Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Debate Results - Who Won? Who Lost? Who Was The Mystery Third Debater? | ZeroHedge
- The FT Goes Full Fearmonger: Electing Trump "Would Unravel The World" | ZeroHedge
- Global Trade To Grow At Slowest Pace Since Financial Crisis | ZeroHedge
- US Bank Stocks Slide After New Fed Tests Suggest Need For "Significant Increase In Capital" | ZeroHedge
- $356 Billion Fund Manager: "Now Is The Most Treacherous Time Ever. I've Never Seen This In My Career" | ZeroHedge
- The Dying Middle-Class | ZeroHedge
- Lawmakers Vow Override of Obama's 9/11 Victims Bill Veto | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- The maker of TempurPedic mattresses is crashing by more than 25% (TPX... | Business Insider
- We tested what might be one of the best pairs of sweatpants out there | Business Insider
- Trump turned one of the GOP's best Clinton attacks around on himself | Business Insider
- John Oliver thinks you should be 'f---ing outraged... | Business Insider
- HBO's new show 'Westworld' is set in a mind-bending robot theme park | Business Insider
- Skinnygirl founder Bethenny Frankel says Ellen DeGeneres gave her the best... | Business Insider