Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Bill Dudley's Hedge Fund Advisors Told Him About A September Rate Hike | ZeroHedge
- Dis-Integrating America | ZeroHedge
- Three Drivers of the Capital Markets in the Week Ahead | ZeroHedge
- Why The Recurring Economic Crises? | ZeroHedge
- The Dollar: Now What? | ZeroHedge
- The Future of the Internet Is at Risk | Financial Sense
- Guns, Drugs, & Booze: The Bipartisan Support For Prohibition | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- IndyCar drivers find comfort in getting back to work | Business Insider
- Obama defends Shell Arctic drilling decision | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- Thousands gather for rally urging Malaysian leader to quit... | Business Insider
- Immigrant suspect faces tough battle fighting murder... | Business Insider
- Orioles CF Jones in lineup a day after running into wall | Business Insider
- The Latest: Eaton leads by 165 after 6 events in decathlon... | Business Insider