Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Three Years After Going Public, Fairway Files Chapter 11 | ZeroHedge
- Ron Paul: "Our Economic System Is Designed To Fail" | ZeroHedge
- 15 Warning Signs of Possible Market Top, Recession Next Year | Financial Sense
- Watch Live: John Kasich Announces End Of His Presidential Campaign | ZeroHedge
- Here Comes The Turkish Flood: EU Commission Backs Visa-Free Travel For 80 Million Turks | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: May 4 | ZeroHedge
- Exit the Dragon – China’s Debt Is Everyone’s Problem | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Things have pretty much gone to hell' in the... | Business Insider
- A Brooklyn pizzeria is serving pizza in a box made out of pizza | Business Insider
- The ECB is getting rid of drug cartels' favorite... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- The $35,000 device that celebrities and the super-rich use at home to stream movies still in... | Business Insider
- American Apparel is now crowdsourcing accessories | Business Insider
- A new movement that uses science to trick your brain could... | Business Insider