Covered Call Picks (CLSN,HLF,QCOR,JCP,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||8.29||9||1.5||18.10%||January 2013|
|HLF||Herbalife Ltd||32.2||32.5||2.3||7.00%||January 2013|
|QCOR||Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc||26||26||1.7||6.50%||January 2013|
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||20.8||21||1.1||5.20%||January 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||32||32||1.5||4.60%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $8.29. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $32.2. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc (QCOR) is currently trading at $25.99. Its 52 week range is between $17.25 and $58.91.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $20.84. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $31.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $50.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Crises Take Longer Coming Than You Think, and Happen Much Faster Than You Thought | Financial Sense
- Small Bombs Under $10 | iBankCoin.com
- Citi: "Asset Markets Are Ill-Prepared For Any Risk-Negative Shock" | ZeroHedge
- Putin Speaks: Will Respond "Adequately" To Ongoing NATO Buildup; "Wont Tighten Screws" In Response To Threats | ZeroHedge
- Positive Start to Q2 Earnings | Financial Sense
- Stocks Desperate To Put Ukraine In Rearview Mirror But More Russian Sanctions Loom | ZeroHedge
- William O'Brien, Infamous CEO Of BATS, Has Left The Firm | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Top Clinton Aide Warned That Ruth Bader Ginsburg... | Business Insider
- Elliott Ready to Split VMWare from EMC: Chart of the Day | TheStreet.com
- The US Airports With The Cheapest Average Airfare | Business Insider
- The 35 Best Restaurants In London | Business Insider
- France To Deliver First Warship To... | Business Insider
- America's Potential Growth Rate Is Barely Half What It Was 20 Years Ago... | Business Insider
- This Architect-Designed Home In South Australia Generates Its Own Power And... | Business Insider