Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Corruption: That's What Government Was Designed For | ZeroHedge
- China Stocks Crash, US Futures Flat Ahead Of More Greek Rumors | ZeroHedge
- Need To Manipulate Markets? Just Email The Bank Of England At email@example.com | ZeroHedge
- Switzerland To Open Bitcoin Bank As Crypto "Fort Knox" Relocates To Zurich | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Stocks Are Crashing | ZeroHedge
- Greece Feigned Deal Progress, Launched Rumors To Avert Bank Run | ZeroHedge
- The Global Economy As Seen From "The Man In The Moon" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 things you need to know before European markets open | Business Insider
- This sad chart shows that women are paid less the men in ALL 50 states | Business Insider
- Google's Android M: Maybe for milkshake, or maybe not? | Business Insider
- China's most wanted fugitive is in US custody after being caught with a... | Business Insider
- Here's what happens when you compare the Clintons' vast wealth... | Business Insider
- Google played it safe today, and the tech industry is a little worse for it (GOOG) | Business Insider
- Big changes are coming to Google's struggling social platform, Google+ (GOOG) | Business Insider