Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Either Banks Are Cheap... Or The Market's Gonna Crash | ZeroHedge
- Deutsche Desperation & Twist Talk Save Stock Sheep From Slaughter | ZeroHedge
- The Return Of Crisis | ZeroHedge
- US Investment Grade Credit Risk Spikes To 5-Year Highs | ZeroHedge
- Sweden Arrests 14 For Plotting To Attack Migrant House With Axes, Iron Pipes | ZeroHedge
- Credit Better Be Wrong This Time | ZeroHedge
- Deutsche Bank Selling Resumes After CEO Assures Employees Bank Is "Absolutely Rock Solid" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China is buying up companies around the world at a record rate — and it'... | Business Insider
- Obama is asking for $19 billion for cybersecurity... | Business Insider
- The guy who blew the whistle on Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme says... | Business Insider
- A robot butler is replacing humans in some California hotels | Business Insider
- Lulu, the app that lets women secretly rate men, just got bought by the biggest dating company in... | Business Insider
- Broncos player who may have caused Cam Newton to storm out of a... | Business Insider
- HEDGE FUND MANAGER: Cord-cutting isn't going to kill Comcast (CMCSA) | Business Insider