Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- LIVE FROM THE FERGUSON RIOTS (sort of) | iBankCoin.com
- U.S. Sees Record Foreign Inflows As Economic Indicators Reach Decade Highs | Financial Sense
- Oil Plunges As Venezuela Hints No Output Reduction | ZeroHedge
- U.S. Drone Strike Math – 41 Terrorists Targeted, 1,147 People Killed | ZeroHedge
- For The World's Largest Rig Operator, The "Recovery" Is Now Worse Than The Post-Lehman Crash | ZeroHedge
- A Tidal Wave of Gold Repatriations Could be Unleashed | ZeroHedge
- Global Gold Demand Will Overwhelm the Manipulators | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 15 Successful Entrepreneurs Share The Best Advice They Ever Got | Business Insider
- Stocks Make Minor Moves on Light Pre-Thanksgiving Volume | TheStreet.com
- Pope's first visit to European Parliament: Live Report | Business Insider
- Shoppers Increase Spending On Experiences, Instead of Goods for Holidays | TheStreet.com
- Ferguson Officer Darren Wilson: 'I Know I Did My Job Right' | Business Insider
- Airbnb Exec Thinks The Company Should Win A Nobel Peace Prize | Business Insider
- The Entire Premise Of 'Jurassic Park' Is Wrong | Business Insider