Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- European Taxpayers Now On The Hook For Junk Debt As ECB Bond-Buying Debacle Builds | ZeroHedge
- Air Force Chief Foresees Decades More US Wars | ZeroHedge
- A Realist's View Of The US Presidential Contest | ZeroHedge
- Moody’s: The M&A Market Is Flashing a Red Warning Sign | Financial Sense
- Driverless Vehicles Coming Faster than You Think | Financial Sense
- Gold Market in Crisis, Risks Collapse: LBMA | Financial Sense
- Third Wave Of Internet Cyber Attacks Lauched, Dyn Warns | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Steve Ballmer didn't want Microsoft to buy... | Business Insider
- Psychiatrists use an old trick to get people to trust them with their secrets — and it works just as well in business... | Business Insider
- At least one state is training poll workers to... | Business Insider
- Venezuelan opposition leaders say they've been banned... | Business Insider
- Millennials told JPMorgan they want to retire by 60, but they're... | Business Insider
- We did a blind taste test of Pizza Hut, Domino's, and Papa John's pizza —... | Business Insider
- Emptying your inbox might feel good, but it's not making you any more successful... | Business Insider