Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What If Only Taxpayers Voted? | ZeroHedge
- Is the UK Economy Doing Better Post-Brexit? | Financial Sense
- A Typical Pattern Shows We’re Headed for Recession | Financial Sense
- "I’ve Never Seen Anything Like This Before" - The Housing Markets In The Hamptons, Aspen And Miami Are All Crashing | ZeroHedge
- Mission Creep - How The Fed Will Justify Maintaining Its Excessive Balance Sheet | ZeroHedge
- Navigating The Fracturing Global Macro Landscape With Worth Wray | ZeroHedge
- As Vancouver's Housing Market Implodes, Furious Chinese Envoy Slams Real Estate Tax | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 4 myths about relationships | Business Insider
- Get a car mount for your phone for only $4 — and more of today's best... | Business Insider
- 18 surprising negotiating tricks to help boost your salary | Business Insider
- A glitch is ruining 'Madden NFL 17' for some players | Business Insider
- Non-Western powers are muscling in on Middle East... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- A dispute involving Michael J. Fox... | Business Insider