Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Ultimate Carry Trade: U.S. Banks Buying Treasuries | Financial Sense
- United States Of China: In Which States Is Your Landlord Most Likely To Be Chinese | ZeroHedge
- Won't You Be My Neighbor? | ZeroHedge
- STTG Market Recap October 22, 2014 | FundMyMutualFund
- Meanwhile, This Is Who Is Quietly Buying All The Cheap Oil | ZeroHedge
- McDonalds Sales Plunge In Worst Month Since 2003 Following Dollar Meal "Sticker Shock" | ZeroHedge
- 19 Surprising Facts About The Messed Up State Of The US Economy | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Staples Investigating Possible Credit Card Data Breach at Stores | TheStreet.com
- Ben Bernanke Gave A Private Speech To High-Powered Investors In Tokyo, Here's What He... | Business Insider
- Australian convicted in child sex sting using virtual... | Business Insider
- Russia takes bite out of McDonald's with US... | Business Insider
- The Ridiculous Reason The Kansas City Royals Have A Huge Advantage In The... | Business Insider
- Britain's Finances Are An Astonishing Mess Compared To Those Of The US... | Business Insider
- Benedict Cumberbatch Rolled Around On A Carpet To Bring The Dragon In... | Business Insider