Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The G-30 Group Of Central Bankers Warn They Can "No Longer Save The World" | ZeroHedge
- The Final Crescendo of Cognitive Dollar Dissonance and the Remonetization of Gold | Financial Sense
- Buy The Fear (And You Will Be Protected From The Horror) | ZeroHedge
- By This Metric, We Are Already In A Global Recession," HSBC Warns | ZeroHedge
- Obama Defends The Failure Of His Syria Policy Before A Belligerent 60 Minutes | ZeroHedge
- 8 Cities That Have Replaced Columbus Day With Indigenous Peoples Day | ZeroHedge
- Gold for Bear Market? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- CFOs are increasingly outsourcing these jobs to consultants | Business Insider
- The Garden Gem is one of the very best tasting tomatoes — but you... | Business Insider
- Scottish economist Angus Deaton wins Nobel economics... | Business Insider
- Ex-M&S boss heads UK pro-EU group, says Brexit too risky... | Business Insider
- Chiefs RB Charles done for season with knee injury | Business Insider
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (AAPL, GOOG, EMC) | Business Insider