Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Arctic Drilling Future Now Rests On One Well | ZeroHedge
- Crude Carnage Continues - WTI Hits $55 Handle, Brent Tests $60 | ZeroHedge
- Japan’s Yen Has Only Begun to Fall | Financial Sense
- Rosenberg on Greece, US Economy, and Stocks | Financial Sense
- Happy Independence Day, Brought To You By The Chinese | ZeroHedge
- Gold Bullion Dealer Unexpectedly "Suspends Operations" Due To "Significant Transactional Delays" | ZeroHedge
- Earnings Preview - Second Quarter 2015 | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Crying Greek pensioner: the story behind the poignant... | Business Insider
- Here's what the first Blackberry to run on... | Business Insider
- Republican presidential candidate Lindsey Graham has a stark warning for... | Business Insider
- QUIZ: How well do you know the Statue Of Liberty? | Business Insider
- ISIS video purports to show mass execution of Syrian soldiers in historic... | Business Insider
- Exactly what you need to know to choose Apple Music or Spotify in one... | Business Insider
- How to fight off a shark attack | Business Insider