Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Which Stocks Are Cheap? | ZeroHedge
- Internal Bleeding, Cheap Tech, And Falling Angels | ZeroHedge
- Murder And Mayhem In The Middle East (Why It Matters To Those Living In The West) | ZeroHedge
- To JPM, This Is The Alarming Chart Suggesting The Next Recession "Is Just Around The Corner" | ZeroHedge
- Richard Russell: The Passing of an Icon | Financial Sense
- Are You Following the Rules? | Altucher Confidential
- Russia Bans Soros Foundation As A "Threat To National Security And Constitutional Order" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Day after players-only meeting, Redskins beat Giants 20-14... | Business Insider
- The Latest: Jury selection starts in Freddie Gray case | Business Insider
- Drone footage shows what more than a year of war has done to an airport in Ukraine | Business Insider
- Amazon saw Black Friday sales grow 35% in the UK (AMZN) | Business Insider
- Pope says fundamentalism is 'disease of all religions... | Business Insider
- Clinton presses Venezuela to uphold will of voters | Business Insider
- US stocks open higher, led by banks and industrials | Business Insider