Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- What Unilever just Said About Consumers Around the World: “It’s Really Tough out There” | ZeroHedge
- This Is How Caterpillar Just Blew Away Q3 Earnings | ZeroHedge
- A Fine Week | iBankCoin.com
- Are You DTF? | iBankCoin.com
- Buy the Dip or Sell the Rally | Financial Sense
- The American Dream Is Still Possible, Just Not In The US | ZeroHedge
- It’s a green back for a reason!! | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here Are Some Of The American Adults Who Started Live-Action Role Playing And Never Stopped | Business Insider
- Ebola Case Confirmed In New York City | Business Insider
- SODASTREAM EXPLODES (SODA, PEP) | Business Insider
- Senior US Officials Describe The 'Big... | Business Insider
- Top 10 News... | StreetInsider.com
- A Developer Says Apple Sent Him... | Business Insider
- Hazmat Suit Maker Shares Are Going Wild Again (LAKE) | Business Insider