Zillow (Z) is down but not out
Zillow (Z) shares got a swift kick in the nuts thanks to soft Q4 guidance. Q4 guidance is for revenue of $30M-$31M, below a $32.5M consensus. Q4 adjusted EBITDA expected to total $3M-$3.5M, down from Q3's $7.6M.
This is typical Wall Street short-sightedness and a great opportunity to load up on shares below $30.
Here is what investors should be focusing on. Revenues were up almost 67.5% over the year ago period. For the quarter, Zillow reported record third quarter revenues of $31.915 million, which beat analyst estimates of $31.66 million. On an earnings per share front, the company reported a profit of 7 cents per share, matching expectations. In the year ago period, Zillow reported revenues of $19.057 million, and a 2 cent per share loss.
What a lot of investors don't realize are the reasons why Zillow lowered guidance. Zillow is switching from making money primarily on advertising to making money by providing leads to real-estate agents and mortgage lenders. This sounds smart in the long term, because lead generation is a business that adapts much better to mobile, and Zillow is now getting more views of homes on mobile than it is on its desktop website.
Also, Zillow is taking foreclosure listings in-house. To expand its database, Zillow now gets data from county records on foreclosed homes and lists them on its site for buyers for free. It used to sell ads to a company called Foreclosure.com. That revenue has gone away.
Mastery Bottom Line:
Make no mistake, Zillow is still a speculative stock. However, if the housing market is truly bottoming out like many think it is, now is a great time to get in. If you've used Zillow you know how powerful a tool it is. I for one can't imagine buying real estate without it.
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- John Murphy on Intermarket Analysis and the Sequence of Market Peaks | Financial Sense
- US Confirms Coalition Airstrike In Mosul May Have Killed As Many As 240 Civilians | ZeroHedge
- Howard Marks Redux: "There They Go Again" - Why Stock Investors Develop Amnesia | ZeroHedge
- McCaiN WoRLD ORDeR... | ZeroHedge
- Imagining a World After Fossil Fuels | Financial Sense
- The Difficulties in Making US Manufacturing Great Again | Financial Sense
- Felix Zulauf: 2017 Could Be a "Game Changer" | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- EPA chief says Trump will sign an order to undo Obama'... | Business Insider
- Charles Barkley says Michael Jordan used to wager 'hundreds of thousands... | Business Insider
- The media have finally figured out how to cover Trump's lies | Business Insider
- China is investing billions into US startups building cutting-... | Business Insider
- 21 common grammar mistakes and how to avoid them | Business Insider
- This Trump tweet was one of his most terrifying lies yet | Business Insider
- The new era of payment processing will change everything | Business Insider