Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Global QE and the Gold Price | Financial Sense
- The Swiss Franc Will Collapse | Financial Sense
- What’s the Point? | iBankCoin.com
- Martin Armstrong: Foreign Capital Flows Could Drive US Markets Significantly Higher | Financial Sense
- Russia May Condemn "Annexation" Of East Germany | ZeroHedge
- Bond Market Not Seeing Any Upcoming Rate Hikes After A Blistering 2 Year Auction | ZeroHedge
- Lies And Deception In Ukraine’s Energy Sector | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Gas blast at Mexico children's hospital, four dead | Business Insider
- Villarreal to face Barca in Cup semis | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot... | StreetInsider.com
- This Wall Street CEO Isn't Impressed By 'Fancy Schools' — Here's What... | Business Insider
- Facebook's Earnings by the Numbers: A Look at the Advertising Giant's Record Results | TheStreet.com
- ICC allows banned Aamer to play domestic cricket | Business Insider
- Google's 'Send Money In Email' Service Has Arrived In The UK (GOOG) | Business Insider