Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Is the VIX Fear Index Telling Us Now? | Financial Sense
- Knife-Wielding Veteran Sniper Rushes White House, Wants To Warn Obama "Atmosphere Is Collapsing" | ZeroHedge
- Summarizing Obama's ISIS Strategy Endgame (In 1 Cartoon) | ZeroHedge
- HoNK To THe CHieF... | ZeroHedge
- Bubble Forming With Leveraged Buyouts | Financial Sense
- Can the Economy Withstand Another Housing Breakdown? | Financial Sense
- Saturday Night at Chess Cinemas | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Green dream: Can UN summit revive climate issue? | Business Insider
- Why Bank of America, JPMorgan, Wells Fargo Are Finally Waking Up | TheStreet.com
- 70,000 Syrian Kurds flee into Turkey in 24 hours: UN | Business Insider
- A Detroit Lions Player Injured His Knee Doing A Popular... | Business Insider
- Scientists Discovered What Makes Someone A Good Dancer | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek
- 49 Turks kidnapped by IS militants freed: PM | Business Insider