Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- U.S. Bond Strategy: Stick With High-Yield | Financial Sense
- Enter the Inter | Financial Sense
- Fannie, Freddie Crash After Bill Unwinding GSEs Passes Hurdle | ZeroHedge
- Europe Weakens Again As Investors Seek The Safety Of... Portuguese Stocks! | ZeroHedge
- Small Business Sentiment Ends a Three-Month String of Improvement | Financial Sense
- Agri-Commodity Prices: A New High! | Financial Sense
- Going with the Flow of the Market’s Music | iBankCoin.com
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- My High School No Longer Holds Dances Because Students... | Business Insider
- SOCIAL INSIDER:... | Business Insider
- The 10 Most Common Startup Mistakes | Business Insider
- How Facebook Could Overtake Google | TheStreet.com
- Female Protagonists Made Up A Tiny Percentage Of 2013's Top Movies... | Business Insider
- This One Image Shows The Incredible Power Of China's... | Business Insider
- Netflix Revenues Are Closing In... | Business Insider