Zillow (Z) is down but not out
Zillow (Z) shares got a swift kick in the nuts thanks to soft Q4 guidance. Q4 guidance is for revenue of $30M-$31M, below a $32.5M consensus. Q4 adjusted EBITDA expected to total $3M-$3.5M, down from Q3's $7.6M.
This is typical Wall Street short-sightedness and a great opportunity to load up on shares below $30.
Here is what investors should be focusing on. Revenues were up almost 67.5% over the year ago period. For the quarter, Zillow reported record third quarter revenues of $31.915 million, which beat analyst estimates of $31.66 million. On an earnings per share front, the company reported a profit of 7 cents per share, matching expectations. In the year ago period, Zillow reported revenues of $19.057 million, and a 2 cent per share loss.
What a lot of investors don't realize are the reasons why Zillow lowered guidance. Zillow is switching from making money primarily on advertising to making money by providing leads to real-estate agents and mortgage lenders. This sounds smart in the long term, because lead generation is a business that adapts much better to mobile, and Zillow is now getting more views of homes on mobile than it is on its desktop website.
Also, Zillow is taking foreclosure listings in-house. To expand its database, Zillow now gets data from county records on foreclosed homes and lists them on its site for buyers for free. It used to sell ads to a company called Foreclosure.com. That revenue has gone away.
Mastery Bottom Line:
Make no mistake, Zillow is still a speculative stock. However, if the housing market is truly bottoming out like many think it is, now is a great time to get in. If you've used Zillow you know how powerful a tool it is. I for one can't imagine buying real estate without it.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- 25 Years Of Neocon-Neoliberalism: Great For The Top 5%, A Disaster For Everyone Else | ZeroHedge
- Donald Trump, Betsy DeVos and School Choice | Financial Sense
- "And You Thought Mass Hysteria Was Over..." | ZeroHedge
- David Rosenberg: "The Travesty Is We Have 23.5 Million Americans Aged 25-To-54 Outside The Labor Force" | ZeroHedge
- 500,000 Women Swamp Washington For Anti-Trump Protest March - Live Feed | ZeroHedge
- Summing Up 8 Years Of Barack Obama | ZeroHedge
- In Stunning Admission, Draghi Says A Country Can Leave Eurozone But Must "Settle Bill First" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Ken Griffin's $26 billion firm has made a hire from... | Business Insider
- These 30-something school teachers retired with over $1 million after only... | Business Insider
- Aerial photos show the contrast between crowds at Trump’s inauguration... | Business Insider
- Royals pitcher Yordano Ventura was killed in a car accident... | Business Insider
- How the mafia used a lion to collect money | Business Insider
- The US just put China on notice with F-35s in the Pacific — but China may be... | Business Insider
- Steelers forced to evacuate hotel at 3 am after a Boston-area man... | Business Insider