Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Trump Has 6 Goldman Appointees- Swamp Drains You | ZeroHedge
- Driverless Shuttles Hit Las Vegas: No Steering Wheels, No Brake Pedals | ZeroHedge
- Key Events In The Coming Week: Trump Inauguration, Davos, Theresa May, ECB, China GDP | ZeroHedge
- Matt Taibbi: "Insane Clown President Trump Was Right About The Media" | ZeroHedge
- "They Are The Opposition Party" - Trump May Evict Press From The White House | ZeroHedge
- The (Highly Speculative) Path to $10,000 Bitcoin | Financial Sense
- Mad As Hell | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China's foreign minister: Taiwan... | Business Insider
- Ocean City, Md.: America's Most Affordable Fun City | BusinessWeek
- You can’t understand the Fintech Revolution... | Business Insider
- One of the most transparent clothing companies out there is having a sale where it... | Business Insider
- Laptop Computer Reviews - BusinessWeek | BusinessWeek
- These are the world's best blockchain conferences and expos to attend in 2017 | Business Insider
- UK climate scientists are concerned about Trump's... | Business Insider