Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Bedlam" As Wasserman Schultz Boo'd, Heckled Off Stage By DNC Delegates | ZeroHedge
- Trump vs Clinton: How Will Energy Fare? | Financial Sense
- A Fully Automated Stock Market Blow-Off? | ZeroHedge
- First Italy, Now Portuguese Banks "Unexpectedly" Need A Taxpayer Bailout | ZeroHedge
- IMF's 'Competitiveness Drive' Leaves 127,000 Greeks Earnings Under $110 Per Month | ZeroHedge
- Loonie Hits 4-Month Lows As Oil Sinks | ZeroHedge
- Kotlikoff: America "Dead Broke" - $199 Trillion in the Red | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 6 effective leadership styles we can learn from 'Star Trek' | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Messaging apps are now bigger than social networks | Business Insider
- The next Republican battle for the presidency is already... | Business Insider
- Understand the payments industry in one hour with this report | Business Insider
- MORGAN STANLEY: These 7 stocks are going up soon | Business Insider
- This is how presidents-elect learn about covert operations before they’re sworn... | Business Insider