Covered Call Picks (NTAP,CLF,CSCO,NVDA,CMCSA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NTAP||NetApp Inc||35.4||35.5||1.6||4.50%||February 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||36.6||37||1||2.60%||February 2013|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||21||21||0.5||2.50%||February 2013|
|NVDA||Nvidia Corp||12.4||12.5||0.3||2.50%||February 2013|
|CMCSA||Comcast Corp||39||39||0.7||1.80%||February 2013|
NetApp Inc (NTAP) is currently trading at $35.41. Its 52 week range is between $26.26 and $46.8.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $36.61. Its 52 week range is between $28.05 and $74.43.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $20.97. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.34.
Nvidia Corp (NVDA) is currently trading at $12.43. Its 52 week range is between $11.15 and $16.9.
Comcast Corp (CMCSA) is currently trading at $38.97. Its 52 week range is between $26.93 and $40.28.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Earnings On Deck | iBankCoin.com
- The Full Audio Recording Of Varoufakis' Drachma Plan B | ZeroHedge
- American Automakers High Exposure In China Is Not Good; Here's Why | ZeroHedge
- Great Graphic: China’s Holding of Treasuries | Financial Sense
- The Irony Of Market Manipulation | ZeroHedge
- Concerned About "Treason" Charges, Varoufakis Issues Public Statement On "Cloak And Dagger" Drachma "Plan B" | ZeroHedge
- Algos Vigorously Defend Crucial S&P 500 Support, Dow Hits 6-Month Lows | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why saving the big bank that Republicans want to kill is a no-... | Business Insider
- Obama begins Ethiopia, African Union visit | Business Insider
- How Turkey’s decision to join the fight against... | Business Insider
- Giant air-sucking machines could be the solution to Earth's scary carbon... | Business Insider
- Here's your complete preview of this week's big economic events | Business Insider
- Stocks are getting smoked (SPY, DJI, IXIC, GLD, GLX, USO, WTI, OIL, VDE) | Business Insider
- Nike is giving... | Business Insider