Covered Call Picks (CLSN,HLF,QCOR,JCP,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||8.29||9||1.5||18.10%||January 2013|
|HLF||Herbalife Ltd||32.2||32.5||2.3||7.00%||January 2013|
|QCOR||Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc||26||26||1.7||6.50%||January 2013|
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||20.8||21||1.1||5.20%||January 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||32||32||1.5||4.60%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $8.29. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $32.2. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc (QCOR) is currently trading at $25.99. Its 52 week range is between $17.25 and $58.91.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $20.84. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $31.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $50.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Krinsky on Stock Market: Primary Trend Has Shifted to the Downside | Financial Sense
- Initial Jobless Claims Average Hovers 11-Month Highs | ZeroHedge
- Hilsenrath's Take: March Rate Hike In Limbo, But "Fed Was Expecting A Slowdown" | ZeroHedge
- "High-Skilled Hillbillies" Become Computer Programmers As Coal Dies Slow Death | ZeroHedge
- Congress Wants To Turn The US Postal Service... Into A Bank | ZeroHedge
- Can Big Oil Continue to Pay Dividends? | Financial Sense
- Your Last Minute Payrolls Preview: What Wall Street Expects | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- What Brazil is doing to tackle the ‘... | Business Insider
- Snapchat has run its first app-install ad — a big sign the app is... | Business Insider
- Palantir, the War on Terror's Secret Weapon | BusinessWeek
- Here's what NATO needs to do... | Business Insider
- Consumer and retail news: 10 things you need to know today | Business Insider
- Former Defense Secretary shares leadership lessons from five US Presidents | Business Insider
- Here's your quick guide to Friday's jobs report | Business Insider