Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Conservative Koch Brothers Urge Resistance As Trump Faces Pivotal Obamacare Vote Tomorrow | ZeroHedge
- A Look at the Yield Curve and Why the Fed Is Raising Rates | Financial Sense
- Global Stocks, US Futures Rebound Ahead Of Critical Obamacare Repeal Vote, Yellen Speech | ZeroHedge
- Major Bull Sees Much Smaller Returns for 2017 | Financial Sense
- London Attacker Was UK-Born, Previously Investigated By UK Spies Over "Violent Extremism", May Says | ZeroHedge
- The True Legacy Of David Rockefeller | ZeroHedge
- "Trump Trade 1.0" Is Over - Why It Will Take Some Time To Ship Version 2.0 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- WHERE ARE THEY NOW? Michigan's legendary Fab 5 team | Business Insider
- I tried meditating for a year and a half, but nothing worked until I tried this app | Business Insider
- Theo Epstein on being named world's top leader: 'I can't even get... | Business Insider
- The Navy and Marine Corps are considering mandatory separation for troops... | Business Insider
- Paul Ryan's legacy as speaker is on the line with the GOP... | Business Insider
- Take That's Gary Barlow on the music industry... | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek