Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Regarding Crude | iBankCoin.com
- Just One Question About Yesterday's Last Minute "Berserk ETF" Freak Out | ZeroHedge
- US Oil Rig Count Tumbles Most In Over 5 Years,"Demand From Oilfield Customers Dropping Rapidly" | ZeroHedge
- Viewing Russia From the Inside | Financial Sense
- Conference Board Leading Economic Index Increased Again in November | Financial Sense
- OH YEAH | iBankCoin.com
- WINSHIP IS ON THE MENU | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Virginia Town is Best Place in the U.S. to Raise Kids | BusinessWeek
- Drew Brees Tops the Power 100 in 2012 | BusinessWeek
- Janus Capital's CEO Thinks Bill Gross Is Peyton Manning (JNS) | Business Insider
- NFL WEEK 16: Here Are Our Official Predictions For Who... | Business Insider
- A Master Chef Shows How To Cook The Perfect Burger In Your Own Kitchen | Business Insider
- Why Wendy's Won't Serve Breakfast | Business Insider
- Bayern claim new league records in Mainz win | Business Insider