Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Welcome Aboard... But First US Marshals Will Scan Your Retina | ZeroHedge
- Instant Tax Collection: As Bitcoin Surges to Record High, China Prepares its Own Digital Currency | Financial Sense
- French President Fires Back At Trump Over Paris Comments | ZeroHedge
- Majority Finds Media Coverage Of Trump Is "Too Critical, Exaggerated": WSJ/NBC Poll | ZeroHedge
- Trump And Russia: Just Pointing Out The Obvious | ZeroHedge
- Trump Says He Will Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner | ZeroHedge
- EIA Reports Minor Build in Crude Inventories, Draw in Gasoline Stocks | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Goldman Sachs downgrades Tesla — and the stock is falling (TSLA) | Business Insider
- Trump administration seeks to loosen hiring... | Business Insider
- Access an exclusive BI Intelligence report for FREE today | Business Insider
- How Emmanuel Macron's inspired grassroots activists are... | Business Insider
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- REPORT: The Japanese telecom giant SoftBank is... | Business Insider
- Jimmy Kimmel brutally mocks Trump in Oscars opening | Business Insider