Covered Call Picks (CLSN,HLF,QCOR,JCP,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||8.29||9||1.5||18.10%||January 2013|
|HLF||Herbalife Ltd||32.2||32.5||2.3||7.00%||January 2013|
|QCOR||Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc||26||26||1.7||6.50%||January 2013|
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||20.8||21||1.1||5.20%||January 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||32||32||1.5||4.60%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $8.29. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $32.2. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc (QCOR) is currently trading at $25.99. Its 52 week range is between $17.25 and $58.91.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $20.84. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $31.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $50.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- As Gazprom CEO Arrives In Athens, EU (Coincidentally) Files Anti-Trust Charges Against Russian Giant | ZeroHedge
- Vice Spending Slows, Unless You’ve Got the Herb | Financial Sense
- U.S. Cities Series: Competitive Clusters Drive Sustainable Growth in Seattle | Financial Sense
- David Einhorn Is "Adding More Shorts", Has A Question For Mario Draghi | ZeroHedge
- A Strong Dollar May Not Be as Bad as Feared | Financial Sense
- North Carolina Man's Obituary "Respectfully Asks That You Not Vote For Hillary In 2016" | ZeroHedge
- IBM Reports Worst Sales Since 2002; EPS Beats On Aggressive Buybacks, Cut In Tax Rate | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Mexico just captured the leader of one of the country's oldest drug... | Business Insider
- Blasts tear through Yemen capital after air strikes | Business Insider
- Why this woman turned down a fabulous job at Google | Business Insider
- Pre-... | StreetInsider.com
- Here's your complete preview of this week's big economic events | Business Insider
- Russian deputy prime minister: 'The Arctic is a Russian Mecca' | Business Insider
- Bomb explodes outside Spanish embassy in Libya:... | Business Insider