Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Market Boosted by Caterpillar (CAT) Earnings | Financial Sense
- Speak, Switzerland! | Financial Sense
- 100% of Mainstream Interest Rate Theory is Wrong | ZeroHedge
- The Market Says Markit Is Full Of It: Global PMIs Are Painting An Unrealistically Rosy Picture | ZeroHedge
- The Similarities Between Germany and China | Financial Sense
- If Greek Banks Don’t Expect Any Stress-Test Problems, Why The Need For More Liquidity? | ZeroHedge
- AND NoW FoR A MeSSaGe FRoM YouR EBoLa CZaR... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- US Falls To Its Lowest Spot In 16 Months In The New FIFA Rankings | Business Insider
- Why Soaring Chromebook Sales Are Great News for Google, Acer, Samsung and HP | TheStreet.com
- Original 'Shark Tank' Investor Kevin Harrington... | Business Insider
- Taylor Swift... | Business Insider
- Sorry, But China's 'Better-Than-Expected' Manufacturing Report Was Not '... | Business Insider
- Market Wrap: CPI Outpaces in Sept.;... | StreetInsider.com
- Ocwen Flubs Response to N.Y. Financial Services Regulator | TheStreet.com