Covered Call Picks (NTAP,CLF,CSCO,NVDA,CMCSA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NTAP||NetApp Inc||35.4||35.5||1.6||4.50%||February 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||36.6||37||1||2.60%||February 2013|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||21||21||0.5||2.50%||February 2013|
|NVDA||Nvidia Corp||12.4||12.5||0.3||2.50%||February 2013|
|CMCSA||Comcast Corp||39||39||0.7||1.80%||February 2013|
NetApp Inc (NTAP) is currently trading at $35.41. Its 52 week range is between $26.26 and $46.8.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $36.61. Its 52 week range is between $28.05 and $74.43.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $20.97. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.34.
Nvidia Corp (NVDA) is currently trading at $12.43. Its 52 week range is between $11.15 and $16.9.
Comcast Corp (CMCSA) is currently trading at $38.97. Its 52 week range is between $26.93 and $40.28.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stocks Surge As ECB Expands QE Monetization Limits, Boost Purchase Threshold From 25% to 33% Per Issue | ZeroHedge
- Central Banks Nervous As Alternative Currency With David Bowie's Face Goes Viral | ZeroHedge
- Charting The Rise Of Bernie (And Demise Of Republicans) | ZeroHedge
- Zero Appetite For Risk | iBankCoin.com
- The China Slowdown: Who Loses in the Middle East? | Financial Sense
- JPM Head Quant Is Back With New Warning: "Only Half The Selling Is Done; Expect More Downside" | ZeroHedge
- The Letter That Stock Exchanges Should Write To Investors | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Forest Service spends a record $243 million on wildfires | Business Insider
- Ebola transmissions over in Liberia, enters 90-day watch | Business Insider
- Harbaugh's here! Michigan's most interesting man... | Business Insider
- Anti-government protests resume in Burundi | Business Insider
- Donald Trump is rapidly becoming one of the most polarizing candidates in recent memory... | Business Insider
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos | Business Insider
- 2 cases of polio found in Ukraine, caused by mutated virus... | Business Insider