Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Is The Biggest Treasury Drawdown In History Imminent? The "Bond Shock" Story Refuses To Go Away | ZeroHedge
- Ray-Ban Maker Luxottica To Merge With French Esilor, Creating $49 Billion Eyewear Giant | ZeroHedge
- "What Will We Be Talking About This Time Next Year" - Here Is Jeff Gundlach's Answer | ZeroHedge
- US Oil and Gas Jobs See First Gains in 2 Years | Financial Sense
- World Bank: Trump to Boost US Economic Growth and Commodities | Financial Sense
- Pound Slides After Theresa May's Full Speech Leaks, Laying Out Her 12-Point Plan | ZeroHedge
- John Lewis Lied: History Reveals He Did Not Attend George Bush's 2000 Inauguration | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Moscow didn’t do anything in America’s last election that Washington hasn’t done... | Business Insider
- LinkedIn's head of recruiting explains why... | Business Insider
- This monster machine that splits trees is incredibly satisfying to watch | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- NASA saw a giant hole in the Sun's magnetic field | Business Insider
- The 10 best jobs that don't require a bachelor's degree | Business Insider
- Here's the science behind why it's so hard to maintain eye... | Business Insider