Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Are We Addicted to Failure? | ZeroHedge
- Europe – Here is What the Wealthy are Doing | ZeroHedge
- Futures Dragged Down By Visa, Amazon Despite USDJPY Levitation | ZeroHedge
- Is It 1999 All Over Again? | Financial Sense
- Yellen Hints at Detrimental Fed Action | Financial Sense
- A Long-Term Look at Inflation | Financial Sense
- A Unique Opportunity Awaits | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Experts Break Down The Two Plane Crashes In Bad Weather That Happened In The Last 24 Hours | Business Insider
- What The Heck Happened To Bill Ackman? | Business Insider
- How Frozen Yogurt Shops Are Designed To Get You To Spend More Money | Business Insider
- In One Tweet, Here's Why Apple Will Be Happy To... | Business Insider
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- German Business Confidence Continues To Fall | Business Insider
- Miami Is Finally Doing Something About Its Lack Of Mega-Yacht Parking Spots | Business Insider