Volatility Wins Again
Always a risky bet but after the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short Term Futures (VXX) hits 52-week lows it due for a bounce. Such is the case this week after the VXX got down to $12.70 last Friday. Today the VXX is at $13.61 and fear enters back into the market.
Could all the ETFs trading on the market be part of the increased volatility? That's the question theStreet.com digs into today. Mastery recommends reading their findings.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Since their creation in 1993, ETFs have opened up a new channel of arbitrage for market participants and now account for 25-35 percent of daily trading volume.
ETFs allow investors to track indices or baskets of assets, allowing for more diversification and access to illiquid assets. Engaging in arbitrage, investors can profit from price deviations between the ETF and the Net Asset Value (NAV) of its underlying assets. While giving investors a low-cost investment tool, researchers argue whether ETFs may have brought some adverse effects to the market from arbitrage (continue).
Best of the Blogs
Scanning and identifying the best blog entries every hour
- EU Celebrates 60th Birthday As European Leaders Scramble To Hold "Fraying" Union Together | ZeroHedge
- Why The Healthcare Reform Bill Went Down In Flames | ZeroHedge
- Buckle Up, the Bank of Japan Has Blown Up the Markets (Again) | ZeroHedge
- Car Rams Into Pedestrians In Islington Area Of London; One Male Arrested | ZeroHedge
- Trump "Endorses" Jeanine Pirro's Call For Paul Ryan To Step Down | ZeroHedge
- Goldman Asks "Have We Reached Peak Cash?" | ZeroHedge
- One Dead, 14 Injured After Ohio Nightclub Shooting; Shooter At Large | ZeroHedge
The most relevant financial news and articles from the Internets
- China's new missile could threaten an arms war in the Pacific | Business Insider
- A top Wall Street banker quit his job to fight for civil... | Business Insider
- Trump's childhood home in New York City just sold for $2.1 million — take a... | Business Insider
- Treasury Secretary Mnuchin says AI taking US jobs is '50-100... | Business Insider
- Wall Street already knows how to spin Trumpcare's ugly... | Business Insider
- Doing this simple stretch when you wake up can give you more energy | Business Insider
- This 90-year-old... | Business Insider