Betting Against the Miners has Banked Massive Coin
Gold and silver miner stocks have been crushed in the past 3 months. Sure you could try and play the bounce or find the low but it has proven costly. So what has done well while these stocks continue to zero? That would be the bearish miner ETFs that jump for joy when the miners stock tank. Cue the Direxion Daily Gold Miners Bear 3x Shares ETF (DUST) and Direxion Daily Junior Gold Miners Index Bear 3X Shares ETF (JDST).
Both the DUST and JDST have pulled back since hitting their 52 week highs. These bearish ETFs have destroyed all equites since the summer. The JDST increased 300% and the DUST over 200% but have since cooled. Could this mean that the bad times are finally behind the gold and silver miners?
Who knows. What it does show is that volatility is all over these ETFs and individual stock names.
The JDST showed up late last year but YTD both these names are down. The JDST down 63% YTD and the DUST 21%. These are short term trades meant for professionals or high frequency trading robots that can catch the moves. For the average Joe Investor these can break you. Just like trying to trade the VXX which has lost its popularity after cleaning out so many portfolios since 2008.
The point of this article is to make you aware that these instruments do exist and can be played if done so with caution. If you would have bought in summer when the movement starting going higher in these bearish ETFs and believe that the miners were in doom. Congrats. Such is the case frequently with the gold and silver miners. When they get kicked in the balls they get a Bruce Lee kick, followed by the U.S. Soccer team, and finally JCVD spinning kick.
Mastery Bottom line: Rather then bet on individual miner stocks or the bullish basket ETFs. Watch when they start tanking and gamble 5% on the bearish miner ETFS via DUST or JDST. Trying to catch the bottom and go long on the miners is worse than catching razor blades with your mouth.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Artist's Impression Of Judge Gorsuch's Nomination Hearings | ZeroHedge
- Valeant: The End Of The Michael Pearson Era | ZeroHedge
- Dow Slides: Gasparino Says "No Deal" After Freedom Caucus Leaves White House | ZeroHedge
- All Eyes On Washington: US Futures Rise On Hope Healthcare Vote Will Pass | ZeroHedge
- Russophobia - Symptom Of US Implosion | ZeroHedge
- Here Are The Reasons Why Today's Republican Debacle Makes Tax Reform Less Likely | ZeroHedge
- Meet "Thankful Beggar" Seth Williams - Philadelphia's Most-Corrupt Politician Of The Year | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Starbucks adds Apple messages (SBUX, AAPL) | Business Insider
- Report suggests FBI has travel, business, and phone records that could tie Trump... | Business Insider
- The director of the mind-blowing new sci-fi thriller 'Life' explains... | Business Insider
- This startup creates awesome offices for other startups — here's how they... | Business Insider
- Here's what the cast of 'Power Rangers' looks like in real life | Business Insider
- Vice Digital gets into scripted video | Business Insider
- Porsche is celebrating its best year in history by giving every single employee a... | Business Insider