Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Final Q4 GDP Unchanged At 2.2%, Below Expectations; Corporate Profits Tumble | ZeroHedge
- Turkey Devolves Into A Full Police State: Law Grants Unlimited Powers To Weaponized Police Force | ZeroHedge
- Japanese Government Bonds Are Crashing - Biggest Surge in Yields In 2 Years | ZeroHedge
- The Battlefield is Primed for Carnage | iBankCoin.com
- Market View Update - March 2015 | Financial Sense
- Welfare Nation Alert: Disability Fund To Run Out Of Cash In Two Years | ZeroHedge
- Experimenting in the Orient Again | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These are the things investigators will have to... | Business Insider
- Apple Watch app developers are facing a load of... | Business Insider
- Cameron, Miliband open UK election campaign with TV... | Business Insider
- US consumers are feeling great | Business Insider
- Intel may be about to drop $10 billion on what could be its biggest... | Business Insider
- This is the question the jury in the Pao case was sent back to vote on again | Business Insider
- Nigeria's Jonathan calls for peaceful vote | Business Insider