Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Biggest Credit Bubble in History Runs Out Of Time | ZeroHedge
- ECB Moving Closer to Unconventional Policy | Financial Sense
- The Crowd Mine | Financial Sense
- Man Eats Twelve Gold Bars To Avoid Taxes ! Tell Nouriel | ZeroHedge
- Guest Post: Investors Are "Whistling Past The Graveyard" Over Global Geopolitics | ZeroHedge
- Meet AISight - The "Pre-Crime"-Detecting Software Being Installed On Global CCTVs | ZeroHedge
- Disgusted Kerry And Lavrov Can't Even Hold A Phone Conversation Any More | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Larry Page Tried To Sell Google... | Business Insider
- Nevada Rancher Cliven Bundy Doubles Down On Racist Comments In... | Business Insider
- Here's What Really Happened In The Armenian Genocide That Obama Refuses To Acknowledge... | Business Insider
- 'Game Of Thrones' Author George R.R. Martin Explains How A... | Business Insider
- Apple Preparing to Crush Competition Again | TheStreet.com
- Jim Cramer on Caterpillar, American Airlines and Apple Earnings | TheStreet.com
- Greenpeace Tells Obama To Make 'More Responsible' Food Choices After Meal At... | Business Insider