Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The ECB Is Considering A Parallel Greek Currency | ZeroHedge
- Bonds Drop, Dollar Pops After Hotter-Than-Expected Inflation | ZeroHedge
- This Technical Signaled The Last Two Market Crashes And It Just Happened | ZeroHedge
- Early Q1 Reports Come In | Financial Sense
- Chicago Credit Risk Soars On Rahm Emanuel's Re-Election | ZeroHedge
- World Ponders Life After US Hegemony | ZeroHedge
- China Sees Largest Capital Outflow In Three Years Amid Currency Conundrum | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- US seeking to allay Gulf fears amid regional chaos | Business Insider
- UN says 'differences' emerge in Libya peace talks | Business Insider
- 'Isis' will no longer be used to name hurricanes | Business Insider
- A British crew recovered £34 million worth of silver coins... | Business Insider
- The 'Batman V Superman' trailer hints at a major villain | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- Phelps caps comeback meet with storming 100m free win | Business Insider