Covered Call Picks (MCP,NFLX,FB,LCC,BBY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.78. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $103.44. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $30.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $14.67. Its 52 week range is between $5.81 and $15.5.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $14.48. Its 52 week range is between $11.2 and $27.95.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Secular Trends in New Residential Building Permits and Housing Starts | Financial Sense
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Increased Again in April | Financial Sense
- Japan Pleases Markets With Surprise Growth | Financial Sense
- With All Major Markets Closed For Holiday, Here Are The Major News | ZeroHedge
- McDonalds Responds To Minimum Wage Protests | ZeroHedge
- Greece's Problem | ZeroHedge
- The Future Is Served: Meet Moley the Robot Master Chef | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Samsung to merge two major units | Business Insider
- More than 430 dead in India heatwave | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Apple's design guy Jony Ive just got a promotion | Business Insider
- European stocks are sinking after the long weekend | Business Insider
- Chevron CEO John Watson on oil prices, what makes America No. 1 in energy,... | Business Insider
- Greece to keep repaying creditors as long as it can:... | Business Insider