Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dow Plunges 360 Points, Erases All Post-QE Gains | ZeroHedge
- Lazy Greeks At Fault?? These Two Charts Suggest Otherwise! | ZeroHedge
- Goldman On The Myths & Realities Of Russia's Oil Sector | ZeroHedge
- Utilities Leading the Market Higher | Financial Sense
- Baltic Dry Index: 666 | ZeroHedge
- The Mystery Deepens: Dutch Central Bank Denies Reports It Bought Gold For The First Time In 17 Years | ZeroHedge
- Larry Summers Warns on Fed Rate Hikes | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Big Banks Back Away From Mortgages; Nonbank Lenders Pick up Slack | TheStreet.com
- Argentina's President Wants To Dissolve The Country... | Business Insider
- How A $12 Million Monet Painting Was Fully Restored After A Man Punched It | Business Insider
- New York City And East Coast Airports Are... | Business Insider
- How A Tiny Brewery Run By Monks Came To Make The Best Beer In The World | Business Insider
- Americans still confusing Sikhs for Muslims | Business Insider
- These Two Charts Explain Why Kleiner Perkins Wanted To Buy This Four-Year-Old VC... | Business Insider