Covered Call Picks (CLSN,HLF,QCOR,JCP,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||8.29||9||1.5||18.10%||January 2013|
|HLF||Herbalife Ltd||32.2||32.5||2.3||7.00%||January 2013|
|QCOR||Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc||26||26||1.7||6.50%||January 2013|
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||20.8||21||1.1||5.20%||January 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||32||32||1.5||4.60%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $8.29. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $32.2. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc (QCOR) is currently trading at $25.99. Its 52 week range is between $17.25 and $58.91.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $20.84. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $31.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $50.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Keynes Was a Failure in Japan – No Need to Embrace Him in Europe | Financial Sense
- The Decline Of America's Economic Model In 1 Simple Chart | ZeroHedge
- Companies' Stock Buybacks at Biggest Pace Since 2007 | Financial Sense
- Central Banks Biggest Concern Should Be Market Stability | ZeroHedge
- Summarizing Obama's ISIS Strategy Endgame (In 1 Cartoon) | ZeroHedge
- Yahoo Is Not Having A Good Day | ZeroHedge
- Quantitative Proof The Fed Is Destroying The Middle Class | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Chart That Shows Why Independence... | Business Insider
- A Man Has Invented A One-Piece Suit, And It Actually Looks Fantastic | Business Insider
- Asian Games: Japan's Kosuke Hagino wins 200m freestyle | Business Insider
- Tens of thousands expected at New York climate march | Business Insider
- Security upped at Vatican over attack fears | Business Insider
- Pope in Albania to promote inter-religious harmony | Business Insider
- 5 Memory Strategies For Learning Anything Fast | Business Insider