Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- QE’s Seeds Are Already Sown | ZeroHedge
- Gold Prices Sink 3% to 4-Year Low | Financial Sense
- Algos Please Ignore: Citi Slashes Previously Reported Net Income Due To "Legal Investigations" Over FX Rigging Probe | ZeroHedge
- Hillary Clinton: "Businesses Don't Create Jobs" – Why She's Never Been More Wrong | ZeroHedge
- Starting Off Strong: Goldman Slashes Q4 GDP Estimate From 3.0% To 2.2% | ZeroHedge
- Why Did Q3 GDP Jump: Thank ISIS And The "War On Terror" | ZeroHedge
- Why I Don't Really Care About Your Product | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Starbucks Will Start Delivering Coffee And Food | Business Insider
- Australia Wants To Approve A Really Horrible Policy For Cutting... | Business Insider
- Colsaerts gets out big guns to take Shanghai lead | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- One Stock Is Responsible For 109 Points Of The Dow Rally | Business Insider
- 5 Things You Need To Do If You're In Customer Service | Business Insider
- Army seizes power in Burkina Faso after protests | Business Insider