Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Saturday Night at Chess Cinemas | iBankCoin.com
- Thai Prime Minister Dissolves Parliament In Response To Protests, Calls For New Elections | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: The State Causes The Poverty It Later Claims To Solve | ZeroHedge
- And the Winner Is… | iBankCoin.com
- Guest Post: The Triumph Of "Ron Paul"-ism | ZeroHedge
- Japan Press: "China-Japan War To Break Out In January" | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: December 9 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Yes, We Should Extend Unemployment Benefits — Here's Why... | Business Insider
- It's Becoming Clear That Kim Jong-un Sacked His... | Business Insider
- Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) Is Water-Logged And Getting Wetter Today | TheStreet.com
- Trading... | StreetInsider.com
- Brazilian Soccer Game Devolves Into Wild Stadium-Wide Brawl [VIDEOS] | Business Insider
- Texas College Student Shot And Killed By Campus Police... | Business Insider
- Remember When That Watson Supercomputer Won Jeopardy? Here's What's Going On With It Lately... | Business Insider