Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- ReTuRN oF THe STaTiST FaSCioNiSTaS... | ZeroHedge
- Germany ignored anti-terror tips, had intelligence agencies infiltrated by ISIS in 2016 | ZeroHedge
- Proposed Tax Changes and How to Benefit from Them | Financial Sense
- Secular Stagnation Theory: Challenge to DeLong, Summers, Bernanke, Krugman, Keen, Pettis, Edwards | Financial Sense
- Three People Shot Following MLK Parade In Miami | ZeroHedge
- Canadian Military's Second-In-Command Has Been Relieved Of Duty For Leaking Highly Classified Information | ZeroHedge
- Spotted In Davos: Anti-Drone Guns | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How to break free from the Apple ecosystem (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- These are the 10 safest low-cost airlines in the world for 2017 | Business Insider
- 20 strategies that will help you save $20,000 this year | Business Insider
- Here's what to do with your hands during a job interview | Business Insider
- The new era of payment processing will change everything | Business Insider
- Check out these cars GM created in the 1980s with tech decades ahead... | Business Insider