Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Dip-Buyers Rescue Nasdaq Back Above Record Close | ZeroHedge
- Many of You Are Gonna Need to Shut Up | iBankCoin.com
- A Net Assessment of the World | Financial Sense
- New Home Sales Rebound Despite Median Price Rising To Just Shy Of All Time High | ZeroHedge
- IRS Blames Taxpayer Data Breach On Russian "Crime Syndicates" | ZeroHedge
- GDP Seasonal Adjustment: There’s No Smoking Gun | Financial Sense
- Secular Trends in New Residential Building Permits and Housing Starts | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Here's where your dead body is more likely to be cremated than buried | Business Insider
- Here come durable goods orders... | Business Insider
- Trolls cast pall over US spelling bee | Business Insider
- Google’s genius futurist has one theory that he says will rule the future — and... | Business Insider
- Why a burger chain with only 68 restaurants is worth almost as much as Wendy's | Business Insider
- Radical, science fiction-inspired reasons humans should colonize Mars | Business Insider
- Kvitova struggles as giants make Paris entrance | Business Insider