Covered Call Picks (MCP,NFLX,FB,LCC,BBY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.78. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $103.44. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $30.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $14.67. Its 52 week range is between $5.81 and $15.5.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $14.48. Its 52 week range is between $11.2 and $27.95.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Earnings Parade Accelerates | Financial Sense
- The Market Is Too Dependent on Hopes That Await Evidence | Financial Sense
- Reports Are Not Yet Confirming Slowdown Was All Weather Related | Financial Sense
- The Real 'Reset' Button | ZeroHedge
- Lassonde: Gold Moving Sideways; Very Bullish on Natural Gas | Financial Sense
- STTG Market Recap April 17, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Big Four Economic Indicators See Strong Advance | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Even the Analysts Are 'Confused' by IBM | TheStreet.com
- Lego Is for Girls | BusinessWeek
- What Happened To The First 10 Apple Employees (AAPL) | Business Insider
- New Militant Group Claims Responsibility For... | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Jim Cramer's Top Stock Picks: WFM SBUX MRK STZ | TheStreet.com
- Syrian Rebels Are Being Armed With US-Made Anti-Tank Missiles | Business Insider