Covered Call Picks (NTAP,CLF,CSCO,NVDA,CMCSA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NTAP||NetApp Inc||35.4||35.5||1.6||4.50%||February 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||36.6||37||1||2.60%||February 2013|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||21||21||0.5||2.50%||February 2013|
|NVDA||Nvidia Corp||12.4||12.5||0.3||2.50%||February 2013|
|CMCSA||Comcast Corp||39||39||0.7||1.80%||February 2013|
NetApp Inc (NTAP) is currently trading at $35.41. Its 52 week range is between $26.26 and $46.8.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $36.61. Its 52 week range is between $28.05 and $74.43.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $20.97. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.34.
Nvidia Corp (NVDA) is currently trading at $12.43. Its 52 week range is between $11.15 and $16.9.
Comcast Corp (CMCSA) is currently trading at $38.97. Its 52 week range is between $26.93 and $40.28.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Cuba Inc. – Long Way to Go Before Opening to the Free Market | Financial Sense
- Leaked Troika Documents Show Greece Needs Huge Debt Relief | ZeroHedge
- I’m Not Buying | iBankCoin.com
- First-Time Homebuyers Are Jumping Back in the Market | Financial Sense
- "What If Berlin And Frankfurt Do Not Budge" - How Varoufakis Saw The "Worst Case Scenario" | ZeroHedge
- A Look at Greek Contagion Risk | Financial Sense
- CHOKING ON MY OWN BLACK SMOKE | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- VAROUFAKIS CONFIRMS: Greece will not pay the IMF today (GREK, EUR) | Business Insider
- Greece isn't panicking about capital controls because millions of people... | Business Insider
- A Monopoly movie is in the works and the plot sounds even more ridiculous than the movie... | Business Insider
- European manufacturing is holding steady | Business Insider
- Here come ADP private payrolls ... | Business Insider
- 28 dead in attack on Shiites in Yemen claimed by IS | Business Insider
- There may be a way to 'turn off' chronic diseases with electricity — and it... | Business Insider