Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Why "Average Joe" Will Never Do Well In The Stock Market | ZeroHedge
- Israel Refuses To Pay Old Oil Debt To Iran | ZeroHedge
- China Sets Up Gold Investment Fund For Central Banks | ZeroHedge
- Kunstler: There Are Only 2 Choices For The Masses - "Doomer" Or "Wisher" | ZeroHedge
- Do You Smell Smoke? | ZeroHedge
- Crude Carnage Continues - WTI Hits 1-Month Low | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Sachs Predicting $45 Oil by October | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The ultimate status symbol among the millionaire moms of the Upper East Side... | Business Insider
- Which Is America's Best City? | BusinessWeek
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- Norwich down Middlesbrough to win promotion jackpot | Business Insider
- Some women would go to hell and back to pay $10,000 or more for a pocketbook | Business Insider
- How one startup wants to solve an 'insane' problem for a $400 billion... | Business Insider
- 'Peacemaker' Ancelotti dismissed by ruthless Madrid | Business Insider