Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Behind The Scenes In FX Trading: What Is Really Going On | ZeroHedge
- Don Coxe: Bull Market in Bonds Now Ending - Risks Ahead | Financial Sense
- A Vision of Monetary Hell Troubles Our Sleep... | ZeroHedge
- Japan Pleases Markets With Surprise Growth | Financial Sense
- Housing Data Rebounds; Walmart Disappoints | Financial Sense
- "Strongly Dissatisfied" China Warns US "Accident" Is "Highly Likely" In South China Sea | ZeroHedge
- The Big Four Economic Indicators: Real Retail Sales | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The cheapest way to see all the blockbusters coming out this summer | Business Insider
- Amazon is launching an Etsy killer (AMZN) | Business Insider
- Saudi identifies dead suicide bomber, confirms link to IS... | Business Insider
- An SEC lockdown almost killed this startup right after it launched - now it's worth... | Business Insider
- Investors' are still more in love with bonds than stocks | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- YELLEN: Rate hikes are coming this year (DIA, SPY, SPX, QQQ, IWM) | Business Insider