Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Stocks Slide After Fed's Evans Takes October Off Table, Fears China Growth Weakness | ZeroHedge
- Worth Wray on China's Failed Plan to Blow Stock Market Bubble and Attract Global Investors | Financial Sense
- The 'Real' Minimum Wage Exposed: Urban Outfitters Asks Staff To Work Weekends For Free | ZeroHedge
- Despite Surging Job Cuts, Initial Jobless Claims Tumble Back Near 42 Year Lows | ZeroHedge
- NATO Threatens To Send In Troops After Russia Stations Ground "Battalion" In Syria | ZeroHedge
- Fed Admits "Changes In Asset Prices", "Decline In Equity Prices" Influenced Rate Decision | ZeroHedge
- Bundesbank Tries To Reassure Re Gold Reserves as Deutsche Bank Shocks With €6 Billion Loss Warning | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Appeals court rules for heirs of Santa Claus song... | Business Insider
- Latin America rolls out red carpet for once-scorned IMF | Business Insider
- The biggest names in digital will be at IGNITION 2015 — check out the full lineup | Business Insider
- VW's US CEO to face tough questions in... | Business Insider
- Title contenders eyeing win at Charlotte to ease pressure... | Business Insider
- Alberto, Rangers beat Blue Jays in 14th, lead ALDS 2-0 | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek