Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- China Warns 'Will Respond To Trump Presidency' | ZeroHedge
- Why Is Tesla Short Interest Near All Time High: Each Car Is "Valued" At $620,000, And More | ZeroHedge
- When Is A Boot On The Ground Not A Boot On The Ground? | ZeroHedge
- Ted Cruz Explodes In Epic Anti-Trump Rant: "He Is Utterly Amoral, Narcissist, Philandering, Pathological Liar" | ZeroHedge
- Buchanan: If There's A 2nd Cold War, Did Russia Really Start It? | ZeroHedge
- Frontrunning: May 5 | ZeroHedge
- Ken Rogoff's Shockingly Simple Advice To Emerging Markets: Hoard Gold | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Why 'Captain America: Civil War' is the best Marvel superhero movie yet | Business Insider
- A huge ad company just shifted $200 million of its TV money to... | Business Insider
- These are the ten most frugal cities in America | Business Insider
- Alibaba tops sales forecasts, shares soar 5% (BABA) | Business Insider
- Israeli chemists have found a way to hide... | Business Insider
- 25 Ways to Make LinkedIn Work for You | BusinessWeek
- The 12 wealthiest public colleges in America | Business Insider