Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- In Mexico, a Trying Year for Trade | Financial Sense
- Communism Again Gets A Free Pass - Setting The Record Straight On Castro | ZeroHedge
- Ford CEO Expresses Interest In Working With Trump; Says Less Regulation Is Key To Saving U.S. Jobs | ZeroHedge
- Online Activist Will Spend 10 Years In Jail For "Spreading False News" | ZeroHedge
- In Tweetstorm, Trump Threatens "Retribution" For Companies That Leave The US | ZeroHedge
- Apple Officially Enters Self-Driving Car Race | ZeroHedge
- At Least Nine Killed, 25 Missing After Massive Fire Breaks Out At Oakland Warehouse Party | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Trump spent Saturday night at a lavish 'Villains and... | Business Insider
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Uber and Lyft drivers share the 14 weirdest things... | Business Insider
- We tested fried chicken sandwiches from every major fast-food... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- Access an exclusive BI Intelligence report for FREE today | Business Insider
- Black Friday was a record-breaking day for gun background... | Business Insider