Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Something Appears To Be Going On With Gold | ZeroHedge
- Service PMI Misses, Tumbles To 7-Month Lows, "Extreme Weather" Warning For GDP Issued | ZeroHedge
- Faith, Math and Circular Logic: Why Bitcoin is More Valuable Than ANY Fiat Currency Today! | ZeroHedge
- Artist's Impression Of The Obama Branches Of Government | ZeroHedge
- Q3 GDP Revised Above Highest Estimate, Prints 3.9% | ZeroHedge
- Eurozone Moves in Wrong Direction, While the British Go Shopping and Japanese Exports Jump | Financial Sense
- Russia Might Be Forced to Cut Oil Production | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Incredible Story Of The Women Who Were Meant To Be The First Astronauts — And... | Business Insider
- Stagnant eurozone poses 'major risk' to world... | Business Insider
- Twitter Needs a Bold Acquisition; Here's What It Should Buy | TheStreet.com
- Germany's Consumers Saved The Country... | Business Insider
- This Video Appears To Show The Moment A Police Car Was Lit On Fire In Ferguson | Business Insider
- Smugglers Detail How Mexico's Most Notorious Cartel Moved $60 Million Worth... | Business Insider
- And Now Venezuela Will Have To Go It Alone | Business Insider