Zillow (Z) is down but not out
Zillow (Z) shares got a swift kick in the nuts thanks to soft Q4 guidance. Q4 guidance is for revenue of $30M-$31M, below a $32.5M consensus. Q4 adjusted EBITDA expected to total $3M-$3.5M, down from Q3's $7.6M.
This is typical Wall Street short-sightedness and a great opportunity to load up on shares below $30.
Here is what investors should be focusing on. Revenues were up almost 67.5% over the year ago period. For the quarter, Zillow reported record third quarter revenues of $31.915 million, which beat analyst estimates of $31.66 million. On an earnings per share front, the company reported a profit of 7 cents per share, matching expectations. In the year ago period, Zillow reported revenues of $19.057 million, and a 2 cent per share loss.
What a lot of investors don't realize are the reasons why Zillow lowered guidance. Zillow is switching from making money primarily on advertising to making money by providing leads to real-estate agents and mortgage lenders. This sounds smart in the long term, because lead generation is a business that adapts much better to mobile, and Zillow is now getting more views of homes on mobile than it is on its desktop website.
Also, Zillow is taking foreclosure listings in-house. To expand its database, Zillow now gets data from county records on foreclosed homes and lists them on its site for buyers for free. It used to sell ads to a company called Foreclosure.com. That revenue has gone away.
Mastery Bottom Line:
Make no mistake, Zillow is still a speculative stock. However, if the housing market is truly bottoming out like many think it is, now is a great time to get in. If you've used Zillow you know how powerful a tool it is. I for one can't imagine buying real estate without it.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- One Man (Who Is Not A Fan Of Trump) Explains Why Trump Winning Is Good For Democracy | ZeroHedge
- EIA Inventory Report Analysis and Key Levels to Watch in the Oil Market (Video) | ZeroHedge
- The Beginning Of The End For Cruz? Here Are Five Things To Watch For In Indiana Today | ZeroHedge
- 3 "Reality-Check" Charts For America As Initial Jobless Claims Spike Most In 16 Months | ZeroHedge
- ECB Study says US data 'leaked' to key traders | ZeroHedge
- EliminaTED: Cruz Drops Out Of Presidential Race, Leaving Trump Republican Presidential Candidate | ZeroHedge
- More Lukewarm Econ Data to Match Q1 Earnings | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The ECB is getting rid of drug cartels' favorite... | Business Insider
- Sunday’s ‘Game of Thrones’ episode paid off big time for book readers | Business Insider
- The 10 things in advertising you need to know today (YHOO, GOOG) | Business Insider
- How I save money in the most expensive city in the US | Business Insider
- One of the best NBA Draft prospects is turning down millions to return to college because... | Business Insider
- A new Obama plan could result in the death of thousands... | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek