Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Peak Gold? Goldman Calculates There Is Only 20 Years Of Gold Supply Left | ZeroHedge
- Driverless Cars Poised to Transform Automotive Industry | Financial Sense
- Futures Wipe Out Early Gains In Volatile Session As Dollar Resumes Climb; Oil Slides | ZeroHedge
- It's Official: Americans Spent All Their "Gas Savings" On Obamacare | ZeroHedge
- Janet Yellen To Discuss "The New Normal For Monetary Policy" | ZeroHedge
- Final Q4 GDP Unchanged At 2.2%, Below Expectations; Corporate Profits Tumble | ZeroHedge
- Police Gas Student Protesters In Quebec | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The co-pilot of Germanwings flight 9525 reportedly told his... | Business Insider
- Programmatic and real-time... | Business Insider
- Early morning dance parties take off in US | Business Insider
- Here's how Ellen Pao reacted to her loss | Business Insider
- 'The Walking Dead' may have teased one of the next big villains back in... | Business Insider
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (GOOG, AAPL, AMZN, YHOO, FB) | Business Insider
- Unboxing: The new Cheez-It Crunch'd Cheese Puffs | Business Insider