Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Surge in Global Economic Surprises, Business Confidence Continues | Financial Sense
- Dollar Index Nears Crucial Line In The Sand | ZeroHedge
- Italy Falls Out Of Love With The Euro: Beppe Grillo Resurgent In The Polls | ZeroHedge
- People Are Ditching Chicago In Record Numbers As Windy City Leads U.S. In Population Loss | ZeroHedge
- Will Thursday's Final TLTRO Finally Spark Carry Trades? | ZeroHedge
- Bill Blain: "It Feels Like The Markets Are In A Limbo Phase" | ZeroHedge
- FHFA Home Price Growth Weakest Since Nov 2013 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why people love Dig Inn, the healthy restaurant chain that just raised another $30... | Business Insider
- A new breed of trader is threatening the Wall Street establishment | Business Insider
- How to use the app that Apple just bought and made free for everyone (AAPL) | Business Insider
- This new game is like Pokémon GO — but you can catch cash prizes... | Business Insider
- These are the best sound bars you can buy | Business Insider
- Senate Republicans just voted to give internet providers the green light to... | Business Insider
- The 25 most beautiful buildings in the world, according to architects | Business Insider