Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- We Like Valeant Pharmaceuticals for a Trade (Video) | ZeroHedge
- No June Swoon, Bye Bye in July? | Financial Sense
- Gold Soars Most In 42 Years For British Buyers | ZeroHedge
- Hillary Clinton Omitted One Key Email From The State Department Review | ZeroHedge
- Chinese Bankruptcies Surge More Than 50% In Q1; Worse To Come | ZeroHedge
- Brexit Leaves Markets in Upheaval | Financial Sense
- UK Polls Close As Nigel Farage Says That "Remain Will Edge It"; Sterling Soars | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- THE PAYMENTS... | Business Insider
- The most dangerous place in the world is about to get a whole lot scarier | Business Insider
- Why the Supreme Court's decision on affirmative action in college... | Business Insider
- I've earned nearly half a million dollars in my life: Here are 7 ways I've learned money makes things easier | Business Insider
- Democrats just approved a draft of their party platform, and... | Business Insider
- These minimalist 'Game of Thrones' GIFs are a mesmerizing, cutesy take on the... | Business Insider
- This nation has a more aggressive plan... | Business Insider