Covered Call Picks (NTAP,CLF,CSCO,NVDA,CMCSA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NTAP||NetApp Inc||35.4||35.5||1.6||4.50%||February 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||36.6||37||1||2.60%||February 2013|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||21||21||0.5||2.50%||February 2013|
|NVDA||Nvidia Corp||12.4||12.5||0.3||2.50%||February 2013|
|CMCSA||Comcast Corp||39||39||0.7||1.80%||February 2013|
NetApp Inc (NTAP) is currently trading at $35.41. Its 52 week range is between $26.26 and $46.8.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $36.61. Its 52 week range is between $28.05 and $74.43.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $20.97. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.34.
Nvidia Corp (NVDA) is currently trading at $12.43. Its 52 week range is between $11.15 and $16.9.
Comcast Corp (CMCSA) is currently trading at $38.97. Its 52 week range is between $26.93 and $40.28.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Your Last Minute Payrolls Preview: What Wall Street Expects | ZeroHedge
- German Professor Says All Students Should Be Required To Learn Arabic | ZeroHedge
- Have Stocks Priced In A Recession? (Spolier Alert: Not Even Close) | ZeroHedge
- Facebook's War On Freedom Of Speech | ZeroHedge
- Pros & Cons Of Obama's $10/Barrel Oil Tax | ZeroHedge
- What Kind of Power Will China Become? | Financial Sense
- Why Europe's Great Experiment Is Failing | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Steve Cohen's hedge fund is investing big time in trading talent | Business Insider
- This unusual coffee is the most popular drink at Toby's... | Business Insider
- Tim Cook says Apple is considering bringing its software services to... | Business Insider
- The 11 strangest things you can actually bet on for the Super Bowl | Business Insider
- Kurt Russell destroyed a priceless 145-year-old... | Business Insider
- One sentence reveals how teen Generation Z is killing Gap,... | Business Insider
- Astronaut Edgar Mitchell, the sixth man to walk on the moon... | Business Insider