Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Hidden Agenda Behind Saudi Arabia’s Market Share Strategy | ZeroHedge
- Capital Flight Intensifies in Italy and Spain | Financial Sense
- Caught On Tape: 800 Angry Farmers Storm Greek Ministry, Beat Cops With Shepherd's Sticks | ZeroHedge
- Baby Boomers Are Drowning In Loans: Debt Of Average 67-Year-Old Soared 169% In Past 12 Years | ZeroHedge
- Market Analysis - Keep Your Cool (Video) | ZeroHedge
- Is This Debt's Last Rattle? | ZeroHedge
- US Allies Are Now Fighting CIA-Backed Rebels In Syria | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- The world in photos this week | Business Insider
- The Federal Reserve is bracing for deflation for the first time since the 1930s | Business Insider
- More details are starting to emerge about the iPhone 7 (AAPL) | Business Insider
- How the 'Deadpool' cast looks compared to their comic-book counterparts | Business Insider
- Betty White gives the most hilarious review of the 'glorious' 'Deadpool... | Business Insider
- What it’s really like to fly in ‘zero gravity’ like Ok Go did in their... | Business Insider
- The reviews of Ben Stiller's 'Zoolander 2' are absolutely brutal | Business Insider