Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Visual Story Of The Biggest Fraud In Gold Mining History | ZeroHedge
- With Syriza Leading By 7 Points, Greek Incumbents Fear-Monger Looming "Toilet-Paper-Run" | ZeroHedge
- "QE Benefits Mostly The Wealthy" JPMorgan Admits, And Lists 8 Ways ECB's QE Will Hurt Everyone Else | ZeroHedge
- Davos – The Arrogance Of Officialdom | ZeroHedge
- Socially Awkward | iBankCoin.com
- Martin Armstrong: Foreign Capital Flows Could Drive US Markets Significantly Higher | Financial Sense
- The Lunatics Are Running the Asylum: Draghi’s Money Printing Bazooka | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 19 Stocks To Play The Housing Recovery (XHB, BZH, TMHC, NVR, BRP, MDC, TOL, PHM... | Business Insider
- Williamson, Taylor revive New Zealand in Sri Lanka ODI | Business Insider
- Get Ready for the Dollar to Dip Again: Buy Foreign Currency | TheStreet.com
- How To Find A Flat To Rent In London Without Making Yourself Miserable | Business Insider
- 'Exploding Kittens' Raised $3 Million In 72 Hours | Business Insider
- Bale nets late winner as Ronaldo sees red | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek