Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Two Weeks After Upgrading Stocks, Goldman Downgrades Stocks | ZeroHedge
- How The NSA Is Actively Helping Saudi Arabia To Crackdown On Dissent | ZeroHedge
- Is It 1999 All Over Again? | Financial Sense
- Summarizing The President's Busy Weekend | ZeroHedge
- DOE, Intel Work to Keep ‘Moore’s Law’ From Expiring | Financial Sense
- It is Mostly about the US Next Week | ZeroHedge
- Tapering Is Now Tightening | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Biggest Rip-Offs And Best Values At The Bar | Business Insider
- Wage Growth Is Really Going Nowhere | Business Insider
- 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Isn't Even Out Yet And It's Already... | Business Insider
- Corporate Profit Margins Are Getting Ever Fatter | Business Insider
- Putin's Tyranny Is Costing Russian Citizens $7,000 Each | Business Insider
- Brilliant Management Advice From LinkedIn's Billionaire... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek