Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- A Nervous Trump Heads To The Capitol Again As 27 Health Plan Holdouts Remain | ZeroHedge
- Valeant: The End Of The Michael Pearson Era | ZeroHedge
- Pentagon Denies Trying To Shelve Study That Found $125 Billion In Waste | ZeroHedge
- London Attacker Is Khalid Masood, 52-Year-Old Brit With Prior Criminal Convictions | ZeroHedge
- Felix Zulauf: 2017 Could Be a "Game Changer" | Financial Sense
- Art Bubble Pops As Sales Crash To Lowest Level Since 'Great Recession' | ZeroHedge
- Tillerson: "I Didn't Want This Job" | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- How much cigarettes cost in the 10 most expensive cities in the world | Business Insider
- Another person has died on a for-profit prison transport | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- Twitter is exploring a new way to make money from its most active users | Business Insider
- An entrepreneur shares 5 behaviors that make you a bad boss without... | Business Insider
- These are Amazon’s picks for best books this March | Business Insider
- 7 signs you're too smart for your job | Business Insider