Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Sides With Russia On Sanctions; Ambassador Warns "Western Nations Would Be Hurting Themselves" | ZeroHedge
- Caution Ahead: A Look at the Performance of the U.S. Transportation System | iBankCoin.com
- Stocks: October 2007 vs. March 2014 | Financial Sense
- Weekend Video Analysis 03/08/14 | iBankCoin.com
- The Demise Of The American Dream (In 2 Charts) | ZeroHedge
- Weekend Top 100 | iBankCoin.com
- China’s Credit Markets Under Pressure | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- One Chart That Shows How Much Nike Dominates The NBA | Business Insider
- Flight Technology Now Draws Inspiration From Jellyfish | Business Insider
- North Korean-Flagged Tanker Docks At Seized... | Business Insider
- Pre-Open... | StreetInsider.com
- ... | StreetInsider.com
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek