Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Welcome To Liberland: The Tiny Strip Of Land In Europe Where 360,000 People Have Applied For Citizenship | ZeroHedge
- 4 Charts Show Why This Rally May Become A Rout! | ZeroHedge
- “Fear Trade” Alert—Again | Financial Sense
- Losing Faith? Traders Dump Japanese Stocks At Fastest Pace In History | ZeroHedge
- The Season Of The Glitch (Or "Why Retail Investors Have No Chance") | ZeroHedge
- #Wynn-ing? Casino Magnate Joins Trump Campaign | ZeroHedge
- ECB Keeps Rates Unchanged, Focus Turns To Draghi Press Conference | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Work to do for Michigan at quarterback, Utah feeling... | Business Insider
- Here's how we ranked the best US cities to change your job | Business Insider
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Futures are lower after the jobs report (SPY, DJI, IXIC) | Business Insider
- Argentina: doors are open to welcome Syrian refugees | Business Insider
- This is our best look yet at Apple's new spaceship campus (AAPL) | Business Insider
- Jeb Bush just trolled Donald Trump after he signed a document pledging... | Business Insider