Covered Call Picks (GMCR,JCP,DDD,KORS,HLF)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc (GMCR) is currently trading at $43.28. Its 52 week range is between $17.11 and $71.15.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $21.01. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
3D Systems Corp (DDD) is currently trading at $62. Its 52 week range is between $18.93 and $71.98.
Michael Kors Holdings Ltd (KORS) is currently trading at $57.47. Its 52 week range is between $29.32 and $60.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $38.67. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is This Why The Market Just Turned Green? | ZeroHedge
- Multiple Reports: Ukrainian Fighter Jets Were with Malaysian Flight 17 When It Was Shot Down | ZeroHedge
- UN Says MH-17 Downing "May Be War Crime"; Russia Responds Photos Of Ukraine Shelling Are Fake | ZeroHedge
- The "Most Significant Danger" According To Elliott's Paul Singer | ZeroHedge
- Fed Exit a Blue Pill? | Financial Sense
- "London Fix" Gold Rigging By Bullion Bank Exposed In Class Action Lawsuit: The Complete Charts | ZeroHedge
- Like Dripping Silver Icicles | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A Woman Asked A Man This Really Inappropriate Job Interview Question | Business Insider
- Markets Are Up Around The World | Business Insider
- After-... | StreetInsider.com
- Here's What Muslims All Over The World Eat To Break The Ramadan Fast | Business Insider
- Investors' Tendency To Take The Fed's Predictions Literally Is Bringing... | Business Insider
- One Dead, Seven Hospitalized In Freak LA Lightning Strike | Business Insider
- The Weekend Is Over And Stocks Are Falling | Business Insider