Covered Call Picks (CLSN,HLF,QCOR,JCP,FSLR)
What's a Covered Call?
The covered call is a strategy where an investor writes a call option contract (sells an option) while at the same time owning an equivalent number of shares of the underlying stock.If this stock is purchased simultaneously with writing the call contract, the strategy is commonly referred to as a buy-write.
While you may have heard that trading options is risky business, covered calls are actually a very conservative strategy, and most brokerages even allow retirement IRA accounts to write covered calls.
|CLSN||Celsion Corp||8.29||9||1.5||18.10%||January 2013|
|HLF||Herbalife Ltd||32.2||32.5||2.3||7.00%||January 2013|
|QCOR||Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc||26||26||1.7||6.50%||January 2013|
|JCP||J C Penney Company Inc||20.8||21||1.1||5.20%||January 2013|
|FSLR||First Solar Inc||32||32||1.5||4.60%||January 2013|
Celsion Corp (CLSN) is currently trading at $8.29. Its 52 week range is between $1.63 and $8.86.
Herbalife Ltd (HLF) is currently trading at $32.2. Its 52 week range is between $24.24 and $73.
Questcor Pharmaceuticals Inc (QCOR) is currently trading at $25.99. Its 52 week range is between $17.25 and $58.91.
J C Penney Company Inc (JCP) is currently trading at $20.84. Its 52 week range is between $15.69 and $43.18.
First Solar Inc (FSLR) is currently trading at $31.99. Its 52 week range is between $11.43 and $50.2.
MASTERY Bottom line:
There are pros and cons to writing covered calls. In theory, this strategy will out perform outright stock ownership if the stock price declines, remains the same, or slightly increases in price. The principal disadvantage of this strategy, on the other hand, is that profit potential can be limited if the underlying stock price advances sharply.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- On The Taper Timing, It's The WSJ vs The NYT | ZeroHedge
- These Stocks Are Dressed for Today’s Market Occasion | iBankCoin.com
- Gold Edging Closer to Long-Term Bearish; Beware of Blind Spots! | Financial Sense
- One Time! | iBankCoin.com
- As Credit Bubble Grows, Junk Bond Underwriting Fees Drop To Record Low | ZeroHedge
- Enormous Discrepancy Between Jobs and Employment Continues | Financial Sense
- (Part IV) Bail-In Regimes - The Key Attributes and Who Is Driving? | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Conservatives Are Starting To Freak Out About The... | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- ANALYST: Here Are 5 Reasons I Just Went... | Business Insider
- South Carolina Sheriff Refused To Lower The Flag... | Business Insider
- If Only Intel Didn't Date Losers | TheStreet.com
- Bitcoin Has Made A Major Comeback | Business Insider
- Markets Are On The Rise | Business Insider