Covered Call Picks (CLSN,HLF,QCOR,JCP,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||8.29||9||1.5||18.10%||January 2013|
|HLF||Herbalife Ltd||32.2||32.5||2.3||7.00%||January 2013|
|QCOR||Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc||26||26||1.7||6.50%||January 2013|
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||20.8||21||1.1||5.20%||January 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||32||32||1.5||4.60%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $8.29. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $32.2. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc (QCOR) is currently trading at $25.99. Its 52 week range is between $17.25 and $58.91.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $20.84. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $31.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $50.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- OMFIF’s David Marsh: Bank of Japan Stands to Make “Enormous” Losses | Financial Sense
- Amazon Smashes Expectations As Cloud Profits Soar; Stock Dips Then Jumps | ZeroHedge
- Is The BOJ About To Overhaul Its Entire QE Program: Wall Street's Take On The "Comprehensive Assessment" Clause | ZeroHedge
- Best Gold & Silver Forecasters Revise 2016 Targets Sharply Higher | Financial Sense
- Monte Paschi Fails European "Stress Test" Meant To Restore Confidence In Europe's Struggling Banks | ZeroHedge
- Merkel Ignores Nation's "Anxiety & Fear"; No Change To Open-Door Migration Policy | ZeroHedge
- The Fed Is Preparing For Negative Rates - Here's The Sign Everyone Missed | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- THE BEACONS REPORT: Why the CPG category is poised to become an early leader in beacon-based... | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- A single word sent Ford's stock into a tailspin (F, GM, FCAU) | Business Insider
- Hillary Clinton is taking heat from all sides when... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Scientists have found a way to predict whether fisheries are... | Business Insider
- One of our favorite subscription boxes is an amazing value right now... | Business Insider