Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Who Really Lost This Week's Presidential Debate? America Did! | ZeroHedge
- Julian Robertson: "Janet Yellen Has Created A Serious Bubble And Pain Is Coming" | ZeroHedge
- Obama Humiliated: For The First Time, Congress Votes To Override President's "Sept 11" Bill Veto | ZeroHedge
- IRS Report Reveals How Obamacare "Spread [$11 Billion] Of Wealth Around" | ZeroHedge
- How Republicans Rob People Of Their Right To Vote | ZeroHedge
- Janet Yellen On The Fed Buying Stocks: "Maybe In The Future, Down The Line..." | ZeroHedge
- Stocks Slammed: S&P Gives Up OPEC Gains Despite Oil's Rally | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These are the best concept cars we have seen this year | Business Insider
- Stocks jump after report of OPEC deal (USO, WTI, OIL, VDE, XOM) | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- This genius iPhone 7 case would give you back the headphone jack Apple removed | Business Insider
- The currency that everyone is suddenly talking about isn't just getting... | Business Insider
- Why airplanes still have ashtrays in the bathroom | Business Insider
- Iran's atomic energy chief says he sees no threat to nuclear deal if Trump... | Business Insider