Covered Call Picks (NTAP,CLF,CSCO,NVDA,CMCSA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NTAP||NetApp Inc||35.4||35.5||1.6||4.50%||February 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||36.6||37||1||2.60%||February 2013|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||21||21||0.5||2.50%||February 2013|
|NVDA||Nvidia Corp||12.4||12.5||0.3||2.50%||February 2013|
|CMCSA||Comcast Corp||39||39||0.7||1.80%||February 2013|
NetApp Inc (NTAP) is currently trading at $35.41. Its 52 week range is between $26.26 and $46.8.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $36.61. Its 52 week range is between $28.05 and $74.43.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $20.97. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.34.
Nvidia Corp (NVDA) is currently trading at $12.43. Its 52 week range is between $11.15 and $16.9.
Comcast Corp (CMCSA) is currently trading at $38.97. Its 52 week range is between $26.93 and $40.28.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The One Thing Most Desired By Chinese Consumers Is... | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Consumer Spending: A Positive Surprise! | Financial Sense
- U.S. to Foreign Officials: Stop Buying U.S. Treasuries | Financial Sense
- Massive "Meteor-Like" Explosion Lights Up North Russian Night Sky | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap April 16, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- How Do You Justify Consuming ExxonMobil’s Oil? | Financial Sense
- Anti-HFT Trading Platform Comes To "Rigged" FX Markets | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- People Are Watching A Surprising Amount Of Long-Form Video... | Business Insider
- These Guys Confess To Their Worst Mistakes Made During Tech Job Interviews | Business Insider
- Why Google Isn't Growing (GOOG) | Business Insider
- 6 Scientifically Proven Things Men Can Do To Be More Attractive | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- John Boehner's Spokesman Sends Perfect... | Business Insider
- These Scientists Made This Music Track Way Cooler... | Business Insider