Junior Miners: Profitability or Bust
In the ongoing saga of bullish vs. bearish miner and Jr. miner plays the clear winner was the anti-miner ETFs. That would be the Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bear 3x Shares ETF (DUST) and Direxion Daily Junior Gold Miners Index Bear 3X Shares ETF (JDST) killing the miners in huge gains.
On Friday the JDST ended up 36%, yes that's a single day's trade. The JDST started the day at $17.32, got as high as $20.40 and closed at $20.32. The DUST also did well ending the day up 27% to $30.16. The true benefactor are not the new traders or robots playing these ETFs but Direxion itself. They are laughing all the way to the bank on these ETFs.
Founded in 1997, Direxion has 4 offices in the U.S. and Hong Kong. According to their timeline they entered the ETF game in 2012. I would bet that 2014 was their most profitable year yet and a big thanks to the pro-miner and anti-miner ETFs. They also bank coin from the bullish miner ETFs: irexion Shares Exchange Traded Fund Trust (NUGT), and Direxion Shares Exchange Traded Fund Trust (JNUG)
There really isn't much hope for the miners right now as we pointed out in Finally a credible story on Junior Miners (DUST, JDST, NUGT, JNUG)
Mastery Bottom line:
Who will be left standing after we finally get a bottom in gold prices? Who knows. But what will continue to occur is the volatility with the gold and silver miners. Until stability sets in expect the DUST, JDST, NUGT, and JNUG to swing wildly.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Market Looking Toppy; Exercise Patience | Financial Sense
- Sugar Is at the Heart of America's Health Problems | Financial Sense
- "We've Reached Our Limits" - Greece Begins Blocking Refugees | ZeroHedge
- Watch Live: Navalny Arrested As Opposition Protests Sweep Russia | ZeroHedge
- Why The Healthcare Reform Bill Went Down In Flames | ZeroHedge
- Massive 100 Kilogram Gold Coin Worth $4.5 Million Stolen From German Museum | ZeroHedge
- SocGen Reveals The Best Trading Strategy Of The Year | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Jared Kushner had a previously undisclosed meeting with the CEO of '... | Business Insider
- Uber has suspended its self-driving-car tests in... | Business Insider
- A top Goldman Sachs dealmaker says she learned a major career lesson eating in a cafeteria in Milan | Business Insider
- We got a peek inside a $20 million apartment in the... | Business Insider
- How a tiny Spanish island became the setting for the deadliest plane crash ever | Business Insider
- Technical issues are forcing Amazon to delay the public... | Business Insider
- Here's who has the most to lose if the government starts negotiating drug... | Business Insider