Zillow (Z) is down but not out
Zillow (Z) shares got a swift kick in the nuts thanks to soft Q4 guidance. Q4 guidance is for revenue of $30M-$31M, below a $32.5M consensus. Q4 adjusted EBITDA expected to total $3M-$3.5M, down from Q3's $7.6M.
This is typical Wall Street short-sightedness and a great opportunity to load up on shares below $30.
Here is what investors should be focusing on. Revenues were up almost 67.5% over the year ago period. For the quarter, Zillow reported record third quarter revenues of $31.915 million, which beat analyst estimates of $31.66 million. On an earnings per share front, the company reported a profit of 7 cents per share, matching expectations. In the year ago period, Zillow reported revenues of $19.057 million, and a 2 cent per share loss.
What a lot of investors don't realize are the reasons why Zillow lowered guidance. Zillow is switching from making money primarily on advertising to making money by providing leads to real-estate agents and mortgage lenders. This sounds smart in the long term, because lead generation is a business that adapts much better to mobile, and Zillow is now getting more views of homes on mobile than it is on its desktop website.
Also, Zillow is taking foreclosure listings in-house. To expand its database, Zillow now gets data from county records on foreclosed homes and lists them on its site for buyers for free. It used to sell ads to a company called Foreclosure.com. That revenue has gone away.
Mastery Bottom Line:
Make no mistake, Zillow is still a speculative stock. However, if the housing market is truly bottoming out like many think it is, now is a great time to get in. If you've used Zillow you know how powerful a tool it is. I for one can't imagine buying real estate without it.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Canadian Patriot Act Arrives: Ottawa To Give Security Agencies More "Detention And Surveillance" Powers | ZeroHedge
- Buy the Dip or Sell the Rally | Financial Sense
- Tech Bellwether IBM Sees Big Earnings Miss | Financial Sense
- US Manufacturing PMI Tumbles, Biggest Miss In 14 Months | ZeroHedge
- Chart Of The Day: Jeff Bezos "Value Creation" Edition | ZeroHedge
- Back to the Future with These Two Iconic Brands | iBankCoin.com
- Why Gold Is Undervalued | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ebola Case Confirmed In New York City | Business Insider
- BoE Deputy Governor: Stop Blaming Central Bankers For Your Problems | Business Insider
- It's Not Just The Accounts: Absolutely EVERYTHING Is Going Wrong At Tesco Right Now | Business Insider
- Hong Kong's Umbrella Movement gets computer game... | Business Insider
- I Just Tried Uber's New Delivery Service 'Rush' And It Got Me My Package In 20 Minutes... | Business Insider
- Facebook's Newest App Wants To Make Old-School Internet Forums Sexy... | Business Insider
- Here's The Hilarious 'Between Two Ferns' Video With Brad... | Business Insider