Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Catalysts for a Correction | Financial Sense
- BitLicense Part 1 - Benjamin Lawsky's Attempt to Single-Handedly Drive the US Economy Back into the Dark Ages | ZeroHedge
- Obama Prepared To Unleash More Sanctions On Russia | ZeroHedge
- 5 Reasons Why The Market Won't Crash Or Will | ZeroHedge
- Turkish PM Cuts Ties With US, Mulls De-Dollarization With Russia | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Goes Schizo On Gold: Boosts Price Target To $1200 Even As It Is "Selling It With Conviction" | ZeroHedge
- Japanese Exports Tumble For 2nd Month In A Row, Worst Since Abenomics Began | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- LEAKED: Here's What The Next Google Smartwatch Will Probably Look Like | Business Insider
- How One Man Earns Up To $1,000 A Week By Standing In Line | Business Insider
- CHART OF THE DAY: iPhone Sales Are Up, But Its... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions of... | StreetInsider.com
- Facebook's Stock Is Going Crazy This Morning (FB) | Business Insider
- This Is The Best Gaming Tablet In The World | Business Insider
- Hallucinogens Legally Sold as 'Bath Salts' a New Threat | BusinessWeek