Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Goldman: "The Boost From Lower Taxes Will Now Be Smaller, Occur Later Than Expected" | ZeroHedge
- US Debt of $20 Trillion Visualized In Stacks Of Physical Cash | ZeroHedge
- Imagining a World After Fossil Fuels | Financial Sense
- Investors Dump Euro Bonds, Shift Into US | Financial Sense
- Wall Street Explains What Today's Failure To Repeal Obamacare Means For Markets | ZeroHedge
- "Policy Error" Is Back: Deutsche Warns Two Things Can Derail The Market's "Most Crowded Trades" | ZeroHedge
- Major Bull Sees Much Smaller Returns for 2017 | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 21 common grammar mistakes and how to avoid them | Business Insider
- 'Is he ready to apologize?': Fox News anchor confronts... | Business Insider
- 3 signs you should give house flipping a shot, according to a man who's been in real... | Business Insider
- Treasury Secretary Mnuchin says AI taking US jobs is '50-100... | Business Insider
- Amazon's Hit Man | BusinessWeek
- US confirms its airstrike near ISIS'... | Business Insider
- A heated battle between Amazon and an Alibaba-... | Business Insider