Covered Call Picks (GMCR,KERX,HLF,KORS,NFLX)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $48.94. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
Keryx Biopharmaceuticals Inc (KERX) is currently trading at $6.73. Its 52 week range is between $1.28 and $9.98.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $35.79. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $55.87. Its 52 week range is between $31.75 and $60.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $184.41. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $177.89.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- President Obama Delivers More Remarks - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- There Are Limits to My Depravity | iBankCoin.com
- The U.S. National Debt Has Grown By More Than A Trillion Dollars In The Last 12 Months | ZeroHedge
- Playing the Fed | iBankCoin.com
- STTG Market Recap September 16, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- 47% of Chinese Billionaires Want to Leave China Within 5 Years | Financial Sense
- Citi Warns Moody's May Put France On Downgrade Review This Friday | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Sweeteners boost diabetes risk | Business Insider
- The White House Is Clarifying Its Top Military Officer's Suggestion... | Business Insider
- Minnesota Governor Calls For Vikings To Suspend Adrian Peterson... | Business Insider
- Wal-Mart China Accused Of Firing Workers Who Claimed The Company Was Selling Expired Food... | Business Insider
- Doc Offers Glimpse Into Arena Pharma Weight-Loss Combination Therapy | TheStreet.com
- Scottish Independence Could Indirectly Lead To The End Of Britain's... | Business Insider
- Forensic sleuths sketch Richard III's brutal end | Business Insider