Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Make That Coffee to Go | iBankCoin.com
- Stuck in the Middle with Merkel? Upcoming German State Elections | ZeroHedge
- CBO Thinks Millions Of Americans Aren't Going To Sign Up For Obamacare | ZeroHedge
- How Putin Just Saved Europe, and Other Geopolitical Tales | ZeroHedge
- Iraq and Syria Follow Lebanon’s Precedent | Financial Sense
- No Bubble At All: Jessica Alba's Diaper-Delivery Startup Is Valued At $1 Billion, Prepares For IPO | ZeroHedge
- 2nd American ISIS Fighter Killed In Syria, CNN Reports | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Obama Is Pursuing A 'Sweeping' International Climate Agreement —... | Business Insider
- Ukraine Shows Russian Soldiers Detained In East... | Business Insider
- Aaron Paul Wins Third Emmy For 'Breaking Bad' | Business Insider
- Fans Defy Kate Bush And Post Video Of Her First Concert In 35 Years On... | Business Insider
- 'The Internet Of Things' Will Change Virtually Everything... | Business Insider
- U.S. Kids Using Media Almost 8 Hours a Day - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- Apple's Smartwatch Will Debut On September 9 (AAPL) | Business Insider