Volatility is the Stock Pick (VXX)
The trade this week was not Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) hitting $500. It's been the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) and yesterday the fund finished up 5.6%.
(WallStNation.com) Since Wednesday of last week (Feb 6th) the VXX has jumped 16%. Last summer we witnessed the VXX increase 109% in 30 days while the Dow Jones has plunged 13.6%. The Volatility Index (VIX), also known as the "Fear Index" has increased 11% in the past 4 trading sessions and hit 21.70 today. In 2012 the VIX has spiked 10% in four trading sessions only twice.
The "VIX" or Volatility Index is based on data collected by the Chicago Board Options Exchange. Each day, the CBOE calculates a number based on prices paid for puts and calls for the S&P 500. This number gives traders an idea of the implied volatility in the market for 30 days.
A direct investment in VIX (commonly referred to as spot VIX) is not possible. The S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE:VXX) holds VIX futures contracts, which could involve roll costs and exhibit different risk and return characteristics.
Bottom line: Traders are looking to the VXX thanks to the uncertainty with Greece 's debt and everything else under the sun. This 17% jump since last week could be a new trend if the headlines do not improve.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Paypal is to be Spun Off | iBankCoin.com
- UMBReLLa ReVoLuTioN... | ZeroHedge
- Another Small Town Throwdown | iBankCoin.com
- "The Information War For Ukraine" | ZeroHedge
- "I Am Putting Everything In Goldman Sachs Because These Guys Can Do Whatever The Hell They Want" | ZeroHedge
- Why Europe's Doomsayers Are Right, In One Chart | ZeroHedge
- NYSE Margin Debt Drifts Higher | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 Things In Tech You Need To Know Today | Business Insider
- Silicon Valley Heavy Hitters Mock Over-Hyped Startups To Promote Ron... | Business Insider
- Stocks With International Exposure Have Been Underperformers (DIA, SPY, QQQ, TLT, F) | Business Insider
- GoPro Has Three New Cameras, And One Of Them Can Shoot 4K Video (GPRO) | Business Insider
- The EU Says Apple May Have Avoided Billions In Taxes Over 10 Years | Business Insider
- What It's Like To Eat At The New Upscale Vietnamese Sandwich Shop From Taco Bell's Parent... | Business Insider
- Here's The Video That Made 9-11 Truthers Think A Senator Was On... | Business Insider