Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- GMO's James Montier Skewers Bridgewater: Risk Parity = "Snake Oil In New Bottles" | ZeroHedge
- Great Graphic: Eurozone Output PMI and GDP | Financial Sense
- 700 Years of Government Bond Yields | ZeroHedge
- Asymmetrical Bubbles | ZeroHedge
- The Fed Turns 100: A Survey of the Critics | ZeroHedge
- The Kress Cycle and the Fate of the Middle Class | Financial Sense
- U.S. Military Changes Drone Rules To Make Targeting Of Civilians Easier | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Watch How These Cancer Patients Reacted To Getting Hilariously Awful... | Business Insider
- An Incredible Streak Of Job Creation In The Healthcare Industry Recently Came To An End... | Business Insider
- Here's The Perfectly Sparse Interior Of The All-New Ford Mustang [PHOTOS] | Business Insider
- A Pizza Company Was An Online Hero Last Night During 'The Sound of Music... | Business Insider
- Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) Is Water-Logged And Getting Wetter Today | TheStreet.com
- Look What Happened... | Business Insider
- The Dealership That Sold A Tesla For Bitcoin Wants To Make More Digital Deals | Business Insider