Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Gun Sales Soar After Surge In US Mass Shootings | ZeroHedge
- MeMoiR OF a KeYNeSiaN BuBBLe MaeSTRO... | ZeroHedge
- Peak Manipulation: Resorting To Contradictory Headlines To Lift Stocks | ZeroHedge
- Biotechs Butchered As Oil Orgasms In Otherwise Uneventful Day | ZeroHedge
- A Useful Prep-Sheet On Syria For Media Propagandists | ZeroHedge
- Saudi Clerics Call For Jihad Against Russia, Iran; NATO Warns Of Airspace "Violations" | ZeroHedge
- Caught On Tape: Furious French Workers Attack Air France Executives, Rip Their Clothes Off | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Latest: Kajita, McDonald awarded Nobel physics prize | Business Insider
- Two-try Macovei leads Romania to upset World Cup win | Business Insider
- 10 things in tech you need to know today (AAPL, TWTR, AMZN, LNKD, GOOG) | Business Insider
- Nobel Medicine Prize opens week of awards | Business Insider
- Turkey says Russian warplane violated its airspace | Business Insider
- The Twitter follow lists of the 2016 candidates | Business Insider
- Amazon Prime is wreaking havoc on college mailrooms (AMZN) | Business Insider