Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Girl Child Arrives | Financial Sense
- Why Real Reform Is Impossible: We Can't Believe The Mighty Titanic Could Actually Sink | ZeroHedge
- Pending Home Sales Disappoint, Realtors Fear Unhealthy Price Appreciation | ZeroHedge
- Italy's Renzi Goes Toe-to-Toe with the EU over Italy's Troubled Banks | ZeroHedge
- German Special Forces Raid Mosque, Apartments In Crackdown On Salafists | ZeroHedge
- For Those Who Slept Through The "Yen Rollercoaster", This Is What You Missed | ZeroHedge
- Two Birds, One M4: As NYPD Gears Up for Summer Of Chaos, Mayor de Blasio Secures Re-Election | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Something incredible happens when you fill a bubble with dry-ice vapor | Business Insider
- The 'Suicide Squad' director just shot down a huge fan theory about the... | Business Insider
- 11 healthy lunches you can make in less than 10 minutes | Business Insider
- Twitter warns that advertiser demand is falling and the stock is crashing (TWTR) | Business Insider
- 10 things you need to know before the opening bell | Business Insider
- Oscar-winning actress Brie Larson takes a powerful... | Business Insider
- ... | Business Insider