Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Leading Index Plunges To 6 Year Lows | ZeroHedge
- Preview of January FOMC Meeting and Beyond | ZeroHedge
- "Leverage Mismatches" - Why Q-ECB May Not Be A Favorable Development | ZeroHedge
- Aircraft Carrier Stennis Has Biggest Ordnance Onload Since 2010 | ZeroHedge
- Bank of Canada Throws in the Towel on ‘Recovery’ Meme | Financial Sense
- About That "Strong Dollar" - Corporatism Speaks | ZeroHedge
- Cleanest Dirty Shirt? US Macro Data Worst Start To A Year In Over A Decade | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How A $12 Million Monet Painting Was Fully Restored After A Man Punched It | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- WHO pledges reforms as it admits Ebola mistakes | Business Insider
- HEDGE FUND MANAGER ODEY WARNS: We've Entered A Downturn That Will Be... | Business Insider
- The Global Slowdown Is Making Asia's Debt Mountain Even Worse | Business Insider
- The 10 Best Tech Careers In 2015 | Business Insider
- A Carrier Website Might Have Just Leaked Samsung's Next Galaxy Phone | Business Insider