Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Oil & Gas Show | iBankCoin.com
- Watch As Donetsk Locals Stop A Ukraine Tank | ZeroHedge
- Let’s See if This Has Legs | iBankCoin.com
- "Growth" Stocks Tumble To 7-Month Lows To "Value" As Bond Yields Collapse | ZeroHedge
- Tuesday Humor: Biggest Fed Dove Concerned About "Real Erosion Of People's Purchasing Power" | ZeroHedge
- Prince Bandar bin Sultan, Head Of Saudi Intelligence, Has Been Sacked | ZeroHedge
- Crude Alert: Gartman Is Now Long Oil | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 14 Surprising Things That Affect Your Willpower And... | Business Insider
- Cliff Asness Discusses The Basic Investing Strategy That's Made Him One Of The Most Successful... | Business Insider
- New York Mayor Bill De Blasio Pays A Lower Tax Rate Than Mitt Romney | Business Insider
- 5 People Killed At A House Party Near The University Of Calgary | Business Insider
- Market Wrap:... | StreetInsider.com
- Trading Radar for 04/10: Rite... | StreetInsider.com
- Google Wants To Create Smart Contact Lenses With Cameras Inside | Business Insider