Covered Call Picks (NTAP,CLF,CSCO,NVDA,CMCSA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NTAP||NetApp Inc||35.4||35.5||1.6||4.50%||February 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||36.6||37||1||2.60%||February 2013|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||21||21||0.5||2.50%||February 2013|
|NVDA||Nvidia Corp||12.4||12.5||0.3||2.50%||February 2013|
|CMCSA||Comcast Corp||39||39||0.7||1.80%||February 2013|
NetApp Inc (NTAP) is currently trading at $35.41. Its 52 week range is between $26.26 and $46.8.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $36.61. Its 52 week range is between $28.05 and $74.43.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $20.97. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.34.
Nvidia Corp (NVDA) is currently trading at $12.43. Its 52 week range is between $11.15 and $16.9.
Comcast Corp (CMCSA) is currently trading at $38.97. Its 52 week range is between $26.93 and $40.28.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- LME Hands Gold Banks License to Print Money | ZeroHedge
- Eight Reasons Why The Dutch Election Matters | ZeroHedge
- Dallas Police Pension Board Approves Benefit Cuts; Asks For More Taxpayer Money To Avoid Collapse | ZeroHedge
- 45 Trillion Reasons Why Gary Cohn Has Recused Himself From All Goldman Matters | ZeroHedge
- Retired Green Beret Exposes How Secretive Non-Profit Organizations Erode The United States | ZeroHedge
- Is it Autumn 2007 All Over Again? | ZeroHedge
- Why Global GDP Is Converging Towards 1% | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- There's one Tesla product that I'll definitely buy as soon as possible — and... | Business Insider
- The 25 best beaches in the world | Business Insider
- Sean Spicer gave an ominous warning to the marijuana... | Business Insider
- 5 ways to be more persuasive, from a communication expert who's coached over 3,000... | Business Insider
- 'Scumbags organized around making money': California congresswoman calls... | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett's 5 largest holdings | Business Insider
- Marine Le Pen's aide is charged in 'fake jobs... | Business Insider