Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Key Events In The Coming Week | ZeroHedge
- The Real Cost Of War | ZeroHedge
- Q2 GDP Revised Upward | Financial Sense
- A Look at the Coming 30-Year Inflation Cycle | Financial Sense
- Saudi King Warns ISIS "Will Reach Europe In One Month, US In Two" | ZeroHedge
- THe EViDeNCe... | ZeroHedge
- Will Ukraine Retake the East From Separatists? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Abercrombie & Fitch's Sales Decline Is Hammering the Stock | TheStreet.com
- A Professional Medicine Hunter Reveals The 5 Plants To Boost Your Sex Life | Business Insider
- 10 TV Shows to Binge Watch Before the Fall Season | TheStreet.com
- Here's The Difference Between Biotech Bubbles And Bubbles That Actually Matter... | Business Insider
- 18 Prestigious Jobs With Surprisingly Low Pay | Business Insider
- Frustrating Boston Scientific Is Not What the Investor Ordered | TheStreet.com
- Health workers death toll mounts in W.Africa as Ebola... | Business Insider