Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- Q3 GDP To Slide After 16% Surge In August Trade Deficit; Imports Jump As Exports Drop | ZeroHedge
- Peter Schiff: The Fed Has Created A "Bad Is Good" Economy | ZeroHedge
- Treasury Sells 3-Month Bills At 0% Yield For First Time Ever | ZeroHedge
- Protected: FAQ FOR BACK-END | Altucher Confidential
- Why Are You So Angry? | Financial Sense
- Egypt’s Gas Find Sets Mediterranean Geopolitics on Fire | Financial Sense
- Southeast Asia’s High Speed Rail Network | Financial Sense
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- Two-try Macovei leads Romania to upset World Cup win | Business Insider
- LEADING OFF: Aces up in NL wild card; Puig looking "... | Business Insider
- Nigeria Senate names 20 nominees for president's... | Business Insider
- Fuming Fever ready to crank it back up in Indy for Game 3... | Business Insider
- Stolen giant pumpkin stolen returned to South Dakota... | Business Insider
- House hardliners prepare to vet candidates for speaker | Business Insider
- South Carolina flood: Door-to-door searches, swamped roads... | Business Insider