Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- CT Intends to Confiscate Your Pension Wealth | ZeroHedge
- The valuation of financial knowledge | ZeroHedge
- Donald Trump, Saudi Arabia, And The Petrodollar | ZeroHedge
- Could Trump's Immigration Ban Cause Another Housing Crash? | ZeroHedge
- Mother Nature Massacres Natural Gas Bulls | ZeroHedge
- French Bonds, Euro Spike After French Candidate Bayrou Endorses Macron, Le Pen's Chief Of Staff Detained | ZeroHedge
- Trump Delays New Travel Ban To Next Week, No Reason Given Why | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 10 reasons why the octopus is one of the most incredible creatures in the sea | Business Insider
- Exxon revises its oil and gas reserves lower by 3.3... | Business Insider
- The Anne Frank center’s director called Trump's... | Business Insider
- 2012 Honda CR-V | BusinessWeek
- Popeyes is soaring on news it's being acquired by the owner of... | Business Insider
- Carl Icahn has reportedly taken a stake in Bristol-Myers and its shares are jumping (BMY... | Business Insider
- Researchers finally pinpoint how a single doctor's prescribing... | Business Insider