Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- NIRP Has Officially Arrived: Interactive Brokers Starts Charging 0.25% On Yen Cash Balances | ZeroHedge
- Leaked Docs Reveal TTIP Trade Deal In Jeopardy As "Irreconcilable Differences" Emerge | ZeroHedge
- "Gold Isn't An Investment - Gold Is Money" | ZeroHedge
- The Implications of Sino-US Trade Tensions | Financial Sense
- Wait Until You Get a Pitch Right Where You Want It! | Financial Sense
- Why We're So Unhealthy | ZeroHedge
- CSX Freight Train Derails In Washington D.C., 9 Cars Overturned, Hazardous Material Leaking | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Devastating photos offer a glimpse inside Syria's fiercest battleground — one of the 3... | Business Insider
- Traditional banks may be in trouble due to digital banking | Business Insider
- Astronomers found a way to avoid one of Stephen Hawking’s greatest fears... | Business Insider
- 7 signs you can't afford to buy a home | Business Insider
- Venezuela's president raised the minimum wage by 30% —... | Business Insider
- We tested Roku’s newest streaming dongle — and it’s clearly the best... | Business Insider
- This is the most impressive thing about Rolex, according to one of the only... | Business Insider