Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- The Complete Greek Referendum Walk-Thru: When, How, What To Expect; And What Comes Next | ZeroHedge
- IMF Bolsters Greek "No" Vote, Says Country Needs Much Bigger Debt Haircut | ZeroHedge
- "Heartbreaking" Scene Unfolds At Greek Banks As Pensioners Clamor For Cash | ZeroHedge
- What It All Comes Down To On Sunday | ZeroHedge
- Happy 4th of Joohl-Eye | iBankCoin.com
- "It Could Never Happen Here" - America Is Not Greece | ZeroHedge
- Contagion Continues: Italy, Spain Stocks Tumble To Post-Greferendum Lows | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Unusual 11 Mid-... | StreetInsider.com
- The BBC is cutting 1,000 jobs | Business Insider
- If you weren’t convinced Hollywood has run out of ideas — here's your proof | Business Insider
- Ranked: 29 foods that Americans do best | Business Insider
- 3 factors are brewing the perfect storm for shark attacks | Business Insider
- RBS faces a $13 billion fine for its pre-financial crisis... | Business Insider
- Here's when all your favorite TV shows are returning this fall | Business Insider