Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Deutsche Bank: De-Globalization Trend Not as Clear as It Seems | Financial Sense
- China Admits "Economic Downturn Just Beginning", Slashes Salary Guidelines | ZeroHedge
- Are Fiscal Stimulus Expectations Too High? | Financial Sense
- As Dakota Celebrates, Trump Advisors Propose Privatizing Oil-Rich Indian Reservations | ZeroHedge
- Denzel Washington Slams Mainstream Media For Peddling "Bullshit" | ZeroHedge
- The Dramatic Impact Of Surging Rates On Housing And Refis In One Chart | ZeroHedge
- France: Decomposing In Front Of Our Eyes | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- A 'human swan' flew 4,500 miles using a... | Business Insider
- A self-made millionaire shares 3 wealth-building... | Business Insider
- CEO of Japanese telecom SoftBank says company will bring... | Business Insider
- The Pentagon disregarded an internal study saying it could save... | Business Insider
- Jeremy Hunt seeks to calm China concerns on Brexit in... | Business Insider
- Chipotle tanked after saying it dropped the ball on customer... | Business Insider
- SpaceX won't try to launch a rocket again until next year | Business Insider