Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Talkin’ and Yellen: Understanding the Fed | Financial Sense
- Texas Town First of Many to Switch to 100% Renewable Power | Financial Sense
- Crude Oil Inventories Should Peak Soon | Financial Sense
- Watch the Internals for Tickery | iBankCoin.com
- Gold In Fed Vault Drops Under 6,000 Tons For The First Time, After 10th Consecutive Month Of Redemptions | ZeroHedge
- Biotechnology Won | iBankCoin.com
- Shooting Reported At Gate Of NSA Headquarters In Fort Meade - Live Stream | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Apple could sell 1 million watches opening weekend,... | Business Insider
- Europe's consumers are at their most bullish since 2007 | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Why Russia suddenly wants to supply cheap gas to Ukraine | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- International Cricket Council names World Cup XI | Business Insider
- Air strike kills at least 15 at camp for Yemen... | Business Insider