Volatility: It's what's for dinner
Overall, instruments such as the VXX were a sucker's bet in 2012. Savvy investors know that you're not supposed to hold VXX for an extended period of time.
However, for those not-so-savvy investors out there, holding VXX for all of 2012 would have resulted in an 80% loss.
The January Effect and Taxmageddon
Investors are accustomed to a general increase in stock prices during the month of January. This rally is generally attributed to an increase in buying, which follows the drop in price that typically happens in December when investors, seeking to create tax losses to offset capital gains, prompt a sell-off.
2012 had a great January effect. In spite of that, 2013 has a lot of uncertainty surrounding Taxmageddon.
Taxmageddon is a one-year $494 billion tax increase slated to strike the economy on January 1, 2013, if a deal is not made
Here we are on December 27th and there is no deal in sight as the deadline nears.
Ask yourself this - will there be a January effect in 2013 if Americans incur a nearly $500 Billion tax increase?
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- THE VoLCKeR RuLe... | ZeroHedge
- DAN the Man and Other Ideas | iBankCoin.com
- The Ultimate Guide To December’s FOMC Meeting: Breaking Down The Participants | ZeroHedge
- New York City Has The Most Homeless Children Since The Great Depression | ZeroHedge
- Tanking Stocks Are Catching Down To Credit's Reality | ZeroHedge
- Daily Scorecard | iBankCoin.com
- Pope Francis Named Time Person Of 2013 | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- These 21 Amazing Researchers Pioneered The Way For Today's Female Scientists | Business Insider
- Supply Chain Management: The Next Big Thing? | BusinessWeek
- This Guy's Galaxy S4 Caught Fire, And He Says Samsung Won't Give Him A New... | Business Insider
- 10 Things You Need To Know Before The Opening Bell (QQQ, SPY, DIA, COST) | Business Insider
- Here Is Barack Obama's Powerful Tribute To Nelson Mandela [... | Business Insider
- A Huge Chinese Bitcoin Arbitrage Has Disappeared | Business Insider
- The Sign Language Interpreter At Mandela’s Memorial Was 'A Complete Fraud... | Business Insider