Covered Call Picks (CLSN,HLF,QCOR,JCP,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||8.29||9||1.5||18.10%||January 2013|
|HLF||Herbalife Ltd||32.2||32.5||2.3||7.00%||January 2013|
|QCOR||Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc||26||26||1.7||6.50%||January 2013|
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||20.8||21||1.1||5.20%||January 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||32||32||1.5||4.60%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $8.29. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $32.2. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc (QCOR) is currently trading at $25.99. Its 52 week range is between $17.25 and $58.91.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $20.84. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $31.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $50.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Bank of Japan Refrains From Deepening Stimulus | Financial Sense
- A Look at the Coming 30-Year Inflation Cycle | Financial Sense
- Deja Vu - Someone Tell The Gold-Manipulating-Machines The Market's Shut | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: September 1 | ZeroHedge
- Your Wall Street Slumlord Arrives in Europe: Goldman Launches "Buy-To-Rent" In Spain | ZeroHedge
- Leverage, Derivatives, And The Heresy Of Opposing The 'Status Quo Institutions' | ZeroHedge
- Where Do ISIS Fighters Come From? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Smart Shoe Sole Will Keep You Warm During The Winter And Track Your Activity At The Same Time | Business Insider
- Rick Perry's Account Deleted An Incendiary Tweet Mocking The DA At The... | Business Insider
- Ebola kills 31 people in DR Congo: WHO | Business Insider
- Google Is Deliberately Showing You Lousy Old Versions Of... | Business Insider
- What The Tennis Legends Of The Past Look Like Today | Business Insider
- Dutch Heineken to sell Mexican package business for $1.2bn... | Business Insider
- Ryder Cup wildcard challenge for McGinley and Watson | Business Insider