Deadpool beats the Matrix and 50 Shades with New 'R' Rated $150M Opening Run
Let me say first hand, DEADPOOL is that good and a bag of chips. Funny, crazy, sexy, explosions.. fucking awesome. I found myself laughing so hard at parts that I missed the next joke as did the theater. I can imagine many people are going back to the theater for 2 scoops to watch it again. Congrats Ryan Reynolds, you have redeemed Deadpool for who he is.
Walt Disney Co. (DIS) would never put their name on this film, it's all Twenty-First Century Fox Inc (FOXA)'. As many of you know FOXA has the license to make Marvel properties X-MEN and that includes Deadpool.
DEADPOOL cost $38 million to make. It was shot in Vancouver, they didn't travel all over the place, and the special effects they needed were cost efficent and looked great. They opted for less gun battles and expensive effects, replaced by close combat and outstanding dialogue. Few locations, nothing crazy like on top of a mountain or CGI battle on top of a cooling tower (oh wait that was the shitty ending for Deadpool in X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE).
As of Sunday, the international total had topped $132 million. Fox estimated Monday that the international total would hit $150 million, pushing worldwide grosses to $300 million.
HOW COULD THEY MAKE SUCH A RAD MOVIE?
One word - Thrifty.
Via i09 Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick and mere days before the film was set to get an official green light, the writers, director and producers sat down with 20th Century Fox executives, and were given a near impossible task.
“We had to carve something like $7-8 million out of the budget in a 48-hour window,” Reese told io9. “And we, as a group, just put our heads together, got creative, and said ‘How do we cut what is essentially nine pages out of a 110 page script?’”
It wasn’t easy. The duo had already been tinkering with their script and making changes at least once a year over the course of six and a half years of development. The most radical of those changes involved creating a version that dialed the film’s violence and balls-to-the-wall humor down from R to PG-13. Thankfully, that didn’t stick, but several other changes did.
Including some last-minute changes that were done purely to trim the budget.
“Angel Dust, played by Gina Carano, used to be three different characters,” Reese explained. “It was Garrison Kane, Sluggo and Wire. There was a reduction of action. We had a motorcycle chase between Deadpool and Ajax on the freeway that we took out. We had a big, big gun fight in the third act that we took out and we basically had Deadpool forget his guns as a means of getting around it. So there were just reductions.”
Word is DEADPOOL 2 has been given the green light. The next installment will get more money and anyone who saw DEADPOOL over the weekend would welcome a more beefed up version of the film. However what made it great was the storyline, humor and grittiness of the film. Because they were forced to do so much with so little they got creative and made a spectacular film.
4 STARS - Highly recommend to see in the theatre.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Which Country Is America’s Biggest Enemy? | ZeroHedge
- Trump Warns Democrats "Obamacare Will Die Soon Without 'Big Money'" | ZeroHedge
- Key Highlights From Trump's AP Interview | ZeroHedge
- China’s Credit Excess Is Unlike Anything The World Has Ever Seen | ZeroHedge
- Ontario Finally Moves to Douse Real Estate Inferno | Financial Sense
- "The Retail Bubble Has Now Burst": A Record 8,640 Stores Are Closing In 2017 | ZeroHedge
- China Update - Why Is the Consensus Now So Optimistic? | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Tesla fans are about to get what they really want from the company (TSLA) | Business Insider
- It’s time for everyone to stop using traditional batteries and buy rechargeable ones... | Business Insider
- I finally tried the slipper I've been seeing ads for all over Facebook, and I loved... | Business Insider
- Mexico's unrelenting violence is climbing to new highs | Business Insider
- 'Nobody has a sense of humor anymore':... | Business Insider
- The best time of day to do different types of tasks | Business Insider
- Halliburton beats thanks to a surge in drilling activity (HAL) | Business Insider