Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Threat Of Cyber War – “Other Reason To Own Physical Gold” – Rickards | ZeroHedge
- Busiest Day of Q2 Earnings Season | Financial Sense
- Deutsche Bank "Loses" LIBOR Chat Records; Will Try Hard To Find Them | ZeroHedge
- New York Mayor de Blasio Demands A Federal Bailout For Puerto Rico | ZeroHedge
- Dow 5000? Charles Nenner Discusses His Cycle Theory and Predictions for the Market | Financial Sense
- Chinese Stocks Drop, End Worst Month Since August 2009; US Equity Futures Flat | ZeroHedge
- "The Virtuous Emerging Market Cycle Is Turning Vicious" Albert Edwards Remembers The 1997 Asian Crisis | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Donald Trump is showing his staying power | Business Insider
- A new Apple TV is coming in September | Business Insider
- Putin just signed a decree ordering the... | Business Insider
- Refugees live in fear of German anti-foreigner protests | Business Insider
- Japanese firm to mature whisky in space | Business Insider
- How to make sure your Facebook is as secure as possible (FB) | Business Insider
- This man sells a kit that'll turn anyone into a '... | Business Insider