Covered Call Picks (MCP,NFLX,FB,LCC,BBY)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
Molycorp Inc (MCP) is currently trading at $8.78. Its 52 week range is between $5.75 and $35.79.
Netflix Inc (NFLX) is currently trading at $103.44. Its 52 week range is between $52.81 and $133.43.
Facebook Inc (FB) is currently trading at $30.95. Its 52 week range is between $17.55 and $45.
US Airways Group Inc (LCC) is currently trading at $14.67. Its 52 week range is between $5.81 and $15.5.
Best BUY Co Inc (BBY) is currently trading at $14.48. Its 52 week range is between $11.2 and $27.95.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Schizomarket On Edge As FOMC Meeting Begins | ZeroHedge
- The Emerging Burn | iBankCoin.com
- "Tomorrow Is The Big Day" | ZeroHedge
- Bernanke On Soaring Interest Rates: "We Were A Little Puzzled By That" | ZeroHedge
- IRS Refunds $4 Billion Child Tax Credits Per Year to Illegal Immigrants Whose Kids Do Not Live in US | Financial Sense
- A Long-Term Look at Inflation | Financial Sense
- Guest Post: Who Are The Real Traitors? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- Apple's Supply-Chain Secret? Hoard Lasers | BusinessWeek
- Read About All Things Social Media With 'Social Media Insights' | Business Insider
- Kanye West's 'American Psycho' Parody Is Pretty Amazing | Business Insider
- 17 Places You Must Go To Party Like A Big-Money D.C. Insider | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek