Covered Call Picks (NTAP,CLF,CSCO,NVDA,CMCSA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NTAP||NetApp Inc||35.4||35.5||1.6||4.50%||February 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||36.6||37||1||2.60%||February 2013|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||21||21||0.5||2.50%||February 2013|
|NVDA||Nvidia Corp||12.4||12.5||0.3||2.50%||February 2013|
|CMCSA||Comcast Corp||39||39||0.7||1.80%||February 2013|
NetApp Inc (NTAP) is currently trading at $35.41. Its 52 week range is between $26.26 and $46.8.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $36.61. Its 52 week range is between $28.05 and $74.43.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $20.97. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.34.
Nvidia Corp (NVDA) is currently trading at $12.43. Its 52 week range is between $11.15 and $16.9.
Comcast Corp (CMCSA) is currently trading at $38.97. Its 52 week range is between $26.93 and $40.28.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fed's Kocherlakota Explains Why He Wants Moar | ZeroHedge
- Fed Launches First Currency War Salvo, Tells ECB Not To Push Too Far | ZeroHedge
- The Halloween Yen Massacre Sends Market To All-Time Highs | ZeroHedge
- Starting Off Strong: Goldman Slashes Q4 GDP Estimate From 3.0% To 2.2% | ZeroHedge
- The Colder War: How the Global Energy Trade Slipped From America's Grasp | Financial Sense
- King Dollar Eating Everyone Else for Breakfast | iBankCoin.com
- U.S. Regulators Easing Mortgage Credit Requirements | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell | Business Insider
- F5 Networks CEO Explains Retirement, Says Growth Trends Are Intact | TheStreet.com
- Instagram Was Down, But Now It's Back | Business Insider
- Burkina parliament set ablaze in protests over president... | Business Insider
- Iraqi peshmerga groups link up in Turkey border town: AFP... | Business Insider
- Royal Bank of Scotland sets aside £400m for forex probes | Business Insider
- Rand Paul Explains Why The GOP Brand 'Sucks'... | Business Insider