Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- AND THe NeXT LeHMaN MoMeNT Is... | ZeroHedge
- Scotland’s Independence Could Hurt British Pound | Financial Sense
- Lose the Pipe Dream Pal: Book the Trade | iBankCoin.com
- How Banks Continue FX Rigging Right Under The SEC's Noses | ZeroHedge
- Gazprom Says Kiev Should Blame Warsaw For Gas Supply Cut | ZeroHedge
- How Financial Bubbles Fester And Burst - Even As The Fed Says Not To Worry | ZeroHedge
- Economic Policy Treats Symptoms, Not Underlying Causes | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Yahoo Wants To Scan User Emails To Figure Out... | Business Insider
- The 12 Best Free Online Business Courses To Take This Fall | Business Insider
- Market Wrap: PPI Flat in... | StreetInsider.com
- Peter Thiel: Google Is A Monopoly (And It's A Good Thing) | Business Insider
- Check Out 10 Amazing Maker Inventions From The 2014 Intel Developer Forum... | Business Insider
- This Robot Can Load A Dishwasher — Thus Solving A Massive Mathematical... | Business Insider
- Number of websites explodes past a billion (and counting) | Business Insider