Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- JPM's Kolanovic Warns Upcoming Recession Could Be Comparable To 2008 Crisis; Says "Buy Gold, Cash And VIX" | ZeroHedge
- Why The Federal Reserve Always "Happens" To Be Wrong | ZeroHedge
- Why We Won’t Have a “Lehman Moment” in the 2016 Crash | Financial Sense
- If You Want To Be Wealthy, Don't Buy A House - Build A Business | ZeroHedge
- Why Markets Are Crashing: "Faith In Central Banks Fails" | ZeroHedge
- This Is What Central Bank Failure Looks Like (Part 3) | ZeroHedge
- Lakshman on US Slowdown, Shocks, and China | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The European auto market could finally be turning around (f) | Business Insider
- THE PAYMENTS... | Business Insider
- Here's what the editor of The Independent's website said about the end of... | Business Insider
- The US and Russia just held a passive-aggressive press conference... | Business Insider
- Female programmers on GitHub are more competent than men but their work is more likely... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- A new documentary about senior speed daters proves that in love, age doesn't matter... | Business Insider