Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Building Explosion And Collapse Reported On Park Avenue In Harlem, People Trapped - Live Webcast | ZeroHedge
- Fly Buys: $WDAY, $FEYE | iBankCoin.com
- Payrolls Up 175K, Jobless Rate Climbs to 6.7% | Financial Sense
- Do Equities (and Real Estate) Give You Inflation Protection? | Financial Sense
- A Divergence Among Nasdaq 100 Stocks | Financial Sense
- Jeff Gundlach's "What Hath QE Wrought" Webcast | ZeroHedge
- Earnings Season in the Rearview Mirror | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 3 Ways To Say 'No' At Work Without Burning Bridges | Business Insider
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Is On The Rise In The US | Business Insider
- Struggling Jive Software Might Be Looking For A Buyer (JIVE) | Business Insider
- It Was A Terrible Night For Democrats | Business Insider
- THE DOW FALLS: Here's What You Need To Know (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ) | Business Insider
- The Top 30 Free Agents In The NFL | Business Insider
- The Top 10 Medical Schools In The U.S. | Business Insider