Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Draghi Now Has All the Ammunition He Needs for QE - Implementation Still a Problem | Financial Sense
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Increased Again in November | Financial Sense
- Meet Joe Lewis - The $200 Million "British Madoff" | ZeroHedge
- What Are Technical Indicators Saying About the Market? | Financial Sense
- Police Reportedly Rage, De Blasio's "Hands Are Dripping With Blood" | ZeroHedge
- Spotlight on the Fed | Financial Sense
- Things That Make You Go Hmmm... Like A 'Run' On The Gold 'Bank' | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 5 Awesome Google Features You Didn't Know About | Business Insider
- The Sony Hackers Just Pranked The FBI | Business Insider
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- Microsoft Plans A Virtual Reality Headset For Xbox One... | Business Insider
- For Russia's economy, the worst is yet to come | Business Insider
- Will Lower Oil Prices Threaten Whiting Petroleum, the New King of Bakken? | TheStreet.com
- Here's Why You Should Never Let Your Kids Play With Your Smartphone | Business Insider