Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Implications for the Stock Market and Gold with a Yen Rally | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap Dec 18, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Viewing Russia From the Inside | Financial Sense
- Meet Joe Lewis - The $200 Million "British Madoff" | ZeroHedge
- This Factor Could Propel Gold Mining Stocks Much Higher In 2015 | ZeroHedge
- Red Flags in Russia | Financial Sense
- Dollar Bulls Regain Upper Hand | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's When All Your Favorite Shows Are Returning To TV | Business Insider
- The Crumbling Ruble And Sanctions Are Pushing... | Business Insider
- REVEALED: YouTube Star Bethany Mota Tells Us 2 Things Her Fans Don't... | Business Insider
- Tunisians vote for post-revolution president | Business Insider
- Here's Where People Are Using Apple Pay The Most (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Obama May Have Forced Sony To Release 'The Interview... | Business Insider
- Driver ploughs into pedestrians in France... | Business Insider