Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Fed's Lockhart Sends Stocks Reeling; Dollar, Bond Yields Soaring | ZeroHedge
- Thoughts About Chinese Stocks, Reserves, and SDR Inclusion | Financial Sense
- American Oligarchy: 400 Families Represent 50% Of Money Raised by 2016 Presidential Candidates So Far | ZeroHedge
- This Is Your "New Economy": These 10 Startups Are Valued At $156 Billion On $4 Billion In Revenue | ZeroHedge
- Trump Tops Pre-Debate Polls, Slams Koch Conference Attendees As "Puppets" | ZeroHedge
- Politicians Seek Short-Term Advantages By Lecturing Capitalists About The Long Term | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: August 3 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Malaysia graft agency says PM's funds not linked to... | Business Insider
- 54 pictures of President Obama discovering his inner child on his 54th birthday | Business Insider
- The entire world could realistically quit smoking if governments... | Business Insider
- Asia security talks open with South China Sea tensions | Business Insider
- Mark Cuban explains one of his top investing rules, courtesy of star venture... | Business Insider
- How Google charmed the Israeli tech industry with this wild and beautiful office... | Business Insider
- US auto sales are on fire (HMC, TM, F, GM, FCAU) | Business Insider