Covered Call Picks (NTAP,CLF,CSCO,NVDA,CMCSA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NTAP||NetApp Inc||35.4||35.5||1.6||4.50%||February 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||36.6||37||1||2.60%||February 2013|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||21||21||0.5||2.50%||February 2013|
|NVDA||Nvidia Corp||12.4||12.5||0.3||2.50%||February 2013|
|CMCSA||Comcast Corp||39||39||0.7||1.80%||February 2013|
NetApp Inc (NTAP) is currently trading at $35.41. Its 52 week range is between $26.26 and $46.8.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $36.61. Its 52 week range is between $28.05 and $74.43.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $20.97. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.34.
Nvidia Corp (NVDA) is currently trading at $12.43. Its 52 week range is between $11.15 and $16.9.
Comcast Corp (CMCSA) is currently trading at $38.97. Its 52 week range is between $26.93 and $40.28.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Don Coxe: Bull Market in Bonds Now Ending - Risks Ahead | Financial Sense
- Poroshenko Threatens To Declare Martial Law In Ukraine Within Hours "To Demonstrate Readiness For War" | ZeroHedge
- The Leading And Most "Distinctive" Causes Of Death In Your State | ZeroHedge
- Easy?! | Financial Sense
- The Global Economy As Seen From "The Man In The Moon" | ZeroHedge
- Is Greece Still a Country if Someone Else Owns Its Assets? | Financial Sense
- "Welcome To The Contraction": Q1 GDP Drops By 0.7%, Corporate Profits Crash | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Your Instagram feed is about to get flooded with sunset pics —... | Business Insider
- How Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson went from WWE wrestler to Hollywood's box-office... | Business Insider
- What the government needs to do to stop Wall Street crime... | Business Insider
- Mystery of holes in Swiss cheese cracked after a century | Business Insider
- Oil storage is so expensive it could derail the oil recovery (USO, WTI, OIL, VDE, BNO) | Business Insider
- Federer, Wawrinka advance a French Open | Business Insider
- NYC wants to crack down on Uber drivers using their phones while... | Business Insider