Covered Call Picks (NTAP,CLF,CSCO,NVDA,CMCSA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NTAP||NetApp Inc||35.4||35.5||1.6||4.50%||February 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||36.6||37||1||2.60%||February 2013|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||21||21||0.5||2.50%||February 2013|
|NVDA||Nvidia Corp||12.4||12.5||0.3||2.50%||February 2013|
|CMCSA||Comcast Corp||39||39||0.7||1.80%||February 2013|
NetApp Inc (NTAP) is currently trading at $35.41. Its 52 week range is between $26.26 and $46.8.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $36.61. Its 52 week range is between $28.05 and $74.43.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $20.97. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.34.
Nvidia Corp (NVDA) is currently trading at $12.43. Its 52 week range is between $11.15 and $16.9.
Comcast Corp (CMCSA) is currently trading at $38.97. Its 52 week range is between $26.93 and $40.28.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why Year 3 of the Presidential Cycle Hasn't Gone the Way Everyone Expected | Financial Sense
- Is a Ban on Physical Cash Coming Soon? | ZeroHedge
- Battered Biotechs Trigger First "Death Cross" In 4 Years | ZeroHedge
- What Happens To Our Economy As Millions Of People Lose The Habits Of Hard Work? | ZeroHedge
- Gold & Silver Slammed Off Technical Levels | ZeroHedge
- Market Recap Oct 7, 2015 | FundMyMutualFund
- Ep 134: Naveen Jain – The Billionaire Who Wants to Go To the Moon | Altucher Confidential
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Official: Extremists kill 2 in drive-by shooting in... | Business Insider
- Platini calls reports of a 90-day suspension 'insidious... | Business Insider
- High court weighs 3 death sentences in Kansas cases | Business Insider
- Chanel just created the swankiest airport we've ever seen | Business Insider
- Former NFL coach Lindy Infante dies at 75 | Business Insider
- Hamburgers might be on the menu for Russian astronauts | Business Insider
- California agency to eye bigger whale tanks at SeaWorld | Business Insider