Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Q4 GDP Revised Down To 2.2% From 5.0%: Full Breakdown | ZeroHedge
- Eric Sprott Was Right — Oil Slump Says ‘No’ to Recovery Story (Sprott’s Thoughts) | ZeroHedge
- Chicago PMI Crashes Most Since Lehman To Lowest Since July 2009 | ZeroHedge
- EM Euro Issuance Will Be Highest In A Decade On QE | ZeroHedge
- As IMF Default Looms & Tax Revenues Plunge, Greek Stocks & Bonds Tumble | ZeroHedge
- Welcome To Obama-Land | ZeroHedge
- MeeT JoHNNY JiHaD... | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Di Maria vows to fire United to top four finish | Business Insider
- New Zealand, Australia clash as India target Perth stroll... | Business Insider
- Warren Buffett's diet is yet another example of why you can't be Warren Buffett... | Business Insider
- STOCKS FALL: Here's what you need to know (USO, OIL, IEP, WTW, AIG) | Business Insider
- A perfectly round 'anti-smartphone' is coming out later this year | Business Insider
- 21 glorious, vintage photographs of NASA's glory days | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek