Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Devalues Yuan To Fresh 4-Year Lows, Arrests Top Securities Firm Exec As Stocks Slide Despite Rate Cuts | ZeroHedge
- Dudley Says "We Are A Long Way From Additional QE" | ZeroHedge
- Who Will Be The Bagholders This Time Around? | ZeroHedge
- For Albert Edwards This Is The One Definitive Measure That "We Are Now In A Bear Market" | ZeroHedge
- China & The Return Of The "Yellow Peril" - The Muddled Economics Of Scapegoating | ZeroHedge
- China Stunner: Real GDP Is Now A Negative -1.1%, Evercore ISI Calculates | ZeroHedge
- The Great Wall Of Money | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- State Department officials routinely sent secrets over... | Business Insider
- 10 things you need to know before European markets open | Business Insider
- For £195 this guy will hypnotize you to stay calm while the markets crumble | Business Insider
- Suze Orman, Debit-Card Dealer | BusinessWeek
- Bitcoin is at a 'fork in the road' — Here's what went down last time that happened... | Business Insider
- South Sudan president signs peace deal, with reservations... | Business Insider
- MSNBC ending Sharpton's daily show | Business Insider