Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- US Rig Count Drops For Record 19th Week In A Row | ZeroHedge
- 2010 Contrarian Prediction of the Disastrous Consequences of ZIRP & Free Money Policy In the Banking System, Year 5 | ZeroHedge
- "We're All Frogs In Boiling Water" Santelli Says After Lacy Hunt Warns "This Is Far From Over" | ZeroHedge
- A Full Analysis and Step-by-Step Guide for EU Area Residents To Aid In Escaping the Upcoming Bank Bail-ins & Capital Controls | ZeroHedge
- Markets Retreat on Increased Risk of Greek Default | Financial Sense
- When The ECB Starts Buying Corporate Bonds And Stocks Here's Where It Should Look | ZeroHedge
- Vice Spending Slows, Unless You’ve Got the Herb | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- 'Shark Tank' investor: Personal and professional relationships... | Business Insider
- Brazil executive says he paid $36.1 million to... | Business Insider
- 32 awesome photos of musicians performing at Coachella | Business Insider
- Messi nets 400th goal as Barca edge past Valencia | Business Insider
- Berdych bursts Monfils bubble in Monte Carlo semis | Business Insider
- The Warriors refused to trade Klay Thompson and gave him $69 million instead, and it was a genius... | Business Insider
- Notable... | StreetInsider.com