Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Race to Diversify - Too Much Paper, Too Little Gold | Financial Sense
- When QE Leads To Deflation: A Look At The "Confounding" Global Supply Glut | ZeroHedge
- Is Greece About To "Lose" Its Gold Again? | ZeroHedge
- China Could Face "Sharp" Rise In Capital Outflows If Stocks, Economy Lose Momentum | ZeroHedge
- One Last Look At The Real Economy Before It Implodes - Part 6: Solutions | ZeroHedge
- Why Nav Sarao Had To Be Destroyed: He Found A Way To Beat The HFTs At Their Own Game | ZeroHedge
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Real Retail Sales | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Robbery saved 9 Greek climbers from Nepal quake | Business Insider
- Clashes rage in Yemen as calls for peace talks grow | Business Insider
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- Spurs keep Saints in check despite Pelle brace | Business Insider
- This probably kills all hope of being able to upgrade your Apple Watch when the next... | Business Insider
- Watch these scientists freak out when they encounter a rare whale | Business Insider
- Kenya's Kipchoge adds London title to marathon... | Business Insider