Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Unilever just Said About Consumers Around the World: “It’s Really Tough out There” | ZeroHedge
- 100% of Mainstream Interest Rate Theory Is Wrong | Financial Sense
- No Hard-Landing for China’s Economy for Now | Financial Sense
- It’s Important that You Retain This Information | iBankCoin.com
- Russell Napier Asks: "What Evidence Is There That QE Works?" | ZeroHedge
- You Asked For Market-Lifting Miracles Theo, I Give You Another NYSE Break | ZeroHedge
- The Idea Matrix – What Changed Everyone’s Life After “Choose Yourself” | Altucher Confidential
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Billionaires Are Reportedly Paying $4,000 For A Titanium Toothbrush | Business Insider
- Book Review: <em>Thinking, Fast and Slow</em> by Daniel Kahneman | BusinessWeek
- Pre-... | StreetInsider.com
- An Uber Campaign That Promised To Pair Customers With 'Hot... | Business Insider
- You Can't Understand Just How Big The Tesco Disaster Is Until You See How It Once... | Business Insider
- Giants' Hudson hungry for baseball World Series start | Business Insider
- Snapchat COO Emily White Wants To Make Ads Incredibly Obvious To Users | Business Insider