Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- "Markets In Turmoil" S&P 500 Loses 'Crucial' 2,000 Level As Bond Yields Slump | ZeroHedge
- UK's Cameron Goes Full Scaremonger: "We Will Be Fighting ISIS For Decades" | ZeroHedge
- Here Comes Scary September | iBankCoin.com
- More on the Casinos | iBankCoin.com
- Small Cap Relative Strength | Financial Sense
- Pakistan Faces (Another) Military Coup As PM Charged With Murder | ZeroHedge
- Dear Future American Generations, You Are Screwed | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Splunk Earnings: What Wall Street's Saying | TheStreet.com
- Frustrating Boston Scientific Is Not What the Investor Ordered | TheStreet.com
- Stunning Time-Lapse Video Shows Just How Huge Burning Man Really Is | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day... | StreetInsider.com
- The Key Differences Between Alibaba And Amazon In One Chart | Business Insider
- Putin Directly Addressed Rebels In Ukraine For The First Time, And He Used... | Business Insider
- America's Best Young Entrepreneurs 2011 | BusinessWeek