Covered Call Picks (CLSN,HLF,QCOR,JCP,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||8.29||9||1.5||18.10%||January 2013|
|HLF||Herbalife Ltd||32.2||32.5||2.3||7.00%||January 2013|
|QCOR||Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc||26||26||1.7||6.50%||January 2013|
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||20.8||21||1.1||5.20%||January 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||32||32||1.5||4.60%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $8.29. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $32.2. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc (QCOR) is currently trading at $25.99. Its 52 week range is between $17.25 and $58.91.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $20.84. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $31.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $50.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Planning for Future Rate Hikes: What Can History Tell Us that the Fed Won’t? | Financial Sense
- S.H.O.M.P. | iBankCoin.com
- Operating in a "Shadow Rate" World - Fed Funds Closer to Negative 3% | Financial Sense
- Obama, The 'Fiddling' Optimist | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Warns, Congress Is Preparing To Tame The Fed | ZeroHedge
- Are Stocks in a Bubble? Analysis of Valuations and Stock Buybacks | Financial Sense
- Cheap Natural Gas Triggers Major Industrial Expansion Plans In the U.S. | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- LeBron James Had The Perfect Description For His 'College' Years In Miami | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- A Club That Represents Everything Passé About NYC Nightlife Has Finally Gone Bankrupt... | Business Insider
- Ten Things Only Bad Managers Say | BusinessWeek
- Bill Gates Reveals His Favorite Business Book | Business Insider
- Why Now Could Be A Good Time For Stock-Picking | Business Insider
- The SEC Charges 'Golfing Buddies' In Insider Trading Scheme | Business Insider