Covered Call Picks (NTAP,CLF,CSCO,NVDA,CMCSA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NTAP||NetApp Inc||35.4||35.5||1.6||4.50%||February 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||36.6||37||1||2.60%||February 2013|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||21||21||0.5||2.50%||February 2013|
|NVDA||Nvidia Corp||12.4||12.5||0.3||2.50%||February 2013|
|CMCSA||Comcast Corp||39||39||0.7||1.80%||February 2013|
NetApp Inc (NTAP) is currently trading at $35.41. Its 52 week range is between $26.26 and $46.8.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $36.61. Its 52 week range is between $28.05 and $74.43.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $20.97. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.34.
Nvidia Corp (NVDA) is currently trading at $12.43. Its 52 week range is between $11.15 and $16.9.
Comcast Corp (CMCSA) is currently trading at $38.97. Its 52 week range is between $26.93 and $40.28.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "It's Not Abenomics, It's The Weather" Japanese Econ Minister Admits Growth Is Weak | ZeroHedge
- Plunging Oil Prices a Game-Changer for Major Pipeline Projects | Financial Sense
- The Magic Number Is Revealed: It Costs Central Banks $200 Billion Per Quarter To Avoid A Market Crash | ZeroHedge
- MeaT THe FaRCeSToNeS... | ZeroHedge
- End of U.S. Dollar Hegemony - Not | Financial Sense
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself” | Altucher Confidential
- Stocks, Bond Yields Drop After Rosengren-IBM-Oil Triple-Whammy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'I was Patient Zero of cyber-bulling', says... | Business Insider
- Cheika close to being named new Wallabies coach | Business Insider
- Canada raises 'terrorism' alert after soldier killed... | Business Insider
- Marc Andreessen Asks This Optimistic Question Every Time He Critiques A... | Business Insider
- Delta to Wall Street: Don't Tell Us How to Run Our Airline | TheStreet.com
- E-COMMERCE AND THE FUTURE OF RETAIL: 2014 [SLIDE DECK] | Business Insider
- Welcome To Ranger School, Where The Army's Toughest Soldiers Are Made... | Business Insider