Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Comes After the Trump Rally? | Financial Sense
- December Macro Update: Employment Growth Is Decelerating | Financial Sense
- Draghi’s Risk Is He Speaks And No One Listens | ZeroHedge
- A New Look - NYSE Margin Debt and the Market | Financial Sense
- Trump Blasts Steelworkers Union Boss: "Spend More Time Working-Less Time Talking. Reduce Dues" | ZeroHedge
- Presenting SocGen's "Most Frightening Credit Chart" | ZeroHedge
- Saxo Bank's 10 Outrageous Predictions For 2017: Brexit Never Happens, Bitcoin Surges, Fed Folds | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Westworld' star Jeffrey Wright weighs in on a bold new fan theory... | Business Insider
- LeBron James was so bored against the Knicks he was doing the water-bottle... | Business Insider
- Soon-to-be 'first kid' Barron Trump will continue at his... | Business Insider
- 27 smart things to do with your holiday bonus | Business Insider
- There will be 24 billion IoT devices installed on Earth... | Business Insider
- Peter Thiel is trying to save the world: The apocalyptic theory behind his... | Business Insider
- Facebook is tapping college students to fight... | Business Insider