Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- IMF Director Admits: Greek Bailout Was "To Save German & French Banks" | ZeroHedge
- Dramatic Explosion Footage: Warren Buffett-Owned Oil Freight Train Derails, Bursts Into Flames | ZeroHedge
- Chart Of The Day: Recession Dead Ahead? | ZeroHedge
- Global Bond Yields & Crude Tumble As EURUSD Tests 1.10 | ZeroHedge
- What the Latest Payroll Data Really Means for the Labor Market | Financial Sense
- The Circus Is In Town | ZeroHedge
- US Ambassador To Cyprus Withdrawn After Diplomatic Blunder Involving Nemtsov Murder | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The Best Business Schools of 2011 | BusinessWeek
- Here's Mark Zuckerberg's one tip for hiring employees (FB) | Business Insider
- Facing storm, Clinton calls for release of her emails | Business Insider
- Security once shredded a ham someone sent Mark Zuckerberg because they thought it was... | Business Insider
- Dashcam video allegedly shows spot where Putin critic Nemtsov... | Business Insider
- If you're moving to San Francisco, this housing flyer will... | Business Insider
- The first crop of Apple Watch apps will likely be battery hogs, says a guy that... | Business Insider