McDonald’s (MCD) gains International Popularity
In the first four days it went on sale, McDonald’s sold 3.32 million Mega Mac hamburgers in Japan, doubling the company’s expectations. Fearing that they wouldn’t be able to keep up with demand, they started limiting the number of Mega Macs sold. Japanese Mega Mac lovers are actually lining up outside of the store to get a taste of this 754 calorie monster of a hamburger. Can you say holy crap? Who would have thought the Japanese would push their Sushi aside and run to McDonald’s to grab a hamburger with 4 patties?
What does this mean for McDonald’s stock price?
Earnings in Japan had collapsed in 2005 for McDonald’s, and this is a strong indication that their international restaurants are thriving once again. Additionally, they are planning on combing gas stations with Mickey D’s in China, in a deal with Sinopec, one of China’s major Gas distributors. With 31,000 locations topick from across China, you can bet they won’t have a problem finding high volume store locations. China currently has about 780 outlets in China, and plans to increase that by 1,000 by 2008 for the Beijing Olympics. The Mega Mac will increase sales worldwide and most likely spur another documentary by Morgan Spurlock. Can't you just see it now, Morgan living on Mega Macs and traveling the world stuffing his face full at every destination? Of course he would probably yack up the first few Mega Macs like he did in 'Super Size Me' so he would need help from Japan's Takeru “The Tsunami” Kobayashi. If you haven't seen this guy put down hot dogs like Frito's, it's worth a watch, he holds the record at 53 3/4 hot dogs in just 12 minutes. Just imagine him chomping down on Mega Macs, how many do you think he could put down before they all came up? I'm sure Spike TV will have that on later in the year.
McDonald’s share price has hit a 3 week low this week, after reporting record Q4 earnings, doubling their profit. We believe that growth should continue with their efforts in the international markets. A 2.3% annual dividend rate that is sure to increase in the future, coupled with a forward P/E of just 15.22, leads us to believe that MCD is currently undervalued.
According to McDonald's website:
"Since going public in 1965, McDonald's has paid twelve stock splits. In fact, an investment of $2,250 in 100 shares at that time, had grown to 74,360 shares worth approximately $3.3 million as of year-end market close on December 29, 2006.
McDonald's has a long history of increasing our dividend. In fact, the Company has raised its dividend each and every year since paying its first dividend 30 years ago. The Company has more than quadrupled the dividend from 23.5 cents per share in 2002 to $1.00 per share in 2006. Dividends are paid on an annual basis, generally in December."
The drop in share price after an outstanding Q4 earnings report should be viewed as a blessing by investors. Even if you hate everything McDonald's stands for, why not cash in on their global success?
Because if you don't, they will anyway.
The Stockmasters are setting a price target of $50 by the end of 2007 just banking on these two young McDonald's customers. Dah, Dah, Dah, Dah-Dah...I'm lovin' it.
Article written by:
Article posted on:
January 29th, 2007
Disclaimer: The Author does not own any shares of McDonald's Corp. (MCD), nor does he own any long or short positions the securities mentioned in this article.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Doug Casey On Why It's OK To Discriminate | ZeroHedge
- Bernanke 'Terrifies' Stock Investors, Again | ZeroHedge
- No Roads Needed: Google-Backed Flying Cars For Sale By End Of 2017 | ZeroHedge
- North Korea Releases Video Simulating War With The U.S. | ZeroHedge
- S&P 500; Dangerous place to run out of gas! | ZeroHedge
- Japan Warns Citizens To Prepare For North Korean Missile Attack | ZeroHedge
- Pentagon Inspector General Launches Investigation Of Michael Flynn | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China just unveiled its first homemade... | Business Insider
- If moderate Republicans flip on the health bill, they will regret it... | Business Insider
- French intelligence report says Assad forces... | Business Insider
- Caitlyn Jenner defends voting for Trump: 'I'm not a one-issue... | Business Insider
- Man sues Coke after allegedly finding mouse in soda (KO) | Business Insider
- 17 phenomenal 'Game of Thrones' scenes that weren't in the books... | Business Insider
- Some of the latest ESPN layoffs are part of an effort to save its dying flagship... | Business Insider