Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Blistering 7 Year Auction Stops Through, Driven By Surge In Foreign Central Bank Demand | ZeroHedge
- Krugman's Solution Is "The Fiscal Equivalent Of War" - Japan Agrees | ZeroHedge
- Did Bernie Sanders Just Go Full Establishment? | ZeroHedge
- Volume Collapses As China Commodity Exchanges Ordered To "Curb Speculation" | ZeroHedge
- America's Entitled (And Doomed) Upper Middle Class | ZeroHedge
- Why 'Good' Jobs Matter (In 1 Recovery-Crushing Chart) | ZeroHedge
- SEC Begins Crack Down On Non-GAAP Accounting Gimmicks | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- eBay struggles continue after Q1 earnings report (EBAY) | Business Insider
- A former Google exec who now runs her own company says too many... | Business Insider
- 4 powerful public speaking tips from TED curator Chris... | Business Insider
- This 'virtual employee' is proof that the robot takeover is upon us | Business Insider
- The iPhone's decline is here | Business Insider
- Facebook crushes expectations, stock soars (FB) | Business Insider
- This fox has the lowest genetic... | Business Insider