Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Is The Gold Standard? | ZeroHedge
- Overwhelming Majority of Americans Believe that Both Parties Are Too Corrupt to Change Anything … Want a Revolution | ZeroHedge
- Bill Clinton: "Sometimes I Wish We Weren't Married" | ZeroHedge
- Computerized Trading Creating Oil Price Volatility | ZeroHedge
- Chart of the Day: Nonfarm Payrolls and Bank Tightening | Financial Sense
- Ep. 154 – Russell Simmons: How to Earn Your Worth | Altucher Confidential
- Panic-Buyers Spike Dow Over 200 Points At Open | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Mark Zuckerberg responds to Facebook's defeat in India (FB... | Business Insider
- This was the first smartwatch ever invented | Business Insider
- Donald Trump's closing message to New Hampshire: Vote even if you'... | Business Insider
- The crazy story of the man who fought for Finland, the Nazis, and US... | Business Insider
- UNILEVER CEO: The top 2% of society should help the other 98% | Business Insider
- Here's the tech hierarchy, based on market cap | Business Insider
- One type of commonly recommended insurance only makes sense for the... | Business Insider