense
- Something Just Snapped In VIX | ZeroHedge
- US Shale Producers Just Won Their Biggest Legal Case in Years | Financial Sense
- In Major Win For Abortion Advocates, Supreme Court Voids Texas Abortion Clinic Law | ZeroHedge
- A TeRRiBLe ACCiDeNT IN THe ALPS... | ZeroHedge
- JPMorgan Lays Out "The Worst Case" | ZeroHedge
- "Brexit" - What Goldman Thinks Will Happen Next, And Who Will Hold The Next Referendum | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 25 cities with the most dramatic income equality in the US | Business Insider
- A NASA spacecraft is about to explore Jupiter like never before — here’s... | Business Insider
- What staff at the White House think about Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump... | Business Insider
- This finance trend is so hot even Amazon wants in (AMZN) | Business Insider
- The top 5 fintech predictions for 2016 | Business Insider
- Here are all the crazy-advanced robots built by Google's Boston... | Business Insider
- 7 wonders of the world that may soon be underwater | Business Insider