Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Tale of Two Economies: Industrial vs. Consumer | Financial Sense
- A Trump Supporter Reacts To The Democratic Convention | ZeroHedge
- A Psychiatric Diagnosis Of The U.S. 'Market' | ZeroHedge
- Previewing The BOJ's Decision: What Wall Street Expects Will Happen | ZeroHedge
- Durable Goods Orders Crash Most In 2 Years - Longest Non-Recessionary Streak Of Declines In US History | ZeroHedge
- Atlanta Fed Just Slashed its Q2 GDP Estimate To 1.8%, Cycle Low | ZeroHedge
- Russia To US: "Sort Out Your Own Hacking Scandal; It Is Not Our Headache" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Americans are growing shorter than the rest of the world | Business Insider
- Here's the full text of Obama's big DNC speech | Business Insider
- These are the six features that players want most from Pokémon Go | Business Insider
- Police are increasing their presence in LGBTQ spaces post-Orlando... | Business Insider
- The 20 best movies on Amazon Prime you've probably never heard of | Business Insider
- Microsoft is laying off another 2,850 people in the next 12 months (MSFT... | Business Insider
- The bizarre and Freudian history behind McDonald’s golden arches | Business Insider