Zillow (Z) is down but not out
Zillow (Z) shares got a swift kick in the nuts thanks to soft Q4 guidance. Q4 guidance is for revenue of $30M-$31M, below a $32.5M consensus. Q4 adjusted EBITDA expected to total $3M-$3.5M, down from Q3's $7.6M.
This is typical Wall Street short-sightedness and a great opportunity to load up on shares below $30.
Here is what investors should be focusing on. Revenues were up almost 67.5% over the year ago period. For the quarter, Zillow reported record third quarter revenues of $31.915 million, which beat analyst estimates of $31.66 million. On an earnings per share front, the company reported a profit of 7 cents per share, matching expectations. In the year ago period, Zillow reported revenues of $19.057 million, and a 2 cent per share loss.
What a lot of investors don't realize are the reasons why Zillow lowered guidance. Zillow is switching from making money primarily on advertising to making money by providing leads to real-estate agents and mortgage lenders. This sounds smart in the long term, because lead generation is a business that adapts much better to mobile, and Zillow is now getting more views of homes on mobile than it is on its desktop website.
Also, Zillow is taking foreclosure listings in-house. To expand its database, Zillow now gets data from county records on foreclosed homes and lists them on its site for buyers for free. It used to sell ads to a company called Foreclosure.com. That revenue has gone away.
Mastery Bottom Line:
Make no mistake, Zillow is still a speculative stock. However, if the housing market is truly bottoming out like many think it is, now is a great time to get in. If you've used Zillow you know how powerful a tool it is. I for one can't imagine buying real estate without it.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Draghi’s Risk Is He Speaks And No One Listens | ZeroHedge
- Immigration Hard-Liners Question Trump's Homeland Security Pick | ZeroHedge
- European Bond Yields Spike, Bank Stocks Soar, EUR Tumbles After Draghi Surprise | ZeroHedge
- Buy The F**king All Time Highs: Stocks Melt-Up | ZeroHedge
- With Assad On Verge Of Historic Victory, Syrian Rebels Request A Ceasefire | ZeroHedge
- Crude Tumbles Below $50 After Biggest Cushing Build Since Jan 2009 | ZeroHedge
- BEHOLD: THE CENTURY OLD DOW THEORY SIGNAL HAS BEEN TRIGGERED | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Facebook is copying Snapchat's geofilters by letting people... | Business Insider
- Michael Jordan just won a landmark case over... | Business Insider
- I've... | Business Insider
- The world's largest food company is going after sugar — but it's missing the biggest... | Business Insider
- These photos captured the defining moments of decorated astronaut John Glenn... | Business Insider
- The 14 best colleges in the Midwest | Business Insider
- 9 gifts and gadgets for the avid reader in your life | Business Insider