Covered Call Picks (NTAP,CLF,CSCO,NVDA,CMCSA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NTAP||NetApp Inc||35.4||35.5||1.6||4.50%||February 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||36.6||37||1||2.60%||February 2013|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||21||21||0.5||2.50%||February 2013|
|NVDA||Nvidia Corp||12.4||12.5||0.3||2.50%||February 2013|
|CMCSA||Comcast Corp||39||39||0.7||1.80%||February 2013|
NetApp Inc (NTAP) is currently trading at $35.41. Its 52 week range is between $26.26 and $46.8.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $36.61. Its 52 week range is between $28.05 and $74.43.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $20.97. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.34.
Nvidia Corp (NVDA) is currently trading at $12.43. Its 52 week range is between $11.15 and $16.9.
Comcast Corp (CMCSA) is currently trading at $38.97. Its 52 week range is between $26.93 and $40.28.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Circadian Rhythms and the Microbiome | Financial Sense
- How Twitter Bots Affected the US Presidential Campaign | Financial Sense
- "A Generation That Has Never Been Told 'No'" Daniel Hannan Destroys Anti-Trump Protestors' Safe Spaces | ZeroHedge
- Stanford Study Reveals California Pensions Underfunded By $1 Trillion Or $93k Per Household | ZeroHedge
- Why Trump Will Be Unable To Save The American Coal Industry | ZeroHedge
- Stagnation and the OECD's Solution | Financial Sense
- “Fake News” Has Been a Problem for Thousands of Years … Here’s How to Stop It | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- At least nine dead in California warehouse fire | Business Insider
- Twitter just lost another key executive (TWTR) | Business Insider
- South Korea's president could face an impeachment vote as early... | Business Insider
- Chris Christie has reportedly expressed interest in becoming... | Business Insider
- China is stepping up its global power play | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Harness the power of the 'Ben Franklin Effect' to get someone to like you | Business Insider