Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- My #1, Back Up the Truck Now, Idea | iBankCoin.com
- Su-27 Fighter Jet Above Kramatorsk Caught On Tape | ZeroHedge
- Q1 Earnings in Focus | Financial Sense
- Is The Fed Fabricating Loan Creation Data? | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: The Slow Death Of The Old Global Order | ZeroHedge
- Fourth Anniversary of Gulf Oil Spill: Wildlife Is Still Suffering from Toxic Cover Up | ZeroHedge
- Current Holdings | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- 22 Astounding Facts About Alibaba, The Giant Chinese E-Commerce Company Yahoo Depends Upon | Business Insider
- Why Google Is Making Massive, Crazy Bets On Drones And Robots (GOOG) | Business Insider
- GM CEO Mary Barra Launches Product Integrity Group | TheStreet.com
- E-COMMERCE INSIDER:... | Business Insider
- Why Latin America Is So Violent | Business Insider
- Samsung Is About To Mess With The Winning Formula That Made It Dominant | Business Insider