Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Peak Empire 2.0 | ZeroHedge
- Headwinds for the U.S. and U.K. Economies | Financial Sense
- Market Boosted by Caterpillar (CAT) Earnings | Financial Sense
- Santelli Slams The Fed As "Weak-Data"-Dependent; Lacy Hunt Warns "We're Not On The Right Path" | ZeroHedge
- THE TIM COOK BOTTOM OR TOP? | iBankCoin.com
- Algos Please Ignore: Citi Slashes Previously Reported Net Income Due To "Legal Investigations" Over FX Rigging Probe | ZeroHedge
- Today Might Be a Super Gay Day | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- MORGAN STANLEY: This Chart Shows Why Fat Profit Margins Aren't Doomed To... | Business Insider
- Big, Beautiful Photos Of Google's Gigantic New Phone, The Nexus 6 (GOOG) | Business Insider
- Man Who Mysteriously Disappeared From A Broncos Game Found 114 Miles Away After Walking For 5 Days... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Drugmaker Sanofi Fired Its CEO For Being Insufficiently French, And The Stock Is... | Business Insider
- The Main Difference Between Google's Rising Star Sundar Pichai And CEO Larry Page... | Business Insider
- This 10-Year-Old Is Earning An Insane Amount To Star In Steven Spielberg... | Business Insider