Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Long and Short of It | Financial Sense
- China Says No to Bitcoins, but Yes to the Russian Ruble | Financial Sense
- Arkansas Nuclear Facility Offline Following Fire, Possible Explosion | ZeroHedge
- One Time! | iBankCoin.com
- American "Servants" Make Less Now Than They Did in 1910 | ZeroHedge
- The Fallacy Of The Volcker Rule (Or "Fixing" The Banks In 5 Easy Steps) | ZeroHedge
- Focus on Earnings | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- This Cute Graphic Breaks Down The 3 Million Pounds Of Commodities Needed To... | Business Insider
- An Unusual 1,300-Year Old Chinese Fishing Method Using Birds Is Vanishing | Business Insider
- Here's What Really Happens At A Tesla Supercharger Station | Business Insider
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime... | StreetInsider.com
- Cold-Resistant Japanese Cockroaches Have Arrived In NYC | Business Insider
- Pantene Produces An Overtly Feminist Ad — But It Won't Be Seen In The US | Business Insider
- Cold Grips America As Huge Storm Blankets East Coast | Business Insider