Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Barack Obama May Have Finally Destroyed America's #1 Advantage | ZeroHedge
- Three Political Risks to Watch Out for Post-US Election | Financial Sense
- WTI Slides After Biggest Inventory Build In 4 Months | ZeroHedge
- The Schizophrenic Fed | Financial Sense
- Four More Mega-Banks Join The Anti-Dollar Alliance | ZeroHedge
- Tennessee Insurance Commissioner Warns Obamacare "Very Near Collapse" | ZeroHedge
- Demographic HomeMageddon Underway... Will Last Until At Least 2035 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The kicker the Buccaneers drafted bafflingly high has been a mess in the preseason | Business Insider
- 21 movie references you might have missed in Netflix's 'Stranger Things... | Business Insider
- This brutal table explains everything that is going on in money management right... | Business Insider
- STOCKS DO NOTHING: Here's what you need to know | Business Insider
- The 6 best tech accessories you can buy for your Amazon tablet | Business Insider
- The YouTuber behind the 'African Drug Lord... | Business Insider
- Top US sneaker reseller Stadium Goods is now tapping into the Chinese... | Business Insider