Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Violence Erupts In Turkey After Prominent Lawyer Is Assassinated On Live TV | ZeroHedge
- US Real Estate: The Lay of the Land | Financial Sense
- ISIS Oil Trade Full Frontal: "Raqqa's Rockefellers", Bilal Erdogan, KRG Crude, And The Israel Connection | ZeroHedge
- Oil Jobs Lost: 250,000 and Counting, Texas Likely to See Massive Layoffs Soon | Financial Sense
- Will Next Week Be The Start Of The Crash Of The US Dollar? | ZeroHedge
- How Turkey Exports ISIS Oil To The World: The Scientific Evidence | ZeroHedge
- Mark Dice Confronts America's Zombie Shoppers | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Climate change and conflict, a perfect storm | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Les Miles will reportedly be out at LSU before their bowl game, despite hefty $15 million buyout... | Business Insider
- Brazil finds Zika virus causes deformities in babies | Business Insider
- The Latest: Some Ugandans spent 20 hours awaiting pope | Business Insider
- Boston police say no investigation in apparent Okafor... | Business Insider
- There are 21 rules for surviving your Wall Street holiday party | Business Insider