Covered Call Picks (CLSN,HLF,QCOR,JCP,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||8.29||9||1.5||18.10%||January 2013|
|HLF||Herbalife Ltd||32.2||32.5||2.3||7.00%||January 2013|
|QCOR||Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc||26||26||1.7||6.50%||January 2013|
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||20.8||21||1.1||5.20%||January 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||32||32||1.5||4.60%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $8.29. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $32.2. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc (QCOR) is currently trading at $25.99. Its 52 week range is between $17.25 and $58.91.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $20.84. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $31.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $50.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Happens When the Electricity Is Off for Three Days? | Financial Sense
- Europe's Central Bank Is in a Bind Over Bonds | Financial Sense
- A Realist's View Of The US Presidential Contest | ZeroHedge
- Weekend Reading: Time To Be A Contrarian? | ZeroHedge
- "Prepare For More Volatility As Yield 'Hunger Games' Comes To An End" | ZeroHedge
- Dakota Access Pipeline Coalition Lashes Out At Obama's Attempt To "Ignore The Rule Of Law" | ZeroHedge
- US Oil Rig Count Spikes To 8-Month Highs | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why Japan has the best navy in Asia | Business Insider
- Here’s what a computer is thinking when it plays chess against you | Business Insider
- 'Mr. Trump, would my son have a place in your America?': Clinton ad features Capt. Khan... | Business Insider
- Michael Moore calls anyone voting for Donald Trump a 'legal... | Business Insider
- 3 professors have a radical idea for how to remove bias from the criminal justice system | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Here are 4 big takeaways from the world's biggest... | Business Insider