Covered Call Picks (OCZ,STP,MLNX,JAG,SQNM)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
OCZ Technology Group Inc (OCZ) is currently trading at $1.99. Its 52 week range is between $1.11 and $10.05.
Suntech Power Holdings Co Ltd (STP) is currently trading at $1.74. Its 52 week range is between $0.71 and $4.4.
Mellanox Technologies Ltd (MLNX) is currently trading at $51.69. Its 52 week range is between $30.55 and $120.05.
Jaguar Mining Inc (JAG) is currently trading at $0.93. Its 52 week range is between $0.58 and $7.35.
Sequenom Inc (SQNM) is currently trading at $4.15. Its 52 week range is between $2.65 and $5.83.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The American 'Recovery' In 1 Chart | ZeroHedge
- Lawrence Wilkerson: "The American 'Empire' Is In Deep, Deep Trouble" | ZeroHedge
- Who Owns Your Presidential Candidate? | ZeroHedge
- Worth Wray on China's Failed Plan to Blow Stock Market Bubble and Attract Global Investors | Financial Sense
- Stock Market Reaches Key Post-Crash Milestone | ZeroHedge
- Silver & Crude Are Soaring | ZeroHedge
- What Could Reverse the Global Market Decline? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Mets set playoff rotation for initial 3 games vs Dodgers | Business Insider
- More police refusing to name shooters for fear of... | Business Insider
- Bangladesh plays down IS claim of killing Japanese man | Business Insider
- Gusty wind may add to weather risks on soggy East Coast | Business Insider
- The Latest: Nobel medicine laureates helped millions | Business Insider
- US-EU data deal at risk in Facebook case judgment | Business Insider
- GOLDMAN: Here are the 21 cheapest stocks in the marketE | Business Insider