Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- White House Confirms Sony Hack Is "National Security" Matter, Merits "Approporiate Response" | ZeroHedge
- Algos Spooked After Yellen Says "Almost All Participants" See 2015 Rate Hike | ZeroHedge
- "It's A Huge Crisis" - The UK Oil Industry Is "Close To Collapse, People Are Being Laid Off" | ZeroHedge
- Charts Show 28 Seriously Troubled Mega-Banks: 24 of Them in Europe | Financial Sense
- Cheap Oil: Too Much Of A Good Thing? | ZeroHedge
- Easy There, Lads | iBankCoin.com
- Sorry Folks, The North Koreans Hacked The "Global Recovery" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Now That The US Government Thinks North Korea Hacked Sony, Here's How It... | Business Insider
- India's Devi banned for Asiad medal snub | Business Insider
- GINGRICH: 'America Has Lost Its First Cyberwar' | Business Insider
- Here Are 3 Big Policy Changes In US-Cuba Relations | Business Insider
- This Power Couple Has Found The Key To Staying Happy While Working Insane Hours | Business Insider
- Sony Just Cancelled The Dec. 25 Release Of 'The... | Business Insider