Covered Call Picks (VVUS,DNDN,SHLD,FSLR,SINA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|SHLD||Sears Holdings Corp||54.9||55||4.8||8.70%||Mar-12|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||39.7||40||3.4||8.60%||Mar-12|
Vivus Inc (VVUS) is currently trading at $11.18. Its 52 week range is between $6 and $13.18.
Dendreon Corp (DNDN) is currently trading at $14.49. Its 52 week range is between $6.46 and $43.96.
Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) is currently trading at $54.86. Its 52 week range is between $28.89 and $94.79.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $39.71. Its 52 week range is $29.87 and $175.45.
SINA Corp (SINA) is currently trading at $68.69. Its 52 week range is between $46.86 and $147.12.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stocks, Bond Yields Drop After Rosengren-IBM-Oil Triple-Whammy | ZeroHedge
- Three Perspectives on Falling Oil Prices | Financial Sense
- Earnings on Deck | iBankCoin.com
- Santelli & Schiff: "A Messy Exit Is A Given... Ending QE Will Plunge US Into Severe Recession" | ZeroHedge
- More Predictions From the Man Behind the Mask | iBankCoin.com
- Stunning Scenes From California's Central Valley Drought | ZeroHedge
- But, Stocks Are Cheap... Right? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Chipotle Earnings Smash Expectations (CMG) | Business Insider
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella On Equality In The Workplace: 'This Is A Real... | Business Insider
- UH-OH: The New Barron's Cover Looks Bullish | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com
- The Nikkei Is Booming Again After Last Week's Brutal Sell-Off | Business Insider
- The Reckoning For Swiss Banks Is Far From Over | Business Insider