Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- An Exasperated John Kerry Throws In Towel On Syria: "What Do You Want Me To Do, Go To War With The Russians?!" | ZeroHedge
- Madeleine Albright Stunner: "There's A Special Place In Hell For Women Who Don't Help" Hillary | ZeroHedge
- Record 5 Year Treasury Shorts Crucified | ZeroHedge
- Futures, Global Stocks Tumble As Europe Bank, Periphery Carnage Unfolds | ZeroHedge
- Bank of Japan and Oil Detracting Market's Focus from Weak GDP Report | Financial Sense
- Greek Tragedy: Pension Pandemonium Sparks Bank Crash, Stocks At 26 Year Lows | ZeroHedge
- Dear Barack... You Forgot To Mention A Few Things | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A former Goldman Sachs employee has condensed an entire MBA into one online... | Business Insider
- 'The bodies are just... | Business Insider
- This ad was apparently deemed too sexy for the Super Bowl | Business Insider
- John Kasich is surging in New Hampshire, according to a... | Business Insider
- Zac Efron and Anna Kendrick are in a hilarious trailer for... | Business Insider
- Marshawn Lynch tweeted a symbolic message during the Super Bowl... | Business Insider
- Twitter just hit a new all-time low (TWTR) | Business Insider