Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Frontrunning: June 30 | ZeroHedge
- This Is Nothing | iBankCoin.com
- Why There Is No Growth: The Entire S&P 500 Free Cash Flow Is Going Back To Shareholders | ZeroHedge
- Europe's Controlled Demolition | ZeroHedge
- Non-Seasonally-Adjusted ISM Manufacturing Plunges To 2015 Lows As Production Tumbles | ZeroHedge
- Varoufakis Confirms Greece Will Default To IMF Today | ZeroHedge
- The Best And Worst Performing Assets In June And The First Half Of 2015 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A nearby black hole just erupted for the first time in 26 years and scientists are... | Business Insider
- Scientists just discovered a simple way to eat healthier and lose weight, no... | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and Acquisitions 7/... | StreetInsider.com
- One of the fastest players in baseball scores inside-the-park home run in 14... | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Pete Sampras explains what he wish he knew before becoming successful | Business Insider
- Notable Mergers and... | StreetInsider.com