Covered Call Picks (NTAP,CLF,CSCO,NVDA,CMCSA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NTAP||NetApp Inc||35.4||35.5||1.6||4.50%||February 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||36.6||37||1||2.60%||February 2013|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||21||21||0.5||2.50%||February 2013|
|NVDA||Nvidia Corp||12.4||12.5||0.3||2.50%||February 2013|
|CMCSA||Comcast Corp||39||39||0.7||1.80%||February 2013|
NetApp Inc (NTAP) is currently trading at $35.41. Its 52 week range is between $26.26 and $46.8.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $36.61. Its 52 week range is between $28.05 and $74.43.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $20.97. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.34.
Nvidia Corp (NVDA) is currently trading at $12.43. Its 52 week range is between $11.15 and $16.9.
Comcast Corp (CMCSA) is currently trading at $38.97. Its 52 week range is between $26.93 and $40.28.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Sunday Morning Charts | iBankCoin.com
- Saturday Night at Chess Cinemas | iBankCoin.com
- Market’s Bill of Health – Momentum Continues to Weaken | Financial Sense
- Gold Edging Closer to Long-Term Bearish; Beware of Blind Spots! | Financial Sense
- Ex Greek FinMin Warns "Europe's North-South Divide Has Become A Time Bomb" | ZeroHedge
- Gold: A Chance for a Bottom | Financial Sense
- The Midas Formula | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 14 Incredibly Awkward Google Street View Photos | Business Insider
- Why Plug Power (PLUG) Will Power Through Thursday | TheStreet.com
- How the iPad Air Won Black Friday and Cyber Monday | TheStreet.com
- Top 10 News for 12/02 - 12/06:... | StreetInsider.com
- Here's How Hot Startups Help Employees Cash Out Before An IPO | Business Insider
- Apple, China Mobile Deal Close, But Not Done (Update 2) | TheStreet.com
- A Congressman Helped Push The Air Force To Keep Using Aircraft It Didn't Even... | Business Insider