Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Ackman Unleashes Herbalife's Biggest Single-Day Gain Ever | ZeroHedge
- Getting a Handle on Oil | iBankCoin.com
- Efficient Markets? August Oil Futures Flash Smash & Crash Into Expiry | ZeroHedge
- Obama's Ukraine Update - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- AK-47 Sales Soar After US Sanctions Kalashnikov Imports | ZeroHedge
- Which Way Is Inflation Blowing? Watch Commodities | Financial Sense
- Gaza Right Now: In Pictures | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com
- The Strange Story Of How Rhode Island Accidentally Legalized... | Business Insider
- Tesla Will Temporarily Stop Making The Model S To Gear Up For Its New SUV | Business Insider
- The Israeli Army Is Suffering Some Of Its Most Severe Losses In Years | Business Insider
- Here's Your Complete Preview Of This Week's Big Economic Events | Business Insider
- Inside The Brooklyn Factory That Makes Suits For America's Most Powerful Men [... | Business Insider
- Samsung Is In Trouble... (AAPL, GOOG) | Business Insider