Covered Call Picks (NTAP,CLF,CSCO,NVDA,CMCSA)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|NTAP||NetApp Inc||35.4||35.5||1.6||4.50%||February 2013|
|CLF||Cliffs Natural Resources Inc||36.6||37||1||2.60%||February 2013|
|CSCO||Cisco Systems Inc||21||21||0.5||2.50%||February 2013|
|NVDA||Nvidia Corp||12.4||12.5||0.3||2.50%||February 2013|
|CMCSA||Comcast Corp||39||39||0.7||1.80%||February 2013|
NetApp Inc (NTAP) is currently trading at $35.41. Its 52 week range is between $26.26 and $46.8.
Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF) is currently trading at $36.61. Its 52 week range is between $28.05 and $74.43.
Cisco Systems Inc (CSCO) is currently trading at $20.97. Its 52 week range is between $14.96 and $21.34.
Nvidia Corp (NVDA) is currently trading at $12.43. Its 52 week range is between $11.15 and $16.9.
Comcast Corp (CMCSA) is currently trading at $38.97. Its 52 week range is between $26.93 and $40.28.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- U.S. Warms to Clean Energy | Financial Sense
- New Technology Could End The Debate Over Pipeline Safety | ZeroHedge
- Can a National Quasi-Religion (Pro Sports) Go Broke? | Financial Sense
- Who Is Short Treasurys? (Spoiler: Pretty Much Everyone) | ZeroHedge
- Summarizing The West's Russia-Ukraine Propaganda | ZeroHedge
- Latin America: The Clouds May Be Clearing | Financial Sense
- Obama Makes Another Ukraine Statement: Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A Design Company Built A Working Version Of An 'iPhone 6' Based On Leaked... | Business Insider
- Support for Scottish independence growing, poll shows | Business Insider
- The 10 Most Important Things In The World Right Now | Business Insider
- Japan defence ministry asks for record budget | Business Insider
- Trading Radar for 9/2:... | StreetInsider.com
- NATO TO RUSSIA: Cease Your 'Illegal Military Actions' In... | Business Insider
- Twitter Now Shows You Exactly How Many People See Your Tweets — And It's... | Business Insider